PDA

View Full Version : So who is your favorite GF?

Wolf Kanno
06-16-2012, 04:08 AM
I really loved the Guardian Force selection but which ones were your favorites? I'm partial to Alexander, Diablos, and Tonberry were my favorites. Though Cerberus and Doomtrain are certainly the most useful.

Sephex
06-16-2012, 04:41 AM
In terms of design, I thought Leviathan and the summon animation was very awesome and handled perfectly. I agree with you on Doomtrain being one of the most useful summons. I also like Odin's summon animation and how ridiculous Eden's summon animation length gets.

So favorite? The very first one I mentioned: Leviathan.

Jiro
06-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Diablos is awesome but effectively useless as a summon in battle. There was something rewarding about having Tonberry and Cactuar, some satisfaction at having two series mascots at your disposal (instead of as purely enemies). However I do have to agree that Doomtrain was by far the most useful, and probably the only one I actually used in battle last time I played through.

Rodney
06-16-2012, 08:12 PM
In terms of animation, the Brothers. In terms of battle effectiveness, Doomtrain, Eden, and Shiva.

Sylvie
06-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Diablos was my favorite overall. Anything that makes getting King Tonberry less tedious is wonderful in my book.

I also really like Leviathan, Ifrit, Shiva, and Quezacoatl.

Depression Moon
06-16-2012, 11:22 PM
I don't think I was ever able to get Doomtrain. I think it required a lot to get him. I have to say that Cerberus was the most useful for me. Triples for everyone!

Sylvie
06-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Doomtrain required getting the Solomon Ring, and using it after you've obtained:

Steep Pipes, x6

- Steal from Wendigo, right outside of Galbadia Garden.

Malboro Tentacle, x6

- Junction "Initiative" and "Mug" to a character and go hunting for Malboro.

Remedy+, x6

-Buy 60 Remedies and use Med LV UP to turn them into Remedy+.

Mirage
06-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Cerberus was probably the most useful for me, but I liked the appearances of Shiva and Diabolos the most. Never really used the damage-only GFs, and the only status effect i cared for was vit-0 which i could get without using doomtrain.

BG-57
06-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Diablos is my favorite GF and my second favorite Summon overall (next to Anima). He's just awesome. In terms of practical use my favorite is a maxed Cactaur since does tons of damage without boosting. Eden is too overpowered for most situations, a lot like KoTR.

Night Fury
09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I love all the summons in VIII as I think they have some beautiful animation.

Shiva in her VIII form is my favourite.
In terms of usefulness; as others have said Cerberus and Doomtrain.

I think my favourites in terms of their little sequence are Shiva, Bahamut and Cerberus. I also love Carbuncle as it's so cute.

Eden is super powerful but my GOD that animation goes on forever.

SeronStar
09-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Diablos is my favourite GF. Other GFs I like are Siren and Brothers.

Iceglow
09-13-2012, 06:12 PM
I love Diablos the design really works for me :) Diablos is a summon you could get inked on your skin with some pride left.

ReloadPsi
09-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Being able to disappear for a minute so that your opponent can be run over by a giant frowning locomotive is one of the best things I have ever had the pleasure of doing in any video game ever made. I'd like to see Sabin suplex THIS train!

Doomtrain motherf***er!

Shorty
09-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Shiva, hands down. One of the first GFs you receive and that always sentimentally stuck with me, so I always had to be using her for the main party.

ReloadPsi
09-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Shiva, hands down. One of the first GFs you receive and that always sentimentally stuck with me, so I always had to be using her for the main party.

I am also quite fond of Shiva. I just couldn't mention her in the same post as I made before for fear of taking some limelight away from the star of it :3

My solitary gripe with Shiva is how even though she's one of only two GFs with Str-J for most of disc 1 all her +X% abilities are defensive.

milliegoesbeep
09-14-2012, 10:48 AM
I actually loved Odin and Quetzalcotl.

I'm not sure why, really. I think I just like their visual appeal best :D

Jinx
09-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Everyone knows I hate FFVIII

But I really like the art of Siren and Shiva, cos they're pretty. Shallow, I know. And Carbuncle is cute, to echo other people!

Tsuris
10-14-2012, 06:17 AM
For looks quetzacotl, for utility, EDEN! Was there any other you could max (I button mash fast but still) or that did more damage?

Mirage
10-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Yeah, aura triangle triangle dpad right renzokuken+lionheart.

Formalhaut
10-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I've always had a special connection with the first two summons Shiva and Quetzalcoatl, much like how I've always had a connection with Choco/Mog from VII.

Doomtrain, while slightly long to obtain, is easily my favourite battle GF. I didn't really see much point in Cerberus. I never really used them much.

maybee
10-16-2012, 11:48 PM
I would say Carbuncle but I only summon him once every time during the Parade. Guess Doomtrain because it's so badass.

Heath
10-29-2012, 12:35 AM
I think Diablos is one of the most interesting GFs, though generally pretty useless in battle. I quite liked the Brothers initially, but the novelty quickly wore off. Most useful would probably be Cerberus, while personal favourites include Alexander, Quetzacotl, and Leviathan.

Futan
10-29-2012, 01:28 AM
I love Leviathan's animation the most. Which I use is simply whatever's the best though.

CimminyCricket
10-29-2012, 01:36 AM
I really liked Bahamut in this game. During my initial play through I was disappointed to find that there were multiple versions of him like in VII (which had been the first FF I had beaten). Dragons are pretty awesome. Alexander and Diablos tie for second for being the two coolest looking after Bahamut.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I have to agree with Shorty on being sentimental about the first few GFs you receive, however...

More so than having a specific favorite GF I have favorite pairings of party members and GFs. For example, I always put Ifrit on Zell because of their fiery attitudes, I always put Shiva with Squall because they're cold...etc etc. I remember on certain playthroughs junctioning GFs to people who's outfit was the closest color to theirs.

My favorite GF animation to watch is probably the brothers, which in text form looks something like *rock paper scissors sad face KABLAAM!!!!*

I'm also a big fan of Odin. Even though he comes in at random, I still wish there was a menu screen for him where you could learn some stats or get abilities from.

Braver
11-09-2012, 02:15 PM
I love Quetzocal or however he is spelt. I know, I never got past disc 1, but hey! HE TURNS MONSTERS INTO PLAYING CARDS! So you can say "Yeah, I beat you with this monster I fought! Hah!"
Cool. He also gets stuff for better weapons FROM those cards. Seriously. If that isn't cool, what is?

noshowmillk
11-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Diablos... its hilarious how you acquire him. :kakapo:

James_Cub
11-21-2012, 04:28 AM
I don't tend to use them that much, purely because it takes a while to summon them, and by the time you have magic at your disposal they sort of become obsolete. But in terms of design, I liked all of them. The Brothers and Carbuncle were very cute, Doomtrain and Diablos both kick a** and then you have the classics: Bahamut, Leviathan, Shiva and Ifrit. This was probably my favourite Bahamut design and Shiva and Ifrit were second only to X.

Flying Arrow
11-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Ifrit is completely fuckin' badass in this game.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-30-2012, 08:31 AM
I love Quetzocal or however he is spelt. I know, I never got past disc 1, but hey! HE TURNS MONSTERS INTO PLAYING CARDS! So you can say "Yeah, I beat you with this monster I fought! Hah!"
Cool. He also gets stuff for better weapons FROM those cards. Seriously. If that isn't cool, what is?

Yeah, I like having card mod. If I recall correctly, it lets you get some of Squall's highest tier weapons before you even leave the Balamb area.

Red Mage Coffman
11-30-2012, 05:22 PM
I hate this game.

But between Thomas the Doom Train and Satan himself, I'd say my favorite is... Siren. Or Doom Train.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
12-01-2012, 06:38 AM
I love Leviathan's animation the most. Which I use is simply whatever's the best though.

Now that I think about it, there's something to me that looks "edible" about when the water falls down the rock wall in Leviathan's animation. It almost looks like a solid, like a blue jello or something that I want to eat whenever I watch it. Same as the first seconds of when the animation starts before Leviathan solidifies, it looks like a wiggly jello stick I want to chomp down.

Final Fantasy VIII Summon: Leviathan - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECTfbgs_yKk)

Mercen-X
12-08-2012, 06:32 AM
Just like KotR in VII and Ark in IX, I'm more partial to the and hard summons, so I go with Eden.

Eaglegun
12-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Diablos, Leviathan, Ifrit, and Doomtrain (because the idea of summoning a train to plow through an enemy is hilarious to me). Really all the summons are handled pretty well. Brothers get special mention.

Mo-Nercy
12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Only FFX's Shiva is better than VIII's. I'll go with her.
Doomtrain's awesome too though. Quezacotl deserves a mention (if I've spelled it right). I mean... it's a big green lightning bird.

NinjaCoachZ
12-23-2012, 06:19 PM
For practical purposes, Doomtrain is very handy with a nice animation to go along with it, and Cerberus is also useful for particularly tough boss battles.

Otherwise, I love Shiva's design and summon animation, and Bahamut, Alexander, and Leviathan are always cool. The animations for Tonberry and Brothers are undeniably quite funny! I'm gonna echo the previous sentiments that Diablos is a badass design who's unfortunately close to useless in battle.

I guess if I had to pick one, it'd be Shiva.

Sephiroth
12-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Only FFX's Shiva is better than VIII's. I'll go with her.
Doomtrain's awesome too though. Quezacotl deserves a mention (if I've spelled it right). I mean... it's a big green lightning bird.

Que(t)zalcoatl/Quezacotl is no bird, it is a feathered snake. Quatls/Coatls are feathered snakes.

Bahamut and Doomtrain are my favourites here. Diabolos is also very cool, of course.

Pumpkin
12-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Shiva.

Tonberry Time
01-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Doomtrain, because he is a demon AND a train.

Skyblade
01-05-2013, 01:34 AM
I feel that for Doomtrain to be complete, we need to see Hades from FFVII serving as the train conductor.

FFVIII has the best Shiva the series has ever had.

I like most of the GFs. Not a huge fan of Eden though. It's just a big blob. Not really awesome enough to be a great GF.

PoolHandMan
01-05-2013, 04:30 AM
Diablos hands down.

I remember the first time I played the game and Cid gave me that lamp I was totally unaware that a battle would come and I barely defeated him, was really lucky.
Then when I first used it, I saw he casting this big badass dark ball and my controller vibrated like crazy and then i was like OMG that's so cool.

SkyRender
01-05-2013, 05:09 AM
Maybe I was always just superstitious, but I recall Diablos hitting the enemy frequently if he was the first spell casted in combat. I never had any luck with his summon if I tried to use it anytime after the opening round. He probably gets my vote for favorite GF as well. His animation was awesome and taught some of my favorite abilities (Mug, Encounter none and darkside!)

Aulayna
01-07-2013, 08:04 PM
True story: After seeing the discussions over Selphie, Quistis and Rinoa in other threads I came into this thread at first thinking "it's a who's your favourite girlfriend thread - this should be interesting" and then I realised it was about Guardian Forces. :redface:

SkyRender
01-07-2013, 10:52 PM
True story: After seeing the discussions over Selphie, Quistis and Rinoa in other threads I came into this thread at first thinking "it's a who's your favourite girlfriend thread - this should be interesting" and then I realised it was about Guardian Forces. :redface:

If that were the case, I would choose Rinoa!

Tonberry Time
01-07-2013, 11:00 PM

Why would you not choose Quistis? :kakapo:

SkyRender
01-07-2013, 11:48 PM

Well, I wouldn't say NO to Quistis. I've just always been a fan of Rinoa (probably had something to do with being a sucker for that love story [and Brunettes]).

Aulayna
01-08-2013, 12:09 AM

Exactly. Why wouldn't you?

black orb
01-10-2013, 06:23 AM
>>> Ifrit..:luca:

Laddy
01-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Doomtrain is the only correct choice. Seriously, people. Get some taste. :colbert:

Zeiferxx
05-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Definitely Bahamut.

Snakz92
05-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Eden. She's the friggin best.

gamewizzard16
08-18-2013, 11:10 PM
i would have to say tonberry and shiva and even u cant use this one Odin and gilgamesh they appear randomly are u completle sidequest those are my favorite gfs

LadyJuxtaposition
08-31-2013, 12:12 AM
I personally like Shiva; her design and animation in FFVIII appealed to me, even her Diamond Dust was breathtaking.

The Brothers and their Brotherly Love move always made me laugh. I'm not sure why but it does. It's just... Brotherly Love. :)

And that Carbuncle creature using its Ruby Light, so cute! :heart:

noxious.sunshine
09-01-2013, 03:04 AM
Gilgamesh & Odin & Bahamut or GTFO.

Rocket Edge
09-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Ifrit was probably mine. He was a boss. Although Cerberus was by far my most useful.

Synoptikal
09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Diablos and Leviathan were always my favourites. I just like their designs and attacks.

noxious.sunshine
09-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Diablos is cool. I always forget about him.

And Cerberus -is- very handy.

I don't have Doomtrain yet. Just 'cuz Malboros. Screw them.

Shorty
09-04-2013, 07:03 PM
I quite like Leviathan! I always forget about him. But I don't find him to be a particularly useful GF, so I don't use him often.

Johns53ton
09-05-2013, 07:19 AM
I also really like Leviathan, Ifrit, Shiva, and Quezacoatl.http://reouge.blogded.com/1.jpghttp://reouge.blogded.com/2.jpghttp://reouge.blogded.com/3.jpghttp://reouge.blogded.com/4.jpghttp://reouge.blogded.com/5.jpg

Sarisa
09-09-2013, 08:26 PM
I never got doomtrain so I can't comment on it.

My favorite would probably be Leviathan just for the recover ability you can get from him. It's great for healing party members and it made that boss that was hurt by healing a lot easier.

angelkelly
12-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Doom train is the most favourite. Not only because it takes so much effort to acquire him but also the effect He inflicts on enemy is powerful. With him, monsters Lv100 in Island closest to hell are just a bunch of rag dolls.

Ayen
12-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Shiva, Ifrit and Quetzalcoatl were always my favorites.

Loony BoB
12-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Cerberus ftw. :<3: Doomtrain is also all kinds of fun.

NeoCracker
12-10-2013, 02:02 PM
For all the hate I have for this game, Doomtrain was a fucking boss.

Psychotic
12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
WOO WOO! All aboard the Doomtrain!

Also Jumbo Cactuar is a pretty chillaxed kind of guy.

Niale
12-14-2013, 07:03 PM
My favorite Summoning monster is "Bahamut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQaZI6g4gAc)"
I use him most of the time when i beat the last boss, sheer willpower and goshing how fun it is :)