PDA

View Full Version : Besties

Shiny
06-22-2012, 07:10 AM
Do you have them? How many?

Do you also have ride or die chicks/bros? (If you don't know with this is that's ok)

Sylvie
06-22-2012, 07:14 AM
I don't have any.

Freya
06-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Four. Five if you count my sister but she's also my crazy sister so sometimes I don't count her.

escobert
06-22-2012, 09:10 AM
My best friends are Jeff, Marshal, Brandon, Maki and John. All but John I've been best friends with for 10+ years. I've only known John for 2 or so years.

Rantz
06-22-2012, 09:15 AM
I don't have any friends because of my odour.

Loony BoB
06-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Sort of, yeah. Different kinds, if that makes sense... Danielle could be called my best friend but I don't usually count girlfriends as they are always number one anyways. Dan is my best friend over the past ten years despite the fact that we're hardly ever in the same place. In Edinburgh, I don't really consider any of my friends 'best friends'. I seem incapable of calling work friends anything but 'work friends' (even if we do hang out after work) and almost all my other mates in Edinburgh are friends of Danielle, bar a couple of people that I don't really keep up with anymore. Of the people I haven't met since moving to the UK, Nicky was my best friend in NZ and I still consider her one of my best friends along with Dan. Sarah, who I've never met, probably knows me better than anyone outside of Danielle. Sus, my cousin in NZ, is someone I can talk to about pretty much anything and we can talk for hours on end. So yeah... if I had to pick out names, in no order, it'd probably be Danielle, Dan, Nicky, Sarah and Sus - all for different reasons.

Psychotic
06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Ranking friends in order of how "best" they are seems kind of lame to me. A friend's a friend. Different friends for different stuff. Be excellent to each other, and all that.

Jiro
06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Gotta agree with Psychotic on this one. Just 'cause I don't frequently hang out with someone doesn't diminish their quality. It's all about being bros to each other.

Shiny
06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
^ Totes agree with that. I don't actually have any friends I call best friends, but I have two very good friends a.k.a. ride or die chicks whom I've known since middle school. Used to be four in high school, but uni parting changed that. Miss them dearly. :(

Wanna be my ride or die bro, Slyvie?

Loony BoB
06-22-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't actually have any friends I call best friends, but I have two very good friends a.k.a. ride or die chicks whom I've known since middle school. Used to be four in high school, but uni parting changed that. Miss them dearly. :(
I find this to be pretty much exactly the same thing. It's not about ranking or anything, it's just who you happen to be closer to than others. It's the same thing for who you call a friend and who you call an aquaintance.

Shattered Dreamer
06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Of my entire group of friends I have sort of an inner circle with whom I'm a lot closer too. Paddy (best mate from Uni now lives in New York, I've seen him maybe once in the last 2 years but we're still close), John (Caboose to you guys, he lives in Oxfordshire but when he visits home we make sure to hang out), Kieran (lived together for 9 months recently, an old friend from school), Adrian (current housemate, friends with him for 20 years), Conor (friends since high school all round good guy), Louise (girl I had a crush on in college, crush has since gone but a strong friendship remains) & Caoimhe (friend from college, dated her briefly, we are still close).

fire_of_avalon
06-22-2012, 11:15 AM
I have a lot of "friends" but no one to hang out with or really even rely on much anymore. I kind of suck that way.

Miriel
06-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Gotta agree with Psychotic on this one. Just 'cause I don't frequently hang out with someone doesn't diminish their quality. It's all about being bros to each other.

Balls to both of you, you're overthinking it.

The person who you usually call first when something amazing, or sad, or unbelievable, or hilarious happens, that's the person who is your best friend. If you literally call a different person each time, then you are totally spazzy and I don't believe you. You can have more than one best friend for sure, but ALL your friends can't equally be close to you. There has to be someone you think of first. Your go-to person. That's your best friend.

Tigmafuzz
06-22-2012, 11:57 AM
I have a lot of friends, a few of whom are really wonderful people. And fewer still the number I can depend on. But that's fine, because I'm usually the great friend that others depend on.

The person who you usually call first when something amazing, or sad, or unbelievable, or hilarious happens, that's the person who is your best friend. If you literally call a different person each time, then you are totally spazzy and I don't believe you. You can have more than one best friend for sure, but ALL your friends can't equally be close to you. There has to be someone you think of first. Your go-to person. That's your best friend.

Well then I guess I don't have a best friend. Unless you count my ex-fiance. But talking to her is more painful than helpful, so...

Jiro
06-22-2012, 11:58 AM

Not at all. I have different people I talk to for different issues, and different people I hang out with when I feel like doing something different. For instance, got my buddy Evan who's been my friend since we were 4 or 5. See him maybe once every couple of months just to hang out and catch up, and we get on like a house on fire and everything is great and bros etc etc etc but I don't tell him when I'm upset or whatever, that's just not the kind of relationship we got. Both of us know that if tit got real real serious that we'd be there, but it's one of those typical "I'm a guy don't be hugging me" things.

But then you look at Timekeeper and we've been mates for like 6ish years and we're bros and hang out relatively frequently and discuss politics and philosophy and video games and tit and sometimes when I get in a bad way I'll have a chat to him about stuff, but I don't rank him any higher as a friend. We tight too, and there's plenty of stuff I can talk to him about, but it's not everything y'know.

Then I got my buddy Stephanie who I only met in class last year but we've been getting on well and I can talk to her about all sorts of other stuff. I don't rank her any lower than those two despite the short time I've known her.

Then I got people that I don't even associate with any more because there's just no shared interests or nothing but if I called them up and say "hey I need ya" then they'd listen, and I'd do the same for them. This tier ranking stuff just doesn't fly with me. I remember a female friend of mine telling me a story about how her friends in primary school all "decided" they "weren't going to have any best friends" but then she secretly went up to another girl and said "but you're still my best friend okay?" It's just like a kids game to me. I know who I can rely on and who's there for me but I generally surround myself with great people so no matter how unfortunate I get, I know there'll be someone there. No need to go "you're a better friend than this person but not this person." I'll hang out with any of them, including half these wackjobs I met online. It's how I got all around the US almost entirely without paying for accommodation.

Sephex
06-22-2012, 11:59 AM
My group of friends are all close. I don't really feel it is right to rank any of them over the others. This may sound like after school bull****, but they all posses unique qualities that make me have fond feelings for them.

AND THEY ALL ANNOY ME TOO! ... But that's part of the deal when you get close to people. :)

Shiny
06-22-2012, 12:01 PM
In that case, my dad is my best friend, but I can't even call him that either because I don't like shopping with him. :colbert:

EDIT: He wants to take me shopping next week. Nvm, BEST FRIENDED.

Miriel
06-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Not at all. I have different people I talk to for different issues, and different people I hang out with when I feel like doing something different.

Of course you do, everyone does. Missed the whole point of my post. The point being that a best friend is simply your go-to person/people. The person you, you know, GO TO first most of the time. Not all the time, most of the time. Doesn't mean nobody else is capable, or even better in different circumstances. It's not a bad thing to be closer to some people more than others, and it has nothing to do with being a pissing contest or diminishing anyone's quality.

People you don't associate with anymore but still have your back are good friends, maybe lifelong friends. But they're not your best friend. And that's ok.

If you got excellent news today, who would be the first few people you call? If you got similar excellent news tomorrow, who would be the first few people you call? If the first set is completely different from the 2nd set (ie: you're totally spazzy) I would be really surprised. Most people don't have that kind of irregularity.

It's not like you have to have a go-to person, not everyone does. But if you do, it's not lame or mean. It's totally fucking awesome. AWESOME.

Psychotic
06-22-2012, 12:24 PM

The person who you usually call first when something amazing, or sad, or unbelievable, or hilarious happens, that's the person who is your best friend. If you literally call a different person each time, then you are totally spazzy and I don't believe you. You can have more than one best friend for sure, but ALL your friends can't equally be close to you. There has to be someone you think of first. Your go-to person. That's your best friend.who the smurf calls people all the time non stop like that

it's 2012 jeeeeeeesus.

also I don't feel the need to rush out and tell everyone every last detail of what happens to me as soon as it does because that's weird and crazy. AND LAME.

Miriel
06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
We all know you like to hoard all your personal information Mr. I'm-Taking-Trips-But-Not-Telling-You-Where-or-Why-or-to-see-Who.

Shattered Dreamer
06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
In that case, my dad is my best friend, but I can't even call him that either because I don't like shopping with him. :colbert:

EDIT: He wants to take me shopping next week. Nvm, BEST FRIENDED.

I agree with Shiny then if that's the case! Going by what Miriel says my Dad is probably my best friend

Jiro
06-22-2012, 12:54 PM
If I got amazing news I'd probably post it on EoFF...

yeah. That's generally what happens.

dandy da oak
06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
My best friend is Darth Vader. He kills people, just for me. He's such a lovely guy ^^

Loony BoB
06-22-2012, 03:56 PM
I think someone is just unwilling to give Iceglow the satisfaction of knowing that he is Psy's best friend.

I wonder how quickly people would be able to answer this thread if it were "If you were somehow able to marry yourself (asexual marriage?) and got to choose both the groomsmen and the bridesmaids at this wedding, who would they be?"

Tifa's Boobs: It's not an exclusive term - you can have craploads of "best friends". It's not a comparison to your other friends. It's a statement of the level of your friendship - best of friends is the original term, I believe. It's like saying "This friendship I have with this person is the best kind of friendship I could have."

Shorty
06-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Daniel is definitely my oldest "best friend" that I have somewhat regular contact with, and one of two people who know me better than anyone else (for better or worse). My sister Amanda, my soul mate Elizabeth and Pontus are the people I run to first when something happens or when I need to talk/bitch/be crazy to.

Rantz
06-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Sarah is actually my very best friend. I guess I'm last on her list, though. :cry:

Shorty
06-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Okay, I guess I'll edit my post for the third time and list you FIRST AND IN CAPITAL BOLD LETTERS.

Psychotic
06-22-2012, 06:52 PM
sarah will you be my best friend

we can talk about

i dunno

what is it you like?

you like octopi, right?

we can talk about those.

best friend.

Shorty
06-22-2012, 06:54 PM
I thought we were already best friends! I took a walrus picture for you!

Sylvie
06-22-2012, 06:54 PM
psychotic

Come on, take a trip with me.

Jinx
06-22-2012, 06:55 PM
psychotic

If he turns you down, I'm here. ;)

Psychotic
06-22-2012, 06:55 PM
i have so many best friends now

this is the best thread

the best friend thread

:love:

who likes muppets christmas carol?

Sylvie
06-22-2012, 06:56 PM
psychotic

If he turns you down, I'm here. ;)

you're always on a trip with me, honey

who likes muppets christmas carol?
I don't understand why the muppets are treated as equal citizens; they are defenseless and enthusiastic. They should be used as nothing but holes and labor cows. This is why I can't watch the Muppets without feeling a lapse between my reality and someone else.

Jiro
06-23-2012, 03:53 AM
I took photos of walrus too but Psychotic just wants to keep me at arms length :(

Laddy
06-23-2012, 03:58 AM
I have a disembodied skull. He listens to my struggles and never interrupts. He's there for me, with a constant grin. Understanding, but never arrogant. I call him Skully. :jess:

Shiny
06-23-2012, 06:04 AM
This thread is now disturbing. But, I love The Muppets. I can do a pretty good Miss Piggy impression.

Shlup
06-23-2012, 10:20 AM
I have one bestie since birth who lives a couple of states away, and one bestie from middle school who also lives many miles from me. But we text all the time. They're the best besties that ever bested.

And I also have my husband, who is dandy, and my dudebesties who play games with me.

Pike
06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Muppets Christmas Carol is great.

Hux has been my best friend for close to a decade now so of course it took us like seven years before we said "screw it, let's start dating."