PDA

View Full Version : Brave [Spoilers]

Pike
06-30-2012, 05:25 AM
I saw this movie tonight and loved it. Sure, it wasn't the strongest of Pixar's films, but it was still absolutely solid and I think it might be the first big animated film to really delve into the mother-daughter relationship, which I thought was neat.

Anyone else love it? :jess:

Shiny
06-30-2012, 01:06 PM
The bear and the horse are great. The human characters were okay.

Jinx
06-30-2012, 01:27 PM
I loved it!

Shlup
06-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but opinions seem to be split between "Yay, Merida is doing thing because she's an independent young woman!" and "Merida is a selfish wangdoodle!" And then there's always the people who expect every movie Pixar puts out to be the very best movie they ever made. I hate those people the most.

I don't think I care for the style of the characters, but it still looks pretty. I just need someone to go with.

DMKA
07-01-2012, 01:32 AM
I want to go see it but no one I know wants to go see it. Everyone seems to think it looks awful. o__O

Hollycat
07-01-2012, 01:34 AM
I want to go see it but no one I know wants to go see it. Everyone seems to think it looks awful. o__O Ill go see it with you

Bunny
07-01-2012, 01:55 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but opinions seem to be split between "Yay, Merida is doing thing because she's an independent young woman!" and "Merida is a selfish wangdoodle!"

She isn't selfish; she's a teenager.

I saw it with my girlfriend and one of her friends from work. We all enjoyed it. It wasn't the best Pixar movie ever released, but it was entertaining and fun to watch, which is the point of movies like this. It was also beautifully done. The music was pretty awesome.

Jinx
07-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Go to the movies on your own? It's what I did.

I loved it, I really did. No, it wasn't the best, but it was still pretty great.

However, I was more of the opinion Merida was more of a brat than inspiring. Yeah, her mom was pretty harsh. But it felt like the message of the movie was: It's okay to disobey your parents and just be total dicks to them, kids. If you are, they will listen to you, and you'll totally get your way.

Shlup
07-01-2012, 02:23 AM
I might go see it myself. I haven't done that since Tarzan came out, but that was a nice afternoon. My brother-in-law is visiting though so I'll probably see it with him in a few days.

Del Murder
07-02-2012, 06:35 PM
It was good for an animated movie but not good for a Pixar movie. Yes, I hold them to a higher standard than the rest so feel free to hate me, Amanda. I did enjoy it and that's what matters, but I wouldn't have paid money for it if it wasn't Pixar. It was just too generic a story. How to Train Your Dragon had a similar setting and was much better.

You know what was great, though? La Luna. Pixar should just do all silent films. Wall-E was excellent, and the first 10 minutes of Up were among the most emotional of any movie I've watched. Neither of which had a lot of dialogue, if any.

The best things I got out of that night were La Luna and the trailer for Wreck-It Ralph.

Miriel
07-05-2012, 07:18 AM
La Lunaaaaaaaaaa!! Words can't describe the delight and wonder I had while I watched that short. I loved it with all my heart.

As for Brave, it was definitely entertaining and I enjoyed it. But it's not anywhere near the caliber of Pixar's other stuff. Not. Even. Close.

It was super duper predictable. Very very little was unique or surprising. And one of the things Pixar does best is surprise you with their depth, poignancy, and humor. None of that here. Everything was standard.

I would rank this below as a notch above Cars, but below everything else. As far as Disney is concerned, comparing the two Princess movies side by side, Tangled absolutely wins over Brave. I'd give it a solid B. And honestly, I think little girls would love it. And omg, her HAIR! Animation magic right there.

SuperMillionaire
08-02-2012, 09:40 PM
You know, I just thought: if they made a sequel, they should pair Merida with an effeminate prince, since Pixar apparently likes putting tomboyish girls and effeminate boys together.

Del Murder
08-03-2012, 07:16 AM
When have they done that?

Shlup
08-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Uhh... Buzz Lightyear and Jessie? He did cross-dress that one time.

Clo
08-06-2012, 08:47 PM
You know, I just thought: if they made a sequel, they should pair Merida with an effeminate prince, since Pixar apparently likes putting tomboyish girls and effeminate boys together.

Or, or... wait for it....

They could pair her with a GIRL.

Shlup
08-06-2012, 11:57 PM
I would totally loose my shit if Pixar made a lesbian female lead. Never going to happen, obviously, but man that would be awesome. Just a subtle romance, like Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune or something.

Del Murder
08-07-2012, 03:20 AM
They'll have a lesbian female lead before they have a female lead that isn't a tomboy.