PDA

View Full Version : G4's Top 100 Video Games of All Time

Alpha2099
06-19-2012, 07:20 AM
G4TV (http://www.g4tv.com/top-100/)

This might be one of the most poorly crafted game ranking lists I've ever seen. And not just because Words With Friends is on the list. Only ONE FF game made their list, and it wasn't even Top 10. On top of that, numerous glaring omissions and dubious inclusions. Rather than list it all here, I want you guys to read the list for yourselves and discuss this. (Click the link at the top of the post)

Bunny
06-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Something coming out of G4 that is shitty and involves gaming?

THIS IS THE MOST SURPRISED I HAVE EVER BEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

Sephex
06-19-2012, 11:48 AM
The list makers were too busy dying their hair and talking about how xtreme they are or something.

Old Manus
06-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Came here expecting harsh criticism of an arbitrary list that was created with the specific intention to generate harsh criticism and therefore pageclicks, was not disappointed.

Only ONE FF game made their list, and it wasn't even Top 10.MOTHER OF GOD...

Roto13
06-19-2012, 01:54 PM
100 separate pages? Ha ha ha ha ha, no.

Jessweeee♪
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
The Final Fantasy fangirl in me is always weary of G4's gaming reviews xD

Hollycat
06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Got to BG2 and started throwing a fit.
Also, I agree with roto13

Edit: My god, wii sports above Me2 and BG2....
This is a joke list isn't it?
WTH at #3

Del Murder
06-19-2012, 02:55 PM
I watched this on TV and was pretty disappointed with many of the choices. It was very odd that no FF even made the Top 20 and that Asteroids (?) and Bioshock of all games were in the Top 5.

Alpha2099
06-19-2012, 03:44 PM
I still can't wrap my head around Words With Friends being on the list at all. Technically, that's not even a video game. It's a digitized version of Scrabble. That makes about as much sense as putting a pinball machine on the list.

Madame Adequate
06-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Considerably less, given that pinball is the direct progenitor of electromechanical games and, in turn, videogames themselves. There would actually be sense in putting, say, Contact or Humpty Dumpty in this list for that very reason.

I've not seen most of this list because holy shit their website is almost as slow as ours used to be before the server was fixed. I feel confident in feeling vaguely outraged by most of it and specifically outraged by some of it, along with one or two pleasant surprises.

Nice
06-19-2012, 09:25 PM
I don't have the energy to click that button 100 times. It started off wrong already. Pong.

Alpha2099
06-19-2012, 09:30 PM
I don't have the energy to click that button 100 times. It started off wrong already. Pong.
Pong has a special place in the mythical Video Game Hall of Fame, but it's not one of the 100 best ever. It gets credit for being one of the first commercially successful games, and its roots can be found in many games through time, so it gets its due, but I wouldn't put it Top 100.

Sephex
06-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Pong has a special place in the mythical Video Game Hall of Fame, but it's not one of the 100 best ever. It gets credit for being one of the first commercially successful games, and its roots can be found in many games through time, so it gets its due, but I wouldn't put it Top 100.

I hear you, man. I hate it when I look at these sorts of lists and you know they put a game in there just because it was a big one. It always comes off as the writer(s) only nodding towards said game as an unnecessary obligation. I'm not going to ever kid myself into thinking that I am going to ever like one of these lists, but it would be nice to see a list that doesn't do what I just described.

Roto13
06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
I can appreciate Pong having a spot on a list like this. It brought a lot of people a lot of enjoyment at the time.

Basically everything on a list like this has to be treated as a product of its time.

KentaRawr!
06-19-2012, 11:24 PM
The next game on the list is Words with Friends. At that point I lost my will to go on. This list stinks. :p

Alpha2099
06-19-2012, 11:56 PM
The next game on the list is Words with Friends. At that point I lost my will to go on. This list stinks. :p
Another fine G4 product. They should just stick to showing episodes of American Ninja Warrior.

Jinx
06-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Another fine G4 product. They should just stick to showing episodes of Japanese Ninja Warrior.

fix'd that for you

Hollycat
06-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Another fine G4 product. They should just stick to showing episodes of Japanese Ninja Warrior.

fix'd that for you
:up:

Alpha2099
06-20-2012, 12:14 AM
If it wasn't obvious before that I don't watch G4, it is now. Thanks.

KentaRawr!
06-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Both shows exist. The Japanese one is just better.

Hollycat
06-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Both shows exist. The Japanese one is just better.

Much better.
They have celebrities and comedians trying to do it as well as awesome athletes and it ends up being funnier than locking a whole bunch of catholic priests in a room with a little boy who is surrounded by bulletproof glass.

DarkBahamut
06-23-2012, 08:12 PM
I watched it on TV when they showed their top 100, and the top 10 was like half Zelda, then Bioshock, and Mario.

I Don't Need A Name
06-23-2012, 08:20 PM
I hate lists like this. Pac-man? Tetris? Asteroids? Sure, they're good gimes, but are the the best videogames of all time? No. Can you sit and play them for hours, days and weeks at a time and still gain enjoyment out of it? No. Just because they were revolutionary at the time, doesn't make them the best of all time. The Beatles helped revolutionise music, but it doesn't make them any good!

Bolivar
06-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Glad to see, unlike other lists, the top 20 only had like four games from the last ten years, but I'm still not sure if Bioshock, Uncharted 2, Portal, and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare deserve to be there.

Lastly, we need to kill Goldeneye's status as an exemplary star of quality. If you pick up Tetris for the NES, you can easily have a blast. If you pick up Goldeneye, it very much depends on who you're playing it with. The game was one of the first console FPS titles done well, but it would still be many years before the genre would be done right.

chionos
06-24-2012, 03:05 AM
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I disagree with at least 50% of the list, but "Best anything" lists are subjective, very nearly arbitrary, and should be taken as such. There are so many factors that go into deciding something like this that the only way we will ever be able to approach an objective truth is if Skynet tells us.
IMO Pong and Tetris would be on my list. Simple enjoyable games that led to other, more complex, games.
All I know though is that no top 100 games of all time list will ever be perfect until it has 5 SNES games in the top 5.

Alpha2099
06-24-2012, 03:08 AM
While it is true that "Best Anything" lists are arbitrary, it is still possible to get things wrong. Look no further than the fact that only one FF game made the list, and it wasn't even Top 20. How can they completely disregard FF4, FF6, or even FF10?

Positioning is arbitrary, I'll grant you that. But when talking about video games, certain ones have to be on every single list. G4 just threw a dart at a board and said, "Okay, we'll put that one in."

chionos
06-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Why? Says who?

I certainly think that there are certain games that should be on every list, but it's impossible to be entirely impartial. Personal sentiment (or anti-sentiment) factors in to these decisions. So it's silly to be judgmental about it.

What's the thread title again? "G4's Top 100..."
If G4 was trying to make the one list to end all lists, I might have a problem, but they just make a list for fun, for the hell of it. In any case, the point of these kinds of lists, in this kind of context, is simply to cover a lot of ground and usually has a lot more to do with how influential a game is (both to gamers and developers alike) than how "fun" it is.

Del Murder
06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
chionos, I think most of us understand that these lists are subjective. The point of them is not to create some ultimate list of top games, but to get other people to discuss the choices made. We critique these lists because it's fun to do so.

chionos
06-24-2012, 05:42 PM
chionos, I think most of us understand that these lists are subjective. The point of them is not to create some ultimate list of top games, but to get other people to discuss the choices made. We critique these lists because it's fun to do so.

"most of us" might be stretching it. I recognize that some people aren't ignorant of the context, but then other people act like G4 or whatever other group has made the list are stupid or evil. Maybe it's just a result of the internet's tendency to make everyone into masters of hyperbole.

In any case, it's fun to critique lists, yes. It's also fun to critique people.

Del Murder
06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
The difference is, lists don't have feelings.

I would say 'most of us at this forum' is not stretching it. We're mostly pretty smart here. Mostly. :D

chionos
06-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Oh, I didn't know I was hurting people's feelings, sorry.

Also, I wasn't claiming anyone was stupid for critiquing the list, just pointing out that it's silly to rag on G4 for making the list. I don't care for G4 either, but let the list be what it is.

EoFF does seem to have a good proportion of intelligent people. The dumb ones get banned or don't stick around. I've always thought this.

Del Murder
06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't think you hurt anyone's feelings. I was just making a point. :p

theundeadhero
06-25-2012, 03:33 AM
I like how every article for a game I decided to read had wrong information in it.

GhandiOwnsYou
06-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I hate lists like this. Pac-man? Tetris? Asteroids? Sure, they're good gimes, but are the the best videogames of all time? No. Can you sit and play them for hours, days and weeks at a time and still gain enjoyment out of it? No. Just because they were revolutionary at the time, doesn't make them the best of all time. The Beatles helped revolutionise music, but it doesn't make them any good!

First off, really? You're going to use the Beatles as your example of "revolutionary but not good"? Sorry, but I would have used something a little less... near universally revered... as my example for that.

I digress. I think the key to these lists is staying power. If you can't enjoy a game as much today as you could the first time you played it, it doesn't qualify as truly great. Pong, not so much. I think we've progressed past the paddle vs paddle play mechanic. Pac-Man as well, I can drop a quarter into it occasionally for nostalgia, but it's largely meh. Tetris on the other hand, is the ESSENCE of staying power. It's brilliant. You only need four buttons, it's playable on EVERYTHING, and it's still awesome. I can still sit down and get as much enjoyment out of Tetris and Asteroids as I could when I was a kid, I think that definitely qualifies them as some of the best of all time.

Shiny
06-29-2012, 06:39 AM
I only looked at the top 20: Gtfo with your WoW, Portal, Asteroids, and Starcrap.

Everything else I can live with though can't say I agree.

blackmage_nuke
07-03-2012, 05:11 PM
They missed out on a great inside joke by making tetris #5 instead of #4

Freya
07-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Blizzard had 3 in the top 20 and there wasn't a single FF? Puhlease.

Hollycat
07-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I can actually agree with portal being in the top 20. the game was nearly flawless.

Levian
07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Portal is awesome.

I actually looked through all 100 pages. Very varied list, it has games of a wide range of genres, I wouldn't say any of them were overrepresentated. Newer and older games representated quite equally as well, a bit biased towards older games. Some inclusions and placements seem a bit odd, but I wouldn't say it's a horrible list.

Alpha2099
07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Some inclusions and placements seem a bit odd, but I wouldn't say it's a horrible list.
"Horrible" may be a bit strong, but I feel like a little more effort could have been done to really make this better. As we've said several times here already, only one FF game made the list, and it wasn't even Top 20. And I still do not like Words With Friends being on that list at all.

What I would say to your statement, Levian, is that it's not totally about the inclusions that we're irked at, it's more the exclusions. Know what I mean?

Del Murder
07-04-2012, 02:26 AM
Words with friends is not even an original game.

Alpha2099
07-04-2012, 03:02 AM
Words with friends is not even an original game.
Exactly. It's Scrabble for your phone.

darkchrono
07-04-2012, 07:41 AM
I actually thought this list was pretty good. They put a lot of pre-playstation games in there (games that paved the way for the video game industry to become as big as it did).

I don't have any problem with ff7 being the only final fantasy game in there as it really was the only final fantasy game that brought in gamers from all kinds of different genres and introduced them to rpg's. Although all the other final fantasy games can be considered good from the rpg fan base none of them really had the wide mass appeal that final fantasy 7 had.

Shooters, sports games, multiplayer games, and games from the 80's are all more popular genres than rpg's are so it makes since that there would be more of those types of games on a best one hundred list.

Kaspian69
07-04-2012, 07:48 AM
100 separate pages? Ha ha ha ha ha, no.

My thoughts exactly. I saw how it was divided up and just left.