PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes there was no excuse for the "Anyone's Line" thing.

MJN SEIFER
06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Final Fantasy VI allowed players to use any characters in their team barring a few missions. Rather than create seperate lines for the characters who could be there, they just used lines that could have easily been said by anyone. However sometimes you can tell that it is meant to be a particular character.

However, sometime it gets used when it shouldn't be. For example on the Phantom Train - It's always going to be Sabin and Cyan; the ghost and Shadow are optional, but most of the lines attributed to no one are more likely to be Sabin, and there's a set party here, so why is it still a random voice?

VeloZer0
06-09-2012, 06:48 PM
So as to desensitize you to it's repeated use in game?

Wolf Kanno
06-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Final Fantasy VI allowed players to use any characters in their team barring a few missions. Rather than create seperate lines for the characters who could be there, they just used lines that could have easily been said by anyone. However sometimes you can tell that it is meant to be a particular character.

However, sometime it gets used when it shouldn't be. For example on the Phantom Train - It's always going to be Sabin and Cyan; the ghost and Shadow are optional, but most of the lines attributed to no one are more likely to be Sabin, and there's a set party here, so why is it still a random voice?

You answered your own question, because the scenario has two characters that may or may not be in your party at this point, and usually the undefined spoken line is said by whoever is leading the party. Which is Sabin, if you don't bother changing the party formation. In this playthrough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z85_JMFPIPM), you get to watch Shadow do some of the "anyone lines" because the video maker put him as leader of the party.

In regards to the overall topic, you need to understand that FFVI was really pushing the technological limits of the SNES at the time, and with a 14 character cast, and limited resources on the cartridge, it just wasn't possible to make sure everyone got a specific line for every story sequence they were available in, especially when dealing with a game where it's very possible you won't find everyone again in the second half of the game.

chionos
06-09-2012, 08:49 PM
It's also possible that they may have anticipated being able to use more characters during that scenario, and not a set party (other than Cyan).

Sephex
06-11-2012, 07:28 PM
While I completely understand why they had "everyone lines" it sometimes made the game awkward. I think I mentioned what I am about to say on this forum a number of years ago, but whatever.

One time I had Shadow in the lead during the side quest to go get the Odin/Raiden Esper. All of a sudden Mr. Cold Shoulder Ninja starts to ramble in conversational tone about Magi War history. It just didn't fit.

Again, I know they were forced to do that with how they built the game.

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
^ I don't know, considering he lived in Thamasa, the only city besides the Empire that had an idea of what the War of the Magi was like, I don't see that being a terrible stretch for him to know that info. :D

Sephex
06-11-2012, 09:41 PM
^ I don't know, considering he lived in Thamasa, the only city besides the Empire that had an idea of what the War of the Magi was like, I don't see that being a terrible stretch for him to know that info. :D

....GOD DAMN IT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! :D

Wolf Kanno
06-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm just saying man, Shadow does have his moments like when he gives advice to Terra on the boat to Thamasa. It's not terribly out of character for the man. ;)

Sephex
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I just can't picture a Ninja being a historian! What, does he throw books instead of shurikens? Plot holes everywhere!

Roogle
06-12-2012, 10:44 PM
The abundance of generic lines in the second half of the game was one of the downfalls of the game for me, personally.

This would probably have been my favorite Final Fantasy if it maintained a consistent narrative like its predecessors Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy V.

Jiro
06-13-2012, 09:50 AM
I just can't picture a Ninja being a historian! What, does he throw books instead of shurikens? Plot holes everywhere!

He throws scrolls, obviously! They're like books, but older! MORE HISTORY LIKE

Jinx
06-13-2012, 04:06 PM

He throws scrolls, obviously! They're like books, but older! MORE HISTORY LIKE

Plus scrolls are shaped like nunchucks.

Greatermaximus
07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
It's not real time. I earn 1 gp(s) for this.

In real time your tounge can adjust for the situation at hand. Your mind might have to adjust somewhat to put reality into fiction and vice-versa.

Trumpet Thief
07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
I don't want to be a huge nitpicker, but to echo some of Roogle's sentiments, the whole 'anyone is saying this' thing in the World of Ruin section almost killed the game for me.

I understand that it is a video game, and that the amount of freedom offered in the World of Ruin was substantial, but I actually enjoyed the character interaction to death. The first half of the game was so, due to the mechanics and the setting and whatnot, amazingly fun, but banter between Terra and Locke, or Edgar and virtually everyone, passing on to Cyan and the rest of the crew, was just amazing. As well, the first half of the game really focused on showing different members of the crew interacting with each other. The 'pick your adventure' section where three teams split up was so effective for that very reason.

So it was pretty heartbreaking to have extremely non-personal lines showcased for the rest of the game. I understand that it would have been a pretty big feat to come up with custom lines for every single tiny event in the World of Ruin, but I would (and I might be crucified for saying this) gladly give up some of the freedoms in exchange for some more 'planned' interaction between the cast.

Wolf Kanno
07-09-2012, 08:02 PM
The thing is, it's not like the WoR was completely "anyone lines" mostly just the dialogue for recruiting some of the characters and the first dialogue for Kekfa. There is quite a bit of the actual banter since many of the characters can't be recruited without another member being in your party and there are some surprising personal lines for some characters if you bother to bring them. Terra surprisingly has like the second highest amount of dialogue in WoR cause she gets a few nice lines if you bring her to certain places.

Honestly, I like setting my party up to make sure that the character I want says the anything line. It doesn't take that much manipulation to get the results you wanted and most of the dialogue is enough to fit most characters.

Greatermaximus
07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
I don't want to be a huge nitpicker, but to echo some of Roogle's sentiments, the whole 'anyone is saying this' thing in the World of Ruin section almost killed the game for me.

I understand that it is a video game, and that the amount of freedom offered in the World of Ruin was substantial, but I actually enjoyed the character interaction to death. The first half of the game was so, due to the mechanics and the setting and whatnot, amazingly fun, but banter between Terra and Locke, or Edgar and virtually everyone, passing on to Cyan and the rest of the crew, was just amazing. As well, the first half of the game really focused on showing different members of the crew interacting with each other. The 'pick your adventure' section where three teams split up was so effective for that very reason.

So it was pretty heartbreaking to have extremely non-personal lines showcased for the rest of the game. I understand that it would have been a pretty big feat to come up with custom lines for every single tiny event in the World of Ruin, but I would (and I might be crucified for saying this) gladly give up some of the freedoms in exchange for some more 'planned' interaction between the cast.

I'm getting the impresssion I'm being ignored. True or not I read a thread where they got the dialouge to less than 20,000 words. If the engine was more powerful at the time they could have done more.

I know I'm ignored I tell people things they don't want to hear...so I type it instead.

It's our opinion after the fact that the game should have been this way, could have been this way, would have been this way. ;)

Trumpet Thief
07-09-2012, 09:13 PM

I'm getting the impresssion I'm being ignored. True or not I read a thread where they got the dialouge to less than 20,000 words. If the engine was more powerful at the time they could have done more.

I know I'm ignored I tell people things they don't want to hear...so I type it instead.

It's our opinion after the fact that the game should have been this way, could have been this way, would have been this way. ;)

I only skimmed over the thread actually, and I wasn't entirely sure what your argument was. I wasn't ignoring you, though.

And I agree that we can all nitpick after a game has been released, but I was just being honest with my impressions. Perhaps I should go back and check out the game again, since it has been a while.

But I am confused, to be honest. What is your argument/opinion, and is it somehow at odds with mine? Because I'm not very adamant on where I stand, so I don't see why I would try to ignore your point :p

Greatermaximus
07-10-2012, 06:51 AM
How much of a job is it of ours to correct another fictional work. It really has no end. I suppose it's difficult to top a story like FFVI. Making the character sound like who they are is difficult without generic dialouge.

But any good read/author should exemplify how a character feels through action based off emotion. I do agree with that. :)