PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who did this?

Wolf Kanno
06-04-2012, 09:41 AM
I really don't care what the correct pronunciation is... May-Ko just sounds cooler than Mah-ko and I still call it by the first pronunciation even though I know the second is correct. Am I the only one like this?

Loony BoB
06-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Mayko is how I say it, too. There are a few things I do this way and don't care about the 'correct' way of things. Thai-diss, not Tee-diss. Air-iss, not Aer-ith. And so on!

Bubba
06-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I always pronounced it mah-ko but I agree that may-ko does sound better.

Speaking of incorrect pronunciations... for years I thought that Nibelheim was actually pronounced Nibelhelm. I still catch myself saying it from time to time.

Jinx
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Lol, Red VIII, am I right, guys?

CimminyCricket
06-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I didn't even know the correct pronunciation was mah-ko, I always thought it was may-koh. But that's coming from the kid who use to say choboco, red ex-3 and chaus emerald instead of kaos emerald. xD

Sephex
06-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Just posting to confirm another "Mayko" dude here. Plus, it let me make the lame joke, "Uh oh! Better get 'Mako!'" Not sure of how many people are familiar with that commercial...

Depression Moon
06-04-2012, 09:39 PM
I am and I never knew it was supposed to be pronounced Mah-ko.

Slothy
06-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Fuck every single person who calls it mah-ko. Mah-ko is not the name of a shark and therefore not badass.

chionos
06-05-2012, 04:47 AM
May-ko, even if Vivi hadn't made the most convincing argument ever.

VeloZer0
06-05-2012, 06:20 AM
smurf every single person who calls it mah-ko. Mah-ko is not the name of a shark and therefore not badass.
So I wasn't the only person who immediately started thinking about sharks when Mako was first introduced.

Mercen-X
06-05-2012, 07:04 AM
That species of shark was named in 1809. The namer, Constantine Rafinesque, could easily have been pronouncing the word as Mah-ko and it's pronunciation could simply have been lost through the use of written word.

Anyway, I don't care if the word Mako is related to a shark... I don't think it sounds cool in either pronunciation. May-ko makes me think of auto repair which is stupid. Mahko sounds like the Japanese romaji of Mock: Mock Reactor. Of course, I suppose it could be "Mach Reactor"... which is semi-redundant.

I don't care how you pronounce Aerish either. I still don't know how to correctly pronounce nibble-haym, nybul-hAIm...

blackmage_nuke
06-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Im the only person ive met irl who pronounces it Mac (as in macintosh) - oh (as in glow)

Though if I had to choose one of the main two pronunciations I'd say mahko sounds better than mayko

MJN SEIFER
06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
At first I think I said "Macko" but after I saw an anime with a character called Mako whose name was pronounced "Marko" I pronounced it that way. Embarassingly before I got the game, and was reading a walkthrough on it I kept reading Midgar as "Midjar" which is grammatically impossible. Sometimes in my mind only it is still "midjar"...

Sum1sGruj
06-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I really don't care what the correct pronunciation is... May-Ko just sounds cooler than Mah-ko and I still call it by the first pronunciation even though I know the second is correct. Am I the only one like this?

I've always pronounced it May-ko.

In all reality, they are both correct. Some word are like that. Like Carribean- you can say karuh-be-in or carib-ean.
There aren't but so many grammar rules. If the author wanted it that way, they should have worded it as such :D

Arizona Lively
06-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Mahko sounds good. I've never played it, but' sounds good enough.

Jiro
06-07-2012, 05:53 AM
I say Mah-ko because it is the official but I thought and still think May-ko sounds better.

Sword
06-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Pronouncing it "may-ko"? How? Why? Sounds awful.

Sum1sGruj
06-07-2012, 11:12 AM

It makes me want to dive into the Lifestream headfirst with my balls tucked just hearing it that way. May-ko is the word, dammit!

Wolf Kanno
06-07-2012, 05:41 PM

Because it's how an english speakers grammar and syllable structure would pronounce it. If it was pronounced like that in Japanese it would probably be spelled Meko instead. Mahko just sounds silly to me, like I'm pronouncing some silly tonguetwister/Dr. Suess type rhyme scheme "Rokko's Paco taco is in his Mahko".

Roogle
06-07-2012, 05:47 PM

This is how I pronounced it as a child. I see Mako as a Japanese name from time to time and, of course, it is pronounced differently. My internal pronunciation has changed the way that I pronounce it to mirror that of the Japanese name.

Bolivar
06-11-2012, 11:47 PM
I still say Mayko and Aeris :)

Raistlin
06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Mayko all the way. I think that's the majority pronunciation in the US.

Jinx
06-12-2012, 08:18 PM
OKAY

people

when you say AERIS how do you say it?

Some people say it like the astrological sign--Aries. I say it like the word Heiress.

Mercen-X
06-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I pronounced it the first way for a long time. When I found her name was supposed to be Aerith, I switched to Heiress.
Embarassingly before I got the game, was reading a walkthrough on it, I kept reading Midgar as "Midjar" which is grammatically impossible. Sometimes in my mind only it is still "midjar"...First of all, I'm not sure grammar has anything to do with pronunciation. Secondly, if you consider the first four letters alone "midg", you could easily mistake that for midge as in "midget." Of course, knowing it was named after Midgard (anglicised form of Old Norse name meaning "middle enclosure") the name for the world inhabited by men (in other words, Gaia, Terra, the Planet, etc.) would have helped.

Raistlin
06-12-2012, 08:32 PM
OKAY

people

when you say AERIS how do you say it?

Some people say it like the astrological sign--Aries. I say it like the word Heiress.

Aries all the way, which I think is probably typical for the US. "Heiress"? Wtf.

Wolf Kanno
06-12-2012, 09:17 PM
I said it like Heiress, Aries just sounds too masculine for an overly feminine character like Aerith. Though, when I learned what her real name was, I've consistently taken advantage of the name change feature to correct the localization team's mistake. So the pronunciation isn't much of a big deal like the Mako one is.

Jinx
06-12-2012, 09:23 PM
I wonder how many people named her Aretha.

Jiro
06-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Aeris is clearly not Aries though. I pronounce it Air-is, like the "is" in hiss. Although I do still call her Aerith from time to time in which case the end syllable becomes "ith" like in with.

Tigmafuzz
06-13-2012, 09:07 AM
I wonder how many people named her Aretha.

I wonder how many people named her Urethra.

Bubba
06-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Urethra Franklin

Jinx
06-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Aeris is clearly not Aries though. I pronounce it Air-is, like the "is" in hiss. Although I do still call her Aerith from time to time in which case the end syllable becomes "ith" like in with.

In other words, "Heiress"

SHE'S THE HEIRESS OF THE PLANET SO IT TOTALLY WORKS GUISE

Edit: I just realized that the reason some people think heiress would be weird is because the pronounce that heir-ess. I pronounce it heir-iss because of my accent.

Mercen-X
06-13-2012, 10:09 PM
What accent?
Aries just sounds too masculine

Personally, Ithought she had a foreign name so when I pronounced her name, I was trying to take the Japanese pronunciation of the syllables into account. Ah-eh-reese, was too weird to be correct so I stuck with Eh-reese.

Karifean
06-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Ah-air-iss.