PDA

View Full Version : Who plays Pokemon!

Fynn
06-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I know I do :D I love me some Pokemon. And I'm really excited for the upcoming sequels to Black and White.

Who else here plays Pokemon? Do you play the DS games? (we can battle sometime, if you like :P)

Let's talk about Pokemon here. What do you like about the series, what do you hate about it?
I personally love the latest generation of games, since I love the designs of the Pokemon and how the creators really wanted to change things - the story here is very involving, surprisingly :D What I don't like is that we are still not getting our Pokemon MMO. I mean, the formula of the series would just lend itself so well to an MMO game. But alas...

Roto13
06-19-2012, 05:29 PM
I fully completed my Pokedex in Black, with the help of Emerald, Fire Red, Pearl, Heart Gold, and NeoGAF. Took forever. Totally worth it. Definitely looking forward to Black 2 and White 2 in September.

Apparently Pokemon Conquest is really good. I'll be picking that up soonish, too.

Sephex
06-19-2012, 05:31 PM
I play, but more casually. I never go out of my way to get all the Pokemon, but I get a sizable amount. They are simple, but fun games that I enjoy playing from time to time.

Hollycat
06-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Found my black and silver yesterday morning underneath the dog bowl. Turns out my dog prevented whoever took the bag of ds games from getting my pokemon. She probably thought they were wafers.
I am very casual on silver, on black however, I am the beast.

Quindiana Jones
06-19-2012, 05:42 PM
I've had to give it up due to my crushing regret at losing my perfect team in Platinum and Soul Silver. Nothing will ever compare so what's the point in living anymore? :(

Roto13
06-19-2012, 05:43 PM
I've had to give it up due to my crushing regret at losing my perfect team in Platinum and Soul Silver. Nothing will ever compare so what's the point in living anymore? :(

What happened?

Del Murder
06-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Every once and a while I get a Pokemon itch and play the latest installment. It's pretty addictive, even if each series is just the same game over and over.

I would like to see another version of Pokemon where the starters are different than the standard Fire/Grass/Water combo.

Fynn
06-19-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm more of a casual player myself - as in no IV/EV training, I don't have patience for that stuff. I love to play with others, though, even though I suck at WiFi matches :) But I like to do my best to complete the Pokedex, so I guess that's hardcore? :jess:

CimminyCricket
06-19-2012, 06:35 PM
I didn't like how the B/W Pokemon looked, so I didn't pick it up. I loved playing all the other version though. xD

Fynn
06-19-2012, 08:43 PM
I didn't like how the B/W Pokemon looked, so I didn't pick it up. I loved playing all the other version though. xD

You make Yamask cry :cry:

And yeah, I also think Pokemon Conquest looks awesome. Don't know if it ever gets released in Europe, though... :roll2

Roto13
06-19-2012, 09:15 PM

You make Yamask cry :cry:

And yeah, I also think Pokemon Conquest looks awesome. Don't know if it ever gets released in Europe, though... :roll2

Apparently not, which is weird, because even Australia's getting it.

Nice
06-19-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm not as serious a player as I used to be back in the day. Nowadays I play the new installments for about 6 months and call it that.

Pokemon is an addiction and once you're hooked, you will always be interested in the drug. That's how I am. I picked up Black on launch, played it nonstop, loved it, put it down and haven't played it since.

I was not a fan of the creatures in that game though. Some were ok, but the majority were, to me, lame. I mean a garbage Pokemon? Geez.

However, I have been itching to play Gold/Silver/Crystal lately. Those were the games that got be addicted back in 8th grade when they first came out. Good times.

I guess, even though I'm not playing the series right now, I will definitely pick up B2 and W2. It's just a habit I can't break.

Roto13
06-19-2012, 09:23 PM
However, I have been itching to play Gold/Silver/Crystal lately. Those were the games that got be addicted back in 8th grade when they first came out. Good times.

If you haven't already picked up HeartGold/SoulSilver, do it do it do it.

Jinx
06-19-2012, 10:57 PM
THERE WILL ONLY EVER BE 150 POKEMON IN MY HEART

YOU ARE ALL POKEMON HEATHENS

*bombs*

Del Murder
06-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Poor Mew :(

Jinx
06-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Okay, Mew can come too. And Wobbuffet.

BUT NONE OF THOSE OTHER POKEMANZ THAT DON'T EXIST

Hollycat
06-19-2012, 11:13 PM
ditto is just flattened mew.

Roto13
06-19-2012, 11:55 PM

Did you know most of the new Pokemon in Gold and Silver were designed for Red and Blue but cut out? :monster:

CimminyCricket
06-20-2012, 01:05 AM
I am enamored with the red/blue/yellow/gold/silver/crystal line. The others are pretty good, but those are my most favouritist.

Fynn
06-20-2012, 07:59 AM

Did you know most of the new Pokemon in Gold and Silver were designed for Red and Blue but cut out? :monster:

Also, possibly Munna.

Considering this line:

nik0tine
06-20-2012, 10:13 AM
I lost interest in the series after the second generation but I still play the remakes of those older games occasionally.

Fynn
06-20-2012, 07:22 PM
I mean a garbage Pokemon? Geez.

escobert
06-20-2012, 08:24 PM
The only Pokemon I ever really got into the was TCG. I still play against my ex once in awhile if we're stoned and bored.

Nice
06-23-2012, 03:08 AM
I mean a garbage Pokemon? Geez.

Oh yeah... I hate Muk too!

Yes Roto13 I have played the remakes of gold and silver.

Shattered Dreamer
06-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Last one I played was Fire Red & I loved it, my team of Pokemon were absolutely awesome! But alas if I want to play the new ones it has to be via emulator. DISCLAIMER: Emulators are bad/illegal blah blah blah

Roto13
06-28-2012, 12:55 AM
So I've heard Black 2 and White 2 will automatically ask you if you want to use another Repel when your current one wears off.

So yeah, that basically cements it as the best Pokemon game ever.

Wolf Kanno
06-28-2012, 01:03 AM
I played first Generation (Red/Blue) and have somehow been able to find excuses not to pick up any later installments (though I have recently picked up the original Silver edition) which is not to say I dislike Pokemon, I had a blast with the games but it's a franchise that would have killed my wallet and my sanity had I stayed devoted. I moved onto Shin Megami Tensei which is basically Pokemon without the cute factor but I still get the hankering for another playthrough because it was a good game.

Nice
07-01-2012, 05:22 PM
So I've heard Black 2 and White 2 will automatically ask you if you want to use another Repel when your current one wears off.

So yeah, that basically cements it as the best Pokemon game ever.

That is wicked. Speaking of repel, anyone remember playing the first four generations and running into zubat and geodude in every cave?

Shattered Dreamer
07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Damn you all! I started playing Emerald last night & despite not not recognizing most of the Pokemon I've encountered thus far I quite like the game :bigsmile:

Hollycat
07-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Damn you all! I started playing Emerald last night & despite not not recognizing most of the Pokemon I've encountered thus far I quite like the game :bigsmile:

Hint. Before you leave the first town with a gym (where your dad is) go back to the grassy area right before it and catch a ralts.

Shattered Dreamer
07-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Hint. Before you leave the first town with a gym (where your dad is) go back to the grassy area right before it and catch a ralts.

Already caught one, is it any good?

Skyblade
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM

Already caught one, is it any good?

No, Ralts sucks. But it evolves to Kirlia, and then to Gardevoir, and Gardevoir is frelling awesome.

Hollycat
07-03-2012, 02:07 PM
yep. only fully evolvable psychic pokemon in the game.

Shattered Dreamer
07-03-2012, 02:09 PM
A lot of what I've caught so far are pretty poor quality when compared to what you're able to catch early on in the First gen pokemon games

Scotty_ffgamer
07-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I just started playing Emerald too. I'm a little after my 5th gym battle. I'm actually finding I don't mind the newer generation of Pokemon as much as I did when I was younger. I used to pretty much think anything after the 2nd generation sucked. Crystal will always be my favorite version though (with Yellow close behind simply due to the Surfing Pikachu mini game that I grew addicted to as a kid).

Sylvie
07-03-2012, 06:03 PM
It's kind of disturbing how when we all first got Pokemon RBY for our Game Boys, Professor Oak's intro claims that Pokemon are pretty much an every day part of life and that like everyone has one.

We were all thinking, "what like dogs and cats and shit?" and our parents thought Pokemon was the most bizarre Japanese assraping that they couldn't prevent their children from being delivered, so they just shut up and let their kids do their "pokeman". and in some cultures, they were demons and a direct link between Japan and Hell.

Now, in today's real world, it seems that if you don't like pokemon, you're some kind of insensitive piece of tit with no taste. I believe this is something to keep our eyes on.

Skyblade
07-03-2012, 11:44 PM
The problem there, though, is that the is a lot of ground covered by the word "Pokemon". Are you talking about the games? Or the movies, TV shows, merchandise, spin offs, etcetera?

Most people, especially those with no personal involvement with Pokemon, group everything together, in which case it is easy to hate.

I've never hated the games, quite frankly, I think they are incredible. The gameplay system is incredibly easy to get into and has a solid progression of new features. Yet it also has an astounding depth that can be min/maxed for years, and a near perfect presentation that surrounds the progression.

I hate the anime with a passion. It completely ruins everything that was great about the battle system (HINT: Thundershock will NEVER kill Onix, not even with a level 100 frelling Pikachu. IT DOESN'T HURT GROUND TYPES), is poorly written, and features "villains" who don't even merit the title.

There is a lot about the Pokemon games to love, but there is a lot to hate about Pokemon in general as well.

Sylvie
07-03-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm talking about the entire franchise.

Shattered Dreamer
07-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Finished my 2nd gym battle in Emerald last night. The game seems to cheat when it's getting bitch slapped but I do enjoy a challenge! Ralts started out pretty crap but once it learned Confusion & Double team it became a force to be reckoned with. I almost beat all the 2nd gym leaders pokemon with it & he was 5 levels lower than the gym leaders strongest Pokemon. I'm not overly fond of my starter Pokemon (the grass type one). It has already reached it's next evolutionary stage but it's attacks lack the "bite" Ivysaur or Weepingbell had.

Skyblade
07-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, in terms of what it learns, Treecko is stuck with Absorb as its only real Grass attack until level 29, and then Leaf Blade is the only other one it gets without using TMs.

Personally, I found Treecko the worst of the three starters in this gen. Both Torchic and Mudkip get some serious utility, as well as a second typing once they evolve (Torchic becomes Fire/Fighting, and Mudkip becomes Water/Ground) that gives them an extra type coverage for STAB attacks, as well as some hugely useful resistances.

Shattered Dreamer
07-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Yeah Treecko kinda sucks! My only other pokemon that is half decent is the one that looks like a Swallow (I've been renaming all the ones I use so I've no idea a lot of them are called). I guess il just get used to the new Pokemon & find which ones work for me. That or every time I see a 1st gen Pokemon catch them instead :lol: A few of my favorites such as Golem & Raichu are in it. Sadly no Nidoking, they're awesome :(

Pike
07-05-2012, 05:21 AM
I'm playing Pokemon right now.

FireRed because that was the last generation I played so I actually know what I'm doing. (Emerald was the last Pokemon game I played. And I liked it. Screw the haters!)

Shattered Dreamer
07-05-2012, 10:51 AM

FireRed because that was the last generation I played so I actually know what I'm doing. (Emerald was the last Pokemon game I played. And I liked it. Screw the haters!)

I like Emerald I'm just not mad about that generation of Pokemon but then again I grew up watching the first gen cartoon

Skyblade
07-05-2012, 01:14 PM

I like Emerald I'm just not mad about that generation of Pokemon but then again I grew up watching the first gen cartoon

Honestly, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald is my least favorite generation, by far. I'm not entirely sure why, I just had issues with everything from the villains to the Pokemon to even the world setup. Something just felt off about it.

Shattered Dreamer
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM

Honestly, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald is my least favorite generation, by far. I'm not entirely sure why, I just had issues with everything from the villains to the Pokemon to even the world setup. Something just felt off about it.

Team Aqua really are a poor mans Team Rocket! Bring back Jesse, James & Meowth any day :lol: The absence of an actual rival is another problem. May & your character are just mates who have the odd Pokemon battle here & there whereas when you battled Gary you really wanted to kick him in his spikey douche face!

Pike
07-05-2012, 02:33 PM
2nd gen is and always will be my favorite gen of the three I played.

Let me tell you about my experience with 3rd, though. I had tried it when it first came out and disliked it pretty much immediately, so I assumed that all the people who said it was the worst gen were spot on the money, and never finished it.

Then several years later I picked it up again and whoa, it was super fun! It reminded me just how much I love Pokemon. So yeah, I like 3rd gen.

Jessweeee♪
07-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I think third gen was my favorite. But that damned berry glitch!

Sylvie
07-07-2012, 09:37 PM
First generation forever. Second was the only other one I enjoyed, which had some cool creatures, but 1G is where it's at.

krissy
07-08-2012, 07:18 PM
POKEMON DUBSTEP: 23- Let's go to Lavender Town (OUT NOW! ON BEATPORT!! AUGUST 2nd) by 23e on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free (http://soundcloud.com/23e/pokemon-dubstep-23-lets-go-to)

Shattered Dreamer
07-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Having serious trouble beating the 3rd gym leader mainly because he's a cheating sod & my Pokemon are crap! Well if not crap just useless vs Lightning types :/

qwertysaur
07-12-2012, 08:56 PM
erm...

Shattered Dreamer
07-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Having serious trouble beating the 3rd gym leader mainly because he's a cheating sod & my Pokemon are crap! Well if not crap just useless vs Lightning types :/

A 3 level increase in Grovyle (or however it's spelt) & the addition of Leaf Blade to his arsenal made light work of the 3rd gym leader. A bunch of my Pokemon evolved yesterday too :bigsmile:

qwertysaur
07-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Tip for those playing Emerald. Norman's (The fifth Gym leader) Linoone can't touch Sableye. :bigsmile:

*Laurelindo*
07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
I have some minor experience with the series, because I played Pokémon Leaf Green all the way up to some place where a kid wanted to lend you his bike or something - I think it was close to an excavation site.
I have also played the Japanese original versions of the very first games, because I am like that and want to enjoy the very beginning of everything.

It's also pretty funny to think that Bulbasaur seemed to be the Pokémon back in the day - usually Pikachu is the most prominent of them all, so it's fascinating to think back to the times when probably Bulbasaur had that status, being number 1 and everything.

Shattered Dreamer
07-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Tip for those playing Emerald. Norman's (The fifth Gym leader) Linoone can't touch Sableye. :bigsmile:

Good thing I caught one ;)

Shattered Dreamer
07-16-2012, 09:38 AM

In the end I didn't need the Sableeye to beat this guy. He beat me on the first 3 attempts by the skin of his teeth so I went off to train in the area with the Sandstorm. While I was leveling my Pokemon up my Machop learned Revenge & then evolved into Machoke. Machoke singlehandedly annihilated Norman's Pokemon even those most of them were a few levels higher than it.

Iceglow
07-16-2012, 09:56 AM
I play pokemon sometimes, lately I've been replaying Heart Gold. I'm currently on the way to the second gym with 19 entries in my pokedex and I'm busy training all my pokemon, even my non-party ones up to at least level 15.

Party consists of:

Totodile
Pidgeotto
Geodude
Butterfree
Bellsprout
Mareep

I also have a secondary team or a night team if you will where:
Hoothoot
Gastly
Spinarak
Onix
Sentret/Rattata
Togepi

All make appearances. This also means I should have some pokemon I can use for hunting new additions to the zoo of pokemon I will keep.

I also own Fire Red and somewhere if I can ever find it, Pokemon Diamond. I wouldn't mind getting some of the others, perhaps I'll emulate them if I can find a way of doing trades over an emulator to get the trade only optional pokemon (maybe someone did a patch which allows me to trade??? Anyone got any ideas?) I'd also be curious about getting a copy of Black or White. Depends, if I end up off sick I'm going to have a fair bit of time to myself Pokemon could be an answer there.

qwertysaur
07-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Geodude can and will destroy Bugsy. His main (only) threat is his Scyther, which has a 4x weakness to Rock. Just remember his main strategy is to open with Scyther, use U turn, and use his Kakuna and Metapod as meat shields.

Hollycat
07-25-2012, 10:58 PM
OENj7Z-afhY

Shattered Dreamer
07-26-2012, 12:47 AM
BACK OF THE HAND

Nice
07-29-2012, 11:37 PM
OENj7Z-afhY

Wow. o.O Awesome!

susonjoy
07-30-2012, 08:35 AM
I love to play mostly the Pokemon games, which are very interesting games, I really loved it. Pokemon games are very addictive and I like the Pokemon gold/silver/crystal mostly because they are pretty quite enjoyable games.

Sylvie
07-31-2012, 12:40 AM
I love to play mostly the Pokemon games, which are very interesting games, I really loved it. Pokemon games are very addictive and I like the Pokemon gold/silver/crystal mostly because they are pretty quite enjoyable games.
I am a big fan of pokemon games, which are good games, I am a big fan of it. Pokemon games are high quality and I'm a big fan of the Pokemon gold/silver/crystal mostly because they are good games and I'm a fan of pokemon games.

Hollycat
07-31-2012, 01:59 AM
Favorite pokemon: Pink Dragonair

Shauna
08-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Pokeymans!

I never played Pokemon when I was younger, and I have found that a lot of the Pokemon love I encounter seems to stem quite a bit from nostalgia. I have tried to get into it, but I just find it so dull. I feel like I am missing out a chunk of geekdom. :(

Shattered Dreamer
08-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm finally at the Elite 4 in Emerald but I don't really have enough strength in depth in my team, god damn it :lol: