PDA

View Full Version : The sober thread

KentaRawr!
06-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Have you ever been that guy? You know, that guy? The only sober person in the room? I know I have, and it's so awkward you don't even know. Everyone just looks so dumb, but you know that if you excuse yourself from the madness everyone will take it the wrong way. "He doesn't love us anymore!" "Let's go get him!" And the madness just escalates from there. :eep:

Any sober-guy stories you guys have to share?

Agent Proto
06-17-2012, 09:35 PM
I was once invited to join my brothers' friends to a bar and they needed a ride, so I had to stay sober because I was the driver. Don't want to end up drunk driving. :p I ended up driving 75 on a 50 at one point, and they were pretty impressed with that.

:bigsmile:

Sylvie
06-17-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm never going to come into this thread unless I'm itchin'.

Sephex
06-17-2012, 10:25 PM
I don't really have a story, but I have a friend that makes nervous as hell if he gets really drunk. The only way to counteract this is if I am also just as or more drunk than him. Our friends don't really like us when this happens.

Sylvie
06-17-2012, 10:28 PM
I can't be drunk around people I don't like anymore.

Sephex
06-17-2012, 10:31 PM
I can't be drunk around people I don't like anymore.

We all get along fine, but they people who drink little/don't drink don't like it. I don't blame them, but it rarely gets out of hand anymore because we are all getting old and lame.

Slothy
06-17-2012, 11:00 PM
No real stories that I remember, but I was definitely that sober guy until fourth year of University I believe when I started drinking. So 21 or 22 years old when the drinking age here is 19. I've been the designated driver more times than I can count and I grew to understand just how awesome it is to have one when I started drinking, because no one was as willing as I was to stay out all night sober and drive people home when it was all said and done, so once I started drinking I took a lot of cabs.

Actually, I do have one story. I was out at a bar with a few friends including my best friend. I think this was after I started drinking, but I just decided to stay sober that night anyway. Towards the end of the night, and after my best friend had had the majority of a couple of pitchers to himself my sister called needing a ride home from a friends. We left to go get her, but he ended up puking out the window part of the way there. Nothing like pulling over at 2-2:30am and waiting about half an hour for your best friend to pass out in the passenger seat so you can get going without him puking all over the side of the car again. Eventually we got him home and my sister and I went back to our house. It was my parents car though so I made sure to give it a good hosing off when I got home around 3:30. The things you do for friends.

Hollycat
06-17-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm always the sober guy because i can't drink. usually that just means I'm always the designated driver.
Also I'm only 18 so there is that.

Shlup
06-18-2012, 12:19 AM
I've been the only sober one many times. It's never been a problem. In fact, I'm always the hero because I can drive everyone to get food.

Tigmafuzz
06-18-2012, 02:41 AM
Also I'm only 18 so there is that.

What does that have to do with anything? I'm not even 20 and I'm pretty sure my liver's about to blow.

Hollycat
06-18-2012, 02:42 AM
in America you can't legally drink till 21.

legally being the key word.

KentaRawr!
06-18-2012, 02:55 AM
in America you can't legally drink till 21.

This is part of why I'm always the sober guy.

Tigmafuzz
06-18-2012, 03:28 AM

:shifty:

Agent Proto
06-18-2012, 03:35 AM
While it may be illegal to purchase alcohol for anyone under 21, it's perfectly okay to drink for a minor inside the privacy of their house with their parents present to supervise.

fire_of_avalon
06-18-2012, 03:41 AM
I have been the DD a few times. It's usually for chick friends and they're always cute when they drink because they are not me when they drink. I think my favorite time as DD was for my sister's 21st birthday party. She made our waiter all kinds of uncomfortable, insisting he sit down and allow her to hug him.

I gave him a really good tip.

Jiro
06-18-2012, 03:42 AM
I'm the deso a lot of the time because I live so far away and always need to drive home. I love my drink though, so if I don't have to go anywhere, booze on.

Raistlin
06-18-2012, 03:48 AM
While it may be illegal to purchase alcohol for anyone under 21, it's perfectly okay to drink for a minor inside the privacy of their house with their parents present to supervise.

This is actually not true in most/all states, though some individual cops may not care. There have been well-reported incidents in a number of states of cops busting down small house parties that involved some minors drinking alcohol. This is, of course, absolutely retarded, because the alternative is the kids going out and drinking in secret away from home, which is far more dangerous.

Not trying to derail the subject, but I don't want anyone to have this false sense of security about underage drinking at home.

fire_of_avalon
06-18-2012, 04:08 AM
That's right, kiddos. Big brother Raistypoo is lookin' out... for YOU.

Jiro
06-18-2012, 04:34 AM
I'm pretty sure that law is true in Australia, but then I'm not Austraistlin

Agent Proto
06-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Raistlin is correct. As long as the parents are responsible, ie not letting their kids drink more than they really should to get drunk, it should be fine.

Pike
06-18-2012, 05:43 AM
I was this guy for like 27 years. Mostly because I just straight up never left the house.

Jiro
06-18-2012, 08:00 AM
We needed a training montage to get your drinking skills up to scratch. Lightweight doesn't begin to explain it. I swear you could get drunk off cough syrup.

Laddy
06-18-2012, 08:07 AM
I don't drink, but I recently went on a boating trip for my dad's birthday in which everyone was very, very much drunk. It was hell.

Tigmafuzz
06-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I have never once been the sober guy. Mainly because I'm always the most drunk. Before other people even start drinking.

Jinx
06-18-2012, 02:11 PM
I have none of these stories.

BRING ME MORE BOXED WINE

Pike
06-18-2012, 02:11 PM
We needed a training montage to get your drinking skills up to scratch. Lightweight doesn't begin to explain it. I swear you could get drunk off cough syrup.

I don't even get drunk, I just fall asleep before I can finish. It's terrible.

Jinx
06-18-2012, 02:17 PM

I don't even get drunk, I just fall asleep before I can finish. It's terrible.

Start having one glass of wine a day, and someday you can be like me, Pike.

Christmas
06-19-2012, 09:16 AM
I am always sober!! My fleas keep me sober no matter how much I drink! :bigsmile:

fire_of_avalon
06-20-2012, 01:38 AM

I volunteer. :jess:

Pike
06-20-2012, 02:43 AM
foa when are you and I going to visit and get drunk somewhere?

This has to happen.

Sephex
06-20-2012, 03:48 AM
I would like to get drunk with a bunch of you.

Tigmafuzz
06-20-2012, 05:24 AM
I would like to get drunk with a bunch of you.

DIBS!

Iceglow
06-20-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm never the DESO because I don't drive. That's always a good plus in not driving. I have however gone out many times and sat there thinking "I ought to be pissed as fook" and turned out to be sober as hell instead. I did that on Saturday the alcohol just never really hit me.

Miss_Lulu
06-20-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm generally sober when my friends are drinking because I can't drive and well I don't want to end up drunk and stuck somewhere.
Because I can't drive, I'm never the DD, but occassionally I do get frustarted with my friends when they are all drunk.
Several times I've had friends who would go out with me and want to drink and then get mad at me because I didn't want to. I had one friend say to me once, 'I don't like drinking alone' and then somehow I ended up drinking with her, and eventually had to pull her off some guy she met at the club because she wanted to go home with him. Things like that don't make me like hanging with my friends when they are drunk.

Tigmafuzz
06-22-2012, 05:05 AM
I'm generally sober when my friends are drinking because I can't drive and well I don't want to end up drunk and stuck somewhere.
Because I can't drive, I'm never the DD, but occassionally I do get frustarted with my friends when they are all drunk.
Several times I've had friends who would go out with me and want to drink and then get mad at me because I didn't want to. I had one friend say to me once, 'I don't like drinking alone' and then somehow I ended up drinking with her, and eventually had to pull her off some guy she met at the club because she wanted to go home with him. Things like that don't make me like hanging with my friends when they are drunk.

Sounds to me like you need some new friends.