PDA

View Full Version : Does New Zealand really celebrate Christmas in July?

DMKA
07-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Some person with a non-American accent called me yesterday and asked for me to deliver a basket of Poinsettias...I said "Umm...sir, it's summer, we only have Poinsettias for Christmas" and he was all like "IT IS CHRISTMAS" and I was like "Uhh...where?" and he said "I'M IN NEW ZEALAND AND ITS TOTALLY CHRISTMAS HERE AND I'M STARING AT POINSETTIAS IN MY WINDOW RIGHT NOW!!!!!"

I assumed it was a prank call at first, but the guy sounded serious as a heart attack, and ended up settling for a plain old dish garden, even though he had his heart set on poinsettias.

Was I being trolled, or is New Zealand really some wacky bizarroland where they celebrate Christmas in July...hey wait, is that where the whole "Christmas in July" thing came from?

Discuss.

Old Manus
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Christmas in July was briefly considered in Wales, but we remembered that the weather was going to be exactly the same anyway so we didn't bother.

Quindiana Jones
07-02-2012, 11:55 PM
I didn't even know there was more than one month. I celebrate Christmas, Easter and all birthdays in Rain.

Pike
07-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Some person with a non-American accent called me yesterday and asked for me to deliver a basket of Poinsettias...I said "Umm...sir, it's summer, we only have Poinsettias for Christmas" and he was all like "IT IS CHRISTMAS" and I was like "Uhh...where?" and he said "I'M IN NEW ZEALAND AND ITS TOTALLY CHRISTMAS HERE AND I'M STARING AT POINSETTIAS IN MY WINDOW RIGHT NOW!!!!!"

I assumed it was a prank call at first, but the guy sounded serious as a heart attack, and ended up settling for a plain old dish garden, even though he had his heart set on poinsettias.

Was I being trolled, or is New Zealand really some wacky bizarroland where they celebrate Christmas in July...hey wait, is that where the whole "Christmas in July" thing came from?

Discuss.

This is the best post on Eyes on FF at the moment.

Jiro
07-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Christmas in July is just an excuse to have a wintery Christmas party. Problem being that most of Australia still doesn't see snow so you don't even get a "white" "Christmas," you just get to be a pretentious wanker.

EDIT: we do it too so there you go

escobert
07-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Even here where we get snow, we usually don't have much or any around Christmas time :p

and I'll take Christmas in July! PRESENTS PLZ THX!!