PDA

View Full Version : Sonic vs Mario

DarkBahamut
06-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Are there any users on this forum that love Sonic much more than Mario Bros?

I know Super Mario Bros. is a classic and most likely the most popularized game on Earth, but I honestly think the original Sonic games were better. (Particularly Sonic the Hedgehog 2) They are both 2-D, continuously running across the screen games, and obviously Mario is older so it has less features than Sonic, but Sonic had better music and better gameplay.

Sephex
06-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I am the opposite! I LOVE old Sonic games, but I am a much bigger fan of Mario. I wish Sonic transitioned to 3D as well as Mario did.

DarkBahamut
06-23-2012, 08:28 PM
All of Sonic's games in this generation/era have not been successful, but only because they have so much to amount to if they wanted to be as significant!

Del Murder
06-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Mario is better simply because Nintendo is better at making games than Sega.

The older Sonic games are a bit too one-dimensional. Mario games have a bit more variety, within the games and between them. There's not a whole lot of difference in what you do in Sonic 1 versus Sonic 3, but Mario 1 and Mario 3 are a world apart. And, like Sephex said, the 3D Mario games have been outstanding while Sonic didn't make the transition nearly as well.

Bubba
06-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Sonic 2 was an excellent platformer but it can't match Mario for gameplay. Nintendo edge it on so many levels. Control of character, level ingenuity and simple, magical touches that stick in your memory.

Also... the music. Koji Kondo is an absolute genius. Sonic (and Sega) had nothing on Nintendo music.

Sylvie
06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
I prefer playing Mario. And probably the characters of Mario too. Sonic was pretty cool, but what they did with the storyline with the Sonic Adventure games were fucking unbearable and disgusting

Sephex
06-23-2012, 11:15 PM
I prefer playing Mario. And probably the characters of Mario too. Sonic was pretty cool, but what they did with the storyline with the Sonic Adventure games were fucking unbearable and disgusting

>new game
>add 500 characters

Sylvie
06-23-2012, 11:17 PM
The voice acting and attempt at drama was the worst ever

VeloZer0
06-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Mario is better simply because Nintendo is better at making games than Sega.
Despite the fact that I like the Sonic franchise (Sonic 1-3) better, I have to begrudgingly admit that I have accumulated more fun playing 2D Mario titles.

DarkBahamut
06-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Sonic 2 was an excellent platformer but it can't match Mario for gameplay. Nintendo edge it on so many levels. Control of character, level ingenuity and simple, magical touches that stick in your memory.

Also... the music. Koji Kondo is an absolute genius. Sonic (and Sega) had nothing on Nintendo music.
Every track in Sonic 2 were gems. All the other games have a great music too. Obviously the music are classic, but in Mario, the music was too repetitive for me.

Shiny
06-24-2012, 08:15 AM
As games, I'd have to agree with Del, but as character Sonic is better, but then again most things are better than Italian stereotypes.

Bubba
06-24-2012, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=Jordan Henderson;3094568]Sonic 2 was an excellent platformer but it can't match Mario for gameplay. Nintendo edge it on so many levels. Control of character, level ingenuity and simple, magical touches that stick in your memory.

Every track in Sonic 2 were gems. All the other games have a great music too. Obviously the music are classic, but in Mario, the music was too repetitive for me.[/QUOTE

Mario piano - YouTub (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CF4QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVeU5rv68rZ4&ei=oN3mT9eBA-eO0AXJ8qXyCA&usg=AFQjCNFFBEwqCQHvlqNZ013pJf5Qa4jhXg)e

Roto13
06-24-2012, 01:37 PM
All of Sonic's games in this generation/era have not been successful, but only because they have so much to amount to if they wanted to be as significant!

And also because many of them have been utter shit by their own merits. Sonic '06 was so bad, Sega actually removed it from Xbox 360's Games on Demand service because it hurts the brand so much.

And even the utter shit ones have been successful, at least financially.

Pike
06-24-2012, 03:55 PM
I really enjoy playing both franchises (as in Mario up to Mario 64 or so-- although honestly I thought Rare made the better 3D platformers-- and Sonic up to about Sonic 3&K). I'm not so sure I can choose a favorite.

Madame Adequate
06-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Sonic is blatantly better if you only count Sonic the Hedgehog through to Sonic and Knuckles.

Del Murder
06-24-2012, 05:26 PM
And only count Mario through what? Super Mario Bros 2?

Madame Adequate
06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
All Mario. Sonic actively becomes worse if you count anything else, bringing it down beneath Mario.

Sylvie
06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
When I play Sonic, I feel uncomfortable, because I feel that I have little control.

DarkBahamut
06-24-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm talking about the original games.
Sonic 1 through Sonic & Knuckles vs. the 3 Super Mario Bros. games

Probably should've mentioned that before, but yes.

Del Murder
06-24-2012, 11:41 PM
That's not really a fair comparison since the first Sonic games had the advantage of a 16 bit system. Regardless, SMB3 is better than any Sonic game.

Pike
06-25-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm talking about the original games.
Sonic 1 through Sonic & Knuckles vs. the 3 Super Mario Bros. games

Probably should've mentioned that before, but yes.

In that case, as much as I love SMB3 (which is a lot) I might have to give the nod to Sonic.

If we start counting Super Mario World and then (especially) Yoshi's Island, things get really tricky and I start to lean back over to Mario.

Del Murder
06-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Which we should, since those were made at around the same time and with similar hardware.

I keep posting in this thread because I honestly cannot fathom how anyone would say any Sonic game is better than Super Mario World.

Madame Adequate
06-25-2012, 05:46 PM
That is demonstrably false.

Del Murder
06-25-2012, 05:53 PM
WHAT?? I challenge you to a face-off MILF! Pick your favorite Sonic game and it we'll go head-to-head!

Pike
06-25-2012, 05:55 PM
One of the great things Super Mario World had going for it was the sheer size and scope of the world. I think it takes longer to 100% SMW than it does to 100% the first four Sonic games combined. (not trying to diss on Sonic because I love Sonic)

SMB3 is my personal favorite but SMW may be the best Mario platformer of all time (barring Yoshi's Island, which I think may be the best 2D platformer ever, period.)

Madame Adequate
06-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Sonic 2 son, first person to get Super Sonic wins.

Oh yeah :shobon: I already did that!

Del Murder
06-25-2012, 05:58 PM
One of the great things Super Mario World had going for it was the sheer size and scope of the world. I think it takes longer to 100% SMW than it does to 100% the first four Sonic games combined. (not trying to diss on Sonic because I love Sonic)

SMB3 is my personal favorite but SMW may be the best Mario platformer of all time (barring Yoshi's Island, which I think may be the best 2D platformer ever, period.)
I completely agree! Which is why MILF doesn't have a chance. But we'll give him a shot.

Madame Adequate
06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Oh wait I guess I misunderstood you!

Sonic 3 and Knuckles. :smug: Come at me darlings!

Del Murder
06-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Sonic 2 son, first person to get Super Sonic wins.

Oh yeah :shobon: I already did that!
Whoopteedo. I had a late start on SMW and then managed to get 3 levels ahead of everyone when my PSP crashed and I couldn't finish.

Anyway, this is not a speed challenge since Sonic has the clear advantage, being that running really fast is the only thing you do in Sonic games.

Sephex
06-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Guys! They are both good series (when it comes to the early days)!

But Mario is better.http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/sonicseyeinfectionbybonyf7.png

Slothy
06-25-2012, 06:42 PM
I keep posting in this thread because I honestly cannot fathom how anyone would say any Sonic game is better than Super Mario World.

I'm going to have to side with Del over Pike and MILF (wait, what!?) on this one. I love Sonic 2 as much as the next person. I enjoy Sonic 3 though it's not as good as Sonic 2, and I really never played enough of Sonic & Knuckles to completely weigh in but I remember not liking it nearly as much as 2 and 3.

But 8 and 16-bit Mario titles stab Sonic in the face and dance on the corpse. The original Super Mario Bros. is pure platforming bliss. Mario 3 adds immeasurably to the base the first one established and basically redefined the genre (no small feat when Super Mario Bros. basically defined the genre for many people a few years earlier). And Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island? There is no comparison there really.

I'll give Sonic some extra credit though because I loved Sonic Adventure to death. Far more than I should probably. Every 3D Sonic may have sucked after that, but it was an amazing fucking game.

Pike
06-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Well, it's hard for me to choose between both series. But as I was saying earlier it's pretty hard to compete with SMB3, SMW and Yoshi's Island. Man Yoshi's Island was great.

Bubba
06-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Well, it's hard for me to choose between both series. But as I was saying earlier it's pretty hard to compete with SMB3, SMW and Yoshi's Island. Man Yoshi's Island was great.

I agree, Miss Pike. Yoshi's Island was always underrated as it came out not long before SM64. Some of the effects in Yoshi's Island really pushed the SNES to the max. Bowser at the end of the game was particularly memorable.

Roto13
06-25-2012, 09:46 PM

I'm going to have to side with Del over Pike and MILF (wait, what!?) on this one. I love Sonic 2 as much as the next person. I enjoy Sonic 3 though it's not as good as Sonic 2, and I really never played enough of Sonic & Knuckles to completely weigh in but I remember not liking it nearly as much as 2 and 3.

But 8 and 16-bit Mario titles stab Sonic in the face and dance on the corpse. The original Super Mario Bros. is pure platforming bliss. Mario 3 adds immeasurably to the base the first one established and basically redefined the genre (no small feat when Super Mario Bros. basically defined the genre for many people a few years earlier). And Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island? There is no comparison there really.

I'll give Sonic some extra credit though because I loved Sonic Adventure to death. Far more than I should probably. Every 3D Sonic may have sucked after that, but it was an amazing fucking game.

There are some decent 3D Sonic games.

Sonic Adventure 1 is not one of them. What a mess.

Sephex
06-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Honestly, and I am not joking here, I think this is an European thing. I have noticed that Sega related products (as well as Sony) has always fared better over Nintendo based products in that particular area. I think it's because Nintendo's presence back then wasn't that great as it is today. Therefore, most people had easier access to Sega consoles, and Nintendo got swept under the rug there. A lot of people often forget that Sega really had Nintendo by the balls for a year or two worldwide, but once the SNES truly took off, it was back in their control until Sony rose and blah, blah, blah we all heard this story a billion times.

Long story short, it seems that Sega has more fans outside the US since they had good relations without Nintendo competing as hard in those regions.

SuperMillionaire
06-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Well, seeing as Mario and Sonic are getting closer together with their sports games, why don't Nintendo and Sega just merge already?

Roto13
06-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Because Nintendo is profitable and Sega is not.

Slothy
06-25-2012, 10:47 PM

Aside from the cat Adventure was pretty awesome. Far better than the pile of shit that was Adventure 2 anyway.

Jinx
06-25-2012, 11:18 PM
It'sa meeeeee, Maaaaaaddddiooooo!

krissy
06-26-2012, 12:25 AM
so in my dyslexia i saw this thread in the front forums with tifa's boobs posting as last poster and i read it as titanic vs mario
because tifa's boobs and sonic merged together in my head

and so yes

titanic vs mario

i have no easy answers
but it'd be a battle of the ages

Sephex
06-26-2012, 12:32 AM
so in my dyslexia i saw this thread in the front forums with tifa's boobs posting as last poster and i read it as titanic vs mario
because tifa's boobs and sonic merged together in my head

and so yes

titanic vs mario

i have no easy answers
but it'd be a battle of the ages

I just picture of Super Mario Galaxy type of Titanic looking boss and the mental image is greatly amusing me.

KentaRawr!
06-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Aren't you guys forgetting someone?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7b/Bonkadventure.jpg/250px-Bonkadventure.jpg

Sephex
06-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Aren't you guys forgetting someone?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7b/Bonkadventure.jpg/250px-Bonkadventure.jpg

Loved that game. I had a TurboGrafix 16 back in the day and played this and Kieth's Courage to death. It broke years ago, so one of the first things I did when I got my Wii on launch was download Bonk's Adventure. Never played the other two, but I plan on it some day.

Slothy
06-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Anyone who forgets Bonk should take their standard issue cyanide capsule.

Now would be preferable.

Jiro
06-26-2012, 04:49 AM
So when is this Sonic battle taking place? I'm not leaving until Del and MILF deliver with that challenge.

Del Murder
06-26-2012, 05:15 AM
The battle will take place at SUNDOWN.

A sundown SHOWDOWN.

Two games enter, only one leaves ALIVE.

That's right, it's Mario vs. Sonic THUNDERDOME.

BE THERE

VeloZer0
06-26-2012, 06:14 AM
In a note unrelated to game quality, Sonic would totally kick Mario's ass.

Jiro
06-26-2012, 06:19 AM
I eagerly await this duel of fates.

KentaRawr!
06-26-2012, 06:39 AM
I really prefer the Mario games, but I also really enjoy Sonic's games. I got loads of fun out of Sonic Generations for sure. =) But if we're only counting Marios 1-3 and Sonics 1-3, then I totally prefer Mario. Mario Bros. 2 and 3 are both marvelous games, and I really only enjoy Sonic 3 out of the first 3 sonic games! xD That's counting Knuckles, btw.

Bubba
06-26-2012, 08:42 AM
In a note unrelated to game quality, Sonic would totally kick Mario's ass.

In their original incarnations, I agree. Mario would be horribly mangled within seconds.

If you add power-ups to the equation though... it could get interesting.

Roto13
06-26-2012, 02:14 PM

Aside from the cat Adventure was pretty awesome. Far better than the pile of shit that was Adventure 2 anyway.

No.

Not even close.

That game was just terrible. At least the camera in Sonic Adventure 2 cooperated sometimes. Not often, but sometimes. Sonic Adventure 1 was just a few glitches away from being Sonic '06.

Slothy
06-26-2012, 02:39 PM
I honestly can't remember if the camera in Adventure 2 was bad or not. At least the camera in Adventure was pretty predictable in how it liked to spaz out.

But regardless, the levels, exploration and most of the characters in Adventure were far more enjoyable than having the bad guys play exactly the same as the good guys. Not to mention that I recall much of Adventure 2's levels being quite mind numbingly repetitive as a result.

And I have trouble forgiving the game that gave us Shadow the Hedgehog. A character that's exactly like Sonic in every way except dark in the sort of way only a 12 year old emo douche could consider good.

I'd love to pick Adventure 2 apart more thoroughly, but I haven't even played it since I beat most of it when it came out, and I've really never had any desire to go back to it since.

ReloadPsi
06-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Masato Nakamura is an unsung gem. The Sonic 1 & 2 soundtracks have shown their unforgettable qualities over time and you can't deny that Green Hill Zone is almost as recognisable (but still behind) Super Mario Bros' Overworld theme.

My own personal attachment comes from them making me take up bass. I know which I'd rather have on my MP3 player.

Del Murder
06-26-2012, 05:33 PM
I'd say far behind. Even people who don't play games know the Mario theme. Which brings me to...

THUNDERDOME ROUND 1 - MUSIC

I will ask some random people to sing the the theme from Super Mario Bros. and then ask them to do the same for ANY Sonic game. We will see how many can do either or both.

Sephex
06-26-2012, 05:39 PM
In the Sonic cartoon he was played by Urkel.

In the Mario cartoon he was played by CAPTAIN LOU ALBANO!

Now what? NOW WHAT?!

Del Murder
06-26-2012, 05:41 PM
You're skipping ahead, Spehex. That's ROUND 3 - MEDIA REPRESENTATION.

VeloZer0
06-26-2012, 05:45 PM
I will ask some random people to sing the the theme from Super Mario Bros. and then ask them to do the same for ANY Sonic game. We will see how many can do either or both.
I will agree that Mario would win using that metric. Here is another:

Of the people who regularly listen to video game music how often do they listen to Sonic vs Mario music?

Del Murder
06-26-2012, 06:05 PM
I don't think I know enough people who listen to game music regularly. Maybe I should take this to the streets!

Madame Adequate
06-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Got nothing to do with anything :colbert:

Furthermore, Sonic 3 Music: Ice Cap Zone Act 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxlqTpZ-24)

Furthermore furthermore, Sonic music was so astoundingly good that a rumor existed that it had been composed by Michael Jackson. That is how good it was.

Del Murder
06-26-2012, 06:56 PM
MILF, making up rumors about your preferred game is not until Round 8.

Sephex
06-26-2012, 08:12 PM

But it's true that if you beat the minus world in the original Mario, you can play World 9 which has two Bowsers to fight at the end of 9-4!

Shiny
06-27-2012, 03:51 PM
I'd say far behind. Even people who don't play games know the Mario theme. Which brings me to...

THUNDERDOME ROUND 1 - MUSIC

Most people would only remember the the da da dun dum theme. I don't even know what it's called. I can remember numerous songs and titles to Sonic music. Sonic music has been remixed by professional Trance, Electronica, and Hip Hop DJs. Mario Brothers music has been remixed as well but mostly just that da da dun dum theme. Wtf is it called?

If we're gonna talk about music Sonic music is obviously superior there, but we're not, we're talking about vidya games.

Pike
06-27-2012, 04:36 PM

But it's true that if you beat the minus world in the original Mario, you can play World 9 which has two Bowsers to fight at the end of 9-4!

MY DAD WORKS FOR NINTENDO AND HE SAID THAT YOU CAN GET A BAZOOKA IN SUPER MARIO RPG

Sephex
06-27-2012, 05:36 PM

MY DAD WORKS FOR NINTENDO AND HE SAID THAT YOU CAN GET A BAZOOKA IN SUPER MARIO RPG

SO DOES MY DAD AND THERE IS A BLOOD CODE BUT YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE GAME IS 30 SECONDS FOR IT TO WORK!!

VeloZer0
06-28-2012, 03:56 AM
If we're gonna talk about music Sonic music is obviously superior there, but we're not, we're talking about vidya games.
Though superior music doesn't make the game it is undeniably one element that enhances the game experience.

Roto13
06-28-2012, 01:51 PM
http://youtu.be/-z2kxFCQ_mQ

Tell me you didn't feel like you were playing a video game for the first time ever when you played Mario Galaxy, and that you're not Vivi22.

Slothy
06-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Don't hate me because Mario Galaxy wasn't great. :p