PDA

View Full Version : Stargazing

Pike
06-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Does anyone do this? I used to when I was younger. I got pretty good at recognizing various constellations. I haven't tried in a long time, though. Perhaps I should start trying my hand at it again :kakapo:

Miss Lady Shelly
06-19-2012, 06:01 AM
All the time. One of my favorite things to do especially when i cant sleep at night.

krissy
06-19-2012, 06:25 AM
all i need to do is look into award bot's eyes
they should have sent a poet

blackmage_nuke
06-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Yes and no. I was mildly obsessed with this (http://www.stellarium.org/) program for a month or so and I look up every now and then when I walk at night but as for looking at actual stars I dont do it often. Why bother craning my neck when I can gaze at the stars over thousands of years anywhere in the world on my screen!?

Freya
06-19-2012, 08:27 AM
yes. Oddly enough, I can see the stars better here in Oklahoma than I could in Wyoming. I believe it was because I was there was a bunch of light pollution from the coal mines.

I have google sky map on my phone. it helps when trying to spot those constellations. SPACE. I love it.

Christmas
06-19-2012, 09:21 AM
I went stargazing once and I realized I am more interested in the food besides me than the stars. :(

Sephex
06-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Back in March I carefully looked at the stars for the first time in years while hanging out with my girlfriend and parents on their back porch. It was fun and interesting relearning where all the planets and constellations were. Plus, at that time both Jupiter and Venus were near each other being very bright in the night sky.

Mirage
06-19-2012, 12:20 PM
I've tried, but the light pollution from my town is too bad, and it takes forever to get out to somewhere it's good.

Chris
06-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I do it whenever I get the chance.

Slothy
06-19-2012, 02:23 PM
I've tried, but the light pollution from my town is too bad, and it takes forever to get out to somewhere it's good.

This pretty much. I see so little when I look up at night it's just not really worth it. Sure I can make out some of the major constellations, but I'm well aware of how much I'm not seeing.

Clear nights at my grandparents were always nice when they still lied in the country though. You could wander off into a field behind some trees where there was almost no light and that was when the sky would really light up. It's funny because once in high school I was looking up while at my grandparents and realized that I had forgotten how many stars there are in the sky.

Pike
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Guess I'm lucky here in Montana; you can see the stars most every night where I am. It's very dangerous to drive with me at night because I'll get distracted just by glancing out the window at the sky and trying to pick out constellations. xD

Laddy
06-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I saw the Enterprise once. It was neat.

Jinx
06-19-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm visiting Kaycee in 27 DAYS OMGWTF and we've already planned to go out and look at stars.

Shlup
06-20-2012, 12:50 AM
When I was a kid I was infatuated with Cassiopeia, but I haven't looked up in a very long time. You can't see many stars where I live. I keep forgetting to look at all these astronomical events lately. :/

fire_of_avalon
06-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Another thing that's awesome about where I live is there's very little light pollution so unless it's an overcast night there's always stars. The best time for stargazing is winter, when it feels like you can see everything there ever was or will be. I'm pretty good at recognizing planets and galaxies, pretty bad at recognizing constellations. I can always find Polaris, thought, and with that the Big Dipper.

Sephex
06-20-2012, 03:54 AM
Guess I'm lucky here in Montana; you can see the stars most every night where I am. It's very dangerous to drive with me at night because I'll get distracted just by glancing out the window at the sky and trying to pick out constellations. xD

Another thing that's awesome about where I live is there's very little light pollution so unless it's an overcast night there's always stars. The best time for stargazing is winter, when it feels like you can see everything there ever was or will be. I'm pretty good at recognizing planets and galaxies, pretty bad at recognizing constellations. I can always find Polaris, thought, and with that the Big Dipper.

Jealous of both of you. I didn't note it in my original post in this thread, but I also live in a light polluted area (southern Chicago suburbs). While I can see a good amount of stars, I have been all over the country and have seen what you guys can experience every clear night. I wish I could to, especially since I am interested in astrology these days.

Tigmafuzz
06-20-2012, 05:27 AM
I have an interest in astrophysics, so I stargaze quite a bit. Although it's usually a bit more than gazing.
Sometimes knowledge takes the "fun" aspect out of it, but knowing exactly what you're looking at most of the time can create even more of a sense of wonder.

Jiro
06-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Canadian: "And I think those stars there make up Orion's belt."
Texan: (interjecting) "Whatever. You guys can name 'em, but we own 'em."

True story.

Slothy
06-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Speaking of Orion's belt, that's the one thing I can always locate. It's right above Orion's ding-a-ling.

escobert
06-21-2012, 03:25 AM
I love looking at the stars!! It's one of my favorite things about living here, bright stars. :D

Kossage
06-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Light pollution is problematic over where I live too, but whenever electricity is out or if I bother driving to the beach or to our summer cottage, there'll be plenty of opportunities to see the stars in all their splendor.

I do enjoy stargazing; it's quite soothing. :)