PDA

View Full Version : My gripes with the complete collection...

Fynn
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
While I love the Complete Collection on the PSP for what they did with the After Years, I am really not satisfied with the treatment FFIV got. It's basically FFIV Advance with "nicer" graphics. The difficulty level is the same, all the improvements to the gameplay that are there in the DS remake are gone, making this feel like a step backwards (oh, Edward, I had already forgotten how you used to suck :cry:). So that's one thing. Now, about the "nicer" graphics... 2D games with HD artwork are nice, as evidenced with the After Yeares which, in my opinion, look gorgeous, but TAY has one thing FFIV doesn't - a consistent art style. Overworld sprites are Amano-inspired, while the battle sprites and portraits are clearly meant to be inspired by the original game (and those didn't match each other there either, but since that was an old game it can be excused. Here - not so much). Thus, Paladin Cecil looks like his Amano design on the overworld, with very long hair and blue eyes, on the portrait his hair is mid-length, while in battle he has short hair and green eyes... Now, this may be a nitpick, but I think these days, such inconsistencies in art style are unacceptable. The same thing bothered me about BoFIII. Guess it's a pet peeve of mine.

So, what do you guys like/don't like about the Complete Collection?

Mirage
06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
What I don't like is that it's not available on PSN.

Sephex
06-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I felt the After Years leans way too hard on FFIV nostalgia. They had some good ideas in that story, but they also felt obligated to recreate every major event in the game.

Hollycat
06-05-2012, 05:34 PM
What I don't like is that it's not available on PSN.
Yeah it is.

Mirage
06-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Not for PS3

Fynn
06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Well, the best thing about this version of TAY is that it's portable...

Mirage
06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Not if you don't have a portable console.

Fynn
06-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Not if you don't have a portable console.

I'm so sorry for you :cry:

VeloZer0
06-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Some of us prefer the option of real controllers and TVs over portability. ;)

Wolf Kanno
06-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Then get a Wii and a Classic Controller and stop your bitching. ;)

I agree with Sephex, TAY's plot-lines are basically you replaying most of FFIV again just with some new characters. Some of the new gameplay mechanics are really nice which is why I kept playing it, but I never felt like the plot really justified itself. It was like X-2 or the Compilation, where I kind of felt like the story was just pulled out of the creator's ass so they can print some more money rather than actually try to extend an IP in a meaningful way.

I also really just don't like Squenix's HD Sprites, I've always felt they looked kind of overly cartoony for some reason.

Mirage
06-06-2012, 11:22 AM
I think it's really amusing how you think the solution is "buy something for 150 bucks + the cost of the game" when it could just as easily have been solved with "release it on PSN".

Wolf Kanno
06-06-2012, 06:50 PM
No, I'm just telling you that there is an option to play it on a console, whether you can or not is your own problem. :p The Japanese market has mostly moved the JRPG genre to handhelds so you may just want to buck up and buy a Vita or 3DS this generation instead of one of the consoles if you wish to play the bulk of the genre anymore. Consoles are just becoming impractical in Japan, so developers are going where those consumers are going, to phones and handhelds.

Roogle
06-07-2012, 12:13 AM
I felt the After Years leans way too hard on FFIV nostalgia. They had some good ideas in that story, but they also felt obligated to recreate every major event in the game.

I believe that was its purpose. It originally made its debut as a simple mobile game and I don't think too much emphasis was placed on the story during its development. It had to have simple plots to keep up with the chapter release format designed for mobile phones at the time.

Fynn
06-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Oh, and one more thing. Think TAY was pointless? What about the -Interlude-, huh? :mad:

Hollycat
06-08-2012, 09:20 PM
No one is going to argue that. But hey, at $12, the CC aint bad.

sabin101
06-09-2012, 12:31 AM
When the game first came out I went down to gamestop and it was the last copy in the whole store. I was so happy to snag the last one. I thought the game was kind of easy compared to the ds version which is extremely hard. The after years is okay I guess did not really get into it. I am kind of sick of seeing remakes of four why not ff 5 or 6. The one thing I have noticed no matter what they have done for ff 4 each one is totally different from the previous version lol.

Fynn
06-09-2012, 09:09 AM

Of course it's worth its price. Just sayin' it would still be totally worth it without the Interlude. And I just love the After Years :cool:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-12-2012, 08:10 PM
The same thing bothered me about BoFIII. Guess it's a pet peeve of mine.

Could you give examples of what you didn't like in BoFIII? That's one of my favorite games of all time, so I'd like to see what you mean the next time I play it.

Fynn
06-12-2012, 10:14 PM
The same thing bothered me about BoFIII. Guess it's a pet peeve of mine.

Could you give examples of what you didn't like in BoFIII? That's one of my favorite games of all time, so I'd like to see what you mean the next time I play it.

Exactly what I mentioned bothers me about FFIV on the PSP: the inconsistent art style. Portraits that don't match the artwork and sprites that don't match either. Take a look ;) And I know it's a good game, since I've beaten it, though I still largely prefer IV and DQ.

Roogle
06-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Oh, and one more thing. Think TAY was pointless? What about the -Interlude-, huh? :mad:

I am not sure what could have been done with the Interlude. Its placement in the timeline does not lend itself to adventure well. It might have been more exciting if it used other characters besides the ones seen in the game.

ReloadPsi
06-14-2012, 08:55 PM

Of course it's worth its price. Just sayin' it would still be totally worth it without the Interlude. And I just love the After Years :cool:

I've been playing TAY and have really enjoyed it so far. Edward, who was always my favourite character in the first place (and a wonderful way to find out how good/bad someone was at the game) is pretty bad-ass now, at least in terms of how smart and cunning he got! :D