PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Games

Del Murder
06-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Anyone a fan of those old point-and-click adventure games? Especially the oldschool games where there was no pointing and clicking to be had and you instead had to type in what you want your character to do.

I loved these games when I was a kid, especially the Sierra games. King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, I'm sure I've played them all at some point (but not beaten them all since they were super hard).

I also became a fan of the Tex Murphy series later on. Pandora Directive especially was a great game. Probably my favorite game from that genre.

Not to mention all the LucasArts titles like Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, The Dig.

What were your favorites? Do you still play them?

I Took the Red Pill
06-17-2012, 07:15 PM
I started playing them at my local library with kids' titles such as Pajama Sam and Putt-Putt. I always enjoyed watching my uncle play Riven and Myst but I never got into them myself. Recently I've been into point-and-click a bit more, I'm pretty well into Beneath a Steel Sky which is a lot of fun but quite difficult at times. It can be pretty infuriating when you're stuck in an adventure game with NO idea what needs to be done to progress. I have one on my Android called The Lost City but I haven't put more than an hour into that really. Maybe I will now that you've brought it up again!

krissy
06-17-2012, 07:17 PM
the dig is amazin
swords and sworcery is great too

Del Murder
06-17-2012, 07:36 PM
I started playing them at my local library with kids' titles such as Pajama Sam and Putt-Putt. I always enjoyed watching my uncle play Riven and Myst but I never got into them myself.
Even though I loved these games, I also could never get into Myst. Seemed boring.

Sephex
06-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Funny this thread came up because I have been playing the old Space Quest games in my spare time lately. One night many years ago my cousin played through Space Quest III in its entirety while I was staying over there, and I have been a fan every since I was a child. I recently picked up the Space Quest Collection (had to download the original through an abandonware site since the collection only has the remake of the first one), and I played through the first III. The only Space Quest game I didn't like was the sixth one.

The Two Guys From Andromeda actually did a kickstarter to made a new game and succeeded! The King's Quest creator helped out too! Glad to see them get back together after their falling out years ago.

Kickstarter page:Two Guys SpaceVenture - by the creators of Space Quest by Two Guys From Andromeda — Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que)

Page announcing their success: The Two Guys from Andromeda have returned! | (http://guysfromandromeda.com/)

Pick of King's Quest creator rotting them on during donation drive: https://images.nonexiste.net/popular/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/The-creator-of-King-s-Quest-Roberta-Williams-recently-came-out-of-hiding-to-support-the-new-Kickstarter-by-the-creators-of-Space-Quest.jpeg

One last thing. I wrote an article on the Space Quest games about a year ago or so: A Look Back at the Space Quest Series | Primary Ignition (http://www.primaryignition.com/2010/11/18/a-look-back-at-the-space-quest-series/)

Del Murder
06-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Funny, I just played the original Space Quest the other day! I forgot how challenging some of the puzzles were.

Sephex
06-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Funny, I just played the original Space Quest the other day! I forgot how challenging some of the puzzles were.

Same here. Though, it was mostly how nitpicky some of the commands get. I was typing something that meant the same thing as the game wanted, but I didn't word it right.

I haven't played the Strong Bad adventure games (yet), but I hear they totally make fun of how picky the old Sierra games can get!

Speaking of, the Trogdor adventure game Homestar Runner made years ago, which was obviously major homage to the "Two Guys" type games, was also excellent.

Roto13
06-17-2012, 09:44 PM
I really liked Police Quest.

Levian
06-17-2012, 10:29 PM
The early Leisure Suit Larry games are probably the only text-controlled games I really got into. I do like some Point and Click games, though. Preferrably related to horror or some kind of mystery.

7th Guest, 11th Hour, Harvester, D, Ripper, Phantasmagoria, Gabriel Knight.

Been a long time since I played them, so I don't quite know if they're crap or actually good. Through nostalgia-tinted hindsight glasses, they're definitely cool games.

Otherwise I definitely love games such as Safecracker and the Agatha Christie games, even if the logic in some of them can be quite obscure.

blackmage_nuke
06-17-2012, 11:09 PM
I love the monkey island series, particularly 2 and 3. 1 was pretty good too, and 5 was great but had a few annyoing aspects which kept it from perfection.
Beneath a steel sky was fun, but I dont think I couldve done it without a walkthrough
Dark Seed was good fun but I hate time based adventure games, especially when there are dead ends they dont tell us about.
The back to the future game by telltale started off amazingly then dipped a bit in the middle and was pretty good in the end.
The Dig was great, but I wasnt a fan of the ending. The game always felt very foreboding and sinister and the end felt a bit too up beat.
Ben "yahtzee" Croshaw's 7days, 8days, 6days and Trilby's Notes series was amazing, particularly 8 days and trilby's notes. His other adventure games are ok too. And there are the hundreds of other ametuer games on AGS (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/) that I love, I might make a list of AGS games I liked later.

DMKA
06-17-2012, 11:17 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a0/Sanitarium_Coverart.jpg/225px-Sanitarium_Coverart.jpg

The best.

krissy
06-17-2012, 11:41 PM
oh frick the longest journey!!

http://www.longestjourney.com/assets/img/screenshots/normal/05.jpg

http://www.longestjourney.com/assets/img/screenshots/normal/11.jpg

KentaRawr!
06-18-2012, 12:41 AM
I've played games that are similar to Adventure games, like 999 and Phoenix Wright, But I've never played any of the classics. Although I did play some of the Chzo Mythos, which was neat.

Roto13
06-18-2012, 02:51 AM
I've played games that are similar to Adventure games, like 999 and Phoenix Wright, But I've never played any of the classics. Although I did play some of the Chzo Mythos, which was neat.

I wish I could forget 999 so I could play it for the first time again.

I'm glad the sequel is coming out here.

krissy
06-18-2012, 04:04 AM
999 is in my top 3 games for the ds
but that sequel took a stylistic turn i don't like
hopefully the story doesn't suck

edczxcvbnm
06-18-2012, 05:00 AM
While I like the genre fine, I am not fine with the way in which they design these games for the most part. I think the puzzles are way too abstract and what not. Half the time I can't believe I have to combine two items to do some thing when simply robbing a store and getting an items would solve the whole mess.

I am more a fan of TellTales more recent efforts like Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People or Back to the Future. I felt things were not out of control and insanely abstract.

Jiro
06-18-2012, 09:49 AM
I never really had any exposure to these kinds of games but they really are enjoyable and take a little bit of intelligence to solve. I know Timekeeper is in love with the point and click genre and in particular the Broken Sword series.

Roto13
06-18-2012, 05:01 PM
While I like the genre fine, I am not fine with the way in which they design these games for the most part. I think the puzzles are way too abstract and what not. Half the time I can't believe I have to combine two items to do some thing when simply robbing a store and getting an items would solve the whole mess.

I am more a fan of TellTales more recent efforts like Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People or Back to the Future. I felt things were not out of control and insanely abstract.

There are definitely a ton of adventure games where you just end up rubbing everything in your inventory against everything else in your inventory (or everything in the environment) until something completely unreasonable happens. That's just bad design.

darkchrono
07-01-2012, 10:51 PM
King's Quest was my very first game (actually King's Quest II) that I played that was anymore complicated to play than a game such as pacman. So the King's Quest series has always been a little special to me.

At the time the graphics of King's Quest seemed truly remarkable. The fact that they were able to make an image on the screen that you could control move around buildings and such seemed awesome.

The King's Quest series could be quite frustrating for young kids to figure out though (and even to a point teenagers and adults as well) because they pretty much just stuck you in a world and told you to figure things out on your own. It's funny because it seems these days adventure games seem to pretty much do everything for you (which I am sure sells more boxes then the King's Quest way of doing things did).

But then again the King's Quest series died off as soon as they included a built in walkthrough in the game (the difficulty level in KQ 7, and 8 was really toned down).

Rostum
07-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Adventure games are my favourite type of games, I wish the genre would make a come back outside of the indie arena. The Myst series is my favourite all-time game series, with Riven being the one I love the most. Though it's a toss-up between Riven and Grim Fandango as to which is number one for me.

There's also games like King's Quest series, Day of the Tentical, Longest Journey, Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time, Beneath a Steel Sky, Secret of Monkey Island series, Zork series (Grand Inquisitor is my favourite), Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis; to name a few off the top of my head.

darkchrono
07-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Adventure games are my favourite type of games, I wish the genre would make a come back outside of the indie arena. The Myst series is my favourite all-time game series, with Riven being the one I love the most. Though it's a toss-up between Riven and Grim Fandango as to which is number one for me.

There's also games like King's Quest series, Day of the Tentical, Longest Journey, Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time, Beneath a Steel Sky, Secret of Monkey Island series, Zork series (Grand Inquisitor is my favourite), Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis; to name a few off the top of my head.

Rostum do you prefer the old style of adventure games where they pretty much just stuck you in a place and told you good luck with everything. Or do you prefer the new style of adventure games where they help you out a bit more.

Of course I know there are always walkthroughs you can look at if you get stuck but many adventure games these days have a built in way of helping the player out where as the older games did not. In the older games you truly did have to go around and explore.

Shiny
07-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Fate of Atlantis and Day of the Tentacle are definitely my favorites, but I also like this gem (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/Games.aspx/Detail/430).

Dr. rydrum2112
07-03-2012, 05:04 AM
The dig (I think I mentioned this in another thread on here also mentioned on page 1).

Loom was good. Indian Jones and fate of atlantis as well as Last Crusade. Steam had a package with all 4 in one- def. got that one.

Anyone remember The 7th Guest?

Bubba
07-03-2012, 02:44 PM
in particular the Broken Sword series.

This series is my particular favourite though I do remember having a great time with Sam and Max Hit the Road.

This is probably the game that got me into them though...

Chris Barrie's voiceover was freakin' hilarious...

Mercen-X
07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I tried a PC point-and-click mystery/adventure callead PARADISE. At one point, you play as a panther, but the game froze, so I don't what happens next.

Del Murder
07-03-2012, 04:27 PM
I beat Space Quest II last night. :cool: I only needed help with two things: how to get through the swamp and the fact that you can go left once you get to the asteroid. Sometimes it is tough to see where the game allows you to go.

It's fun going through these games because you see the evolution of computer graphics.

Sephex
07-03-2012, 05:30 PM
I beat Space Quest II last night. :cool: I only needed help with two things: how to get through the swamp and the fact that you can go left once you get to the asteroid. Sometimes it is tough to see where the game allows you to go.

It's fun going through these games because you see the evolution of computer graphics.

This is especially the case from II to III and then III to IV. I still love the graphics from Space Quest I-III. To me, the series fits the scenery better that way.

Shiny
07-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Can I play The Longest Journey on Mac OS X?