PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012 Thread

charliepanayi
05-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Thought we should have a separate thread for the upcoming European Championships - so who will win it? How will England do (not to mention Ireland)? Will there be a Denmark/Greece-type shock or will Spain make history? And what vegetable will the tabloids portray Roy Hodgson as when it's all over?

Bubba
05-30-2012, 03:53 PM
England can maybe make the quarter finals but that's as far as they'll go, in my opinion. We just don't have a great squad of players and with a new manager I think it'll be tough. I'd be happy if we made it out of the group but that isn't guaranteed.

I think Germany are gonna take it this year. Spain are obviously favourites but I think they may come unstuck unexpectedly against someone. Maybe the French in the quarters or even the Germans themselves in the semis.

Top goalscorer will be Andy Ca... haha! I mean either Mario Gomez or Van Persie.

Psychotic
05-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm with bubba - I'm backing Germany to win this year. Spain has literally the most broken and ridiculous midfield ever - Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Mata, Silva, Busquets, Cazorla, Navas and Fabregas. Any one of these would be England's best midfielder. Cesc Fabregas is their worst midfielder for fuck's sake. But I dunno, I don't fancy them for some reason. Probably because they have literally no strikers, with Villa dead, Torres in zombie mode and Llorente seemingly burnt out. I think they will probably play Dave Silva as their False 9 striker.

As for England... I think they will draw all three games (or lose to France and draw the other two) and go out in the group stages :greenie: Unless THE ALMIGHTY ANDY CARROLL leads us to glory. You be very careful with what you say about Big Andy, England's No. 9, heir to Lord Heskey and England's greatest hope, bubba!

Ireland are the new Greece btw.

DK
05-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Yep going with Germany as well, although when England go out in the group stages I will be supporting Spain (Read: Dave Silva).

Big Andy to be our best player by miles, then get tooled at the yes or no game a small scouse woman.

The Captain
05-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Expected Quarterfinals:

Poland (Group A Winner) versus Netherlands (Group B Runner-up)
Germany (Group B Winner) versus Czech Republic (Group A Runner-up)
Spain (Group C Winner) versus England (Group D Runner-up)
France (Group D Winner) versus Italy (Group C Runner-up)

I fancy Poland to be the surprise team this year, based on a fairly easy group and the home-field advantage. The Netherlands will just beat out Portugal but will be behind tournament favorite Germany in Group B.

Spain meanwhile will sail through group C but I really think their lack of strikers will hurt them, maybe even against England. I think France gets top of the group thanks to goal difference over England, as I see both teams drawing their game and then beating the other two teams in the group.

Semis:

Poland (SHOCKER!) Versus Germany
England (SHOCKER!) Versus France

Final: Germany versus France

Golden Boot: Miroslav Klose (Once more for the golden oldie) or Karim Benzema

Take care all.

Cuchulainn
05-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Who optimistically put Ireland as a specified team in the poll?

Rocket Edge
05-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Winners: Germany

They seem to be peaking at about the best time possible with their young squad. I can see someone like Ozil or Muller getting player of the tournament. They hold onto the ball well and score goals for fun. Spain's obvious problems are what you have already said. I think the dark horses in this tournament are France under their new manager. Blanc is bringing in fresh blood and they have been pretty solid since the last world cup.

As for England, they are hard to predict. If they stand a hope at winning they have to ovoid possession holding teams like Spain or Germany, where they will presumably resort to long ball tactics. If the Netherlands can get Van Persie on form or have Huntelaar banging them in as he has done then they will be dangerous as any. It's an open tournament, gotta love it. The only teams I can see winning it then are Spain, Germany, Netherlands, or France. Of course Ireland have a chance with Dickie Dunne at the back & midfield maestro Glenn Whelan bossing play. :smug:

Should be a great tournament. Make sure you do your fantasy teams lads!

McDonald's Euro 2012 Fantasy Football (http://en.euro2012fantasy.uefa.com/)

League code to join: 63501-21271

Psychotic
05-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Will do my FF squad in the next couple of days.

Also we can't all pick Germany! That's boring!

charliepanayi
05-30-2012, 08:28 PM
Expected Quarterfinals:

Poland (Group A Winner) versus Netherlands (Group B Runner-up)
Germany (Group B Winner) versus Czech Republic (Group A Runner-up)
Spain (Group C Winner) versus England (Group D Runner-up)
France (Group D Winner) versus Italy (Group C Runner-up)

I fancy Poland to be the surprise team this year, based on a fairly easy group and the home-field advantage. The Netherlands will just beat out Portugal but will be behind tournament favorite Germany in Group B.

Spain meanwhile will sail through group C but I really think their lack of strikers will hurt them, maybe even against England. I think France gets top of the group thanks to goal difference over England, as I see both teams drawing their game and then beating the other two teams in the group.

Semis:

Poland (SHOCKER!) Versus Germany
England (SHOCKER!) Versus France

Final: Germany versus France

Golden Boot: Miroslav Klose (Once more for the golden oldie) or Karim Benzema

Take care all.

Just to say, your semi-final lineup can't happen - the draw works as follows:

Winner of Poland (Group A Winner) versus Netherlands (Group B Runner-up) plays winner of Spain (Group C Winner) versus England (Group D Runner-up)
Winner of Germany (Group B Winner) versus Czech Republic (Group A Runner-up) plays winner of France (Group D Winner) versus Italy (Group C Runner-up)

I'm going to tip Italy. Like France they're a lot better than they were in 2010, plus there's another match-fixing scandal like there was in 2006! I just feel they might revert to Good Italy for the tournament. Germany are an obvious threat. Spain will be there or thereabouts but I think they might find one team too good this time round. And I think England might go out in the group stage, with France and Sweden making it out of the group. Not too sure if there'll be a dark horse yet, Poland could be boosted by home advantage as mentioned though. And they have a good group to start with.

In most of these tournaments the team that everyone raves about during the group stage never wins it (in contrast Greece and Denmark both won just one group match when they went on to win the tournament), so whoever gets off to a flyer, don't expect them to go all the way.

Crop
05-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Don't you idiots watch ITV football? England are obviously going to win it, Adrian Chiles practically says so.

charliepanayi
05-30-2012, 10:05 PM
We only watch ITV football on mute, to save our sanity.

Hollycat
05-30-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm rooting for the Dallas Cowboys.

The Captain
05-31-2012, 01:12 AM
Just to say, your semi-final lineup can't happen - the draw works as follows: Winner of Poland (Group A Winner) versus Netherlands (Group B Runner-up) plays winner of Spain (Group C Winner) versus England (Group D Runner-up)
Winner of Germany (Group B Winner) versus Czech Republic (Group A Runner-up) plays winner of France (Group D Winner) versus Italy (Group C Runner-up)

That's what I get for using ESPN as my reference. They just corrected their website too.

Well, that revises things a bit. Now, I expect a Spain - Germany final. Do they play a 3rd place match?

Take care all.

charliepanayi
05-31-2012, 08:56 AM
No, apparently the third place playoff in 1980 was so dull UEFA scrapped them for European Championships thereafter. In one way it's a shame, third place playoffs are completely pointless but they tend to be better games than the final in recent World Cups.

Chris
05-31-2012, 03:17 PM
We (Denmark) have excellent individual players, but as a team, we suck ass.

Psychotic
05-31-2012, 04:14 PM
We (Denmark) have excellent individual players, but as a team, we suck ass.Daniel Agger will lead you to glory.

Fynn
05-31-2012, 04:18 PM
To everybody saying Poland will win anything: pffft! :p

All I know is that these matches are seriously going to make life here in Poznań harder.

Psychotic
05-31-2012, 04:24 PM
PoznańHave you ever done this? Man city do the Poznan at Wembley - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxvJieLSasA)

charliepanayi
05-31-2012, 05:38 PM
To everybody saying Poland will win anything: pffft! :p

All I know is that these matches are seriously going to make life here in Poznań harder.

Prepare to laugh at these predictions for the latter stages then.

Poland v Netherlands
Italy v Sweden
Germany v Russia
France v Spain

Poland v Italy
Germany v France

Italy v Germany (Italy win)

It's 1982 all over again.

Psychotic
05-31-2012, 06:47 PM
TOOT TOOT

PANIC OVER BOYS

HERE COMES JORDAN HENDERSON

ENGLAND'S NUMBER 8

(Henderson was not awful in the 3-4 games he played in his actual position, CM. Is horrendous as a RM though yes)

Bubba
05-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Oh my smurfing God. What is he thinking?

I may be biased but I really can't understand why Michael Carrick isn't getting a look in. I'm almost certain now we'll be making a swift exit from this tournament.

Psychotic
05-31-2012, 07:29 PM
You're not biased because I would put Carrick in the first XI over the likes of Barry and Lampard anyway. But little Mikey was too precious and refused to go unless it could be guaranteed he was a starter.

Old Manus
05-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Alright, I've slept off the hangover after emptying the drinks cabinet last night (it didn't turn out to be one very twisted nightmare), and am back to give some friendly entirely non-partisan thoughts on Euro 2012 ie England. I invite you all to mercilessly quote this post come the end of the tournament in a likely successful attempt in proving I know nothing about football.

I wouldn't back them to get out the groups. I didn't have a great feeling at first but with Lampard out - I never thought I'd say this - that's a blow, especially when the replacement is Jordan Henderson. England now have the quite likely situation that their starting XI will include Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Glen Johnson. Liverpool's four worst players (shut up Psybeans, Andy Carroll is useless). It's going to be hoofball. I know it's all 'WE HAVE LOW EXPECTATIONS LOL', but for me, getting to the second round will be the biggest task, after that it's a lottery, so who knows.

It could work in England's favour that the first game is versus France - their toughest opposition - as opening games are usually quite defensive, and I could see them getting murdered out there if it was the third game. I might have a cheeky fiver on Ukraine and France going up (in that order) at 14/1, home nations usually do quite well and it's a pretty even group.

I think France are dark horses to win it, and might even back the filthy Portuguese to get to the final. I think the Germans are probably the most likely candidates though. Croatia may go far.

Psychotic
05-31-2012, 08:36 PM
imagine a speck of dirt underneath andy carroll's fingernails

that speck is danny graham. :cool:

Along with Big Andy, Glen Johnson is not one of Liverpool's four worst players - have you never heard of Charlie Adam? Johnson has actually been relatively decent this season - Liverpool's defence has not been the problem.

Pete for President
06-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Speaking on behalf of the Dutch I don't think our odds are looking too favorable with Germany, Portugal and underdog Denmark in our group. Anything can happen!

Psychotic
06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Six Liverpool players in the England squad! Ahhhh you're all going to know the pain I have felt this season :) Having said that, Martin Kelly is one of the better English players we have, and arguably a better RB than Glen Johnson anyway.

Before anyone says it, Micah Richards and Michael Carrick both refused to be on the stand-by list, so :monster:

(Rio Ferdinand, though, can just lick my balls)

charliepanayi
06-03-2012, 07:33 PM
More like Micah Richards didn't want to be in the squad with John Terry. I can just about buy one player refusing to be on standby, but two?

The Captain
06-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Come on Roy, surely you can find a place for Jay Spearing and John Flanigan too? Just go all in Liverpool.

Take care all.

Old Manus
06-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Surely he's banking on he fact that Liverpool coming 8th means that they're more likely to scrape into the last eight if he uses all their players.

The Captain
06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
If that's the case, Roy is crazy like a fox... and don't call me Shirley.

(sorry, had to do it).

Take care all.

Psychotic
06-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Surely he's banking on he fact that Liverpool coming 8th means that they're more likely to scrape into the last eight if he uses all their players.It's probaby because we're a good cup team.

charliepanayi
06-06-2012, 08:19 PM
So presumably he'll leave out as many Liverpool players as possible in the group stage.

charliepanayi
06-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Better than expected opening game, decent amount of drama - terrible red card decision against Greece, goalkeeping howlers for both goals, not very good missed penalty. It's begun!

Bubba
06-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Yep, cracking opening game. Enjoyed seeing Mr. Bean in net for Greece.

The Captain
06-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Just got in, so I'm going to settle down and watch the second match. sounds like the opening game was exciting!

Final Starting Team Lineup:

Went for an offensive squad with big players in midfield.

GK:
Given - Think he can pull off some big saves and will need to.

D:
Maniatis - The Greek defend well.
Strinic - I think Croatia may surprise in the end and the price was right.

M:
Iniesta - More likely then Xavi to score.
Xabi Alonso - LOVE him and he is Spain's penalty taker.
Ozil - Probably the best midfielder playing right now (If you count Ronaldo as a winer/striker).
Gerrard - England will only do well if he does and I think he has something left. Just so long as he doesnt tackle his way in to a red card.
Sneijder - The Netherlands are the darkhorse team and he plays big in the big games.

F:
Benzema - In a rich vein of form and really like what France are doing.
Klose - All he does is score, score score. I think he starts over Gomez.
Jelavic - Croatia will rely on him to come up big and he looked great during the EPL season.

Boy, Russia looks good early on. I think I may be wrong about the Czech Republic advancing......

Take care all.

Psychotic
06-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Feeling pretty smug right about now that I signed Lewandowski and Dzagoev for my FF team at the last minute. :smug:

krissy
06-08-2012, 09:27 PM
agreed on that red card for greece
absolute bs, both times the yellow was undeserved
hilarious red card by the polish goalie though i dunno how else to describe it
decent game

Old Manus
06-08-2012, 10:46 PM
All I could think when watching Russia was that it was just like watching the Swans. Same formation, same triangles, same switches of play. Except they could actually score (once Kerzhakov was taken off at least, that's his tournament over, absolute shocker). :shobon:

The Captain
06-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Revised Prediction Time:

Group A:

Russia 7 Points (Two Wins and A Draw)
Poland 5 Points (One Win and Two Draw)
Greece 2 Points (Two Draws And A Loss)
Czech Republic 1 Points (One Draw and Two Losses)

Group B:

Germany 9 Points (Three Wins)
Netherlands 4 Points (One Win, One Loss, One Draw)
Denmark 3 Points (One Win and Two Losses)
Portugal 1 Point (One Draw, 2 Losses)

Group C:

Spain 9 Points (Three Wins)
Croatia 6 Points (Two Wins And One Loss)
Italy 1 Points (Draw and two Losses)
Ireland 1 Points (Draw and two Losses)

Group D:

England 5 Points (Win And Two Draws)
France 5 Points (Win And Two Draws)
Ukraine 3 Points (3 Draws)
Sweden 1 Point (One Draw and Two Losses)

Which Sets Up:

Russia V Netherlands
Spain V France

Germany V Poland
England V Croatia

Looking very much forward to tomorrow's matchups!

Take care all.

DK
06-08-2012, 11:47 PM
On paper tomorrow's games should be awesome but after today they are probably going to be drab 0-0 draws. Szczesny :lol: such a giant ponce.

Pete for President
06-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Us Dutchies are not amused. Then again, aside from the first 20 minutes we played awful. Referee could and maybe should have called the penalty for hands, but what can you do.

krissy
06-09-2012, 07:13 PM
eh that hand wasn't intentional

Rocket Edge
06-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Fecking Szczesny got me -2 points. Dzagoev & Shirokov saved me though, beautiful men. Denmark's result has blown group B open.

charliepanayi
06-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Denmark beating Netherlands - interesting. Robben has clearly learnt nothing from the European Cup final.

Harry Redknapp on the BBC pundit's team - argh *mutes TV*

At least we don't have to sit through another debate over goaline technology just yet. Ronaldo will probably score a rocket and this game will wind up 1-0 :(

Pete for President
06-09-2012, 09:21 PM

As far as I know it doesn't have to be intentional to call the foul. Plus, technically it occurred once in the first half and once in the second, the latter more obvious as it hit the arm twice. Anyway, it's debatable. (sp?)

Robben has clearly learnt nothing from the European Cup final.

I think you meant the World Cup final? Either way, agreed! All we need to do now is beat the Germans and Portugal, so it either ends up super epic or complete disaster for the Dutchies.

charliepanayi
06-09-2012, 09:24 PM
No, I meant the European Cup final!

Psychotic
06-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Fecking Szczesny got me -2 points. Dzagoev & Shirokov saved me though, beautiful men. Denmark's result has blown group B open.And I thought picking Cech was a cock up!

Anyway I think what made Denmark so effective was the way their centre backs Agger (TRUE Denmark captain, FUCK YOU CHRISTIAN POULSEN! :argh:) and Kjaer were comfortable on the ball and quite willing to bring it a long way out of defence. You'd never fucking catch the likes of John Terry doing that, which is why England will fail. The only thing that England have that comes close is Mr. Rio Ferdinand, and even he doesn't have equal technical skills to those two.

Bubba
06-10-2012, 04:31 AM
We (Denmark) have excellent individual players, but as a team, we suck ass.Daniel Agger will lead you to glory.

Mr. Psychotic gets one right! Agger was awesome in their game today.

Good call!

Psychotic
06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
That was nowhere near as boring or turgid as I have come to expect from Spain games. It was actually quite tasty. Iniesta and Pirlo shined in that game, and the continued awfulness of Torres makes me smile. :)

charliepanayi
06-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Di Natale >>>>>> Balotelli.

Chris
06-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Congrats to my country (Denmark) for winning the 14th European Championship, 2012. I never had doubt.

Psychotic
06-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Di Natale >>>>>> Balotelli.>>>>>>> Van Persie. ;)

Also, speaking of games that are surprisingly not turgid...!

charliepanayi
06-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Not sure a Liverpool fan should be slating any strikers really!

Psychotic
06-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Not sure a Cypriot should be posting in the Euro 2012 thread either but here we are. ;)

Old Manus
06-10-2012, 09:53 PM
So it appears that 'team spirit' and 'hard working players' do not a quality team make...I hear the Pope's catholic too.

Bubba
06-10-2012, 11:19 PM
I hear the Pope's catholic too.

You smurfing WHAT???

Rocket Edge
06-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Ah I'm sickened lads. Locked out of my mind writing this but it has to be said; the luck was not on our side tonight. Went absolutely spastic in the local when wwe got the equaliser! 50 of us strong going mental like! Credit to the Croat's though, they did more with the ball. Still raging about the second half penalty decision though, C'MPN REF... spell checkeed this yet i'm sure it's pretty okay, kebabs for the lads!

charliepanayi
06-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Hart, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole, Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young, Welbeck

No Downing? For shame, Hodgson!

Psychotic
06-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Well that wasn't as awful as it could've been. Would like a bit more adventure against Sweden and Ukraine, and should we make it through the group we can revert back to how we played tonight.

Bit of a Howard Webb referee there.

If only Big Andy had played. We would've mullered them 50-0.

krissy
06-11-2012, 06:57 PM
france was def a stronger team tho SORRY LADS

DK
06-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Where the fuck was big Andy :colbert: would definitely have won. City players scoring both goals, lawl. Referee was utterly dire as well. What was Jimmy Milner doing though, such a total Fernando.

Old Manus
06-11-2012, 07:56 PM
I timed it. After the game kicked off, it took exactly fifteen seconds before Glen Johnson hoofed it upfield to absolutely nowhere.

Other than that, a surprisingly decent performance from England. I don't think France were that great mind, feeling glad I didn't lump on when they were 14/1 to win the tournament.

Bubba
06-11-2012, 08:08 PM
I thought we performed well. We definitely carry a threat going forward. We just need to link up the midfield with the front two better.

France edged in terms of quality and attacking intent but you could tell both sides were happy with a draw.

I think Oxlaide-Chamberlain has earned himself a start against Sweden. He'll definitely cause them problems.

krissy
06-11-2012, 09:13 PM
geez shevchenko
you're gonna get so much head tonight

Psychotic
06-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I think Oxlaide-Chamberlain has earned himself a start against Sweden. He'll definitely cause them problems.Dunno. Don't think Oxlade-Chamberlain did too badly but he did often drift inside, giving the French some room to work with down our left, with their right back coming forward. But then again I think he has earned a place by virtue of not being Stewart Downing, really. I'd be happier seeing Rob Green line up on our left wing.

Also Steven Gerrard did surprisingly well. Probably England's best player. I really thought he'd wander off from his deeper role, or get fatigued and die like Parker did, but he stuck to his task well.

Finally... John Terry... not tit? :confused:

Iceglow
06-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Parker got severely winded I reckon when he blocked that ball. Playing the game and then getting the air physically knocked outta you like that is going to take it's toll. Still not a terrible game though it seemed like the French were all over us for most of it. Something like 6x the number of shots we had on target. (and same again off target)

Would definitely have probably brought Wellbeck off earlier to get Defoe on. With how our crosses seemed to be going when we managed to eventually get down to the French goal Defoe would've been in his element as one of the best finishers in the league.

Need more attack in the next couple of games though to go through the group stage.

The Captain
06-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Overall, I think England will be happy with the draw and France not so much. When you have over 60% of the possession, I'd expect you to really put more pressure on. I have to hand it to the English defense and Gerrard/Parker, they really kept France from getting any great looks at goal save for the Nasri shot. I do wonder where the English offense will come from aside from set-pieces, though Gerrard did look very lively which is a good sign.

I think you give Ox and Welback another game, though I agree you bring Defoe on a bit sooner if you are tied. If they have the lead, I actually might consider bringing in Carroll as he has proven he can hold up the ball up-top, which if England are going to play a counter-attack style, they will need that.

I think they could improve in their next to matches as I was not impressed with either Sweden or Ukraine's defensive marking. I actually think England catch a break by playing Ukraine last, as getting Rooney back could negate the home-field vibe that otherwise could pose problems. Of the two home teams, I still think Poland advances while the Ukraine do not.

Through one round, the most impressive team is...... Russia?!!

Most unimpressive is..... The Netherlands? They really have their work cut out for them. Can they get a point from Germany? That match became even more of a must watch on Wednesday.

I was also very impressed by Croatia. I think they could be a darkhorse team.

I think Germany and Spain will get better though I still think Spain need to play a striker (Not Torres though) instead of 6 midfielders.

Take care all.

charliepanayi
06-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Netherlands could still beat Germany, they're that sort of team. They were not unimpressive as such against Denmark, just very wasteful.

Pete for President
06-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Most unimpressive is..... The Netherlands? They really have their work cut out for them. Can they get a point from Germany? That match became even more of a must watch on Wednesday.

Sure is, it's all or nothing for us. It'll either be super epic or a complete drama.

Old Manus
06-12-2012, 04:39 PM
It appears I woke up this morning and am worse at football than I was yesterday. If that is possible.

Psychotic
06-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Who wants to be Stewart Downing?

DK
06-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Well I had to dig pretty deep into the football threads of old but:

I'd give anything if I could be Stewart Downing for a day. :(

I believe that answers your question

Psychotic
06-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm happy to make a young lad's dream come true. I feel like Jim'll Fix It!

Crop
06-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Enjoyed the game, and actually thought Terry and Gerrard were among Englands best players. I would have taken a draw before the game, but since we conceded it feels more like a loss.
Also I thought The Ox played well, would really like to see him start for the next game too.

Iceglow
06-12-2012, 11:07 PM
I somehow woke up this morning and wondered why I had all this bad karma, I burnt food I know how to cook whilst sleeping, I cut myself on a knife... I scraped myself with a plate glass shelf. I essentially fucked myself up a bit today. Then I came home and all was explained by the fact that I am somehow now John Terry and therefore a racist twat half the time.

Rocket Edge
06-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Immensely proud to bear the name of the my countries captain. I fear for Spain come Thursday, really do. They will never have felt a Irish backlash like it... I've never been so sure about something in my life.

Jiro
06-13-2012, 07:11 AM

As far as I know it doesn't have to be intentional to call the foul.

The rule states it must be intentional handling of the ball to gain advantage/disadvantage the opposition. One of the biggest discrepancies in football is this rule and not a damn soul who isn't trained as a referee seems to understand. Causes me quite a headache out on the pitch.

Bubba
06-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Immensely proud to bear the name of my country's tea boy.

Cuchulainn
06-13-2012, 02:18 PM
http://s3.itrash.ru//idb/f38ffd8c21710e48808305e296a954e3/o1339359453861.gif

I will find this woman...I will defle this woman

Old Manus
06-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Cuchulainn => Damien Duff

EDIT: No, actually Thierry Henry

Madame Adequate
06-13-2012, 04:01 PM
can i have a footy name please :ohdear:

krissy
06-13-2012, 07:26 PM
ronaldmilfo

The Captain
06-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Boy, for about 60 minutes there I thought the Dutch might actually kill each other on the pitch, they were screaming at one another. They rebounded somewhat but the Germans just keep getting better and better.

The fact that Klose, Gotze, Kroos, Reus and the like can't crack the starting lineup is just scary.

Somewhat impressed by Portugal's win though I don't like the look of their defense but am I very intrigued by Sunday's Netherlands-Portugal match.
Over/Under: 2 Red cards?

Was very impressed by Poland coming back to draw Russia and I stand by my prediction that they will make it to the knock out stage. I see Russia beating Greece and Poland beating the Czechs 2-1 or so.

Take care all.

Psychotic
06-14-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't know any Estonian players Huxley, sorry. Well, unless Mart Poom is A) Estonian (I forgot) and B) still knocking about.

Also ahhh, the Dutch are being the Dutch and the Germans are being the Germans. That brings me comfort, as this means England will surely have to be England and go out in the quarters on penalties, which is better than I had predicted.

charliepanayi
06-14-2012, 07:31 PM
And the Italians think they're the Germans at the moment in terms of holding out for a win, but aren't nearly as good at defending leads.

Bubba
06-14-2012, 07:40 PM
I've got a feeling about the Irish tonight. I really think they are going to put in the performance of the tournament! Sod it, I'm going out on a limb for this one...

Spain 3-0 Ireland.

Psychotic
06-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Fernando Torres, of all people.

Madame Adequate
06-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Damn that name is Eesti as smurf.

krissy
06-14-2012, 09:39 PM
cheers to the irish fans for that song
full of pride

charliepanayi
06-14-2012, 09:49 PM
They'll probably go and knock Italy out now or something.

The Captain
06-14-2012, 10:25 PM
As someone commented during the match, if the Irish players had the intensity and pride that their fans did, they'd be much further along.

Spain are rounding in to form which is very scary. If Torres can actually start firing again, watch out. It frankly is hypnotic watching them play as they just pass-pass-pass-pass-pass and bang, a shot on goal. It looks so simple but you need players willing to look up when they get the ball to do it.

Case in point, contrast what someone like Iniesta does when he gets the ball versus someone like Robben of the Netherlands. One gets the ball, looks up, passes and moves to receive, then looks to pass on again. The other, gets the ball, puts his head down, cuts to get the ball on his left foot and shoots, lately well off target. Never bothers to see if he can play someone else in. Reminds me of how the New York Knicks play basketball, one-on-one, isolation, give the ball to one player and everyone else watch. Not the way to win.

As for tomorrow, I have a sneaky feeling about the Ukraine. I feel like we may see a 2-2 draw against France. As for England, I think they see out a 1-0 win on a goal from, what else, a set piece. Gerrard crossing to Welbeck or maybe Ashley Young or even Terry.

Through two rounds, Spain and Germany appear headed for a rematch.

Take care all.

Cuchulainn
06-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Best Fans In International Football. I teared up when this happened. So smurfing proud to be Irish. COYBIG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfJuv3HTAb4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCosY56lRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY9qXVRjre0

Low lie the Fields of Athenry

Where once we watched the small free birds fly.

Our love was on the wing we had dreams and songs to sing

It's so lonely 'round the Fields of Athenry.

Bunny
06-15-2012, 07:21 AM
I don't know the first thing about football, but that video is fucking beautiful.

Rocket Edge
06-15-2012, 10:13 AM
I got emotional myself! It makes me very proud of my country

Old Manus
06-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Defiant to the end, so brave etc, but Ireland got totally styled on for 90 minutes last night. One of the most one sided international games I've seen (and I've been watching Wales for twenty years). It was men versus boys and was just painful to watch at times.

Rocket Edge
06-15-2012, 10:37 AM
We were chasing shadows all night. Just outclassed in every area of the pitch. When we managed to get the ball about 3 Spaniards were on top of us closing us down. We didn't have the ability to hold onto the ball. One of the Irish pundits commented last night 'if Pique was on the Irish squad he would be the most skilful player on the pitch, that's how good these guys are', which is probably right.

Cuchulainn
06-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Defiant to the end, so brave etc, but Ireland got totally styled on for 90 minutes last night. One of the most one sided international games I've seen (and I've been watching Wales for twenty years). It was men versus boys and was just painful to watch at times.

It was one sided but you aint been watching football long if you think this was the most one sided.

Psychotic
06-15-2012, 05:08 PM
I will remember this the next time liverpool get wasted and i say "yes but we have good fans" and you laugh at me. I will even post them singing the fields of anfield road! :colbert:

In all seriousness, yeah, I have immense respect. Not remotely Irish and that video sends a shiver down my spine. The fans didn't deserve that.

ScottyRedXIII
06-15-2012, 07:55 PM
England will lose this game..... just thought I should say.

Bubba
06-15-2012, 08:25 PM
What a header!

I believed in Andy all along...

DK
06-15-2012, 08:26 PM
BIG

FUCKING

ANDY

I AM MASTURBATING FURIOUSLY

BIG MAN FOREVER

Bubba
06-15-2012, 09:43 PM
I like The White Stripes but Seven Nation Army is officially the most irritating song of all time.

OF ALL TIME!!!!

EDIT: I'm sick of hearing commentators chat about Oxlaide-Chamberlain's age... and then say "Well it's like the old saying 'if you're good enough, you're old enough'"

Try using that in the porn industry.

DK
06-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Seven Nation Army is officially the most irritating song of all time.

clearly you have never had to work somewhere where "move like jagger" gets played at least 3 times a day. I would quite happily murder everyone involved in that song existing slowly and painfully. :colbert:

also, Big Andy > *

Rocket Edge
06-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Fantastic goal from big Andy. Walcott saved the match for you in the end with his cameo. Also, Danny Welbeck, what a boss.

Psychotic
06-15-2012, 10:05 PM
BIG ANDY FUTURE LIVERPOOL AND ENGLAND CAPTAIN

FUTURE BALLON D'OR WINNER

FUTURE FUCKING PRIME MINISTER

OLD MANUS

OLD FUCKING MANUS

EAT THAT YOU WELSH BABOON

ANDY CARROLL > ANYONE YOUR PITIFUL NATION HAS EVER PRODUCED apart from ian rush

ANDY CARROLL

PENETRATING YOUR MOTHER

WITH HIS PONYTAIL

WAY-AY BIG ANDY MON

krissy
06-15-2012, 10:06 PM
that was a really good game

and that last heel goal so cute

Shoden
06-15-2012, 10:26 PM
BIG ANDY FUTURE LIVERPOOL AND ENGLAND CAPTAIN

FUTURE BALLON D'OR WINNER

FUTURE FUCKING PRIME MINISTER

OLD MANUS

OLD FUCKING MANUS

EAT THAT YOU WELSH BABOON

ANDY CARROLL > ANYONE YOUR PITIFUL NATION HAS EVER PRODUCED apart from ian rush

ANDY CARROLL

PENETRATING YOUR MOTHER

WITH HIS PONYTAIL

WAY-AY BIG ANDY MON

The entire pub was aroar when Big Andy scored. Me included. Win!

Old Manus
06-15-2012, 10:28 PM
:colbert:

Psychotic
06-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Your namesake wasn't bad either. :greenie:

DK
06-16-2012, 03:06 AM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2010/10/18/1287391118583/Andy-Carroll--005.jpg

Carl the Llama
06-16-2012, 03:14 AM
England will lose this game..... just thought I should say.

*cough*

The Captain
06-16-2012, 04:22 AM
Match of the tournament bar none.

The momentum shifts in the last 30 minutes were dizzying.

Have to hand it to Roy, he made the right calls on Carroll and Welback and subbing in Walcott. It was the first time in a while that England actually looked dangerous going forward from open play.

Steven Gerrard looks a man re-born in midfield, his passing has been precise and he is running like its 2006. Parker and him are looking like a great duo in the middle.

The only question frankly is... the defense. Terry is clearly slow, Lescott has left some men open and Ashley Cole has looked a bit below his standards. Glen Johnson was actually the best of the 4 tonight which isn't always a good sign. If England actually want to shake up this tournament, they need to solidify their defense.

Two interesting questions for you fans:

1. What's your formation for game three? Clearly, Rooney is in, but do you pair him with Welbeck or Carroll? Does Walcott start? I think you start 4-4-2 with Rooney and Welbeck and bring Carroll on as a second half impact sub. I think you drop Young for Walcott. OR, do you get creative and run a 4-3-3 with Rooney Carroll and Walcott upfront then Parker Gerrard and Milner in the midfield and use Welbeck as the impact sub? Impressive that England actually have these decisions.

2. How do you play the final game? If England can win their last game there is a good chance they can go top of the group and in so doing, avoid Spain in the QF. However, if Spain DOESN'T finish top of their group but comes in second, do you instead play a defensive game and go for the draw and hope maybe France wins the group to draw the Spanish? The fact that Spain will play the day before makes this all the more interesting.

I say you play to win and let the chips fall where they may. Spain look a team in form but I could see them maybe stumbling against Croatia, however unlikely. Still, I think you need to play your best and not leave things out of your hands in to the whims of the football Gods so to speak.

France for its part looked a much better side and I think they could give either Spain or Croatia a torrid match. Was impressed by Benzima's passing and thought they did well to squeeze the life out of Ukraine in the end.

As we stand here now, with one round to go, I fancy Russia and Poland to go through in Group A, Germany and I can't believe it, but Portugal, in Group B, Spain and Croatia in Group C and England and France in Group D which would set up some really tasty quarterfinals!

Great tournament so far!

Take care all.

Cuchulainn
06-16-2012, 08:28 AM
i thought gerrard and parker were terrible in midfield today. England midfield got bossed. In the 1st game Gerrard was great. Terry looked well past it & was definately struggling. Apart from that it was a great comeback. Carroll was great tbf his header was a bullet, as was Welbeck. His finish was decent. Walcott came on and basicallyt changed the momentum of the game.

Question, do you split up this strikeforce now to make room for rooney? or do you put him in the hole & sacrifice a midfielder> OR not pick him at all?

Iceglow
06-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Big Andy's opener is gloriously good. Could watch that full on superman style pose in the air over and over. What a leap! Still goal of the game has to be Wellbeck getting that back heel in, risky play considering 2 defenders and the goalkeeper pretty much on top of him but Isaaksson didn't know what the hell to do with it was quite glorious. Then again he didn't know what to do with any of the goals England scored. 2 Shitty concessions for us, we do need to improve the back 4, the question of how is now what matters, replacing Terry may not do much, he's getting slow but he's still one of the better English born defenders. Would liked to have seen Gerrard score that volley shot at the end, would've made us look more comfortable but the shot was essentially looking to kill the goal keeper with a ball sized hole in his face... an admirable choice unfortunately their Isaaksson survived it and deflected it.

Still could and am watching the goals over and over, 3 very classy goals there from Big Andy, Walcott and Wellbeck, very classy.

Also of note, the UEFA have launched a copyright claim on the irish fans videos. They've been taken down :(

Psychotic
06-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Also of note, the UEFA have launched a copyright claim on the irish fans videos. They've been taken down :(Platini :argh: How ridiculous.

Also I liked how it was three young players that scored for England. Perhaps a new mindset for the young guns compared to the usual one of resignment and failure is what drove a comeback rather than the same old same old.

ScottyRedXIII
06-16-2012, 11:29 AM
The back heel was intended to be a pass..... pure luck it went Into the back of the net!

Iceglow
06-16-2012, 11:39 AM
The back heel was intended to be a pass..... pure luck it went Into the back of the net!

I'd like to know who you think he was planning on passing it to? Please use pictures to explain.

Cuchulainn
06-16-2012, 11:39 AM
To Who? He was the only :bou::bou::bou::bou: there. It really is true that not matter how good something is there will always be some :bou::bou::bou::bou: pissing on your parade.

Iceglow
06-16-2012, 11:52 AM
http://i.minus.com/iIMDmEuq7RgSw.gif

I don't think I need to say anything more on this...

ScottyRedXIII
06-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Hoping some one was behind him? I mean he wasn't looking so could have hoped some one was. That was too damn lucky to have been intended...

Iceglow
06-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe being a fan of a generally shit team like West Ham has dulled your senses m'boy. I mean sure you'd need to be lucky to score something like that. Hell West Ham would need to be Lucky to score in general. But even though I'm a Spurs (Go Parker! Go!) fan and we've had our maulings at the hands or feet rather of Man United I'm man enough to admit class, skill and style when I see it. That goal from Wellbeck was all 3, I also think it was quite nicely played if he'd gone straight for bottom right corner the keeper was working for that already, instead spinning 180 using the back heel to guide it to the bottom left means he had a real chance to score, the keeper tried to get back across but couldn't.

Cuchulainn
06-16-2012, 12:09 PM
How was it lucky? How does it look unintended? I don't thikb you know a thing about football kid

DK
06-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Dude he did it training like a week ago. There are videos of the training session online. He definitely meant it. And still wasn't as good as big Andy.

Psychotic
06-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Now now, let's be fair, nobody is as good as Big Andy, Saviour of the Human Race.

Also in that gif, Glen Johnson looks so upset that England scored.

ScottyRedXIII
06-16-2012, 12:20 PM
(Go Parker! Go!)

Ouch..... had to hit me were it still hurt the most.... :(

Iceglow
06-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Now now, let's be fair, nobody is as good as Big Andy, Saviour of the Human Race.

Also in that gif, Glen Johnson looks so upset that England scored.

He does, I also think it might be Big Andy's leg entering frame right at the end there, him or Gerrard? Not sure either way.

ScottyRedXIII
06-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Predictions For today's games? I'm going for a Poland win 3-1 and 2-0 Russian Win!

Old Manus
06-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Okay, I'll be a man and admit that Glen Johnson and Andy Carroll had good games last night. It's still the first time I've seen Johnson play well for England though.

It was a game between two teams who play very similar football (I had a 60 quid payout on 2-2), and while the second half was exciting, it was only because the teams were continually making mistakes and turning over possession. England want to play nice pass and move football, but they don't have the ball control. I still think they do better playing the way they did than playing hoofball though.

Hart has to be one of the better keepers in the tournament, he absolutely bossed his area in that game. Just never looks like making a mistake. Lescott did well enough to cover up Terry's laboured performance, I think he's past it but there aren't any replacement centre backs (Phil Jones is shit). Gerrard is rolling back the years with his performances so far, I think the captaincy as upped his game. Parker played well but he just looks like he is going to get injured at any moment.

Milner and Young (especially Milner) had horrorshows. The difference being I think Young will bounce back in the next game, Milner won't. The simple decision here is to just play Walcott/Chamberlain in his place, but I don't trust Glen Johnson to stay in position and guard the right side of the pitch without wandering forward, which is what Milner was there to cover for.

England just have to hope they face Croatia in the next round (should they get there), Spain will turn them inside out.

Rocket Edge
06-16-2012, 02:59 PM
I predict Russia & Poland to go through as well. Greece has little going forward & Poland should scrape through with the home advantage.

Psychotic
06-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Well don't all you Russia and Poland predictors feel like tits? :greenie:

That's the fun of having a group full of such average teams I guess!

charliepanayi
06-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Germany v Greece (I'll assume Germany will top their group) is going to be er...interesting!

Cuchulainn
06-16-2012, 09:51 PM
What the smurf just happened?

Ireland woulda qualified if they was in that group :cuch:

charliepanayi
06-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Imagine how whoever goes out tomorrow will feel looking at group A!

The Captain
06-16-2012, 11:09 PM
Like I said, Greece and the Czech Republic will advance....er, what?!!

Now, wouldn't it just be crazy if somehow the Netherlands sneak by tomorrow! They need to beat Portugal by at least two goals and have Germany win (Neither are given as I think Denmark will really fight hard). Still I think Germany are sitting mighty pretty right now.

Take care all.

Pete for President
06-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Here we go, last chance for us Dutchies! My hopes aren't too high, but we'll see. Also, good luck Germany, we need you!

EDIT: Stuff is tense. It's not looking good.

charliepanayi
06-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Right now unless the Dutch get their act together fast they're heading out, Portugal have been all over them since they equalised. This Group of Death day of reckoning is heating up nicely.

Pete for President
06-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Right now unless the Dutch get their act together fast they're heading out, Portugal have been all over them since they equalised. This Group of Death day of reckoning is heating up nicely.

Indeed. So far the Dutch show the same pattern as they have in the other two matches - after the first 20 minutes sloppy-ness kicks in and they don't stand a chance anymore.

charliepanayi
06-17-2012, 09:18 PM
This group is crazy - Germany are still one goal way from going out!

EDIT:

Disappointed Bender didn't say 'Bite my shiny metal ass' after scoring for Germany. I think both Portugal and Germany will win their quarter-finals now.

Holland - really awful.

Pete for President
06-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, it's official. Us Dutch ended the tournament with absolutely 0 points. Not exactly what I expected beforehand, but with they way they played (aside from the first 20 minutes of every match) the Dutch team clearly didn't deserve to win either. Fair enough I'd say.

My bets are now on either Spain or Italy.

The Captain
06-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Poor Croatia, they defended beautifully only to be undone by a questionable on-side ruling. Have to say, I really thought they had a shot to pull the upset on one of their counters but they just couldn't finish.

Spain are such a question mark to me. When they play without a striker, they lack height and frankly, they lack a player willing to just shoot the ball when they get in the box. They seem to want to score the beautiful goal over just score. Should they run in to a team like a France or maybe even England who are more in form with chances, they need to be much better.

Italy are tough to read. The Irish were tired by the end and frustrated, so I'm not sure if we saw the best the Italians can offer. I fancy either France or England to really give them a good game.

If I'm England, I really go for the jugular tomorrow. Looks like Ukraine will be without Shevchenko, which really blunts their attack. Bringing in Rooney adds another dimension to their team and I think they need to make this a real statement win here. A Draw will not do. If at all costs they must try to win the group to avoid Spain.

Overall, it's been a real ebb and flow in this tournament. Russia looked so good early and get eliminated. Germany looks a bit slow but still churn out win after win. Portugal are dangerous if Ronaldo has got his head in to the tournament. Spain seem vulnerable still. I think France or England if they take their chances could make a real run of things.

And best of all, STILL no scoreless draws! Let's keep it that way!

Take care all.

Old Manus
06-19-2012, 09:07 AM
If Spain play like that against England, you'd think even their shaky back line could handle them. Dare I say it, even Andy Carroll might be a good starting choice.

Psychotic
06-19-2012, 05:42 PM
what should I rename Cuchulainn to?

My thought is Andy Townsend or possibly "I want to be scouse" but I'm open to ideas.

The Captain
06-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Petr Cechulainn

Take care all.

Psychotic
06-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Well that's cute, but I think I've made my mind up... :greenie:

krissy
06-19-2012, 09:25 PM
how was that not a goal? come on! was a cm of the ball on the line vertically?

charliepanayi
06-19-2012, 09:39 PM
For those whinging about the likes of Greece being in the quarter-finals, at least they have excuses for their limitations, not sure what France's (or indeed England's) are.

Freya
06-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah that totally looked like a goal for Ukraine. OH WELL!

Psychotic
06-19-2012, 09:43 PM
England in not being shit at international tournament shocker.

Not worldbeaters either, mind you, but my aim for this tournament was "Not shit" so job done boys. Fuck Italy and the inevitable shootout defeat, come home now, come home proud. Had serious doubts about even getting out of this group, much less winning it.

charliepanayi
06-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Italy winning a match on penalties? What madness is this? (OK granted they have a slightly better record at it than England)

Psychotic
06-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Do you really see either one of those teams being able to finish each other off in 120 minutes...?

charliepanayi
06-19-2012, 09:49 PM
The world's sloooooooooowwwwwwwessssssttttttttt football match awaits!

The Captain
06-19-2012, 10:02 PM
If you look at the full replay, the initial ball was off-sides, so perhaps it's a wash in the end. Still, I don't get why there isn't goal line technology.

Ukraine played well but just don't have the quality finishers.

England actually is reminding me a bit of Italy from World Cup 2006, get a goal and then defend for your life. I thought, once again, Gerrard and Parker were very good in midfield and Rooney, while rusty, looked lively and should improve.

I think Walcott has to start the next match, because he really opens up the game when he's on and that will present Italy all sorts of problems. Plus, it will speed up the game.

As for France.... boy, they looked so disjointed today. Sweden got some great goals and full credit to them for coming to play despite being eliminated already. I think Spain will be licking their chops to get at the French defense frankly.

Quarterfinal Predictions!

Portugal over Czech Republic
Spain over France
Germany over Greece
England over Italy

No penalties this round. Definitely penalties in semis, could definitely see Germany-England going that route especially if it gets that far.

Very entertaining tournament thus far!

Take care all.

Iceglow
06-19-2012, 10:26 PM
had a nap and woke up at half time... didn't miss much.

Bubba
06-19-2012, 10:42 PM
It's coming home!!!!

Bring on Italy. Then erm... Germany... then Spain...

Actually, yeah we're fucked.

Old Manus
06-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Fucking hell UEFA. You finally cave in to pressure and agree to a compromise in which you put goal line judges on the goal line, only to be proven that not even they can get the decisions right. Really soured the game for me. Ukraine deserved something from that match and as the host nation to be put out of a tournament like that is soul destroying. What was really annoying though was Clive Tyldesley's reaction: "Well, you win some, lose some in football". I guaran-fucking-tee that if it went the other way, the media would be up in arms, burning effegies of Michel Platini. I don't even care if it was offside anyway, that was an absolute farce of the highest order.

I mean, I'm glad England got through and all, but the cognitive dissonance in The Sun/Mail tomorrow is going to be huge. Nobody seems to give a shit now we've been on the lucky side of it, and just call it 'karma'. Bollocks.

As for actual game matters, England still can't keep the ball but it was a fairly workmanlike performance. When they managed to string more than a few passes together and drag the opposition around they looked threatening. Back line still pretty shaky, especially on the break, as both Terry and Lescott like to go up for corners/free kicks. Scott Parker wearing it on the face twice was glorious. Steven Gerrard really excelling under the captaincy. And dare I say it, Andy Carroll looks a better player for England than he does for Liverpool not that it would be difficult ho ho ho.

Crop
06-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Totally agree with you, Manus, about the reaction to what should have been a goal. While it being offside certainly softens it a little for me, it really irritated me the way they were like "oh well, we deserve it after the World Cup"...erm I'm sorry but were Ukraine even playing in that World Cup game? How is it okay for it to happen to Ukraine but NOT okay for it to happen to England? Ugh...ITV football blows all round anyway.

Otherwise a pretty solid performance from England (by England standards mind you). And I disagree about Theo playing from the start, I find he makes far more of an impact when he comes on as a sub. With 30 minutes to spare, bringing on someone with the speed of Walcott can do some real damage to tired out players. Chamberlain on the other hand I think is worth another look :greenie:

ScottyRedXIII
06-19-2012, 11:30 PM
England need to sharpen up if they want to beat Italy on Sunday. It annoys me how we look at games thinking how good it is we don't have to play Spain because we "cant beat them". That's utter bull, we can beat any team I'f we'd stop thinking so fecking negative. I think that's Why Gerrard looked a bit pee'd at the end of the full time interview, the attitude that we HAVE to fear other countries is silly.

Carl the Llama
06-20-2012, 12:51 PM
With regards to the near goal, I don't know why people are so angry, tbh the whistle should have been called for off side so it makes no difference, 2 bad decisions in a row if you ask me.

Also this:

http://funnypicturesplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/john-terry-saves-england-ukraine.jpg

Iceglow
06-20-2012, 07:24 PM
With regards to the near goal, I don't know why people are so angry, tbh the whistle should have been called for off side so it makes no difference, 2 bad decisions in a row if you ask me.

Also this:

http://funnypicturesplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/john-terry-saves-england-ukraine.jpg

pmsl.

Yeah to be fair he was offside. So suddenly Sepp Blatter and UEFA think we ought to allow goals based on the ball going over or on the line but we shouldn't disallow them for being offside in that case? It makes me tick that England has been banging on about the need for Goal Line Technology since the world cup of 2010 and only now when a European mainland country (and host country) at a international tournament gets a disallowed goal does Sepp Blatter actually say "It's become a necessity"

charliepanayi
06-20-2012, 08:28 PM
I just wish they'd have goalline technology so the whole tedious debate would stop surfacing.

Time for some more terrible predictions:

Portugal to beat Czech Republic
Germany to beat Greece
France to beat Spain (yes, I've gone mad)
Italy to beat England

Psychotic
06-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah but then if you have goalline technology, an unfair goal would've stood because it was offside. So you need offside technology. Then what about handballs? Regular fouls? WHERE DOES IT END, STEWART? WHERE DOES IT END?

krissy
06-21-2012, 02:55 PM
in the future footy tournaments will be played entirely on a ps3 with fifa 2012

Psychotic
06-21-2012, 03:03 PM
first of all, xbox 360 son.

second of all, the fucking refereeing on there is infinitely worse than it is IRL.

krissy
06-21-2012, 03:11 PM
aw frig that's true
this one time the game went on for ten seconds before the refs called offside
and initially i was like 'how cute! they're adding real life issues into the play!'
and then i realized
wait
you better be able to turn this off

Old Manus
06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Offside is the only foul that's ever called in FIFA. With other fouls, it's always 'advantage', followed by Andy Gray talking about how great it is that the referee is letting the game flow/how he gropes women in nightclubs.

Cuchulainn
06-21-2012, 03:48 PM
who the fuck changed my name to mark lawrenson? Psymon imma piss on your face ya wee ballbag.

Psychotic
06-21-2012, 03:50 PM
What? I thought you'd like being named after a true Irish hero :confused:

Cuchulainn
06-21-2012, 04:08 PM
He's not Irish, just one of those English people we borrowed so that we're slightly less tit.

charliepanayi
06-21-2012, 09:44 PM
I really hope France do improve when they play Spain, otherwise we might have to wait for England v Italy for a quarter-final that isn't really one-sided.

Psychotic
06-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Too little, too late from the French. And good old Xabi Alonso, still a top footballer.

Bubba
06-23-2012, 09:52 PM
France were very poor. As much as I'd like to see England succeed... I'd love to see a Spain v Germany final. Cue crap 0-0 game.

Rocket Edge
06-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Quite a gutless performance from France last night. The game was such a dull affair throughout and I felt they never gave them a real go. The only team who is capable of taking out Spain has to be Germany. Would like to see a different winner at the end though. Should be a great match tonight.

Cuchulainn
06-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Spain are one of the most boring teams on earth to watch.

Iceglow
06-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Italy's not finishing at all well. Though they've had some excellent chances...

We've not pressured Pierlo enough. That's for sure. Though it seems Andy Carrol was given instructions to do just that. Every time I've seen Pierlo on the ball I've noticed Carrol not far away which is good stuff.

That chance we missed in the 92nd mins.... fuck!

extra time!

krissy
06-24-2012, 09:46 PM
if that rooney bicycle kick worked out man

Bubba
06-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Don't worry, guys... I'M on the pitch!

England's great white hope...

Iceglow
06-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm not gonna lie... I'm shitting bricks.

krissy
06-24-2012, 10:27 PM
sorry lads
shame it came to penalties like this

Carl the Llama
06-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Italy were the better team imo, they deserved the win but all that shirt tugging in the Italian box really pissed me off.

charliepanayi
06-24-2012, 10:30 PM
I love Pirlo. Such a great player.

Psychotic
06-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Not worldbeaters either, mind you, but my aim for this tournament was "Not tit" so job done boys. smurf Italy and the inevitable shootout defeat, come home now, come home proud.well i told u so

Too many people called Ashley being allowed to take penalties. BIG ANDY and England's Number 8 Jordan Henderson should've taken them! Or Glen Johnson who is in fact rather quite good. England's best player in this game? I think so! ;)

tbh England were totally dead after half an hour. If only we had the likes of Wilshere, Lampard and Barry available just to do some rotation for the ancient Parker and Gerrard. Alas.

welp time to put some names back.

Iceglow
06-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Italy were the better team imo, they deserved the win but all that shirt tugging in the Italian box really pissed me off.

That was so many fouls it should've been an early penalty for Rooney to put in the net.

Also... agreed on the penalties being taken by others other than Cole and Young. Young's had a shitty tournament and should've been off sooner. Walcott would've been a good player for a penalty I reckon too.

I would actually give credit of the player of the match for England to John Terry, the number of blocks he made in that game was astounding.

At full time there was like 700+ passes by Italy compared to under 150 by England... that told us where we go wrong.

Bubba
06-24-2012, 10:50 PM
They deserved it, definitely. After they missed all those chances though I kind of fancied us on penalties. Ahh well... Germany would've battered us anyway.

Mr Psychotic? Please can I have my old name back now? I can't spend another day as Jordan fucking Henderson...

Old Manus
06-24-2012, 10:58 PM
What a poor game. Italy should have had it sewn up by half time, but by some minor miracle were pushed all the way to penalties. In the first half, England were OK to poor. The second half/extra time was a fucking embarrassment, at times worse than Spain vs Ireland. England just couldn't keep the ball, at all. From the last ten minutes or so onwards, they just gave up altogether. Hart would hoof the ball upfield, Carroll would give it a consolatory nod nowhere, then Italy would pick the ball up again and have another go. It was just...woeful.

Young had another 2/10 performance (with another despicable dive thrown in for good measure), Milner made it clear he was just making up the numbers as Hodgson didn't want to start Walcott, Rooney looked very, very average, and Glen Johnson, he lost the ball twice as many times as he did anything productive with it. In the second half he played a lot better by virtue of him not having the ball nearly as often.

I find myself not as concerned as I would normally be at that result, as Italy were so obviously the better team it would have been a footballing travesty had they lost. The real winners are the Germans, as evidenced by the incredibly jovial Jurgen Klinsmann. At half time he had the manner of a man who had just managed to sell his damp-infested house for double its value. "We get to play one of these two utter football shambles? I'd better get on and fly my family over for the final!".

charliepanayi
06-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Italy are hardly a shambles. And they have a good tournament record against Germany, so though Germany are obvious favourites, it's definitely not cut and dried.

England's next fixture is a friendly in August...against Italy.

The Captain
06-24-2012, 11:24 PM
In the end, you could just feel that result coming.

What a player Pirlo is, he really is a wonderful general in the middle of the field. Watching him and Ozil in the semi-finals will be an absolute treat.

English Verdict: Maximum effort, and got about as far as they could on what they currently have. If they somehow pulled this out, it would have been a very sweet ride but I too think Germany would win easily, especially since they are younger, quicker and much more well rested. Hodgson can hold his head high as he managed this team about as well as he could. I thought Gerrard had a wonderful tournament but ran out of gas here. Relying on him and an injured Parker against the Italian midfield was a fool's errand and it showed.

Andy Carroll and Glen Johnson can return to Liverpool knowing that they played well here (at least offensively) too. Ashely Young and Milner not so much while the Rooney mystery continues. Thought Terry had a good showing with Lescott, but they do need more pace in the backline. Walcott's stock rose as well and Hart looked good, save for the penalties which Italy handled masterfully. That Pirlo chip was simply superb.

As for the semi-finals, I think Spain-Portugal will be a feisty match and wouldn't be shocked to see a red card or two. I think Spain must play a striker from the start and Portugal must take the game to Spain. If they sit back, they will be picked apart but I think they could give Spain a hart time. Still, the Spanish players are too seasoned and will find a way through, 2-1.

Germany are well rested and have so many options on who to play. I think Gomez and Muller start but wouldn't be shocked to see some more lineup changes. Italy will rely on their spirit and their playmakers, specifically Pirlo but I think they will still be a step slow and the Germans will efficiently see them off 3-1.

Which sets up the really juicy Spain-Germany rematch and I have a feeling, Germany pulls it off.

Take care all.

Psychotic
06-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Germany have had 2 days extra rest, did not play 120 minutes and even benched the likes of Gomez, Muller and Podolski. They're gonna walk it.

charliepanayi
06-25-2012, 08:53 AM
*shrugs* Italy still have four days until the next game, and they're much better than people give them credit for.

Cuchulainn
06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
I have no idea why Henderson & Carroll was brought on. They quite literally did nothing. England were second best throughout. Young was shit, Gerrard was shit, Rooney was shit, Everyone outclassed. Was a joy to watch.

So. 2 teams from Ireland's group in Semi's....NONE from Englands. Interesting.

Psychotic
06-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Nothing? Andy Carroll was one of only two England players to do anything after the 60 minute mark. The other was Joe Hart. Hart hoofs ball to Andy, Andy knocks it down to Rooney or Young who lose it, Italy get the ball for the next 10 minutes.

On that note, all of you who were like "Murr murr, WHY SO MANY LIVERPOOL PLAYERS?" at the start can now lick my balls. Gerrard and Johnson (along with the centre backs) were England's best players in this tournament. Big Andy scored a cracking header, Jordan Henderson wasn't the disaster everyone predicted, and Stewart Downing behaved himself by not leaving the bench once. You guys should've trusted in the lads and then I wouldn't have had to give you all Liverpool names. :colbert:

Cuchulainn
06-25-2012, 08:57 PM
you're joking right? Running about like a headless chicken then falling over is not what I'd call a productive appearance. Carroll was terrible.

Psychotic
06-25-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't think you quite grasp the concept of football dear sir. Let me put it to you another way. I am pretty sure if Andy Carroll played Spain by himself he would not lose 4-0. And especially not if there were 30,000 geordies singing "The Fog on the Tyne".

Rocket Edge
06-26-2012, 12:22 AM
I actually thought Carroll did well when he came on. I think you have to look at how the game went when judging players individually. Italy were pressing England for the ball while England's strategy was to stand completely off them when they lost it and defend. Ashley Young didn't have a great game because of that. He lost the ball to often & didn't defend too well. Shames me to say it but John Terry was probably your best player, along with Gerrard.

If England have any prayer of progressing in tournaments they must change with the times. You could say the same about Ireland but we have a system that works according to our level of talent. Italy should have definitely bet England last night. I seen the stats - something like 69% possession and 36 shots to England's nine. I think the only way to do it is to start practising the pressing & passing philosophy at grass-roots level immediately. And hey, if it converts the English game into one of slick passing & probing, the Irish team are sure to benefit too!

The Captain
06-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Can someone please explain something to me:

What's up with everyone hating on how Spain play now? When they won the last Euro and even the World Cup, everyone seemed to love their brand of football. Now, suddenly, they are boring and suck the life out of the game? What changed? Is it because they've won too much? Is it merely Spain fatigue or did something else change?

Frankly and I will use an American Football phrase, "You play to win the game". Regardless of everything else, if you keep getting results and wins, doesn't that trump style? And the fact that Spain have players that have taken the possession game to a whole new level means they've essentially combined results with style.

Now, I am all for new champions and I do think Germany have played better then Spain but all this Spain is boring, Spain is killing football talk is really confusing.

The floor is yours.

Take care all.

Rocket Edge
06-26-2012, 02:09 AM
I was never Spain's biggest fan. They have terrific players, the best in the tournament, but I don't get excited looking at them. That's not to say I'm against the way they play however. It's very effective & unique as you all know. I just think it makes for an uncompetitive & (sometimes) boring game, because they are better than everyone else. It's generally like, they will pass around the box until a team makes a mistake all game, retaining possession and finally tiring the opposing team out. :/

I really hope Germany beat Spain if they do meet in the final, but somehow I can't see it happening. Germany aren't that very convincing at the back, & even with their immense attacking threat, getting by Spains crowded midfield will not be easy.

Psychotic
06-26-2012, 11:02 AM
I think it is the lack of David Villa that has finally tipped the scale.

Cuchulainn
06-26-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't think you quite grasp the concept of football dear sir. Let me put it to you another way. I am pretty sure if Andy Carroll played Spain by himself he would not lose 4-0. And especially not if there were 30,000 geordies singing "The Fog on the Tyne".

the shite is drippin outta ye

Psychotic
06-26-2012, 12:45 PM
And the tears are dripping out of ye, tears that Andy Carroll was born in a stable in Bethlehem (Tyneside) and not in Belfast. I'm sorry, I wish we could all share in His love, but you'll have to take that up with FIFA. Maybe if Kagawa sells enough shirts in Japan United can stump up a £60m bid for his right buttock.

Cuchulainn
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
This would all make sense if Andy Carroll wasn't a big talentless donkey.

Psychotic
06-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Fuck your Wayne Rooney, I've a horse up front.

Fuck your Danny Welbeck, I have a horse up front.

And fuck your Ashley Young, I've a horse up front.

In fact, for your benefit, I have created a simulation on FIFA 12 of Andy Carroll scoring his 45th goal of the season as Liverpool smash Man United 6-0.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/photobucketamazingness/1287507497_horse-plazying-with-big-ball.gif

This is the real reason why your fields of athenry are lonely. BECAUSE ANDY HAS EATEN YOU ALL. WAY-AY BIG ANDY MON.

Old Manus
06-26-2012, 09:55 PM
That gif is too flattering. That horse manages to stay on the ball for at least a moment.

Cuchulainn
06-26-2012, 11:16 PM
smurf your Wayne Rooney, I've a horse up front.

smurf your Danny Welbeck, I have a horse up front.

And smurf your Ashley Young, I've a horse up front.

If this doeasnt become a Kop Anthem next season there is somply no justice in the world.

charliepanayi
06-27-2012, 09:45 PM
This game has got worse (and more unpleasant) the longer it's gone on. Neither team having effective strikers (or indeed any strikers) hasn't helped. Germany v Greece apart, the goals have dried up so far in the knockout stage, very disappointing.

EDIT: Ronaldo losing? Maybe the evening wasn't so bad after all.

Psychotic
06-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Only bothered to watch the shootout. Two goalless draws in a row - and Euro 2012 was doing so well!

charliepanayi
06-27-2012, 10:46 PM
It's been going downhill since all the idiot papers starting running 'best tournament ever?' articles at the end of the second round of group matches. Italy v Germany can often be relied upon to be a great game though...right? Right?! :(

Bubba
06-27-2012, 10:47 PM
It definitely peaked too soon...

Rocket Edge
06-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Gutted for Portugal. What on EARTH was Bruno Alves doing taking a penalty? He didn't make one successful pass throughout the game (but a terrific defensive performance) and you expect this guy to slot away a penalty under pressure? It was a certainty he was going to miss. The finger of blame has to go to Ronaldo. He should have taken one of those penalties instead of leaving it to him & waiting until the end.

Please, I want anyone but Spain to win.

Bubba
06-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Please, I want anyone but Spain to win.

Check the poll result.

We all know who's going to win!

The Captain
06-28-2012, 12:30 AM
So, I've been getting conflicting info here: Does the coach/manager pick the shootout lineup or do the players decide? Likewise, for the order?

I was all kinds of confused when Nani suddenly ran up and took the third spot. And, was it really Ronaldo's call to wait until the 5th shot? Or was it his manager's?

Fully expect Germany - Italy to have goals in it.

Germany - Spain would be a great final, especially with Spain looking mortal, which means Germany or sure, why not, Italy, would be more willing to have a go at it and not just sit back on the counter.

Take care all.

charliepanayi
06-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Basically people are disagreeing whether it was Ronaldo who wanted to go last, or the manager who wanted that. Of course we'll probably never know, and personal opinions with a player like Ronaldo always come into play - people who don't much like Ronaldo are likely to think the former was true and vice versa.

Psychotic
06-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Ronaldo doesn't exactly have a fantastic track record in shoot outs anyway.

Old Manus
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
IIRC he usually takes one of the last few penalties.

Pete for President
06-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Surprising half time score. Pirlo is amazing and both Balotelli's goals had nice finishes.

charliepanayi
06-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Anyone still want to say this Italy side isn't all that? *they'll probably play terrible in the final now*

Psychotic
06-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Well the poll in this thread sure got told.

Also Donal overtook me in fantasy football :argh:

charliepanayi
06-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Who else voted for Italy?

The Captain
06-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Gotta say, was really impressed by Italy today.

Germany looked flat and boy, their defense definitely looked shaky at times. The better team won.

Michael Ballack on ESPN said that he thought Low overmanaged the squad by changing the lineups a bunch and that may have played a part as well. It is quite telling that Klose still seems the most confident striker they have.

Italy - Spain is a fascinating match in and of itself now. I think Italy will be supremely confident that they can attack Spain and clog the midfield up, much as they did to England and at times to Germany. Pirlo deserves player of the tournament unless someone plays truly outstanding in the final and even then, I still think he's earned it.

In the end, my heart wants Italy but my head is saying Spain find a way.

Take care all.

Old Manus
06-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Fair play, Italy bossed that game. They were poor against England but proved they have a bit about them tonight. I'm glad because my bet on a Spain v Italy final came through and confirmed that I've made at least a £35 profit on this tournament. Let's have a look at those Wimbledon markets...

Cuchulainn
06-29-2012, 01:28 AM
I had Germany in my sweep and they smurfing bottled it the :bou::bou::bou::bou:s. I'm out 50. Every German can go smurf themselves.

krissy
06-29-2012, 04:18 PM
yes i did not expect that
but italy was buono

Psychotic
07-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Spain 0 votes.

Man we sure know what we're talking about. Also I forgot to do my FF team for the final. :(

charliepanayi
07-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Bah. The way Spain play isn't boring. What is boring is seeing no bloody team able to score against them and/or give them any sort of a challenge.

krissy
07-01-2012, 09:59 PM
good times everyone

see you in 4 years

interesting to have watched a game where two (three?) new records appeared

Rocket Edge
07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Spain 0 votes.

Man we sure know what we're talking about. Also I forgot to do my FF team for the final. :(
Wouldn't have mattered, Alba as captain (28 points) :smug: When will someone rise to the plate & snatch a title off the Sugarkids?!

Never in doubt really. Spain are just too good.

Old Manus
07-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Fernando Torres wins the Golden Boot. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE UNIVERSE?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6i1sdID9y1qb96hx.gif

Spain apparently now the greatest international team of all time. So then, Cuchulainn, how do you rate them compared to Brazil 1970 when you were first picking up your pension?

charliepanayi
07-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Del Bosque is a great manager, Real Madrid were nuts to get rid of him in the early 2000s.

I'm looking forward to the possibility of Spain v Tahiti at the Confederations Cup next summer.

Cuchulainn
07-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Spain apparently now the greatest international team of all time. So then, Cuchulainn, how do you rate them compared to Brazil 1970 when you were first picking up your pension?

1970 was when i first started pickin up yer ma son, not my pension. Show some respect. Woman has a mouth like a steam cleaner.