PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate I and II To Be Remade

Laddy
06-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Baldur's Gate (http://baldursgate.com/)

I knew of this for months, but please, please, please support this.

Fynn
06-08-2012, 04:20 PM
I knew about this too! And there was much rejoicing.

Bunny
06-08-2012, 08:30 PM
This needs to do well so they remake Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale. They all need to do well so they can make Baldur's Gate 3.

Fynn
06-08-2012, 08:55 PM
This needs to do well so they remake Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale. They all need to do well so they can make Baldur's Gate 3.

God, yes! :love:

Vyk
06-08-2012, 11:43 PM
They'd need to make friends with Bethesda so they could borrow Obsidian back. Not that BioWare couldn't do it on their own. But if those three companies became friends on that stuff it'd be stellar. Though I'm pretty sure BioWare and Obsidian are still on good terms. I kinda wish Bethesda had got BW instead of EA. That would be one GODLY RPG machine..

Iceglow
06-08-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm up for a remake of Bauldurs Gate, I'd be happy if they didn't go super high graphics so I'd have a chance of running it on either my current laptop or on my planned upgrade.

Sum1sGruj
06-09-2012, 01:15 AM
I'm up for a remake of Bauldurs Gate, I'd be happy if they didn't go super high graphics so I'd have a chance of running it on either my current laptop or on my planned upgrade.

Super high graphics would be a bit odd to D&D for me. I've always been used to that old school feel. It'd to cool to have some ridiculous eye candy effects though. I'm a fan of the way spirits leave the undead when you smash them *can't remember if that was in BG*

Laddy
06-09-2012, 02:22 AM
I'm up for a remake of Bauldurs Gate, I'd be happy if they didn't go super high graphics so I'd have a chance of running it on either my current laptop or on my planned upgrade.It's merely an updated version of the same engine. While it looks better, it doesn't feature too radical of a departure from the previous games.

EDIT: I noticed a fellow in the background of the website. New party member?

Fynn
06-09-2012, 09:14 AM
They'd need to make friends with Bethesda so they could borrow Obsidian back. Not that BioWare couldn't do it on their own. But if those three companies became friends on that stuff it'd be stellar. Though I'm pretty sure BioWare and Obsidian are still on good terms. I kinda wish Bethesda had got BW instead of EA. That would be one GODLY RPG machine..

Actually, if they ever made a sequel, I would love them to stick with the Infinity Engine. Just with a high resolution, very detailed spritework, and maybe some awesome effects. But what are the odds of that happening. It's funny how in Japan, you can still make a completely 2D game and make it sell, while in the West, only casual games a la Angry Birds have a right to be 2D, and they're still frowned upon by "hardcore" gamers. What is so wrong with nice 2D? :cry:

Laddy
06-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Nothing. Baldur's Gate could go 3D, a la Dragon Age (which I was meh about), but it wouldn't be the same. BG's RTS elements are what made it so much fun and complex, and it wouldn't be the same without it.

That's why I'm glad the Infity Engine is in the remakes, but updated.

Bolivar
06-11-2012, 04:14 AM
Maybe I should hold off on getting the originals, then... although they are dirt cheap.

Vyk
06-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Lord only knows how long this is going to take them. And there are fan-made patches to increase the resolution of the originals so they're more playable on today's computers. And I just recently stumbled across a Dragon Age article where people were still being introduced to Baldur's Gate just to see why everyone was bitching so much about Dragon Age 2 being so different from its spiritual origin, and everyone acting like BG2 is the best thing ever. And they were still crazy impressed with how well the gameplay and story held up. So its probably still worth it. I've been thinking about re-acquiring them myself

Laddy
06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
I would argue that it the strengths of the series is that despite 14 years old, the games have held up remarkably.