PDA

View Full Version : TV Show VS Movies

rosemarie
06-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Hello Everyone,

I like to watch movies rather than TV Shows..
I think Movies are more entertaining than TV Shows.....

What do you like to watch TV Shows OR Movies???

Pike
06-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Toasting in a bot bread.

Also, I rarely watch either anymore, but overall I probably watch more movies.

krissy
06-06-2012, 07:26 PM
sherlock
and then it's like i'm watching both
cause i am

Alpha2099
06-06-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm not a movie person much. I'll see some occasionally, but I don't get all hyped up like some people.

For me, it's TV. But even then, when I'm at school, I don't watch much outside of sporting events.

Del Murder
06-06-2012, 07:57 PM
I definitely watch more TV. Fewer movies have been appealing to me. TV has come a long way that for many shows (like Game of Thrones) each episode has the production value of a movie.

sumit
06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
I watch both but like watch movies than tv shows.i love movies.

Jinx
06-06-2012, 11:25 PM
TV shows, definitely.

fire_of_avalon
06-07-2012, 02:53 AM
A good mix of both, but I rarely ever watch tv shows on their first run. I'm working my way through Breaking Bad right now so I can watch the final season as a first run and after that I'll probably watch the first season of Game of Thrones then Supernatural.

And I have the first seasons of Justified on DVD because it was hella cheap and I know even if it's not great Timothy Olyphant is sexy.

Bunny
06-07-2012, 03:27 AM
And I have the first seasons of Justified on DVD because it was hella cheap and I know even if it's not great Timothy Olyphant is sexy.

The first season was surprisingly good. I should catch up on that.

I watch more television than movies because of the expanded time frame that it has to tell a story. Shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are perfect examples of the current superiority of television over movies.

Jiro
06-07-2012, 03:36 AM
I watch a lot more movies but that's because they're smaller, more bitesized morsels. I love Game of Thrones like everybody else in here but sometimes I don't want a fucking cliff hanger to torment me all day, I want it all wrapped up in the end.

Shiny
06-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I exclusively watch movies rather than TV. That's because most of TV is garbage. I prefer to watch television shows without commercial breaks, laugh tracks, and that are like films. I will be getting into watching the new and old seasons of Breaking Bad and when it comes out, the new season of Walking Dead. I might give this Game of Thrones everyone's been talking about a try. Other then that, meh.

Rantz
06-07-2012, 09:11 AM
I tend to go through cycles of watching one more than the other. Right now I'm in a TV cycle, but I can feel a movie cycle coming on.

I watch more television than movies because of the expanded time frame that it has to tell a story. Shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are perfect examples of the current superiority of television over movies.

I agree with this on one level. At the same time, a lot of shows lose sight of this and keep running just because they're lucrative. If the writers are good (e.g. Dexter, where every season is one story in itself) they might still manage to tell a good story, but too often there's just no story to tell anymore. In that sense movies can be superior because it's easier to keep the story on track. Certain sequels excepted...

Jiro
06-08-2012, 06:17 AM
http://db.tt/cgFBwf2Z

Miriel
06-08-2012, 08:18 AM
I exclusively watch movies rather than TV. That's because most of TV is garbage. I prefer to watch television shows without commercial breaks, laugh tracks, and that are like films. I will be getting into watching the new and old seasons of Breaking Bad and when it comes out, the new season of Walking Dead. I might give this Game of Thrones everyone's been talking about a try. Other then that, meh.

But there is a titton of bad movies too.

I watch more TV than movies just for the simple reason that it's more accessible. It's way easier to watch an episode of TV before going to bed, than watch a movie. And literally, it comes right to your living room. And it's a ton easier to stream and watch online versus a movie. The time investment is smaller, and there's a familiarity there that makes it easier for you to jump right in.

I usually only get really into movies during oscar season when I try and watch as many of the good stuff released in Nov/Dec. And of course the occasional summer blockbusters. I'll sometimes randomly watch older movies on Netflix but it's such a bitch scrolling through and trying to find something good.

And I agree that there's a lot of great TV out there right now, but I think there's always been great TV. I grew up on I Love Lucy and the Twilight Zone.

Right now, there's SO many good shows that are airing, or recently finished airing a season. And some are better than their movie counterparts. Check out the BBC's Sherlock. Such a mesmerizing show. Just brilliant stuff and better than the movies (which were decent).

And Parks & Recreation is funnier than anything I've seen in the movies in a loooong time. Gutbusting funny.

Shiny
06-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Well yeah, of course there are many crappy movies. The good thing is that I can pick and choose the movies I want to watch exclusively. With television it's just what's on the air. I don't have much control over what I watch when it comes to that and I'm not going to pay for Hulu to watch stuff that I want to see when I want to see it. It should just already be available and good. Since I don't have Hulu or stuff like that I mainly just view everything either from collection of movies people I know have or from what's airing and available to me on my cable plan.

The problem with television shows is that there has been nothing on TV NEW that has actually been good in years with the exception of some things people have listed in here (Dexter, Breaking Bad, etc.). Most television shows that I do watch are ones that you've mentioned which were all from a while ago.

But the same reasons you prefer television are why I prefer movies. It's more accessible to me and I can just watch a bunch of stuff before I go to bed in the comfort of my bedroom. I have a lot of movie cable channels.

Miriel
06-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Check out sites like Sidereel if you're having trouble finding tv shows. I watch a ton of my shows from there.

The problem with television shows is that there has been nothing on TV NEW that has actually been good in years with the exception of some things people have listed in here (Dexter, Breaking Bad, etc.). Most television shows that I do watch are ones that you've mentioned which were all from a while ago.

I don't think that's true. In the past season alone you have Sherlock, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Downton Abbey, The Killing, The Borgias, Game of Thrones, Parks & Rec, Modern Family, Raising Hope, Mad Men, Nurse Jackie, Damages, Boardwalk Empire, Community, The Good Wife.

Combined, these shows have over 100 hours of quality television.

And that's not even counting guilty pleasure shows like The Walking Dead.

It's totally cool that you prefer movies to tv shows. I just think it's weird to claim that that most tv shows are tit, or that there hasn't been anything good in years.

Roto13
06-09-2012, 04:06 AM
TV comedies are about a hundred million times as funny as movie comedies. Just throwing that out there.
Well yeah, of course there are many crappy movies. The good thing is that I can pick and choose the movies I want to watch exclusively. With television it's just what's on the air. I don't have much control over what I watch when it comes to that and I'm not going to pay for Hulu to watch stuff that I want to see when I want to see it. It should just already be available and good. Since I don't have Hulu or stuff like that I mainly just view everything either from collection of movies people I know have or from what's airing and available to me on my cable plan.

Basically, you want to watch TV shows on demand, but you're not willing to pay a few bucks a month for TV on demand. Aren't you in the States, anyway? You know there's a free version of Hulu, right? And why do you have cable?

Shiny
06-09-2012, 08:55 AM
It all amounts to me being poor. :( (And new TV being tit)

When I can I will try to catch things on my friend's Hulu or NetFlix, but they're so far between that I eventually give up on the series because I've missed so much. Many of the shows I like end up canceled anyway. If you can find me a better alternative I may actually start watching more television.

Right now only going to watch Game of Thrones because it's on HBO Demand and my household is subscribed to that.

With that said not all new TV is shit, but that doesn't always stop me from watching train wrecks. I actually think The Walking Dead is quite shitty and I still watch it. Horrible writing at times, but it's zombies so whatevs.

Bunny
06-09-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm confused.

Do you go see movies in the theater?

Also you completely contradicted yourself.

Rantz
06-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Let's start an internet argument about it!

Bunny
06-09-2012, 05:17 PM

EVERYONE HEARD IT. HE GAVE ME PERMISSION. YOU CANNOT FIGHT THIS IT IS HAPPENING.

Depression Moon
06-09-2012, 08:06 PM
I watch both, but I agree in general movies are more entertaining than TV shows.

Alpha2099
06-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Fictional Wife: Honey, come to bed!
Me: I can't. There is an urgent matter that demands my attention.
Fictional Wife: What is it?
Me: Someone is wrong​ on the Internet!

jimmycarry
06-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Hi..Friends.........
I like both movies and TV shows. But if you ask that what i prefer to see than i say movies. Movies are the love for me i like to movies rather than TV shows. But there are some TV shows that i really like to see are Teen Wolf, The Big Bang Theory, True Blood.

rosemarie
06-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks to all of you for sharing your views about this topic ............

Del Murder
06-11-2012, 05:09 PM
rosemarie you are now my favorite bot ever. Sorry, Archie.

Roto13
06-11-2012, 05:19 PM
rosemarie you are now my favorite bot ever. Sorry, Archie.

These bots with their actual threads and posts and stuff are creeping me out. Friggin' Skynet.

Miriel
06-11-2012, 09:42 PM
With that said not all new TV is tit, but that doesn't always stop me from watching train wrecks. I actually think The Walking Dead is quite titty and I still watch it. Horrible writing at times, but it's zombies so whatevs.

I totally agree with this! Walking Dead is an absolutely horrible show in terms of writing/editing/acting and a whole lot of times, it just plain does not make sense. The characters are idiots. And I also think it's one of the most overtly sexist and racist shows on television. I mean Jesus christ, T-Dog. Really. T-fucking-dog is the name of the black character. And I fucking hate Carl.

But I still watch it. There are good shows and then there are shows that despite their flaws, still happen to interest you. The Bachelor, Extreme Couponing, and the Walking Dead all hold my interest, despite being terrible shows.

Roto13
06-12-2012, 03:36 AM
And I also think it's one of the most overtly sexist and racist shows on television. I mean Jesus christ, T-Dog. Really. T-fucking-dog is the name of the black character.

Oh, I dunno. There are some pretty strong female characters in it. It's basically just Lori who sucks. If every woman was like Lori, I'd be a total misogynist.

The black guy is a non-character at this point, yeah. He's not in the comics. The comics have several strong black characters. Speaking of which, wait until you see Michonne in action next season. Black and female and the best character in the whole damn thing. ;P

Bunny
06-12-2012, 04:06 AM
All of the characters on Walking Dead are pretty retarded. It's probably the must frustrating show I have ever seen.

Miriel
06-12-2012, 06:43 AM
And I also think it's one of the most overtly sexist and racist shows on television. I mean Jesus christ, T-Dog. Really. T-smurfing-dog is the name of the black character.

Oh, I dunno. There are some pretty strong female characters in it. It's basically just Lori who sucks. If every woman was like Lori, I'd be a total misogynist.

The black guy is a non-character at this point, yeah. He's not in the comics. The comics have several strong black characters. Speaking of which, wait until you see Michonne in action next season. Black and female and the best character in the whole damn thing. ;P

Lori herself is sexist what with her women-should-wash-clothes-and-clean attitude. Andrea wasn't allowed to have her own god damn gun in a zombie apocalypse. Carol cries all the time and demands that men protect her and search for her missing daughter while she wrings her hands and frets. There's all that disapproving talk if a female dares to have sex. And then Jesus christ, the pregnancy storyline. Glenn, Rick, Dale, and even Maggie were smurfing awful in that storyline. Yeah, let's judge a woman on her reproductive choices during a ZOMBIE APOCOLYSPE. Glenn who I initially really liked sprouts bulltit about them womenz being cray cray because they're on their periods. And Shane. Mothersmurfing, wannabe rapist Shane. Ugggghhhhh.

I've heard great things about Michonne, but I'm not sure the sexist and racist overtones can be undone by the introduction of just one character. I am excited aout her though.

Having strong female characters is good, but that's just one part of it. I just seriously think the writers are a bunch of assholes.

Shiny
06-12-2012, 08:02 AM

EVERYONE HEARD IT. HE GAVE ME PERMISSION. YOU CANNOT FIGHT THIS IT IS HAPPENING.
:monster:

I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks True Blood is a good show. That is also tit. And now that beloved Franklin is dead there is nothing redeemable about that garbage apart from maybe the gratuitous nudity.

And to answer your question, I watch movies in a theater, DVD's, VHS (don't judge me) classrooms, on friend's NetFlix, and on mostly on my T.V. as they become available or are on. When I watch T.V. shows it's exclusively on T.V.

I tried getting in to Community and the like, I did, but just cannot. Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad could be my only saving grace. I don't even really have faith in Dexter like I once did since the last season was complete balls "OMG I LOVE MY BROTHER ACTUALLY." If I'm going to invest a great deal of time in to something it had better damn well have a good conclusion! With movies, if it's terrible, at least I don't have to spend ten episodes per season waiting for it to end terribly.

Miriel
06-12-2012, 09:50 AM
The beginning of Community, they were still trying to figure out what kind of show it was. It's not until halfway through the first season that it goes from mediocre to fantastic. The paintball episode in particular was amazballs.

Nobody thinks True Blood is a good show. Nobody. You watch it for the beautiful people running around naked having sex with each other.

Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad could be my only saving grace.
Way to ignore the rest of my awesome show suggestions. :(

Watch Mad Men if you want something artful and beautiful. It's very Joe Wright/Atonement-esque. It also has some of the most subtle and intriguing acting I've ever seen on television.

Or you could go back a few years and watch The West Wing, which I think is one of the best shows to ever exist.

Bunny
06-12-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks True Blood is a good show. That is also tit. And now that beloved Franklin is dead there is nothing redeemable about that garbage apart from maybe the gratuitous nudity.

There have been two mentions of True Blood in this thread: one is a bot, the other is you. True Blood is an abomination to television and the only reason people watch it is for the reasons Miriel suggested.

You seem to dislike television because you have more experience with movies. In the last few years, television has seen an incredible rise in quality and to completely ignore that or brush it off is pretty silly. Breaking Bad, Luther, Arrested Development, Castle, Community, Californication, Boardwalk Empire, Bored to Death, Homeland, Game of Thrones, It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia, Lie to Me, Lost Girl, Party Down, Modern Family, Shameless, Sons of Anarchy, Terriers (which was one of the absolute best shows to come out in recent memory), The Wire, and Wilfred are just a short list of shows that deserve some amount of praise for different reasons.

If you don't like television because you enjoy the format of movies more then say that. Don't say that you hate television because there isn't anything good on.

Del Murder
06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Castle and Lie to Me? Really? Aren't they just slight twists on the typical procedural cop show?

Bunny
06-12-2012, 09:33 PM
So? Good writing and good acting make television shows good. Everything is a typical [fill in the blank] show or movie with slight twists or changes, doesn't mean they are automatically bad.

Del Murder
06-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah, but some blanks are filled more often than others. I'm more likely to watch something that has a bit more fresh concept than your typical 'crime of the week' show. So I was surprised to see them among the list of some other standout shows. But if the writing and acting is good any concept can work, as you say.

On the other hand, a unique concept of a show with bad writing and acting can be quite awful! Like a certain zombie apoaclypse show. :tongue:

Raistlin
06-12-2012, 10:13 PM
There are good movies and good TV shows, but TV is the far superior medium, just in the depth that writers can delve into. There is no movie equivalent to amazing stories like the Sopranos, the Wire, etc. Just fantastic, complex, amazingly written story lines. Dexter is also great, though the last season was admittedly disappointing. Breaking Bad is good, but I don't drink the hype koolaid for it, a least not all of it; I thought the writing and pacing were at times pretty awful in the first season, but it gradually got better as the second season progressed. Seasons 3 and 4 were pretty great.

Not all TV lives up to that potential (most, of course, don't), and I understand people having little patience for overly episodic, simplistic shows that try too hard to have broad appeal. Castle, taking Bunny's example, is entertaining because of Nathan Fillion and some amusing co-stars, but otherwise is a fairly generic cop-show setup that strung out the love interest plot point to occasionally absurd lengths. I will still watch more of it, but I can understand if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

But anyone who says all TV is shit or that there has been no recent good TV is just clueless and obviously hasn't watched much. There may not be much more good TV shows than good movies per year (though it's hardly fair to measure them 1:1, as one TV show can provide dozens of hours of entertainment), but there is more great TV out there.

Castle and Lie to Me? Really? Aren't they just slight twists on the typical procedural cop show?

Lie to Me is better than Castle, I think. It still is rather episodic, but involves a lot more interesting twists. Pseudo-science, definitely, but great fiction.

escobert
06-12-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm not a big movie person, I feel everything is a bit rushed in a movie. I like development and time to get to know the characters and like them or dislike them. I'm all for TV series. Although a good movie trilogy can make me happy too!

AnnaParker
06-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Hello Everyone,

I like to watch movies rather than TV Shows..
I think Movies are more entertaining than TV Shows.....

What do you like to watch TV Shows OR Movies???

I also like to watch movies. My favorite movie is RIO. I just want to know whats your favorite movie????

watch movies online (http://www.themoviesdatabase.com/) for free or download movies online (http://www.livewatchmovies.com/)

Del Murder
06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
They're talking to each other now!

Jinx
06-13-2012, 03:44 PM
I was about to say the same thing!

It has begun.

Shiny
06-14-2012, 05:32 AM
Breaking Bad, Luther, Arrested Development, Castle, Community, Californication, Boardwalk Empire, Bored to Death, Homeland, Game of Thrones, It's Always Sunny in Philedelphia, Lie to Me, Lost Girl, Party Down, Modern Family, Shameless, Sons of Anarchy, Terriers (which was one of the absolute best shows to come out in recent memory), The Wire, and Wilfred are just a short list of shows that deserve some amount of praise for different reasons.

I watched all of Seasons 1 and 2 of Shameless (American version) but it's gratuitous garbage. The only reason I find it redeeming is because it's about people less off than I am. Schadenfreude. Also the one-liners in the show are great.

Always Sunny in Philadelphia...it's okay. I wouldn't say horrible, but I can only tolerate about two minutes of Charlie Day's voice before I want to turn the channel.

Wilfred was a weird smurfed up disappointing ending to an otherwise interesting show. Left a bad taste in my mouth sort to speak.

Out of the things you listed, I think I will just stick to Breaking Bad, The Wire, and Game of Thrones. :p

The beginning of Community, they were still trying to figure out what kind of show it was. It's not until halfway through the first season that it goes from mediocre to fantastic. The paintball episode in particular was amazballs.

Nobody thinks True Blood is a good show. Nobody. You watch it for the beautiful people running around naked having sex with each other.

Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad could be my only saving grace.
Way to ignore the rest of my awesome show suggestions. :(

Watch Mad Men if you want something artful and beautiful. It's very Joe Wright/Atonement-esque. It also has some of the most subtle and intriguing acting I've ever seen on television.

Or you could go back a few years and watch The West Wing, which I think is one of the best shows to ever exist.
Mad Men, maybe. I've never much been in to period stuff from this era and the fact that it's about people who work at a ad agency (for cigarettes?) makes it all the less appealing, but Jon Hamm is such a classy mo fo that I can't say no.

SFactor123
07-24-2012, 09:06 AM
I watch both, TV Shows and Movies. I think both have their own pluses and minuses. TV shows are something that must be good no matter how many episodes we have watched, but we always stay aware of the fact that this show is good and we are ultimately gonna enjoy every episode of it, but there will always be same characters, same plot line and same taste, I mean their are many highs and falls in TV Shows but it still provides same taste.However, Movies on the other hands are short of about only one and half hour and they can provide different taste with different star cast, but for that we can't be sure of weather the movie we are gonna watch would be good or not so god, unlike TV Shows, where we know that this show is great.