PDA

View Full Version : Environments in FF series!

ShinGundam
06-23-2012, 03:19 PM
What do you think about environments or worlds in FF series in general? do you think the environments are more or less natural and earthy or fantastical and stylized?

I have been thinking about this for a while and it seems to me that most of FF games are closer to our world rather than an alien world and full of fantasy based imagery.

Sephex
06-23-2012, 03:49 PM
I think they provide a good balance to both kinds. They do seem closer to our world, and there are a lot of environments that I would kill to see a real life replica of, like any Crystal room from FFIV.

ShinGundam
06-24-2012, 05:52 AM
I think they provide a good balance to both kinds. They do seem closer to our world, and there are a lot of environments that I would kill to see a real life replica of, like any Crystal room from FFIV.
Good point but natural landscapes are still dominant in FF.

Sylvie
06-24-2012, 06:11 AM
Final Fantasy VII has one of the best cyberpunk aesthetics (Midgar and some other places) possibly ever made.

Laddy
06-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Final Fantasy VII has one of the best cyberpunk aesthetics (Midgar and some other places) possibly ever made.
This.

Also FFIX, XII, and XIII had immersive settings that I really wanted to explore. Actually that was my biggest dissapointment with XII and (especially) XIII, a lack of depth into the worlds and their unique histories.

Jiro
06-25-2012, 10:29 AM
I get excited thinking about the fact that all of the tropical locations in X are like, just a hop skip and a jump away from Australia. I wanna be a blitzball when I grow up!

Flying Arrow
07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
In general, the games seem pretty "down to earth", ie: generally familiar-looking environments with cities and towns that look like something people would build.

VII, VIII, and IX all have this, for the most part - minus locations like the Forgotten City, Esthar, and Terra. Consequently, I'm not a fan of these exceptions outside of the Forgotten City.

Sylvie
07-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Esthar City was the worst thing ever.

Bolivar
07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
The best lies have a little bit of truth in 'em. That's how I think about the best FF environments. Like Lindblum - it's all pretty familiar architecture but it's definitely not practical for anyone in real life to build a castle city like that. Or FFVII, I really liked the grimey environments, the pre-rendered backgrounds look so good and remind you of a lot of urban blight/decay you could very well see in real life.

Sephex
07-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Esthar City was the worst thing ever.

Yeah, it's an instance of cool idea, poor execution.

Jinx
07-02-2012, 12:52 AM
I want to move to Burmecia, and have a summer home in Treno.

Del Murder
07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
I never thought the environments were too crazy in FF, and I liked that. Except Esthar. That place was nuts.

Flying Arrow
07-02-2012, 05:48 PM
I also really like the settings from X and XII, which generally are also "down to earth". X in particular really stands out. The shorelines, beaten up towns, and ancient ruins (Moonflow) really give Spira a lived-in feel. XII is great too because it a) it feels completely alive with NPCs and activity, and b) the world-map design is really well done, ditching the traditional "overworld" map like X but still allowing for the exploration of the earlier games. Overworld maps used to be like "in-between" sections, but locations like Cerobi Steppe, Phon Coast, and other traversal areas are legitimate places you want to explore. The whole game just feels like a real place.

XIII I liked a bit less. It seemed interesting but none of it seemed to flow. Plus, right off the bat it's wayyyy out there what with the frozen lake, glowing forest, etc. On the other hand, I love Gran Pulse. Amazing visuals and music. I could run around there all day.

ShinGundam
07-03-2012, 04:00 AM
I also really like the settings from X and XII, which generally are also "down to earth". X in particular really stands out. The shorelines, beaten up towns, and ancient ruins (Moonflow) really give Spira a lived-in feel. XII is great too because it a) it feels completely alive with NPCs and activity, and b) the world-map design is really well done, ditching the traditional "overworld" map like X but still allowing for the exploration of the earlier games. Overworld maps used to be like "in-between" sections, but locations like Cerobi Steppe, Phon Coast, and other traversal areas are legitimate places you want to explore. The whole game just feels like a real place.

XIII I liked a bit less. It seemed interesting but none of it seemed to flow. Plus, right off the bat it's wayyyy out there what with the frozen lake, glowing forest, etc. On the other hand, I love Gran Pulse. Amazing visuals and music. I could run around there all day.
Indeed, X,XII and XIII has a lot great environments but i think FF still need a smarter world design but i am not sure how or what is the best way to do it while bringing back elements like Vehicles and airships.

Depression Moon
07-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I like the realistic elements of FF environments and I don't mind the other-worldly environments of Esthar and the like either.

Sylvie
07-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Esthar was a really stupidly utopian setting, getting inside of the city is a pain in the ass, the roads are made out of Hot Wheels track pieces, and the method of transportation-- no matter which you choose (space bongo or otherwise) -- is the mere buildup of Zachary's bile.

Del Murder
07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
I like the realistic elements of FF environments and I don't mind the other-worldly environments of Esthar and the like either.
I don't mind them either but Esthar was just dumb.