PDA

View Full Version : Party Evaluation - GBA Version

Alpha2099
06-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Just started a new game of the GBA version of FF1 on a whim tonight. As per usual, I used a Random Number Generator to pick my team for me. The result was: Monk, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage. It's interesting, as I've never played without a Fighter before.

The immediate pros I see to this: Quick power early from Monk and Thief, cheap to equip everyone.

The cons I see: Lack of overall defense (these guys are going to take some lumps), I'll have to lean on the Mages a lot to help the Monk and Thief, and the money I save on equipment will probably have to go to buying lots of restorative items.

Anyone have thoughts on this pairing? And I do plan to go through all the bonus dungeons with this group and such.

Sephex
06-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I like it. I have never tried that party before, so I think that's what I am going to do the next time I play FF no matter what version I play. I recently beat it late last month (emulated NES version), so I won't be playing it any time soon.

You nailed it with the pros and cons. Buy lots of restorative items like you plan on doing and you should be fine.

Alpha2099
06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I like it. I have never tried that party before, so I think that's what I am going to do the next time I play FF no matter what version I play. I recently beat it late last month (emulated NES version), so I won't be playing it any time soon.

You nailed it with the pros and cons. Buy lots of restorative items like you plan on doing and you should be fine.
Yay! For once I knew what I was talking about. :D

ReloadPsi
06-29-2012, 12:52 AM
This party's gonna be fun to play for sure. The classes' abilities are balanced out a lot better in the GBA version (I'd even go so far as to say the black mage earns his keep in this one) so almost any party in this game can be relatively manageable. The lack of a distinct tank should be interesting; for all your Monk will have nice physical defence later on, its magic defence will blow.

Alpha2099
06-29-2012, 01:17 AM
I am trying to get through the Marsh Cave at this moment. Everyone is Level 14, which may be on the high side, but as I expected, these guys are getting knocked around solidly. I have never been accustomed to running from fights, but others have told me it would be wise to do so in order to get through this dungeon.

Note also that I don't know how much time I intend to devote to this right away. I've been committed to Shining in the Darkness right now, plus writing a fanfic. This just happened on a whim. But whenever I make progress, I'd like to keep this thread informed, because I do think it's an interesting party combination.