PDA

View Full Version : Final fantasy 10 the last final fantasy?

sabin101
05-27-2012, 08:25 PM
To me final fantasy 10 is the last game that truly felt like a final fantasy game. I tried 12 and it was such a major departure of what I expected a final fantasy game to be like. It just did not feel right at all. I knew once sakaguchi san left whatever your feelings are about him it was him who created the series in the first place. Without him we would not be talking about this series in the first place. It was his vision and story telling that really got me playing all the up to 10. I have not had a chance to play both final fantasy 13 games so I cannot comment on those games. I think once he left everything started to crumble and I think square should have stopped making final fantasy games and just start a new series. I cannot come up with one series that has gone on this long. It seems that square is trying new things and it is not their best work. To me ff 10 was the last game that actually felt worthy of having the final fantasy name attached to the game. I know some people might disagree with me but that is what I have felt for awhile. Lets discuss this.

Hollycat
05-27-2012, 09:39 PM
12 is better.

Fynn
05-28-2012, 06:17 AM
12 is better.

Word. It was different, of course, but IMO it was a step in the right direction, and the world and battle system seemed like a natural evolution of what we've seen thus far. X was narmy and tried to strangle me with its plot, which had little originality or genuine emotions. :roll2

Karifean
05-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Story-wise the Final Fantasy series died for me the moment the "Square Enix" logo popped up at the start instead of Squaresoft. XII is still a good game, as are XIII and XIII-2, but they can never live up to the expectations some have from a game called Final Fantasy.
The games may not be as good as they once were, but they're still enjoyable experiences. Just don't get your expectations too high. If you enjoy them for what they are and don't hate them for what they're not, they're fun to play.

black orb
05-29-2012, 08:25 PM
>>> 12 was good but it was part of the Ivalice world so it was too different from the other FF games..:luca:

sabin101
05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Story-wise the Final Fantasy series died for me the moment the "Square Enix" logo popped up at the start instead of Squaresoft. XII is still a good game, as are XIII and XIII-2, but they can never live up to the expectations some have from a game called Final Fantasy.
The games may not be as good as they once were, but they're still enjoyable experiences. Just don't get your expectations too high. If you enjoy them for what they are and don't hate them for what they're not, they're fun to play.
I agree with what you said about the moment square enix logo popped up instead of square soft being the name. Back then square soft games to me used to mean something. Each game had so much creativity and now all I see is medicore games that could barely even scratch those good games they came out with back in the hay day. I wish it was not the case but it is what it is. Another most of the best artists where either forced out or left do to conflict over certain things.

Hollycat
05-29-2012, 09:15 PM
The games used to be about fun, now they are 100% about story.

black orb
05-29-2012, 09:19 PM
>>> More like 100% about bad story..:luca:

Fynn
05-30-2012, 06:42 AM
The thing about games revolving around story is that it can be either awesome or horrbile, depending on if you like the story. XII was nice since it tried to remedy that by giving us this huge world, an engaging battle system and more sidequests. It's much safer for many people to like. And yet it's the most divisive entry in the series. How is that possible? :confused:

Shiny
05-30-2012, 12:31 PM
While I have grown to like Final Fantasy 12 a bit more, FFX was the last Final Fantasy I thoroughly enjoyed so I do consider it my last.

Alpha2099
05-30-2012, 07:35 PM
I couldn't get into the battle system of 12. The Gambits and Techniques kinda confused me. Then again, I'm not very used to non-traditional battle systems, apart from the Addition system in The Legend of Dragoon.

Roogle
05-30-2012, 09:53 PM
What constitutes a Final Fantasy title can be highly subjective to the player. I prefer the older Final Fantasy games to the newer Final Fantasy games, but there is a divisive line between each set of Final Fantasy games that come out for a console.

The Final Fantasy games that were available for the Nintendo were a lot different than the games that were available for the Super Nintendo. A lot of this has to do with hardware upgrades, but there are some thematic changes from each set.

I won't say that the series is over until the developers say that the series is over, but I know that I personally lost a great deal of interest in the titles as the development time for each title took a lot longer than it used to.

KentaRawr!
05-31-2012, 12:46 AM
10 was definitely the last one that felt like a traditional Final Fantasy, but I feel like 12 offered up a very interesting evolution of the ATB system. Then 13 did it in a way I really liked, too. But admittedly, I'm really nostalgic for the feel of the older games. That's probably why I enjoyed Lost Odyssey so much. :P

sabin101
05-31-2012, 02:17 AM
That is what I am thinking as well that ten was the last traditional final fantasy game that square came out with. I miss those kind of games. I don't see square going back to those kind of games anytime soon though. I just seem games like final fantasy 13 and I have mixed feelings about the game. The graphics look great but I keep hearing fans are not really pleased with a lot of things in the game. Hopefully square can come up with a game that is totally awesome and makes fans want more.

Alpha2099
05-31-2012, 03:56 AM
Since gaming culture is shifting toward a more MMO-centered style, it's unlikely that a traditional Final Fantasy will be coming back anytime soon.

Roogle
06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
10 was definitely the last one that felt like a traditional Final Fantasy, but I feel like 12 offered up a very interesting evolution of the ATB system. Then 13 did it in a way I really liked, too. But admittedly, I'm really nostalgic for the feel of the older games. That's probably why I enjoyed Lost Odyssey so much. :P

I think Lost Odyssey would have been an instant classic if its battle system were more interesting. Suppose if it had the Active Time Battle System from Final Fantasy?

ShinGundam
06-02-2012, 03:48 AM

I think Lost Odyssey would have been an instant classic if its battle system were more interesting. Suppose it had the Active Time Battle System from Final Fantasy?
The battles are turn-based and similar to shadow hearts than traditional FF.

Roogle
06-07-2012, 12:12 AM
No, I'm sorry, I meant to express a thought exercise. Do you think Lost Odyssey would have been much better if it had an Active Time Battle system from a Final Fantasy game? I do.

Jinx
06-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Wait, what kind of battle system does Lost Odyssey have?

sabin101
06-07-2012, 02:14 PM
From the sites I have been looking at just now it says it is a turn based fighting system. I hope that helps since I have not played the game yet. Since sakaguchi is the god farther of turn based games I hope they did a good job doing that.