PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Dimensions coming to iOS and Android this Summer!

Bastian
05-31-2012, 04:04 AM

Remember that episodic cell phone game Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness released only in Japan back in 2010? It looked like an NA port would never happen... until now.

Today Square-Enix announced that at E3 they will be revealing a game entitled Final Fantasy Dimensions to release this Summer for iOS and Android, they also offered up a logo for it, featuring the same character art from Final Fantasy Legends. Clearly this new title is simply the NA version, and I couldn't be more excited!

They describe the game this way:

“Drawing upon the roots of the series with such features as beautiful 2D pixel art, job-driven character growth, additional scenarios in which to inherit the jobs of your adventuring companions, and a classic story of light, darkness, and crystals, Final Fantasy Dimensions delivers the best of Final Fantasy, retro and fresh alike, directly to your smartphone.”

With 16-bit based pixel art and music, and a story hearkening back to that golden era, the game sounds to be everything some of us have wished for. The story is centered around elemental Crystals once again and Warriors of Light and Warriors of Darkness quest to save the world.

Here are some images from the Japanese cell phone version. It is unknown whether the exact same graphics will be used for the iOS version, of if that version will feature super detailed 2D sprites akin to those found in Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection.

So what do you think? Super stoked to play it? I know I am!

Source: Siliconera (http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/30/final-fantasy-dimensions-is-an-ios-game-coming-this-summer/)

Del Murder
05-31-2012, 04:12 AM
Awesome. Totally going to play FF on my phone.

ShinGundam
05-31-2012, 04:42 AM
I am happy that it is no more exclusive to some random Japanese mobile thing.

Wolf Kanno
06-01-2012, 06:45 AM
I was kind of hoping it would be ported to something I have but I am happy its getting released in the West finally.

Fynn
06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Yay! :kakapo:

Bastian
06-06-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm freaking excited. This is probably the most exciting news from E3 (well, pre-E3) for me yet! :D I can't wait to play a brand new old school FF!:D

Wolf Kanno
06-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I can understand that ^ It's been one of the few titles SE's been working on that I was really interested in. I guess I need to finally upgrade my phone though...

Fynn
06-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I just hope I won't need anything better than my good old iPhone 3G for this one, otherwise, it'll have to wait :(

Fynn
06-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Double post, I know, but whatever. We got English iPad gameplay footage!

Final Fantasy Dimensions Gameplay - Cave Battle - E3 2012 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXWmw6mdVU4&feature=relmfu)

Looks like they're sticking to the retro sprites, Wolf ;)

Del Murder
06-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Cool!

Yeargdribble
06-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I really haven't been able to get into any RPGs in a while. They just aren't convenient and I rarely have huge chunks of time to dedicate to them any more. I'll often try only to get interrupted by real life. By the time I get back, I don't know what I'm doing and have to start over. I can rarely get more than 10 or 15 hours into any RPG, much to my chagrin.

Handhelds were a bit of a savior because it meant I could carry them around and level a little here and there during bits of downtime, but those are inconvenient, single-purpose devices so I tend to to not like to carry them around in addition to other things I had on my like my phone or iPod touch. They were relegated to playing in bed at night.

However, I tend to always have my iPod/iPad/phone with me, so this will be perfect. On top of that, I really loved the pre-VII FF aesthetic so I'm really looking forward to something new and fresh, even if it is a little cookie-cutter.

Tranquil
06-09-2012, 08:26 AM
I hope these retro-style games really pick up on mobile.

Fynn
06-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Oh, I hope it get's released as one game, not as chapters we'll have to pay more money for. :(

Rebellious Eagle
06-13-2012, 02:41 AM
Want! I just hope it won't take up too much space, since my phone hardly has much left.

TheAbominatrix
06-13-2012, 02:49 AM
I was kind of hoping it would be ported to something I have but I am happy its getting released in the West finally.

Yeargdribble
06-13-2012, 09:37 PM
I wish SE would release more of their properties on iOS. It seems that's where a lot of the mobile market is going and I'd love to have even more of their stuff available that way. I've really been itching to play the early DQ games and just wish they were on iOS like some of the early FF titles.

If I were in a position to choose between a new piece of gaming hardware, I'd certainly choose an iPod Touch over a 3DS or Vita. I've actually yet to get either of those two now, though the 3DS finally has enough titles to tempt me (but I'm holding out for a second generation at this point).

Bastian
06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
If I were in a position to choose between a new piece of gaming hardware, I'd certainly choose an iPod Touch over a 3DS or Vita.

I like the convince factor of being able to play awesome games on the phone I always have with me anyway... but touch screen gaming is not for me. I tried the iOS version of Secret of Mana... and I just could not get the hang of there being no tactile response for the buttons. :/ But it looks like S-E made the "buttons" nice and big on this game, so that should work out better.

Yeargdribble
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
If I were in a position to choose between a new piece of gaming hardware, I'd certainly choose an iPod Touch over a 3DS or Vita.

I like the convince factor of being able to play awesome games on the phone I always have with me anyway... but touch screen gaming is not for me. I tried the iOS version of Secret of Mana... and I just could not get the hang of there being no tactile response for the buttons. :/ But it looks like S-E made the "buttons" nice and big on this game, so that should work out better.

I haven't tried SoM. I could see that being a problem, but I've been playing a crap load of FFIII on iPad even though I have the DS version. For menu base combat it's great. I can just tap anywhere on the screen and it will do whatever the default action is. Since I use cursor memory, if I want some to use a Fire Staff as an item to cast fire, I just tap wherever. I don't actually have to navigate the menu again and I don't have to tap specific spots (though I could if I wanted).