PDA

View Full Version : Voice actors!

ReloadPsi
06-26-2012, 04:03 AM
Who are your favourite voice actors? Mine in no particular order:

Paul Eiding (sometimes uses the pseudonym Paul Otis)
He only has one voice... but that one voice is one of the most epic, most fantastic, most awesome voices I have ever heard. It just seems to fit such a wide range of roles, whether he's the moody narrator in Diablo, the authoritative but troubled Colonel Campbell in Metal Gear Solid, Ben 10's slightly snarky grandfather (I assume he's snarky; I've only watched the compilation of his lines, not the show itself) or the henpecked-bad-ass-yet-all-round-lovely-person Gary/Gally "Vanish"/"Banish" Gregman in Evil Zone. You can spot his voice a mile away, and it's always a delight to hear.

Matt Chapman
If you don't know who he is, fair enough. His internet fame seems to have come and gone, but he was the voice of just about every single character on the Homestar Runner website. His range is simply incredible, and if you watch the cartoons from oldest to newest, you can just hear him improving constantly, putting more emotion into his roles, making them sound more natural and less gimmicky... if memory serves he's now doing voice acting professionally as the fact he and his brother both have children means they haven't enough time to work on the website. I'm not familiar with most of his professional work, but regardless I think he's bloody good.

Jennifer Hale (sometimes credited as Carren Learning)
I don't know why, but the voice she gave Emma in Metal Gear Solid 2 impressed me so much. There was something about it that just sounded like a perfectly normal person always saying things that seemed perfectly normal to her (they were, in fact, rather heavy matters, at least at that point in the game) as well as the way she acted Dr. Naomi Hunter. Hunter goes through pretty much every emotion in the book during the original MGS and Ms. Hale delivers it incredibly well.

Judy Greer
Admittedly I only know her as Carol Tunt in Archer, but part of the reason she's my favourite character is because she's so perfectly voiced. That's... that's all I have to say on that one really.

Sephex
06-26-2012, 04:27 AM
There are a few I like, but I only want to focus on one for this post.

I think Quentin Flynn does a great job in every roll his is in. Some people are still bitter because of how Raiden was in MGS2, but he stepped him game up for MGS4 and helped take Raiden to its logical conclusion. I liked him a FFVII's Reno too!

ReloadPsi
06-26-2012, 04:46 AM
There are a few I like, but I only want to focus on one for this post.

I think Quentin Flynn does a great job in every roll his is in. Some people are still bitter because of how Raiden was in MGS2, but he stepped him game up for MGS4 and helped take Raiden to its logical conclusion. I liked him a FFVII's Reno too!

I unironically liked Raiden, so I've never had a problem with his voice actor :P

krissy
06-26-2012, 04:53 AM
archer is just the best show
the best show

ECCC 2012: Star Wars Trilogy: The Radio Play - Official Video - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzRmWeC6Ds)

Laddy
06-27-2012, 04:39 AM
Jennifer Hale is a goddess who deserves your respect. That woman is amazingly talented.

Jiro
06-27-2012, 06:48 AM
My favourite voice actor is Roogle :jess:

blackmage_nuke
07-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Paul Eiding and Jennifer Hale for reasons mentioned

Grey DeLisle (Azula from Avatar as well as many other works) gives me chills.

Jessweeee♪
07-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Jennifer Hale is so badass. I also liked Liam O'Brian before Fallout New Vegas. He is every one and everything.

Sylvie
07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I have always liked Steve Blum.

Forsaken Lover
07-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Jennifer Hale is nice but I'm afraid Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn takes the prize for my Favorite Female VA.
Kari Wahlgren and Bridget Hoffman are also amazing.

For the guys, I really like Yuri Lowenthal, Dave Wittenberg and a bunch more.

Special mention to lesser known VAs - Darren Dunstan as Pegasus in Yu-Gi-Oh! was fantastic. 4Kids hate is dead and boring and that dub had pretty damn good people.

Slothy
07-26-2012, 01:06 PM
While I agree with many of the choices in this thread, especially Jennifer Hale (coincidentally she was born in the town my wife is from), how can we have a thread for favourite voice actors which managed to go one post, let alone ten, without mentioning Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill?

Forsaken Lover
07-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Probably because we're all talking about mainly anime VAs.

If we get into Western VAs, as good as Kevin and Mark are, I'm afraid Simon Templenan and Tony Jay beat them out in my book.

Slothy
07-26-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm afraid Simon Templenan and Tony Jay beat them out in my book.

Also excellent choices. I think I shed a manly tear or two when Tony Jay died. One of the many reasons I hope nothing ever happens with ReBoot again.

Wolf Kanno
07-26-2012, 05:44 PM
SBzRmWeC6Ds

The Babekeepers
07-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I have always liked Steve Blum.

I always remember him as Spike. :p

Mind you that's a good thing, cause Spike is smurfing awesome.

Also, LIam O'Brian and Crispin Freeman.

Edit: Bay, forgot to switch back. This is Uncle Big hands btw.

Forsaken Lover
07-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Another favorite of mine - Paul Dobson.
Naraku Scenes - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1UJIunfe2o)

He is awesome. In fact, the Inuyasha dub was pretty damn awesome all-around.

Shorty
07-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Alec Baldwin - narrator in The Royal Tenenbaums. Alec Baldwin should narrate everything.
Brendon Small - Home Movies and Metalocalypse.
H. Jon Benjamin - everything he has done, ever. Dr. Katz. Home Movies, Lucy, Daughter of the Devil, Archer. Bob's Burger's wasn't terrible, but I wasn't in love in love with it.
Richard Epcar - Kenshin, Samurai Champloo and Witch Hunter Robin.
Robin Williams - definitely a favorite VA.
Ron Howard - Arrested Development
Steve Blum, indeed - Spike and Shishio from Kenshin.

I wish Dave Foley would voice more characters, because I love him and playing a robot for Fallout just isn't enough for me.

Forsaken Lover
07-27-2012, 01:12 PM
I prefer Kenshin's voice in the dub of the actual anime. His VA also did Legato in TriGun.

Also I totally forgot about Rob Paulsen. He's frickin' Mighty Max AND Pinky. (also Gray Fox but we don't talk about Twin Snakes)