PDA

View Full Version : I choose... Not you?

Wolf Kanno
06-04-2012, 06:57 AM
A few months back I started an FFI game on NES version through WiiWare. I've played through the game at least twice now, so this is my third playthrough and I finally decided to try the fan favorite Red Mage class for the first time. Since I know so few around here probably never played the game more than once, I was curious to know which class people have not bothered playing as in this game.

Loony BoB
06-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Pretty sure I've played as all of them, but I always have at least Fighter, White Mage and Red Mage. So Black Belt, Thief or Black Mage have to fight for the last spot. I'm sure I've used all of them, though, even if only for a short while.

Bubba
06-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I recently finished my first play through of this game with a team of Fighter, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage. I was pretty close to choosing Red Mage as one of my starting four. He'll definitely get the nod if I play through this again.

Sephex
06-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I recently went through the original version through an emulator and also tried the Red Mage class for the first time (in terms of actually sticking through the entire game). Results: Somewhat impressed. Just as the class promises, you get a good balance of both mages and he packs a decent punch.

VeloZer0
06-05-2012, 03:46 AM
I used a Black Mage and a Thief once on my first playthrough of the game, and have never used them once since.

I am now midway through (on indefinite hiatus) of my first playthrough with a Monk.

Sum1sGruj
06-06-2012, 10:08 PM
http://www.ffinsider.net/final-fantasy-1/pics/ff1-fighter.gif
Warriors are pretty much mandatory.

But, I've heard you can make the the black belt into a proverbial nuke dropper.
I always neglected that class, however.

I've always been partial to the red mage for their versatility. And white & black mages are great as well. They put a bit more balance into the newer versions, but one thing I noticed is that you sort of felt guilty using black magic a lot outside of a boss battle. They did a lot of damage, but their MP ran out quicker then Muslim at a gay bar. Still, they are too good to pass up.

And Thieves are great specifically for their preemptive value.

My party was usually as follows:
-Warrior
-White Mage
-Black Mage
-Red Mage or Thief

To hell with you, Black Belt.

chionos
06-06-2012, 10:14 PM
I've played through several times so I've used everything at one time or another, but Black Belt's probably at the bottom of the list.

Jiro
06-07-2012, 03:54 AM
I never use Thief any more, though I did on my first play through. I usually leave either White or Black Mage at home, never take both except for that one time.

Sum1sGruj
06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I never use Thief any more, though I did on my first play through. I usually leave either White or Black Mage at home, never take both except for that one time.

I can deduce that you like the red mage.
Way to go. Red mages rock :D

Sylvie
06-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Red Mages are one of the best things Squaresoft has ever sculpted.

theundeadhero
06-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I always play through on my NES. I've used everyone but nowadays I never take a Black Mage or Thief. I had both on my first playthrough and I'm pretty sure I've used both at least a second time, but never anymore. I almost always take a Red Mage.

Wolf Kanno
06-08-2012, 05:15 AM
I'm digging the Red Mage in my current playthrough. Monk is the class where after I tried it, he's been a standard member of my party in every playthrough. I think Thief is the class I'll never get back to. Ninja's are pretty good, but not worth the hassle of lugging around a dead weight character life Thief. Black Mage is also not so great, but for the sake of nostalgia and loving it's design, I love having one in my party.

Sylvie
06-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Thieves are bullshit.

Tigmafuzz
06-09-2012, 01:40 AM
I almost always do two Red Mages, one White Mage, and one Black Mage. Recently I started up again and this time I'm doing one Red Mage, one Black Mage, a Monk, and a Thief. It's not going as well as I had hoped.

Sum1sGruj
06-09-2012, 02:20 AM
Thieves are bulltit.

You just don't know how to use them because you phucking suck, that's all.

*real trolling*

Mercen-X
06-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Pretty sure I've played as all of them.

QFT

Though I would usually play as Fighter/Warrior, Thief/Ninja, Red Mage, straggler.

ReloadPsi
06-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I used the Black Mage the least because it becomes horribly obsolete once you find items that cast the level 2 spells on all enemies for free.

Actually it becomes horribly obsolete earlier than that if you use a Red Mage. The Red Mage is the best and most broken class by far in the NES version, and this is coming from someone who hates the colour red.

The BM in FF1 is completely useless as the RM can do most of what it can do, and by the time the BM has enough MP to cast its spells more than three or four times they're now pointless because your physical attackers will do more damage with melee damage. By the time you can afford the level 2 attacks, the Red Mage's level will be high enough to cast them. Sure, RM can't cast Flare/Nuke/whatever but by the time you can get that spell you don't even need it any more.