PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger is awesome

Freya
06-22-2012, 05:07 AM
I have never played this game before. I just started like a day ago. Wth!? Why have none of you told me to play it before? I've played and own Chrono Cross just never had Chrono Trigger!

Discuss how awesome Chrono Trigger is and so help you, if you spoil the game for me I will hunt you down and leave fire ants in your bed as you sleep.

Wolf Kanno
06-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Chrono Trigger is actually my favorite Squaresoft RPG, and my favorite game of all time, I don't think I've played any game as much as I've played this one. You probably would have learned about it, if we still had a Chrono Forum *glares at staff* :stare:

Freya
06-22-2012, 06:27 AM
Haha, well when I was interested in playing it before I didn't know how I could play it without a SNES and I didn't have it for PS1 or DS. Now, I have access to things :shifty:

I just killed Magus so I don't know how far that is in the game but I just got myself the new Game of Thrones game and I haven't even touched it because i've been playing Chrono Trigger.

VeloZer0
06-22-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm amazed at how it has escaped your notice for so long. At least this may stimulate a series of new Chrono inspired threads.

KentaRawr!
06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
You played Chrono Cross before Chrono Trigger? What blasphemy is this?

Freya
06-22-2012, 03:58 PM
My mommy bought me chrono cross when I was little after she knew I liked those fantasy like RPGS. NOT MY FAULT I WAS A POOR CHILD WITH A NICE MOM.

Del Murder
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Chrono Trigger is one of the best games of all time. It also has a lot of replay value. I hope you are playing the DS version because there are a few extras at the end that are pretty cool.

Fynn
06-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I love both Cross and Trigger. Though it's hard for me to grasp how you can even begin to comprehend the story of CC without playing CT... Was it hard, Freya?

VeloZer0
06-22-2012, 06:09 PM
I actually think that CC would be better appreciated by someone who didn't play CT first. Sure there are a lot of throwbacks, but I think the direct connection is somewhat weak. Though I loved CC I can easily see how people who wanted a sequel to CT were disappointed.

Freya
06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I never finished CC :shifty: I always got bored.

Also I'm playing the SNES version. If I had a DS I'd play it BUT OMG THEY ANNOUCNED A NEW 3DS AND I NEED THAT ONE NOW.

Freya
06-23-2012, 04:13 AM
DOUBLE POST CAUSE I'M AWESOME AND IDGAF

Why did none of you tell me the PS1 and DS versions have cut scenes?! WTH I SHOULD HAVE DONE THOSE ONES.

VeloZer0
06-23-2012, 06:11 AM
I actually don't think they added that much to the game. Seing as there were just added in after on top they seem to be more imersion breaking to me than anything. Which is a shame because they are all animated nicely.

That and there is always YouTube.

Fynn
06-23-2012, 07:08 AM
DOUBLE POST CAUSE I'M AWESOME AND IDGAF

Why did none of you tell me the PS1 and DS versions have cut scenes?! WTH I SHOULD HAVE DONE THOSE ONES.

It's what you get for not pickinging up the far superior DS version.

Freya
06-23-2012, 07:39 AM
I DON'T HAS DS. Buy me a DS and i'll play it!

Sephex
06-23-2012, 01:58 PM
You don't need the cutscenes to enjoy the game. As you are discovering, the game itself stands tall among the greatest games. I always love to see people play Chrono Trigger for the first time.

It reminds me of how enthralled I was with this game back in the day. It was torture not owning it for the first few months that it was on shelves, having various parts of soundtrack stuck in my head constantly reminding me that no matter what, I needed to get a hold of the game. But I have to admit...I liked being teased. :love:

So yeah, Chrono Trigger is one of the best games of all time. Glad you are experiencing what many of us have ages ago, Freya!

KentaRawr!
06-23-2012, 02:00 PM
You're not missing much, just keep playing the SNES version and look up the cutscenes on youtube later. =)

ScottyRedXIII
06-23-2012, 04:26 PM
I've only just started playing it for the first time, hope It lives upto the hype!

ReloadPsi
06-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Occasionally you play a game or watch a film and come away from it thinking "why the hell did I not watch that sooner?"

Chrono Trigger had that effect on me so hard.

Sephex
06-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Occasionally you play a game or watch a film and come away from it thinking "why the hell did I not watch that sooner?"

Chrono Trigger had that effect on me so hard.

I played it the year it came out, but a few months after it hit shelves. I still felt that way.

Del Murder
06-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Chrono Trigger was the most expensive game I ever bought. I think it was like $70 when first released. That's a lot to a kid and even an adult!

Sephex
06-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Chrono Trigger was the most expensive game I ever bought. I think it was like $70 when first released. That's a lot to a kid and even an adult!

My mom bought it for me from Toys R' Us for $80. I got it as a graduation gift of sorts. I think I'll give her a hug next time I see her.

Del Murder
06-26-2012, 08:35 PM
You know, it may have been 80. I just know it was freaking expensive.

Sephex
06-26-2012, 10:57 PM
You know, it may have been 80. I just know it was freaking expensive.

After I hugged my mom out of nowhere and she asked why. I told her thanks for buying Chrono Trigger. She then said, "That's one of the old video games I got you that cost close to $100, right?"

So yeah, probably $80 when it was new!

Tigmafuzz
06-28-2012, 07:09 PM
After I hugged my mom out of nowhere and she asked why. I told her thanks for buying Chrono Trigger. She then said, "That's one of the old video games I got you that cost close to $100, right?"

That is adorable Sephex.

sabin101
06-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Chrono trigger is one of my all time favorite rpgs ever. My favorite part is when you go to the zeal kingdom. It was such a different kind of game that I still have not seen many people copy. Such a great game. I just actually beat the game the other day. Never played a game like chrono trigger. I don't think I ever will. I do remember it being really expensive when my mom bought it for me when it came out. I think it was 70 dollars. I do wish square would come out with another game in the chrono line up but I am not holding my breath.

blackmage_nuke
07-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Chrono Trigger is actually my favorite Squaresoft RPG, and my favorite game of all time, I don't think I've played any game as much as I've played this one. You probably would have learned about it, if we still had a Chrono Forum *glares at staff* :stare:

Im quite sure I only found out about Chrono Trigger when I noticed a forum deditcated to it on EoFF!

Jowy
07-15-2012, 10:59 PM
iOS version of CT also has cutscenes and bonus goodies. Best nine bucks you'll spend on an app.

cheesesteak
09-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Chrono Trigger is one of the best games of all time. It also has a lot of replay value. I hope you are playing the DS version because there are a few extras at the end that are pretty cool.
I was wondering about this. I'm getting SE nostalgia and was planning on playing my VC version of Chrono Trigger. But then I thought about buying the DS version.

I was wondering, aren't there actual story changes at the end? Or did i just misread what I tried to research? I assume it's probably worth the $20 to buy it, just for the map, graphics, cutscenes, other changes. But I think I read that there is also some new content at the end that actually affects the story (besides the 1 new ending)? Or no?

Skyblade
09-07-2013, 04:16 PM
I was wondering about this. I'm getting SE nostalgia and was planning on playing my VC version of Chrono Trigger. But then I thought about buying the DS version.

I was wondering, aren't there actual story changes at the end? Or did i just misread what I tried to research? I assume it's probably worth the $20 to buy it, just for the map, graphics, cutscenes, other changes. But I think I read that there is also some new content at the end that actually affects the story (besides the 1 new ending)? Or no?

Somewhat.

Actually, it works kind of like this. Each individual old ending is there, with the only changes being things like the translation getting cleaned up (which helps quite a bit in some sections). However, there are new endings and new dungeons which you can unlock in the game.

They only really serve as a tie to Chrono Cross (and I really don't think they work that well), but they're optional, give good rewards, and you can always choose to ignore them on replays.

Del Murder
09-07-2013, 04:22 PM
All the new content is supplemental and doesn't really change anything.

Mirage
09-07-2013, 05:57 PM
I have never played this game before. I just started like a day ago. Wth!? Why have none of you told me to play it before? I've played and own Chrono Cross just never had Chrono Trigger!

Discuss how awesome Chrono Trigger is and so help you, if you spoil the game for me I will hunt you down and leave fire ants in your bed as you sleep.

EVERYONE DIESif you suck at rpg combat

Maybe I haven't told you specifically to play it, but I'm pretty sure I've said on many occasions that everyone should play it. Not my fault you weren't there to hear/read it!

You're in for a real treat though. I almost wish I were you right now.

nik0tine
09-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Chrono Trigger is mathematically perfect.

cheesesteak
09-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Somewhat.

Actually, it works kind of like this. Each individual old ending is there, with the only changes being things like the translation getting cleaned up (which helps quite a bit in some sections). However, there are new endings and new dungeons which you can unlock in the game.

They only really serve as a tie to Chrono Cross (and I really don't think they work that well), but they're optional, give good rewards, and you can always choose to ignore them on replays.

All the new content is supplemental and doesn't really change anything.
great, ty. Guess I'll get the DS version and just play my VC version if...well, probably never! :|

supernaps
09-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Awesome game, awesome soundtrack.

crashNUMBERS
09-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Im at the final stage and I cant just seem to play it anymore. not that its lost ts spark, I just cant seem to rekindle it right now. it was so fun in the meantime but I just cant do it right now. I started playing FF1 again and told myself I wanted to start playing all the final fantasies in order. but I still gotta beat this and Legend of mana, not to mention both of those games have the New Game+ feature which Ive NEVER touched before in a game

Mirage
09-26-2013, 02:26 PM
If you prioritize legend of mana over chrono trigger, i will have you shot.

also, new game plus is the best feature of any game, i don't understand why so few games have them.

Freya
09-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Just an update. I never finished my emulated one. BUT I do have a 3DS now and i bought CT for it so I'm working through it again. I love me some frog :3

crashNUMBERS
09-27-2013, 01:51 AM

lmaooo whats wrong with LoM?

Skyblade
09-27-2013, 03:39 AM

It's not Chrono Trigger.

Mirage
09-30-2013, 09:16 AM

It's not Chrono Trigger.

If it was Seiken Densetsu 3 instead of LoM, perhaps it would have been fine.

crashNUMBERS
10-01-2013, 12:30 AM
listen, legend of mana is great. Im sure a let down from SD3, but its got a beautiful story and art

Skyblade
10-01-2013, 05:03 AM
listen, legend of mana is great. Im sure a let down from SD3, but its got a beautiful story and art

And? Chrono Trigger has a beautiful story, beautiful art, beautiful music, brilliant gameplay mechanics, great characters, phenomenal sidequests, and that's barely scratching the surface.

No one is saying Legend of Mana is bad. We're just saying that it's not as good as Chrono Trigger. Which is nothing to be ashamed of.

Tigmafuzz
10-01-2013, 07:14 AM
also, new game plus is the best feature of any game

Try playing New Game+8 on Rogue Legacy and tell me that again with a straight face.

Polnareff
10-02-2013, 12:56 PM

And? Chrono Trigger has a beautiful story, beautiful art, beautiful music, brilliant gameplay mechanics, great characters, phenomenal sidequests, and that's barely scratching the surface.

No one is saying Legend of Mana is bad. We're just saying that it's not as good as Chrono Trigger. Which is nothing to be ashamed of.

This overrating of Chrono Trigger is getting quite ridiculous, actually. It just tells me that people haven't played enough RPGs.

That said, I just started a new game on the DS version because it's a relatively easy and short game that I can beat in less than 2 days. :tongue:

Skyblade
10-02-2013, 04:35 PM

This overrating of Chrono Trigger is getting quite ridiculous, actually. It just tells me that people haven't played enough RPGs.

That said, I just started a new game on the DS version because it's a relatively easy and short game that I can beat in less than 2 days. :tongue:

I probably do overrate Chrono Trigger (I've never attempted to hide that I consider it the greatest game of all time), but I didn't in that post. All of those statements were true.

If you're beating it in less than two days, you're playing it wrong. In fact, if you beat any RPG in less than two days, you're playing it wrong. No wonder you're not enjoying it if you're just rushing through to the end. RPGs are about immersion, living in the world, exploring, roleplaying, talking to people, doing sidequests... Watching the world come to life.

Polnareff
10-03-2013, 02:43 AM
No....you can easily see everything you need to in the game in less than 25 hours. It doesn't take long to see everything at all, and that is one of my main reasons for not being a huge fan of it. You end up thinking it's some sprawling world due to the time travel, and you find out it's not. That and it's way too easy. Like Golden Sun: Dark Dawn easy. A lot of people overstate how good this game is. It's good, but is it worth agonizingly defending and praising it? I don't think so, to be honest. I'll draw the line at "awesome" but anything more than that is pushing it.

Mirage
10-03-2013, 11:18 AM
also, new game plus is the best feature of any game

Try playing New Game+8 on Rogue Legacy and tell me that again with a straight face.

New game plus feature is the best feature of any game. That you've done it 8 times in Rogue Legacy is your own problem :|

crashNUMBERS
10-27-2013, 12:16 AM
so I just beat chrono trigger and moved onto legend of mana

glad I finally just pushed myself into finishing it Dx

Elskidor
10-27-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm currently playing both, and Breath of Fire II, and Super Mario RPG and Earth Bound and Sword of Mana, lol. I forgot where most of the greatest RPGs were....on the SNES..best console ever. This is getting really confusing switching between them all though.

crashNUMBERS
11-19-2013, 01:49 AM
yea and by your damn signature it isnt going to get any better. stick to one at a time, take your time

Elskidor
11-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Using siggy because it's epic, not because I'm playing multiple games. I've beaten nearly all the games I started last month though.

Mirage
11-19-2013, 10:30 AM
There is one problem with it though. Some characters are used multiple times.

Niale
01-04-2014, 10:16 PM
A friend of mine like it too, i hope you'll have more fun with this game, good luck and find every secret :)

starlet
01-06-2014, 12:08 AM
CT is one of my favorites! I mean, I cosplay Lucca so.....:kakapo:

Ghosteses
01-06-2014, 12:52 AM
i heard final fantasy IV comes with chrono trigger on playstation. at first i wondered if i should try and get that game because i know i want FF iv but... since everyone seems to love CT maybe i should =D