PDA

View Full Version : Overhead Expenses

Loony BoB
07-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Do you utilise hats or umbrellas when it is raining? Perhaps a raincoat? Or do you not mind getting wet?

I gave up on umbrellas after my umpteenth one broke due all kinds of annoyances (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rupuemytt-4). I do have a couple of hoodies, but I rarely use them unless I know it's gonna rain. And even then, I often just wear a jacket without a hood and just get wet. I don't mind. I have come to realise over the years that getting wet is a very temporary inconvenience, and sometimes I'm quite happy to feel a little rain on my head, especially after a long day's work.

This thread was inspired by Rantzien. And you really should watch that YouTube video, if you haven't seen it before. It's great. Poor quality, but better quality options had spoilers.

Old Manus
07-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I gave up on umbrellas after my umpteenth one broke due to annoying wind.I'll make sure I never sit next to you on the train, then.

Loony BoB
07-01-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't take the train! At least, very rarely. I catch the bus. I make full use of bus stops, and on the way to work I probably go through around five meters of unsheltered ground before I get off the final bus. Hooray for Lothian Buses!

What I find annoying is people who use umbrellas when there are perfectly good shelters around. And then sit next to me on the bus. With an umbrella that is absolutely soaked and dripping everywhere. I can't put my bag on the ground for all the people who do this and the flood of water that subsequently can make it's way around the bus floor! Ridiculous.

Jinx
07-01-2012, 05:36 PM
I never use an umbrella. I like the feel of rain. But, the reason for me to use one is to protect my hair. And, my hair is naturally curly, and gets frizzed any time there's humidity in the air , even if raindoesn't touch it. So, what's thw point?

Shorty
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I learned pretty quickly after moving here that an umbrella is needed to survive the rainy spring in the bay. I'm not really fond of raincoats.

Sephex
07-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I just deal with the rain. It doesn't bother me even if I am out in it for awhile, like the time I changed my car battery when it was pouring out.

Sylvie
07-01-2012, 06:42 PM
I love just getting soaked in the rain.

Alpha2099
07-01-2012, 06:47 PM
When I'm at school in Ohio, if it rains it also gusts upward of 40 MPH. If I take an umbrella out with me, I have to grip it tightly to the point where my fingers hurt. So to counter that, I just don't bring one with me to class. Then I show up looking like I've been lost at sea for a week.

(FYI: I just changed my sig last night and someone told me it "wasn't working", so if you see something wrong, please let me know.)

Sylvie
07-01-2012, 06:54 PM
It still is not working. You can't hotlink directly from that website; upload them on photobucket or something.

Alpha2099
07-01-2012, 07:26 PM
See, that's really weird, because I've been seeing them just fine. But I did what you said and put them on photobucket, and I've linked from there. Let me know if it works better now. I won't be able to tell the difference, since it already looked like it was working.

Sylvie
07-01-2012, 07:29 PM
It works now. I believe part of the reason you were still seeing them is because of your cache is still showing them to you because it's outdated. Everybody else sees the current state of things. This information may be dysmorphic coming from me, but I'm on the right track.

Sephex
07-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I can see the sig for the recrod.

Anyway, something about the rain I don't like, which is what I was reminded of just now while running errands. I hate driving in the rain. Not because I have trouble, or because traffic slows down, etc. I hate it because the humidity fogs up the windows easily and I constantly have to turn on the defroster which makes the inside of the car more humid. I don't have working AC in my car either, but even if I did, I would still have to mess with the defrost settings. If I am by myself, my own body heat doesn't mess with it, but when there are three people in a small car, like there was just now, then FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Quindiana Jones
07-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Umbrellas need to be removed from all stores and outlawed. People found using them, or even owning them, should be sent to labour camps to make anoraks. A good way to tell if someone is a wanker is to see if they own an umbrella.

Sylvie
07-01-2012, 07:44 PM
How about we start loading them into trains and killing them en masse

Freya
07-01-2012, 07:49 PM
I only use an umbrella if I know I can't walk into work or something completely soaking wet. Otherwise I JUMP IN ALL THE PUDDLES! I usually get completely soaked :D That's why they are there! To be jumped in! If you're not jumping in rain puddles, you're doing it wrong.

Tigmafuzz
07-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I love just getting soaked in the rain.

This. Whenever it rains I go for a jog. Even if I already went for a jog and I'm tired. Hell, even if I haven't even finished my current jog when it starts to rain. I fucking love the rain. So much.

Sylvie
07-01-2012, 08:16 PM
It's one of the most realistic feelings I have experienced.

Quindiana Jones
07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
How about we start loading them into trains and killing them en masse

That sounds like an excellent idea.

Shlup
07-02-2012, 01:50 AM
I have coats with hoods, several umbrellas, and a pair of rain boots. I love walking in the rain and not getting wet.

Jiro
07-02-2012, 02:27 AM
Don't even get me fucking started on umbrellas

Quindiana Jones
07-02-2012, 03:13 AM
"I sweat a lot, so I have to keep my arms as far apart as possible."

fire_of_avalon
07-02-2012, 03:55 AM
I have a raincoat and an umbrella. I rarely have occasion to use them. I would like to use them more often because the umbrella especially is cute.

Sephex
07-02-2012, 04:28 AM
Don't even get me fucking started on umbrellas

Hey, Jiro. How about you get started on umbrellas.

Quindiana Jones
07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I want to hear Jiro's opinion on umbrellas that open using velcro.

Cuchulainn
07-02-2012, 04:36 PM
It's one of the most realistic feelings I have experienced.

you dont half talk some shite.

Old Manus
07-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Those non-britishislesian fairies obviously don't know real rain.

Shorty
07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
What's wrong with people using umbrellas?!

Quindiana Jones
07-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Because it's the most arseholish way to stay dry ever. Not only does it not really keep you that dry, because most rain doesn't fall in a vertical fashion, but it also redistributes rain onto everyone surrounding you. Additionally, you're waving a collection of spikes in everyone's faces (everyone's). It is the most inefficient and inconsiderate way to attempt to stay dry devised by humankind.

Shorty
07-02-2012, 05:19 PM
It keeps your FACE dry, atleast! A hood doesn't do that! Frankly, I'm not sure why you're complaining. Something that keeps you dry, wards off strangers to stand farther away from you and something you can use to beat the shit out of someone else? No, umbrellas rule.

Quindiana Jones
07-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Psh, who veers away from umbrella wielders? Decent folk just push that tit out the way!

NorthernChaosGod
07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
I use a giant umbrella when it rains that I've had for like like 8 years. How do you keep breaking them, BoB? :confused:

Shiny
07-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Umbrellas are annoying, but I still use them cuz this hair isn't getting wet unless it's in the shower.

ReloadPsi
07-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Simply because I hate wearing hats, don't like to put my hood up, and don't like to have to carry an umbrella, I've come to not mind getting wet.

Pike
07-03-2012, 05:28 AM
You know the worst part about rain? When it gets all over your glasses.

Even so, I'm usually too lazy to carry an umbrella around. Unless it's really bad. Then I'll consider it.

Loony BoB
07-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I use a giant umbrella when it rains that I've had for like like 8 years. How do you keep breaking them, BoB? :confused:
It's not me, it's the tall French stranger.

I don't use the more sturdy giant umbrellas because they don't fit into my bag. I use the "press a button and it folds out" types. Or, used, anyway. Anything that doesn't fit into a bag is far too cumbersome for my liking.

Shorty
07-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Amen, sister.

Tigmafuzz
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM

I used to hate that until I realized I could take them off.

Sylvie
07-03-2012, 07:35 PM
But then you can't see.

It's actually very calming in a claustrophobic kind of sense when I wear dark sunglasses in the rain and the water just pours on them and I can't see, behind some windshield.

Now I really want it to rain soon.

Shorty
07-03-2012, 07:39 PM
I used to hate that until I realized I could take them off.

Must be nice for people who don't get headaches from blurred vision when they take them off!

Jinx
07-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Even so, I'm usually too lazy to carry an umbrella around. Unless it's really bad. Then I'll consider it.

Amen, sister.

Contacts.

krissy
07-03-2012, 08:44 PM
i keep reading this thread title as 'overheard expenses'
and i keep wanting to come in here to type out quotes from the bus or something

'yo gurl you won't believe how much them smokes cost me! it's really cuttin into my son's lung cancer treatment don'tcha know! gubmint!'

Pike
07-04-2012, 12:25 AM

Amen, sister.

Contacts.

I wore contacts for like six years and then got sick of how they always dried out my eyes by 7pm so I just said "screw it" and went back to glasses. NO REGRETS.