PDA

View Full Version : Putting down one's foot

ReloadPsi
06-26-2012, 01:30 AM
I just randomly remembered this incident I found rather awesome in which I was queueing in a McDonald's and this lady pushed in front of me about ten seconds before I got served. The team member or whatever the insist on being called went to make eye contact with her and ask her order, when I clicked my fingers in front of his face and said "Mate, serve me first; she pushed in front of me. I'll have..." and didn't even give them a moment to react.

He took my order without any hesitation (I must've been scowling something fierce) and the lady then turned to have a go at me, at which point I lectured her on proper queueing and how she, being visibly older than me, should've grasped that. She immediately dropped it.

Oddly enough I am never this assertive the rest of the time (internet conversation notwithstanding) other than around friends who are willing to tolerate it (I'm fairly sure they know I'll take as much from them... oh god I hope so anyway) but I honestly wish I could be.

Of course I think there's a line between assertive and just being a dick, and I have trouble defining it, which is why I often don't do anything for fear of the times I've crossed that line unwittingly.

How assertive are you guys capable of being with different kinds of people?

Alpha2099
06-26-2012, 01:34 AM
I am generally pretty wimpy. I don't have a lot of confidence and I hate confrontations. Once in a while, if I'm feeling pretty ballsy, I could do it, but usually I don't do anything about it. Like, if your situation happened to me, I would have just kept quiet.

Shorty
06-26-2012, 01:36 AM
I'll bust a cap if I have to.

Honestly, though, I'm too nice/timid. If someone got in front of me, I probably wouldn't say anything unless I was in a really terrible mood and not willing to stand it. Except for when I'm at concerts. Do not stand your tall ass in front of me at a concert once I've found my place.

Freya
06-26-2012, 02:00 AM
The longer I work at my current place of employment, the ballsier I get. If someone asks a stupid question, I give them a stupid answer. When frustrated with the answer I proceed to tell them I cannot do my job properly if they cannot propose a question properly. Most times people just play it off as me being funny but really I hate you people :mad2: Retail is killing my good natured spirit.

Because of that it seems to affect me in other places when shopping or the like. I will be more likely to voice my discomfort of a situation than I used to. Such as your line queuing incident.

Jinx
06-26-2012, 02:05 AM
The longer I work at my current place of employment, the ballsier I get. If someone asks a stupid question, I give them a stupid answer. When frustrated with the answer I proceed to tell them I cannot do my job properly if they cannot propose a question properly. Most times people just play it off as me being funny but really I hate you people :mad2: Retail is killing my good natured spirit.

Because of that it seems to affect me in other places when shopping or the like. I will be more likely to voice my discomfort of a situation than I used to. Such as your line queuing incident.

HHAHAHAHAHHAHA

But really, I'm not a jerk. I usually won't say anything, unless I'm very very offended. I'll probably defend someone else before I defend myself. I have told customers, though, that sexual harassment wouldn't be accepted from them. They treated me with respect afterwards.

Tigmafuzz
06-26-2012, 02:07 AM
I'm a very laid back person until it comes to something I have a strong opinion on (not politics or anything, but morally speaking.)

If you're being an asshole, I will take you down if I have to. To teach you fucking manners and respect.

Sephex
06-26-2012, 02:14 AM
On the subject at fast food customers, I will occasionally say something when I spot a rude customer. Nothing special here, but one time some very fat dude suddenly waddled in and lunged his food on the counter while breathing very heavy. He proceeded to slump over and go on about how he was missing a burger or something.

Okay, that's fair and annoying. He was being melodramatic, but whatever. Then he started to get personal with the cashier. After two or three more insults I speak up.

"Hey. Calm down, man. Besides, I really don't think you'd be hurting yourself missing out on some food."

Normally I don't stoop that low myself, but I was already in a bad mood as it was.

He gives me a predictable, "**** you!"

So I said, "If I did that, it would be the first time anyone probably touched you since the 80s."

Everyone starts laughing, his missing portion arrived, waddled back out with his tail between his legs, and peeled off.

I can't stand people who treat others at any place of business like they are a dog or something. Learn some damn manners. Everyone is going to get mad once in awhile, but when you start acting like a child (or worse) it's time to seek some help. There is no excuse for it.

Pike
06-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Yeah, the longer I work in customer service the snarkier I get. Sometimes it's all I can do to hold my tongue.

I'm so glad that in a couple weeks I'll be working the behind-the-scenes portion of retail (unloading trucks, stocking shelves and whatnot) because honestly I'd rather do that than deal with customers. The big honkin' pay raise I'm going to get helps too, of course. :monster:

P.S. Sephex, that's great.

Jiro
06-26-2012, 04:57 AM
I'll have to start doing witty one liners a la Sephex rather than just ignoring people. I dislike confrontation, sure, but I just feel my time would be wasted getting involved with idiots. Unless the person is like, being a dick to someone else. I generally pipe up then because everybody feels better when they got someone on their team.

chionos
06-26-2012, 06:05 AM
I usually let people walk all over me.

ReloadPsi
06-26-2012, 08:56 PM
I agree, that was a good one Sephex.

Miriel
06-26-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm usually pretty forgiving of really elderly people. They're old, it's ok if they cut. A old man cut me off on the freeway today, usually I would honk but man, this old dude was blazing along at 80+ mph. Go, old man!

And usually I'm tolerant of little kids being rude. I just think it's not really my place to tell them to quit fucking around.

But other than that, I am fucking zero tolerance. I don't know what it is about my appearance that makes people think they can take advantage of me, or be rude to me, or otherwise behave in an uncivilized manner. But I'm not ok with that shit and I'm *very* vocal about it.