PDA

View Full Version : 4X games are fun!

Pike
07-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Let's talk about the genre known as 4X! Turn-based strategy where you build and expand! Civ is the most famous 4X but there are lots of others. I am currently rather enjoying Endless Space. What about you guys?

Alpha2099
07-01-2012, 06:05 AM
I grew up on Civ and SMAC. My dad got me Civ IV for Christmas, and after playing through it a couple times, I got nostalgic for SMAC, so I went back to that and discovered I like that one a whole lot better.

Pike
07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Have you played Planetfall? It's a mod that SMAC-ifies Civ IV and it's pretty great. (Obviously it doesn't live up to the original SMAC but what does?)

Alpha2099
07-01-2012, 02:35 PM
That one comes with the game, right? I got the complete edition of Civ IV that has both expansions and a bunch of mods built-in. I didn't try any of those yet.

Madame Adequate
07-01-2012, 05:32 PM
YES 4X IS THE BEST GENRE

CIVILIZATION
SMAC
ENDLESS SPACE
DISTANT WORLDS
MASTER OF ORION
GALACTIC CIVILIZATIONS
SPACE EMPIRES
STARS!
ASCENDANCY
FRAGILE ALLEGIANCE
IMPERIALISM
HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC
LEGENDS OF PEGASUS
STAR RULER

:hyper:

Skyblade
07-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Master of Orion 2.

The best of the genre.

Pike
07-01-2012, 11:46 PM
That one comes with the game, right? I got the complete edition of Civ IV that has both expansions and a bunch of mods built-in. I didn't try any of those yet.

Nope, you get it separately! http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=252829

Alpha2099
07-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Well, if I'm ever inclined to play either Civ or SMAC again, I'll look into it.

Freya
07-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Maybe I should have checked this thread out before I made the space one. All the ones you named in there are in here! I SEE HOW YOU PEOPLE WORK YOU 4X PUSHERS.

Wolf Kanno
07-03-2012, 10:09 AM
It's a pretty addictive genre, I actually stopped playing them cause I hated losing my entire day off to playing them and not having accomplished much else. I grew up on Civilization 2 and Colonization.

Kaspian69
07-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Yup! 4X games can devour a huge amount of my time because they suck me in so much. I've been playing Endless Space a fair bit, and it's the most fun I've had with a space 4X game since MoO2. I like a lot of the new races that they've added, as it helped to balance out the various species in the game's MOs. I've been enjoying the pilgrims a lot as a fairly research-oriented race, and an alternative to the Sophons. Great game. Also want to put some time into that Warlock game that came out earlier in the year. It looks kinda nice as well.

Bolivar
07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Hey I'm not sure if these games count, but I just bought this pack off Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008G0ZDZI/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00) for $12.49. It's got Victoria II, Sword of the Stars I & II, and Crusader Kings II, which sounded so insane I had to grab it. If any of you guys ever wanna get a little EoFF game night going with any of them, let me know!

Pike
07-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Those are Grand Strategy more than 4X but still a very good deal :eek: Vicky 2 and CK2 are wonderful.

smayragrace
07-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Hey What type of Games are you Talking about here..I really have not heard about this type of game before but I am taking keen interest in playing This type of game so tell me more about it Guys?

Pike
07-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Not sure if bot...

Anyways, I'll let Wikipedia do the talking: 4X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X)

4X games are a genre of strategy video game in which players control an empire and "explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate". The term was first coined by Alan Emrich in his September 1993 preview of Master of Orion for Computer Gaming World. Since then, others have adopted the term to describe games of similar scope and design.

4X games are noted for their deep, complex gameplay. Emphasis is placed upon economic and technological development, as well as a range of non-military routes to supremacy. Games can take a long time to complete since the amount of micromanagement needed to sustain an empire scales as the empire grows. 4X games are sometimes criticized for becoming tedious for these reasons, and several games have attempted to address these concerns by limiting micromanagement with varying degrees of success.

Calvin10
11-05-2012, 05:03 AM
Not sure if bot...

Anyways, I'll let Wikipedia do the talking: 4X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X)

4X games are a genre of strategy video game in which players control an empire and "explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate". The term was first coined by Alan Emrich in his September 1993 preview of Master of Orion for Computer Gaming World. Since then, others have adopted the term to describe games of similar scope and design.

4X games are noted for their deep, complex gameplay. Emphasis is placed upon economic and technological development, as well as a range of non-military routes to supremacy. Games can take a long time to complete since the amount of micromanagement needed to sustain an empire scales as the empire grows. 4X games are sometimes criticized for becoming tedious for these reasons, and several games have attempted to address these concerns by limiting micromanagement with varying degrees of success.

hank you I'll be here all week, try your waitress and tip the veal.

But seriously I wasn't joking I've sworn off 4x games because of it, never again.