PDA

View Full Version : Civilization

Pike
05-31-2012, 05:37 AM
I know we had a specific thread for Civ IV a few months back but not a thread for the whole series, so let's change that!

Civ is great. It's really one of the best game series out there with its replayability, modability, strategy, great multiplayer, and so forth. Hux and I have poured hundreds of hours into multiplayer Civ IV and it never gets old. :love:

Laddy
05-31-2012, 06:00 AM
Civ is awesome, truly one of the best game series of all time. Pike, I demand to play you on Civ someday. Right now all I have is Civ V, but when I reclaim my copy of Civ IV I demand to engage you in incredibly slow turn-based goodness.

nik0tine
05-31-2012, 06:10 AM
Civilization II played an enormous part in determining my future character. It sparked a love of history that would otherwise have had little chance to flourish. I never played Civ III and while I owned Civ IV and spent countless hundreds of hours on it, I very rarely actually 'played' the game as I spent the majority of my time in the map editor trying to recreate historical scenarios on a giant earth map that my system couldn't hope to handle. I just bought Civ V during the steam sale and I enjoy it quite a bit so far.

My experience with Civilization has been almost exclusively limited to earth maps of some variety and I seldom play on anything but the longest difficulty so despite having spent so much time playing I still don't really know what the average game of Civ is like.

Laddy
05-31-2012, 07:21 AM
Question: How do you guys typically play?

I can generally play any style, but I like to de-emphasize military. Generally, I'll have a strong economy, culture, and science as I tend to play the wonder game. I try to keep generally friendly relations with most civs and remain neutral yet, due to my peacetime focus, I tend to have a risky strategy in which when war is declared I use my economic surpluses and scientific prowess to hurry-produce advanced units, bringing a steady flow of reinforcements to maintain my borders during and after the conflicts. Since I emphasize culture a lot, my borders tend to grow quickly and many other cities are absorbed into my civ due to culture flips, making military conquest unnecessary.

My main strategy works in that I generally have a versatile civilization with a large population, economic power, happiness, and general versatility, but it also makes me an ideal target for most other civs, making me often be bullied into alliances or trades (especially technology) to remain safe. I'm fine with it though.

In Civ IV, I typically play Ethiopia under Zara Yaqob, Egypt under Hatshepsut, America under Lincoln, or most often Mansa Musa of Mali.

escobert
05-31-2012, 11:14 PM
I've played II since I was a child. I've always loved the game. However, I have never played any of the others.

Jinx
06-01-2012, 04:20 AM
I've never played any Civ games, but hearing you nerds go on about it all the time makes me want to try it out.

Wolf Kanno
06-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Civilization II is easily my favorite PC game of all time and one of only two PC games I actually have installed on my PC as a must (the other is Mech Commander). This game and it's cousin Colonization were two big elements of my gaming life in middle school. :D

Pike
06-01-2012, 05:56 AM

It really depends on what I'm going for or what I feel like doing. Space race victory is probably my favorite, but I've won at least one fair victory for every victory condition because I like to spice it up. Sometimes I go early military (especially fun in multiplayer) and cultural victories can be pretty fun too. Now diplo victories, that's something difficult to pull off (in Civ IV at least!) Last time I did it, in a terribly ironic twist, I had to go to war quite a few times in order wrangle everyone over to my side and vote for me.

As for civs, it usually depends on what traits I feel like playing. Lately I'm really on a philosophical kick because those great people, oh man. Based on unique buildings/units alone I might have to go with England. Redcoats + Stock Exchanges = :joker:

Slothy
06-01-2012, 12:28 PM

I tend not to like the AI characters or sharing power or anything like that. So 90% of the time I wipe them off the map as quickly and brutally as possible. Or, if not quickly, I'll tech up quickly then wipe them off the map. As they say: one fish, two fish. Red fish, nuke fish.

Occasionally I do the space victory if I feel like going to Alpha Centauri and starting over there. This is usually preceded by nuking everyone else on the map then fleeing the solar system.

I'm honestly not too sure if I've done any other victory type. I've probably done all or most of them at some point, but I'm so partial to radioactive wastelands that I can't remember them.

Jiro
06-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Badly. Not gonna lie.

Madame Adequate
06-01-2012, 03:29 PM
NUKE EVERYTHING :jess:

Okay so sometimes I don't do that. Sometimes I CHOP EVERYTHING WITH AXES!

I like Mansa Musa for tech games for obvious reasons, but I often play with C2C so there's a new Scientific trait which is baller as hell, so I play Henry VIII there because he is Sci/Ind. I like Huayna Capac a lot too. Louis XIV is awesome because hnnnngggg dat culture. I'm partial to Gilly, Churchill, and Mao because I'm a sucker for Protective even though the accepted wisdom is that it's not that strong compared to others. Recently fallen right back in love with Spiritual, and my current game as Izzy (Pike is Cathy) is holy crap glorious.

If you want to see something truly obscene, play with unrestricted leaders and use Boudicca of Rome. Agg/Chm/Praetorians. Nobody makes it out of the Classical Era.

escobert
06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
I build up my cities and defenses then let all the world kill each other until I just slowly take over :D

Pike
06-07-2012, 02:18 PM
MILF and I are currently playing a gloooorious 18-civ game which is down to like... an 8-civ game now, I think? Because we're just pounding everyone into dust :jess:

Slothy
06-07-2012, 02:19 PM
I've never tried a game with that many Civ's before. Perhaps I'll give it a go this weekend.

Old Manus
06-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I...I freely admit it. I have never played a Civilization game.

i haven't played smac either

Slothy
06-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Can you drunk tank Manus for that Pike?

Psychotic
06-07-2012, 05:31 PM
I used to play the original Civilization I when I was 6 or 7. Yeah, I'm more hardcore than lightweights like Vivi22 and Pike. :)

Civ II was a dream. Civ Revolution is also a good fast and furious little slice of Civ that I am fond of.

Pike
06-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I...I freely admit it. I have never played a Civilization game.

i haven't played smac either

You cut me deep, bro :(

Old Manus
06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
But...but I played Pharoah!

Pike
06-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Okay guys

Okay

Some guy has been playing the same save file of Civ 2 for ten years. Fate Of The World: The Decade-Long Game of Civ II | Rock, Paper, Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/12/fate-of-the-world-the-decade-long-game-of-civ-ii/)

Dignified Pauper
06-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Hands down, Alpha Centauri is the best Civilization game ever.

Sylvie
06-12-2012, 08:33 PM
I play Civilization II: Test of Time every so often. I usually choose the Germans and rename them to the Ostrogoths and just piss all over everyone.

I really enjoy playing the Fantasy game too. I am eternally at war with the Goblins.

Jinx
06-12-2012, 08:39 PM
I super want to play Civ cos of you guys.

Sylvie
06-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I promptly started a Fantasy game in Civ II after making my post. I haven't encountered the Goblins yet, but those mother:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:ers are going to get their green asses handed to them.

edczxcvbnm
06-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Okay guys

Okay

Some guy has been playing the same save file of Civ 2 for ten years. Fate Of The World: The Decade-Long Game of Civ II | Rock, Paper, Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/12/fate-of-the-world-the-decade-long-game-of-civ-ii/)

This is awesome beyond words. He is going to upload the save file to the web soon. I will download that shit and get my ass kicked XD

escobert
06-12-2012, 10:49 PM
I just don't understand how you can play the same map for that long. I always either killed everybody or got to another panet within a week of playing or so :/

Laddy
06-12-2012, 11:23 PM
I super want to play Civ cos of you guys.
I'd start with Civ IV. Civ V is inferior to it, but potentially improve with some expansions.

escobert
06-12-2012, 11:28 PM
No laddy be quiet. II is best and the only one that should EVER be played!

edczxcvbnm
06-13-2012, 06:18 AM
If anyone wants to see the chaos of that Reddit poster, he has posted his save file.

Here it is. : theeternalwar (http://www.reddit.com/r/theeternalwar/comments/uyswv/here_it_is/)

Sylvie
06-13-2012, 07:30 AM
No laddy be quiet. II is best and the only one that should EVER be played!

Skyblade
06-13-2012, 02:16 PM
I haven't played Civ 4 or 5, mostly because I thought Civ 3 was horrible.

Civ 2 is an awesome game though.

Sylvie
06-13-2012, 08:40 PM
I haven't played Civ 4 or 5, mostly because I thought Civ 3 was horrible.
This. Thank you. I really didn't enjoy Civ 3.

Agent Proto
06-13-2012, 08:46 PM
I never got into Civ III from what little I played into it when my dad bought the game. So I went on a long hiatus away from playing Civilization. It's only recently when Pike brought back my interest into Civ that I bought myself Civ IV (complete set) this year. I might try out Civ V since it looks really good, but Civ IV is really good and is better than Civ II, which was like my favorite Civ game.

Sylvie
06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Update: I still have not gone to war with the Goblins, but it is now imminent. The both of us were at war with the Humans. I did most of the work. Then the Goblins walked right in on the very last city I had just spent my time raping, and now the fucking credit is theirs for destroying the Humans. I fucking hate the Goblins.

Laddy
06-13-2012, 09:37 PM
IV > II > I > III > V

KentaRawr!
06-18-2012, 08:16 PM
I've never played Civ. Is it about countries and stuff?

Laddy
06-18-2012, 09:44 PM
I've never played Civ. Is it about countries and stuff?
It is agame of strategy and action. Choice and consequence. Good and evil. War and dpeace. Science and art. Life and death. Rise and fall.

I'm actually being serious. It is all of those things.

Madame Adequate
06-19-2012, 12:28 AM
IV > II > I > III > V

Word.

krissy
06-19-2012, 05:23 AM
I've been playing the same game of Civilization II for almost 10 years. This is the result. : gaming (http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/)

10 Year Old Civ II Game - Imgur (http://imgur.com/a/rAnZs)

Loony BoB
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
I love playing Civ IV! Danielle and I play it together over LAN, and it's great fun. But I will happily concede I'm useless on the medium to high difficulties. I think we're far too interested in exploring the world and building wonders to bother with challenging gameplay. I can't remember the ranks off the top of my head, but I think we use the third easiest one when playing on the same team. It's almost like cheating, but we don't care, because exploreexploreexplore! Once we have discovered the world and need to go to war, Danielle generally gets bored. I only get bored when I know that the rest of the world domination is nothing short of a formality.

Madame Adequate
06-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Having fun is the important part. Whilst I can hack it on the higher difficulties I very rarely play on them, for precisely the same reason - I just want to derp around building my empire and teching.

Laddy
06-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Just got Gods & Kings on a whim and...

I like it. Quite a bit. The new civs are fun and the AI is immensely improved, as I feel my attempts at diplomacy actually pay off. Civs actually have a reason to decalre war now. The new customizable religions add a new layer of depth, giving interesting bonuses to the gameplay. Also, espionage is incredibly useful as it's very detail and serves as a new way of interempire dynamics.

I like it. It immensely improves the Civ V experience for me.

Madame Adequate
06-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Yeah but the 1UPT remains a problem... still, maybe I'll give it a look if it's cheap at some point.

escobert
06-21-2012, 03:14 AM
does anyone know where to find a free copy of Civ 2?

Pike
06-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Search for FreeCiv. It's not the exact same as Civ 2 but it's a very good clone.

As for legit Civ 2, I'm sure you can find it somewhere. :shifty:

Madame Adequate
06-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Just get FreeCiv. It's Civ 2 but... free. And has billions of options and countries and suchlike.

Pike
06-21-2012, 03:44 AM
Just get FreeCiv. It's Civ 2 but... free. And has billions of options and countries and suchlike.

Mindhive :aimkiss:

Dignified Pauper
06-21-2012, 06:55 PM
I have to say that I really like the new and improved AI. I don't quite know how to utilize the advantages of religions, but the Byzantines are awesome!

Christmas
04-03-2022, 02:38 AM
Been playing VI with all the DLCs and expansion. So far so good. If only it supports larger map.