PDA

View Full Version : Watch Dogs

Pike
06-05-2012, 05:26 AM
The new espionage-ish game announced by Ubisoft at E3. Here's the trailer:

FcMRkyoHKeA

Let us discuss how amazing this looks so we don't fill the E3 thread with our spazzing :hyper:

chionos
06-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Pretty dern smexy. Loved the visuals. Loved the concept. Loved the hack mechanic. One thing I'm curious about, and will be a huge factor in whether I ultimately enjoy the game as much as I think I will, is whether the intersection accident and the gunfight that follows is triggered/scripted, or real-time. As in, if you don't trigger the pileup at the intersection, will the dude show up anyway and you have to figure out another way to deal with him and his cronies? I hope so. The only thing that sucks about it, is I WANT TO PLAY IT RIGHT NOW.

Bunny
06-05-2012, 07:06 AM
The demo looked really, really good. However, I am not going to get my hopes up on an equally as good final product, as that is more difficult to do than make a 10 minute video. There have been so many cool concepts that have resulted in fairly poor final products that I have learned my lesson.

Regardless, sweet demo.

krissy
06-05-2012, 08:40 AM
i had a thought

what if this is the final game in the assasins creed series

im not sure which would be more epic; if it was an original concept game, or if it really was an assasins creed finale without the name tagged on

i think im drunkn

Pete for President
06-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Pretty dern smexy. Loved the visuals. Loved the concept. Loved the hack mechanic. One thing I'm curious about, and will be a huge factor in whether I ultimately enjoy the game as much as I think I will, is whether the intersection accident and the gunfight that follows is triggered/scripted, or real-time. As in, if you don't trigger the pileup at the intersection, will the dude show up anyway and you have to figure out another way to deal with him and his cronies? I hope so. The only thing that sucks about it, is I WANT TO PLAY IT RIGHT NOW.

I agree. I was loving it until the firefight started and the guy started one-man-army-ing the place. Enemies started firing straight away too, which came as a lame surprise because the main character was undercover the whole time. And in contrast to as how realistic everyone behaved up to that moment, these goons were your standard mindless kill-kill-kill robots. I'd like to see them crawling out of their cars, semi-helpless, making their way to the big man to rescue him. The multiplayer aspect seems interesting though.

Psychotic
06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Visually stunning and the concept is cool. I'm with Bunny on this one - I'll keep an eye on it but I'm not going to get carried away yet.

Sephex
06-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I also have a wait and see approach. I am interested, but I am going to wait for more info to come out before I decide to go all crazy.

Old Manus
06-05-2012, 12:26 PM
My reaction during the first five minutes: Hmm, this looks pretty cool. Finally a proper open-ended sneaking game that isn't Deus Ex! Jamming electrical equipment! Sneaking past security! Eavesdropping on conversations! This looks pretty good.

My reaction after he walks outside: Okay so what now, are we going to wait for him to appear and follow him in or someth - ok that traffic light thing was pretty coo - wow a car crash! And...explosions, and...oh, right. Ho-hum, gun down guards, soak up bullets, cause big bangs, whatever.

This game isn't new or revolutionary. I had high hopes up until he started sliding over the tops of vehicles and gunning down waves of bodyguards armed with assault rifles. I've played this game one hundred times before. How hard is it to just make the espionage and gathering information part the actual game instead of wasting a nice buildup with big, unrealistic firefights and blowing up civilians?

Loony BoB
06-05-2012, 02:15 PM
My reaction during the first five minutes: Hmm, this looks pretty cool. Finally a proper open-ended sneaking game that isn't Deus Ex! Jamming electrical equipment! Sneaking past security! Eavesdropping on conversations! This looks pretty good.

My reaction after he walks outside: Okay so what now, are we going to wait for him to appear and follow him in or someth - ok that traffic light thing was pretty coo - wow a car crash! And...explosions, and...oh, right. Ho-hum, gun down guards, soak up bullets, cause big bangs, whatever.

This game isn't new or revolutionary. I had high hopes up until he started sliding over the tops of vehicles and gunning down waves of bodyguards armed with assault rifles. I've played this game one hundred times before. How hard is it to just make the espionage and gathering information part the actual game instead of wasting a nice buildup with big, unrealistic firefights and blowing up civilians?
Sums up my thoughts, too. I don't mind gunfights, but make them different. If you're an espionage expert, don't be a firearms expert as well. Make it so you need to rely on hacking in order to get out of really tricky situations, and otherwise make the gunfights against one or two goons instead of ten.

Roto13
06-05-2012, 02:53 PM
PS4/Xbox 720

Mirage
06-05-2012, 03:07 PM
What mold anus said.

Pike
06-05-2012, 04:10 PM
I dunno what you guys are on about I could just walk around and troll people's phones and do nothing else and I'd be content; I don't give a wooden nickel about the plot or the gunfights or anything else

GOTYAY

Roto13
06-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Some people don't want new big-budget games to appeal to anyone but them.

Mirage
06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
yeah but maybe at one point or another you'd want to finish the game too, and then suddenly you can't avoid the "i can soak up 500 bullets without dying" part

Pike
06-05-2012, 04:15 PM
yeah but I don't care about that stuff Mirage

I mean my favorite Xbox 360 game is Earth Defense Force 2017 which is about giant UFOs and stuff sitting there and lasering me in the face for one twentieth of my health

I just care about how in Watch Dogs when you mess up everyone's phone, like 20 different people react

Beautiful!

krissy
06-05-2012, 04:24 PM
hey did you guys see how people freaked out when their friends/family memebers got killed during the gun fight? that was pretty cool

Mirage
06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
that said, i might get this game

if the focus on cover-based shooting doesn't become too big

Pike
06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
hey did you guys see how people freaked out when their friends/family memebers got killed during the gun fight? that was pretty cool

yes! Also the guy getting splashed by the taxi

Madame Adequate
06-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I share Bunny and Psy's sense of caution, but I don't see how you can begin to think this is generic. The shootan didn't look earth-shattering, granted, but I'm not going to condemn a game for lacking originality because it contains shooting alongside all that really great other stuff. Might as well say "I was interested in Watch Dogs until he started walking, walking is so overdone and is in like every game ever, how generic."

Sephex
06-05-2012, 07:29 PM
I share Bunny and Psy's sense of caution, but I don't see how you can begin to think this is generic. The shootan didn't look earth-shattering, granted, but I'm not going to condemn a game for lacking originality because it contains shooting alongside all that really great other stuff. Might as well say "I was interested in Watch Dogs until he started walking, walking is so overdone and is in like every game ever, how generic."

It's all about jogging anyway. Don't even mention running! Running is a buzz word.

Bolivar
06-05-2012, 07:59 PM
The shoot-out didn't really seem all that obfuscating for me. It was only a couple guys. And I liked the slow-down cinematic when he slid over the car to take out one of the last guys. A lot of games try to do that. Not sure how many do it like that.

Supposedly it's going to release on Xbox 360/PS3, but... I don't know, I'm interested in knowing what was in the rig they were running that on. I'm very impressed, looking forward to more.

Roto13
06-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Supposedly it's going to release on Xbox 360/PS3,

Says who?

Loony BoB
06-06-2012, 12:11 AM
One thing I will say is that I fully expect after plaing Watch Dogs that every sci fi near-or-distant future video game that I play afterwards will need some kind of similar function to this or else I will feel like I am playing in a very cheapo future. I'm lookin' at you, Deus Ex!

Bunny
06-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Supposedly it's going to release on Xbox 360/PS3,

Says who?

Ubisoft, namely their CEO, announced they would be releasing it on the 360, PS3, and PC during an interview with someone from Spike TV.

Supposedly it's going to release on Xbox 360/PS3, but... I don't know, I'm interested in knowing what was in the rig they were running that on. I'm very impressed, looking forward to more.

It was being played on an expensive PC. So.. the console versions probably won't look nearly as polished and unless you have a high-end gaming PC neither will the PC version.

Mirage
06-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Well, even an aging GTX460 is gonna squeeze out 4 times the performance of a PS360, so it probably won't need that much of a superduper PC

edczxcvbnm
06-06-2012, 03:53 PM
I will base my thoughts on if the demo lives up to what they showed. The hacking seems gimmicky but it looks like they have a ton of the work done already when it comes to effects and map design so now it is probably a matter of creating missions and making the hacking abilities seem useful.

What I really liked is what I love about Assassins Creed, the city feels alive. When I hack everyones phone, people that are affected act like you might expect. Citizens are not homed in on you and treat you like an everyday NPC until you make it obvious that you are king asshole. Citizens also look like they will react to a situation like the car crash by helping other people out. Being able to to help people in the car get away from the gun fight is also kind of intriguing in that the fights are more than just kill the bad guys.

Also, the game takes place in Chicago and I recognize the city and layout as I work in Chicago. The only downside is that it isn't a perfect replica of the city (Gas Station....in the theater district? GTFO!). But the layout is accurate so that mean I know my way around the city already. I can't wait to blow up people on the Magnificent Mile =D

Quindiana Jones
06-11-2012, 11:17 AM
I know that I should remain cautious and unhyped, but that doesn't change the fact that I've gone cross-eyed and am ecstatically whimpering right now.

The gunfight was decent enough, some interesting things there. Is everyone going to see the same crash if they hack the traffics lights, I wonder? Helping some civilians out was pretty cool and hints that there's some realistic emotion here somewhere. I mean, the protagonist caused a huge crash and used the cars - with the civilians still inside - as cover, but helped a survivor get out of the way.

I also want to play around with the communications jamming. If I kill someone on the street, will the people nearby start calling the cops, or an ambulance? Do they call the fire brigade to deal with anything? Or do those services get called in automatically by the game? If someone does need to call the cops for them to arrive, it'd be pretty sweet to hack their phone and just walk away. That helicopter got there pretty sharpish, so I have my doubts that it will work like that.