PDA

View Full Version : Guilt Trips

Pike
06-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Do guilt trips plague anyone else really badly?

Like... does anyone else feel really bad about calling in sick to work? Or is it just me?

I'm pretty ill right now; I'm all weak and stuffed up and my ears and throat hurt. And I'm scheduled for a nine-hour work shift tomorrow.

Trying to talk myself into calling in sick isn't working very well because I feel super bad about it because I'm one of the few people in the store who is trained in my department and etc.

(Not to mention I have bad past experiences where jobs have straight up told me "No, you have to come in anyway" when I've been sick.)

:(

Sylvie
06-10-2012, 06:24 AM
I'm probably the opposite. I've gone to the extent of claiming that my girlfriend had a miscarriage in order to get off work. The reactions are hilarious because they don't want to be rude and ask anything about that kind of shit, so it's perfect.

Alpha2099
06-10-2012, 06:33 AM
I have guilt trips all the time. Some are legit, and others are probably just in my head, but they come up a lot.

TheAbominatrix
06-10-2012, 06:40 AM
I feel terrible when I call into work. I have to be seriously sick to call in, and then it screws up my whole week. Now I'm feeling glad that I don't have a "You have to come anyway" boss. That's rather awful.

Guilt trips in general I have worked really hard to cure myself of, unless I really screwed up and have earned said guilt.

Feel better soon, Pike. Tea and honey and sleep, because I am the only one who knows this valuable secret formula for feeling better.

chionos
06-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Nope, not at all, even though I've spent quite a lot of time as a manager and know how sh*tty it is to have to cover for weak/lazy employees. Part of it is, if I'm sick enough to call in I know I'm not going be very good at my job, which really isn't good for anyone. Outside of this calling-in-sick scenario, I try very hard to remedy any guilt I feel for things I do, whether through making it up to whomever I've wronged or by working myself through the guilt by making myself understand that guilt is a worthless emotion. Guilt doesn't help me, and it doesn't help anyone else.

Psychotic
06-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't feel guilty for it, but I'm a tough macho guy idiot who tries to drag himself into work when he's not well enough. Which kills me (metaphorically) so I have to miss the next couple of days instead. Yeah, I'm dumb.

Laddy
06-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Never. Serves people right for making me work.

Sephex
06-10-2012, 07:06 PM
I feel bad, but my work doesn't try to make me feel bad about calling in. I guess it all balances out. My boss even asks if I am feeling better or whatever.