PDA

View Full Version : What if: they had stayed in 2D?

Hollycat
06-15-2012, 06:25 PM
What would final fantasy be like now if they had stayed in 2 D graphics till now?
They would have had to stay story based for one. But would it have been better or worse? Would the series have died off?
Would you have played them?

Fynn
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
What would final fantasy be like now if they had stayed in 2 D graphics till now?
They would have had to stay story based for one. But would it have been better or worse? Would the series have died off?
Would you have played them?

I would. It's this format that I fell in love with :love: Though I enjoy the 3D ones very much as well. Considering the attitude towards 2D gaming, I think that without the switch, the games wouldn't have become so mainstream in the West.

Jinx
06-15-2012, 08:15 PM
I figure they would've kept the ATB system. I'm not sure the partial real time would've worked in 2D.

ShinGundam
06-15-2012, 08:51 PM
FF series will turn into a mobile or web browser series and only handful of Japanese people will play.

VeloZer0
06-15-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm still not convinced that SE's ability to make a great 2D game atm is any better than their ability to make a 3D game.

Roogle
06-15-2012, 10:17 PM
I tend to judge games on their own merits rather than the graphical style. If 2D games are easier to design, then there might be a higher chance of seeing something unique or well-done. I would rather have had three 2D games in place of Final Fantasy XIII if it was easier to create.

Sephex
06-16-2012, 03:22 AM
I am now imagining a 2D style FF that is kind of like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I like this mental image. So yeah, if it evolved into something like that, just more crisper as time went on, I would be down with all 2D FF games.

Flying Arrow
06-16-2012, 02:16 PM
But then we'd miss out on all the sweet backgrounds from the PS1 games.

VeloZer0
06-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Actually I think we would have the pre-renders from the PS1 generation, but with sprites on top instead of models.

Fynn
06-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Actually I think we would have the pre-renders from the PS1 generation, but with sprites on top instead of models.

Like in SaGa Frontier?

Tranquil
06-17-2012, 11:10 PM
I want to see a 2D version of FF7 more than I want to see a remake.

ShinGundam
06-18-2012, 12:05 AM
I want to see a 2D version of FF7 more than I want to see a remake.
Why 2D version?

Laddy
06-18-2012, 08:29 AM
It'd be nice, as the quality in the 2D games had an overall more consistent element of quality.

Del Murder
06-18-2012, 07:39 PM
They should make a FF that switches between 2D and 3D mode. I'm playing KH re:Coded right now and it's pretty cool when it takes you to the side scrolling 2D areas. A nice change of pace.

ShinGundam
06-18-2012, 07:50 PM
It'd be nice, as the quality in the 2D games had an overall more consistent element of quality.
Artstyle can be very inconsistent especially in 2D remakes not mention repeated backgrounds and more cartoony enemies than ever will be problem here considering a lot of FF fans want to think that FF worlds are more darker worlds than your average RPG.

Jessweeee♪
06-18-2012, 10:58 PM
It's not so much that I have a problem with 2D, I just like the detail that comes with 3D. I love plenty of games that are 2D and dislike plenty that are 3D, but overall I tend to prefer 3D. People bitch and moan about how so many games seemed focused on graphics, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look at this tech demo:

G0KTUysrwgQ

Check out those microexpressions and tell me that's not amazing :p

Wolf Kanno
06-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Well, for one thing, FF would not have ridden the wave of popularity that 3D gaming brought in the late 90s, meaning the series and perhaps even JRPGs themselves would have stayed a niche genre. Square would not have become super popular, and several side projects probably would have never left Japan like Xenogears or Dew Prism. The Spirits Within would not have been financed and thus Sakaguchi would most likely still be in charge of the franchise. We may not have ever seen the MMO entries as well. KH would probably not exist.

To tell the truth, I can't really fathom the franchise not going to 3D eventually. Unlike Dragon Quest, FF has always been a bit more flexible with its fanbase about changes.

Fynn
06-19-2012, 08:44 AM
It's not so much that I have a problem with 2D, I just like the detail that comes with 3D. I love plenty of games that are 2D and dislike plenty that are 3D, but overall I tend to prefer 3D. People bitch and moan about how so many games seemed focused on graphics, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Look at this tech demo:

G0KTUysrwgQ

Check out those microexpressions and tell me that's not amazing :p

Too bad hardly anybody can pull of something like this in games and what we get is Uncanny Valley (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UncannyValley).