PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Battle Saga

KentaRawr!
06-22-2012, 02:45 PM
I wasn't really sure whether to put this in General Gaming or General Square Enix, because even though Square now owns the rights to the series, so far only a remake of Tactics Ogre has been published. I ended up choosing General Gaming since almost the entire series was published by companies besides Square.

But anyway, have any of you guys tried the games in this series? I've gotten about halfway through Person of Lordly Caliber, but so far I haven't finished any of them all the way through. I'm also debating whether to play the PSP remake of Let us Cling Together (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rFMYH6tWso) or to play the PSX version first so I can appreciate the changes made. But then I also feel like I should play March of the Black Queen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckRX0k9owAY) so I can get the references in LUCT.

Also, between the Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-SMOsXCc0c) entries, which do you prefer? I really dig the gameplay style of the OB games, but from that I've played of the TO games, I prefer the way they present the story. What about you guys?

I Don't Need A Name
06-22-2012, 02:59 PM
I've only ever played the PSP version of LUCT. It was really, really good. A little tricky at times too. However, as with my playthrough of FFT, I've never finished it due to the length of the game and dwindling interest at about the half way point..

KentaRawr!
06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
I've only ever played the PSP version of LUCT. It was really, really good. A little tricky at times too. However, as with my playthrough of FFT, I've never finished it due to the length of the game and dwindling interest at about the half way point..

That's the same problem I had with both FFT and FFTA. Hopefully it doesn't happen with Ogre Battle, too! :p

Del Murder
06-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Tactics Ogre for PSP is my favorite game for that system. It really is an awesome tactical RPG. Like most tactics games, the battles do get a little repetitive once your characters are overpowered, but Tactics Ogre LUCT is less guilty of this than most games. The World system that lets you travel to any point in the game after you beat it is also pretty sweet and I hope that gets implemented in more games in the future.

I've only played the Ogre Battle series briefly on the first Ogre Battle game for SNES. I never got into it and found it kind of boring.

Sylvie
06-22-2012, 06:53 PM
LUCT on the PSX is awesome. I love this game so much that I have a very popular forum about it. Google tactics ogre forum; you'll find me.

Necronopticous
06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
You should definitely play March of the Black Queen, but play it on the SNES if you can. Incredible game, but then...is there a Matsuno game that isn't?

KentaRawr!
06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
You should definitely play March of the Black Queen, but play it on the SNES if you can. Incredible game, but then...is there a Matsuno game that isn't?

I was just playing that, actually. I got to chapter 3, but then I let my leader die and I hadn't saved.

:cry:

Wolf Kanno
06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
I've been playing Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen on my Wii, and it's a pretty fun game if a bit long winded. My only beef with it, is that it is definetly one of those games where the Manual was actually important in explaining background information and certain rules about alignment and classes. It's still a really fun game that comes across very simple but looking through guides you begin to realize how deep the rabbit hole really goes.

I actually own Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSP but have yet to get around to it since I'm still juggling a second playthrough of a few games, and my first playthroughs of P3P and MGS:Peace Walker, so it's in the back burners for the moment.

Bolivar
06-23-2012, 08:53 PM
I think it's better to at least try March of the Black Queen first, as some of the repeat characters show up early on and it does take place chronologically before Tactics Ogre. While the Battle System was incredibly interesting, I think it faltered in execution a little bit, it's just a little hard to keep up with it all, but if you've got enough dedication, it can be incredible.

Tactics Ogre is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't think playing the PSX version first is a good idea. Go straight for the excellent PSP port and I really doubt you'll regret it. The new translation is done by the FFXII/Vagrant Story guys and the key members of the original development team got together to use the PSP's newer technology to make the game they always wanted.

KentaRawr!
06-23-2012, 11:40 PM
I did try March of the Black Queen, and I definitely dig its gameplay. But, I've actually started playing the PSP version of Tactics Ogre and it has a very firm grip on my soul. :p Still, I do get some of the references. Lanselot of course being Lans, Warren being Warren, the Xenobian empire, etc. It seems as though the story appreciation can go both ways, though, so I'll just try to beat LUCT first before I go to any other game in the series.

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know if there's a way to increase a unit's loyalty to you? I know there are ways to decrease it, like killing a member of their own clan (naturally), but are there ways to make it go up?

Sylvie
06-23-2012, 11:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know if there's a way to increase a unit's loyalty to you? I know there are ways to decrease it, like killing a member of their own clan (naturally), but are there ways to make it go up?
Heal him, have other units and Denim personally do things to benefit and support him. Also, I think that if you have more people from their clan in your active army their loyalty will rise.

KentaRawr!
06-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Awesome! Thanks a ton. :)

Sylvie
06-24-2012, 06:04 AM
However, in the PSX version, it's a tad difficult to get them to actually leave your party. I've never had it happen to me before and I never paid attention to their loyalty. After using them enough they grow on you like perfectly loyal minions.

Dignified Pauper
06-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Don't forget the Knight of Lodis for the GBA! Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactics_Ogre:_The_Knight_of_Lodis)

KentaRawr!
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Don't forget the Knight of Lodis for the GBA! Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactics_Ogre:_The_Knight_of_Lodis)

From what I understand, the fandom prefers to think that doesn't exist. :p

Sylvie
06-27-2012, 05:09 AM
Yeah, this was the worst game in the series. Actually I can't really say that because I haven't played OB64. But KoL did not make the cut for me.