PDA

View Full Version : "You're just an empty cage, girl, if you kill the bird" [Chick musician thread]

fire_of_avalon
06-26-2012, 04:29 AM
We were talking about Tori Amos in #eoff earlier and that got me on a kick. Because Tori Amos. And I love her. And that led me to remember I also really love Melissa Etheridge. Which led me to remember I also love Erykah Badu. Which led me to remember I love a lot of lady musicians and led me to making a thread.

Talk about your favorite lady musicians and favorite lady musician albums!

Sephex
06-26-2012, 04:37 AM
I liked Tori Amos' version of "97 Bonnie and Clyde" because it made a nightmarish experience. The lyrics are still the same, but the music is supposed to make you feel that you are locked in a car trunk. Play Eminem's "Kim" followed by the Amos verion of "97 Boonie and Clyde" makes for a very disturbing listen.

krissy
06-26-2012, 04:47 AM
i love the original bonnie and clyde by gainsborough and bardot

anyway fiona apple is touring right now so that's cool

i had the pleasure of stealing a chair from this girl a few months ago:

Charlotte Cornfield - All of the Pretty Mistakes - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7dl5lf6aP8)

edit:

obviously not a thread without the following though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxxhxjgnC0

chionos
06-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Tori Amos is great.
In general I don't enjoy many female musicians.
I'm not a huge rap fan but I've always liked Missy Elliot's attitude and musicality.
I really dig Norah Jones sometimes.
Anne & Nancy -- Heart is kick-ass

Jinx
06-26-2012, 06:14 AM
BROOKE FRASER ANYONE?

krissy
06-26-2012, 06:20 AM
i would dine MIA and then we'd go star gazing

Jiro
06-26-2012, 06:25 AM
I am in love with Kate Miller-Heidke. I saw her live once and oh god she is beautiful, I just want to marry her.

k2o6buiDlfo

Pike
06-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Lady Gaga

chionos
06-26-2012, 06:33 AM
Lady Gaga

I thought I liked you.

Jiro
06-26-2012, 06:47 AM
I also really like Missy Higgins, she's cute as a button too. Australian female artists are always like, adorable.

Foad9fP-hHY

charliepanayi
06-26-2012, 09:07 AM
PJ Harvey (probably the greatest of all)
Joanna Newsom
Kate Bush
Bjork
Fiona Apple
St. Vincent
Marnie Stern
Feist
Robyn
Annie
Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins and as guest vocalist for Massive Attack)
MIA (though the last record was rather messy)
Sleater-Kinney (Ok, that's three great female musicians)
Tori Amos (though mainly in the 90s only)
Victoria Legrand (Beach House)
Mimi Parker (Low)
Georgia Hubley (Yo La Tengo)

Shiny
06-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Lauryn Hill and her album, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill <-- dats my tit

Other then that I'd have to of course say Beyonce, Alicia Keys, and Mariah Carey. I really enjoyed her album the Emancipation of Mimi and a lot of her older stuff (pre-Glitter phase).

Also, don't care for her music but love her voice: Regina Spektor.

Rantz
06-26-2012, 11:45 AM
God tier:
Joanna Newsom
PJ Harvey
Björk

Demigod tier:
Ane Brun
Anna Ternheim
Anna von Hausswolff
Beth Orton
Carina Round
Fiona Apple
Jenny Lewis
Kate Bush
Patti Smith
Regina Spektor

Legendary tier:
Amy Winehouse
Annika Norlin (Säkert! / Hello Saferide)
Feist
Frida Hyvönen
Joanne Shaw Taylor
Laleh
Laura Marling
Missy Higgins
Norah Jones
Sofia Karlsson

This is just counting still active musicians. Include non-active ones would make me seizure trying to arrange them.

Mirage
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Björk
Madonna
Lady Gaga (yes you mothersmurfers)

Are the female artists I most commonly listen to. They are in a random order.

Unless you count all the dnb/techno/whatever tracks with female vocals that i have no idea who actually makes the music are.

Pike
06-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Gaga deserves to be in this list has not heard her sing live with naught but a piano

Shorty
06-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Jenny Lewis reigns above all other female artists. Every one of them. Except perhaps Cat Power and Karen O.

charliepanayi
06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Lady Gaga will get on this list when she does a song that's one one-hundredth as good as Like a Prayer.

krissy
06-26-2012, 10:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAolCtofOtA

fire_of_avalon
06-27-2012, 01:44 AM
Jenny Lewis reigns above all other female artists. Every one of them. Except perhaps Cat Power and Karen O.

What? No. Get out.

Also Nina Simone? YEAH, Nina Simone.

Shorty
06-27-2012, 02:28 AM
You get out! You'd probably like her, foaface. Give her a try!

Laddy
06-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Anyone who doesn't think Gaga deserves to be in this list has not heard her sing live with naught but a piano
Which is exactly why that should be the music she releases. She's excellent live and understated compared to her less impressive electro-pop work.

Shiny
06-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Oh yeah, I do like Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) too.

Wolf Kanno
06-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Madonna is a long time fave, though she hasn't really made an album that was listenable since Ray of Light

Kylie Minogue is a fave of my and one of her recent singles is currently on repeat on my iPod

Jewel wasn't too bad back in the day, though I'm still annoyed that I can't find a version of You Were Meant for Me that actually sounds like the radio version and not that awful bland piece of garbage on her album.

I love Gwen Stefani, though I must say, she is better with No Doubt's reggae themed style. Her solo work is okay, just not Tragic Kingdom caliber

Melanie Thornton from La Bouche has a wonderful distinct voice that lent itself well to the early 90s dance scene. It's a shame she died in a plane crash.

Speaking of early 90s dance, Patsy Peterson and Vanessa Mason really made Real McCoy stand out, as well as Malin and Jenny Berggren from Ace of Base were great vocalist as well.

Sheryl Crow was another favorite growing up, as well as Meredith Brooks. Though my fave back then was Merril Bainbridge, her music is just so infectious.

Mariah Carey is pretty awesome and I also enjoy Loreena McKennitt

Toshiko Koshijima the lead vocalist for capsule is another recent fave singer.

Paula Abdul had a few good songs, Poe has a haunting voice, and who could forget the Spice Girls? Besides that one guy on the British game show. ;)

Mirage
06-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Which is exactly why that should be the music she releases. She's excellent live and understated compared to her less impressive electro-pop work.

But what if she likes electro pop better?

Rantz
06-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Ohh, I have to mention Beth Ditto of The Gossip too. She's amaaazing.

ZRur9D354W0

Jinx
06-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Ohh, I have to mention Beth Ditto of The Gossip too. She's amaaazing.

ZRur9D354W0

Ugh, I really don't like her voice.

NorthernChaosGod
06-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Do female frontmen count? :p

If so I really like Epica, Nightwish, and Sinergy. If they don't, I pretty much only like Madonna and some Ellie Goulding.