PDA

View Full Version : What should I get my friend for her Birthday / If you were about to turn 26...

KentaRawr!
06-16-2012, 12:11 AM
So, I have this friend, and she's about to turn 26. I've known her for about two years now, and she's kind of an awesome person. She taught herself English, which is pretty epic! Or at least I think so. But anyway, we've been pen-pals for a while, but we haven't really talked much lately, and I'd hate to just ask "Hey what do you want for your birthday." I remember she said she likes shoes, and she'd buy more if she had more money, but I'd hate to ask "Oh hey what size shoe do you wear?" because that could come off as really creepy and/or it would give it away that I'm shopping around for her birthday. Blurmp. I already have a few ideas, but you guys are smarter than me, and I figured I could get more ideas by making this thread!

If you were about to turn 26 and you had a friend with a limited budget, what would you want most for your birthday from that person? :P Your responses will give me good ideas!

Agent Proto
06-16-2012, 12:23 AM
I dunno. I think a card would just do, and maybe slip in enough money for her to pay for a pair of shoes.

Sephex
06-16-2012, 12:27 AM
If you are dead set on giving her shoes, just give her a gift card for a shoe place. I know giving a plastic card can seem kind of lame for someone you care about on a deeper level, but that's why you throw in a card like Proto suggested, and gift her something else that she would like.

Women also love it when you pick something that's symbolic of your friendship/relationship. At least in my experience.

TheAbominatrix
06-16-2012, 12:28 AM
As a person who is usually on a fairly small budget, I feel the idea behind the gift counts more than the gift itself.

Since she likes shoes, maybe go buy some ridiculous shoe art? Like a shoe keychain or maybe even a pair of Barbie shoes? It shows that you pay attention and remember her interests like a good friend, doesn't put you out a ton of cash and I know I'd really like something silly like that.

If you have any thrift stores near you go wander through one and see if anything else catches your eye, and maybe just send something weird. That's what I do for Shlup.

KentaRawr!
06-16-2012, 01:19 AM
I dunno. I think a card would just do, and maybe slip in enough money for her to pay for a pair of shoes.

You're probably right, I could find a card. But I feel like it should be something more thoughtful than that, you know? I mean, I sewed a White Mage Doll for one of my friend's birthdays. I'd feel like a jerk if I didn't make/get something that required just as much effort this time around.

If you are dead set on giving her shoes, just give her a gift card for a shoe place. I know giving a plastic card can seem kind of lame for someone you care about on a deeper level, but that's why you throw in a card like Proto suggested, and gift her something else that she would like.

Women also love it when you pick something that's symbolic of your friendship/relationship. At least in my experience.

I would get a gift card, but I don't know if I could get gift cards for any shoe places where she lives, or if she even lives near one. She's in France. Lollongdistance! :P

As a person who is usually on a fairly small budget, I feel the idea behind the gift counts more than the gift itself.

Since she likes shoes, maybe go buy some ridiculous shoe art? Like a shoe keychain or maybe even a pair of Barbie shoes? It shows that you pay attention and remember her interests like a good friend, doesn't put you out a ton of cash and I know I'd really like something silly like that.

If you have any thrift stores near you go wander through one and see if anything else catches your eye, and maybe just send something weird. That's what I do for Shlup.

She definitely likes shoes, but if I get something strictly shoe related, maybe it'll seem like I was being shallow? I'll definitely browse a thrift store though. That's a great idea. ^_^ Thanks!

TheAbominatrix
06-16-2012, 01:52 AM
She definitely likes shoes, but if I get something strictly shoe related, maybe it'll seem like I was being shallow? I'll definitely browse a thrift store though. That's a great idea. ^_^ Thanks!

Nah, with girls it says 'I pay attention!' But either way you go is good, really.

Oh, another idea I use for quick gifts is 99cent store grab bags. You can usually find some fake anime stationary and other assorted odd junk there. You can spend $5 and give 5 presents :D

Best of luck! May the thrift store deities watch over you from their soiled mattress in the sky <3

Parker
06-16-2012, 02:10 AM
If you haven't spoken to her in awhile just wish her a happy birthday. Just grabbing gifts for people you dont speak to often is strange. She might take it the wrong way.

Just wish her your God's-Honest Best-Wishes and be done with it.

OR

If you really need to get her something. Get her a titload of candy. everyone loves candy.

Sephex
06-16-2012, 02:26 AM
Another idea of time permits it: Make her something yourself. Can't really go into detail beyond that for obvious reasons. However, you seem to like the thrift store idea, so have at it, sir!

Agent Proto
06-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Also, I think we ought to know what you mean by pen pal. That seems to be an outdated term to use on a friend. Do you two communicate only by letters (snail mail/e-mail) or something?

Carl the Llama
06-16-2012, 03:43 AM

So to you friendship is a plastic card? Nice! xD

If she lives in france then ask some of your girl friends (or just plain girls) what sort of perfume they like, thats what I would do at least.

Sephex
06-16-2012, 03:45 AM

So to you friendship is a plastic card? Nice! xD

If she lives in france then ask some of your girl friends (or just plain girls) what sort of perfume they like, thats what I would do at least.

:( NO! I actually don't do that specifically. I was just throwing that idea out there! I care! I CARE, DAMN IT!

It's cool I know you are messing with me. ;)

DK
06-16-2012, 03:45 AM
A POSTER OF BIG ANDY

Carl the Llama
06-16-2012, 03:56 AM

Or am I! :D

Sephex
06-16-2012, 03:59 AM

How KaiserDragon is making me feel at the moment:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/crazycat.gif

Carl the Llama
06-16-2012, 04:37 AM

How KaiserDragon is making me feel at the moment:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/crazycat.gif

This makes me lol.

krissy
06-16-2012, 04:49 AM
a cast of your body parts
all of your body parts

KentaRawr!
06-16-2012, 05:19 AM
Also, I think we ought to know what you mean by pen pal. That seems to be an outdated term to use on a friend. Do you two communicate only by letters (snail mail/e-mail) or something?

I just mean an internet friend. Skype and FB and stuff. Sometimes she helps me with French. :p

Psychotic
06-16-2012, 10:39 AM
get her a moth

everyone likes moths.

Carl the Llama
06-16-2012, 08:24 PM
get her a moth

everyone likes moths.

I don't like moths.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/5/12/128866400201720243.jpg

Jinx
06-18-2012, 02:59 PM
get her a moth

everyone likes moths.

Yeah, Kentarou, there's a dead one in my bathroom you can come grab.

KentaRawr!
06-18-2012, 03:30 PM
get her a moth

everyone likes moths.

Yeah, Kentarou, there's a dead one in my bathroom you can come grab.

Ew :onoes:

Pike
06-19-2012, 08:50 PM
get her a moth

everyone likes moths.

But moths are the spawn of Satan himself!

Tigmafuzz
06-20-2012, 04:59 AM
get her a moth

everyone likes moths.

You sadden the lepidopterist in me :(

Sephex
06-20-2012, 05:04 AM
This thread reminded me of this:

http://lparchive.org/Resident-Evil-2-and-3/Update%2033/Image37.jpg

The moth room in Resident Evil 2 was kind of creepy. You don't have to set foot in there to complete the game, however.

Pike
06-20-2012, 05:27 AM
get her a moth

everyone likes moths.

Well you sadden the mottephobe in me!

Tigmafuzz
06-20-2012, 05:34 AM
get her a moth

everyone likes moths.

Well you sadden the mottephobe in me!
Moths can't even hurt you! That's like being afraid of tennis shoes! All they can do is buzz around next to your ears and nom on your clothes!

Interest > phobia :colbert:

Pike
06-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Yes well spiders can't hurt you either (most of them, anyway...) and yet look at all the people afraid of THEM!

Spiders > Moths :doublecolbert:

Psychotic
06-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Carrying on from Sephex's post, I like how Umbrella simply decided to save space and combine their computer server room with their giant moth room. If I was a secret underground lab designer, I would probably put the giant moth room down the other end of the lab, or at least combined it with the genetic monstrosity nest room, or women's bathroom. I mean, it must've made getting to the server for routine maintenance a real bitch. I do admire their efficiency though.

Agent Proto
06-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Yes well spiders can't hurt you either (most of them, anyway...) and yet look at all the people afraid of THEM!

Spiders > Moths :doublecolbert:

However, there are more poisonous spiders than there are poisonous moths. In fact, there's probably only ONE poisonous moth that I'm aware of... the Garden tiger moth.

So....

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/07182008/c/f/2/3/cf23c54faded00_full.gif

KentaRawr!
06-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Maybe I should get her Resident Evil 2. :p

Jinx
06-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Flowers. Bitches love flowers.

Sylvie
06-20-2012, 06:26 PM
A black leather strap-on harness and some whipped cream flavored vodka.