PDA

View Full Version : Which version of FFIV is the best?

KentaRawr!
06-28-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm not choosing between versions or anything. I'm on FFV right now anyway. :P But I'm curious which version of the game you guys feel is the best one.

Sephex
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
For me, it is the original. I have problems with the fan translation, but I am not going to fault the game itself for that. Also, I don't have a problem with any version of the game. Yes, even "Final Fantasy II."

Alpha2099
06-28-2012, 05:44 PM
When the GBA remake came out, I couldn't wait to get it. I had never played FF4 at that time, and I was excited to try it. I'm glad I did; I think it's my 3rd or 4th favorite FF.

Wolf Kanno
06-28-2012, 11:05 PM
While I can't really say much about the Super Famicom versions, I would say my two favorite versions have been the Playstation port since gameplay wise it's the most faithful to the original, though the script still isn't quite there. I also liked the DS version cause it was a nice new take on the original and I feel it's far more accessible to newer fans who expect a little more in content. If I had to choose between the two, I would say the PS version is my favorite because I actually prefer the 16-bit graphics cause I really feel it's the best representation of the world.

The other versions are good as well of course, so honestly you can't really go wrong with any version of the game.

Fynn
06-29-2012, 01:05 PM
The DS version actually makes the game seem more epic, in my opinion. I'd recommend that as the best version of FFIV. However, if you want to play the sequel as well, I'd recommend the PSP version. There, FFIV is basically just a port of the GBA version, which is quite fine, but it's the complete After Years that I think make this version worth buying.

ReloadPsi
06-29-2012, 06:35 PM
I almost can't believe this myself, but I think the PSP version is my favourite now.

Hollycat
06-29-2012, 07:12 PM
It's between the DS and PSP version, and here is the differences:
DS is in 3d, includles one cutscene in hd, and a bunch of zoomed in sequences in LQ. Adds new features in the form of new game plus and bonus powers that can be dispersed as you please, two new bosses and a few minigames. The gameplay mechanics have been tweaked to make them flow better, and all battles are in 3d.
Also more sex jokes.

The PSP version is the orginal game with tweaked battle system and drastically improved graphics, but other than a few new cutscenes including a new HD CGI for The after years, it adds very little to the original game.
On the other hand, it costs less than the DS version and retains 3D. It also includes the After Years, a full new game that takes place in familiar settings, and the completely new interlude, which honestly kind of sucks, mostly due to it being in such an awkward place and starting with leveled members.
The music box returns better than ever, however, unlike the DS version, there are no augments, and the legend of namingway has been removed.

It really comes down to preference between classic 2D and a more modern version of the game in 3D, with less overall content. I personally choose the PSP version because it comes with two full games and the interlude, as well as it stays true to the classic 2d.

Slothy
06-29-2012, 07:54 PM
I'd probably agree with WK on the PSX version, or the GBA version just because I like the original graphics. I kind of like the updated graphics in the PSP version as well though. I wish there was an option to switch between them for FFIV. I also like the PSP version because it has the After Years. I've yet to beat it, I'll probably start over again from scratch when I get around to it, and I find the episodic structure a little meh, but it's still nice to have the option of playing it if you want.

I've also still never played the DS version.

Jowy
07-15-2012, 07:54 AM
oooh shiny PSP sprites

i can't believe i've bought this damn game five times in my entire life. :(

Pike
07-15-2012, 01:50 PM
I had no idea there were this many ports of FFIV.

Spooniest
07-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Final Fantasy's "greatest story ever told."

What really makes 4 unique in the series is the fact that the main character is quite blatantly a Messianic figure.

Slothy
07-23-2012, 03:11 PM
i can't believe i've bought this damn game five times in my entire life. :(

I've bought it four times myself. Which makes me realize that I'm doing nothing but reinforcing the notion that Square shouldn't bother making new games apparently.

Pike
07-24-2012, 01:26 AM
I love FFIV. I need to hurry up and finish III so I can replay IV already.

Sylvie
07-24-2012, 01:29 AM
I haven't played all of the remakes that came out after the GBA port. But I'm fairly certain that the Chronicles version is fucking awesome.

Agent Proto
08-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm uite liking the DS version, so I'm going to say the DS version is best version.

Elskidor
08-19-2012, 04:28 PM
It's been a few years, but I remember liking the DS version a lot, but it seemed easier than the original. I don't know if there is any truth to it, or maybe I just remember IV being harder when it first came out. I have only played the SNES, PS and DS versions so far.

Citizen Bleys
08-19-2012, 07:01 PM
PSP version all the way; it's the only way to get The After Years without becoming a Wiitard.

Hollycat
08-19-2012, 08:16 PM
DS version all the way; it's the only way to get The After Years without becoming a Wiitard.

You mean psp don't you?

Citizen Bleys
08-19-2012, 08:17 PM
That's what I said. *ninja vanish*

Laddy
08-20-2012, 02:44 AM
I've beat it on PSX and GBA, yet only tried it on DS and never touched the PSP version, but I say GBA since the ever-so-slightly improved visuals and better writing is certainly a plus.

TreasonWall
05-29-2013, 07:14 PM
The GBA PAL/Second japanese release is the best version of this game in existence. We all know how dreadful the US/first JP release is. Literally unplayable. As for the other ones:

-"FF2": JRPG for babies.
-FF4 on SFC: Can't play that with a reliable script if you're not fluent in Japanese, and I am not. Plus it lacks the bonus content of later versions.
-Easy Type: let's be real, no one plays that.
-PS1: Seriously, those load times. No bonus content either.
-DS: Nothing bad I can say about this one (though I don't have it), but it's not called a remake for nothing. Compared to the original, it's another game entirely.
-PSP (Complete): I'm sorry, but being able to multi-cast Protect or Shell the same way you do Float is seriously broken. Also, it looks a little too good considering the substance.

Evastio
05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I personally like the GBA Version the best, for staying true to the original while adding more. Having access to practically every character in the end was a really nice addition.

Though if I ever get to play the PSP version, I'll probably have that one as my favourite for having all the GBA content intact, having the After Years packaged within it, having the nicest graphics, and being able to switch between two different soundtrack versions on the fly.

Nice
09-23-2013, 12:09 AM
I've played all versions of FF IV and my favorite version was the psp. The DS version is interesting, but I'm not sure it was my cup of tea. The psp version is more or less a love letter to the fans I feel, plus it comes with Interlude and the After Years.

Donatello
09-26-2013, 09:32 PM
The one they haven't made yet

Elskidor
09-29-2013, 07:03 AM
I still have not gotten around to trying the PSP version. Does the PSP add anything more or better than the DS? Or did the PSP version get so many votes, because it was fresh and new when this poll was first created? The DS kicks ass. Still not sure why the heck square tards have not made new updated versions of VI, but have a zillion different forms of IV, but I guess I'll never understand what these guys are thinking. IV is a great game though, so I guess there is never such a thing as too many different versions.

Psychotic
11-08-2013, 04:12 PM
I've beaten the PSone version and the SNES version, which are pretty much identical anyway - load times and FMVs being the difference, I guess. I've started the iOS version and I must say I like it a lot more. I was never a fan of FFIV's sprites (compared to V and certainly VI) although the battle ones are nice. I love the 3D art style, and I think the writing has been sharpened a little bit.

Electroshock Therapy
11-18-2013, 12:27 AM
The load times on the PS1 can't be that bad can it? I've played Origins and I noticed a couple seconds of waiting between fights in Final Fantasy II. It didn't bother me at all. You notice it at first, but once you get into the groove of the game you barely notice them. Anthology also had a few seconds of loading for battle, but nothing to really complain about. Is Chronicles worse somehow or the same?

Elskidor
11-18-2013, 12:53 AM
I can't recall, but load times on PS1 generally really annoy me, so I don't know if I would get use to it. A couple seconds would not be bad, but PS1 is known for horrid load times. I really like the DS version best so it works for me though. Damn, FFIX PS1 load times...nightmare. It's either 14 or 16 seconds for a fight to load, and when you figuring you'll probably fight a good 1000 to 2000 battles that adds up eating into a good 5 to 9 hours of the overall game time experience, depending on how much you grind. VII and VIII aren't that much better. They may say they run about 55 to 60 hours of game play, but with all that load time you can shave off a good chunk of those hours. That is one thing I love about the classic era. I'd love all PS1 games to be delivered on a system where the load times were all but non existent.

Electroshock Therapy
02-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Now that I've played the game for a while, I can say that yes, loading a save file and saving the game takes some time, but that's about it. Once you load the game, just use Memo Save as a replacement until you want to quit. Memo Save takes no time at all, and is useful if you're constantly dying. So it's very easy to work around. And even without it, I've played enough Playstation games to not be bothered by loading times. I'm pretty patient in that regard. Heck, I had to learn patience just to play this series!

I'm very far into the PS version of the game (Sealed Cave) and I'm really enjoying it. Even though it's the only version I played, I went ahead and voted the Playstation version. From what I've researched, it's more true to the original game than any other version. US release on SNES was made easier, while DS took several liberties and harder difficulty. I'm sure they are both great, including the DS, but I usually like to experience games how they were originally made (unless the original was awful). And so, Playstation it is.