PDA

View Full Version : Full size desktop

CimminyCricket
06-10-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm tired of how much work it is to put add an additional hard drive into my tower, so I want to buy a full size one instead. Do any of you have any experience moving an entire setup from one tower to another? What are some things I should look out for when buying a new tower? I want to find a tower with x6 3.5'' slots. What are some good brands to check out and what are some brands I should stay away from?

edczxcvbnm
06-21-2012, 03:37 AM
I have an Antec 900 two v3 or some crap...something pretty damn close to this --> Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129097)

I only have 1 drive but I mainly got mine for better cooling and I had a gift card to blow and it came out to be a perfect match (most online payment systems only accept 1 payment for...screw you visa gift card!). I got this last year to replace a cheapo case that I got on sale.

My needs were basically a case that is quiet and cool. The fans blow directly on the drive slots and they have filters which should keep your drives cool. Heck the bottom two fans have completely removable racks that you can stack 3 hard drives in and the side wall comes off easy so you can unhook what you need.

I would go to someplace like Tom's Hardware and get opinions there and possibly even some reviews for what you are looking for. There are places that do case reviews. My tower isn't even a full...they have a 1200 version or something that is even more over kill.

What type of case do you currently have?

Mirage
06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Well you should look for one with good airflow, and maybe ducts or something designed to keep cables tidied up. If you go with overpressure inside the case, you'll get less buildup of dust inside the case. This is usually achieved by having more air blown into the case than what's sucked out. The fans pushing air in should probably have dust filters on them, though. With overpressure, dust won't enter through all the small holes and creeks in the case.

CimminyCricket
06-21-2012, 04:19 PM
The computer itself is an (almost) stock PC from HP. I don't remember exactly which, but I think it's a Pavilion. I've already upgraded from a 750gb hdd to a 1.5tb hdd and I replaced my two 2gb sticks of RAM for two 4gb sticks. My main concern is buying a horrible case and regretting my decision.