PDA

View Full Version : Quitting

Jiro
07-04-2012, 05:57 AM
How do you go about quitting a job? How do you go about quitting a job you like?

I didn't so much quit today as let my boss know that I can't do certain aspects of my job (inb4 Jiro's a prostitute) but it was really hard to put on the table 'cause I didn't want to disappoint. Also because this lady is new to the position and so I don't actually have rapport with her yet.

I've never actually quit or been fired from jobs I've had. I just sort of... stopped going. Or stopped being given work. It's like, the no frills way to do things. I like it!

Sephex
07-04-2012, 06:09 AM
I have done the standard two weeks thing and moved on.

Oh, wait. When I started the current job at the place where I currently work, I did have two jobs beforehand. One was at an ice arena. Before I officially started my new job at the time, I had to go in early to train for a couple of Saturdays. I had no way of contacting my boss, so I left a note a week in advance saying that I wouldn't be able to work a couple of Saturdays.

I get a voice mail when I am on break at my current job. The front desk lady is freaking out that I am not there to open the pro shop, which is what I primarily worked at the ice arena. I smile. I call her back.

She says that I am in big trouble. I tell her that I already put in my two weeks. I also inform her about the note situation I just mentioned. I then said that they can fire me, but then they'll have to find a replacement spot light dude for the ice show that was in a few hours. I then point out that they didn't give me a raise in two in a half years, and I only stayed there because it was an easy way to make cash for doing nothing in a crappy pro shop. I then tell her that I know for a fact that they have been hiring teenagers that made more than me. Lastly, I said that I am not concerned about losing out on that job when I am probably going to get paid more than her very shortly (at the time).

Nothing happened, and I didn't get yelled at. I finished up the ice show and never looked back.

Versaille
07-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Just stop showing up? Man, I hated when people did that because then I had to work twice as hard because someone didn't show. It depends on the job you are doing, I suppose. But I have only left 3 jobs when I was younger. The first one I was fired, quite unfairly. The second one the company kind of died out and they didn't need but a few employees so they just kept their management team to do all the work and everyone else got laid off. And the third I had a new better job that suited my future career so I put in a 2 weeks and explained to them I was moving on. Hopefully I never have to go through any of that again, I hate leaving somewhere I've invested so much time and energy into. Good thing where I work is probably where I will stay for awhile...after I get my nursing license and all that goodness.

Shorty
07-04-2012, 08:02 AM
I generally give two weeks notice because it's polite, but admittedly there are a few places I've worked at where I just stopped showing up.

Parker
07-04-2012, 11:08 AM
As much as I'd like to just walk out and never return, it would annoy my friends and colleagues more than the managers. So I'll be handing in my notice soon.

Levian
07-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Slothy
07-04-2012, 01:14 PM
I've never just stopped going. The few times I've had to quit I've either given my two weeks, or told them when I'd need to be done if I could work longer than two weeks before finishing.

I will say though, when I worked in a call center there was no better feeling than giving my notice. That job had me ready to kill myself at one point, and those last two weeks felt great because I didn't have to give a shit about anything.

Pike
07-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I always hated it when people quit showing up because they'd leave us in a bind. I've always done the polite thing and given a two weeks notice.

HOWEVER, this thread is particularly well-timed for me, because I'm down to my last handful of days at my current job (having given my two weeks' notice a couple weeks back) and I'm pretty sure I'm going to no-show on my official last day. Because that's when my new job is holding orientation and I'm not going to miss it.

To be fair I'm going to be giving people advance notice that I won't be showing up, but it would still count as an no-show and infraction if I was staying. I'm not staying though, so :smug:

Versaille
07-04-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm starting to wonder, if you just stop showing up instead of putting in a two-weeks you're kind of ruining your reputation? I mean, sure there are plenty of jobs out there that are too lazy to call your old bosses but I was working at this place where our manager received plenty of calls where she got asked about past employees and she would straight up say nope, he was lazy, don't even bother hiring him. I mean, that guy was lazy but your manager could be all, well, he got fired because he stopped showing up. Then you probably wouldn't be able to get that job. Where I work, in a retirement home, my interviewer had to call all 3 of my references and my managers at all 3 places that I worked. I know this because I had to give her a new reference because one of mine wasn't answering their phone.

Pike
07-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm starting to wonder, if you just stop showing up instead of putting in a two-weeks you're kind of ruining your reputation? I mean, sure there are plenty of jobs out there that are too lazy to call your old bosses but I was working at this place where our manager received plenty of calls where she got asked about past employees and she would straight up say nope, he was lazy, don't even bother hiring him. I mean, that guy was lazy but your manager could be all, well, he got fired because he stopped showing up. Then you probably wouldn't be able to get that job. Where I work, in a retirement home, my interviewer had to call all 3 of my references and my managers at all 3 places that I worked. I know this because I had to give her a new reference because one of mine wasn't answering their phone.

I know some coworkers who straight up quit without a two weeks back when they were like... 15, 16 years old and ten years down the road it still haunts them. I imagine it depends on the employer though. Ask foa, she knows about this kind of stuff.

Tigmafuzz
07-04-2012, 09:10 PM
In Missouri, all they are allowed to say is, "Yes, I would hire him again" or "No, I would not hire him again." They legally cannot say anything else.

That's dumb.

NorthernChaosGod
07-04-2012, 09:11 PM

In Missouri, all they are allowed to say is, "Yes, I would hire him again" or "No, I would not hire him again." They legally cannot say anything else.
I've heard similar stuff for California. I can't say for sure though.

Sylvie
07-04-2012, 09:46 PM
I've heard the same for Pennsylvania. I would like to find out the truth so that I can lie more easily.

Versaille
07-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is most places. But do people actually know that sort of rule? My manager had no problem speaking her mind about it over the phone. I hardly doubt her honesty would've landed her in trouble somehow. Who knows though. It's a stupid rule though, I wanna know what kind of dipshit I'm hiring.

Iceglow
07-05-2012, 12:29 AM
In the UK the standard notice period is 4 weeks. Also an easy way to check what is legally allowed to be said to a prospective employer about someone is either to get a friend to call up your boss and ask them for a reference for you because of a job application you put in (prepare for some slack or use a previous boss) sit there on loud speaker and see what is said or if they want to mail a reference that's fine have them mail it to the guy and then read it.

Another UK point is that is is illegal for an employer to give a bad reference. You can be crap at the job but all they can do is say "XXX was adequate at their job and performed tasks in a reasonable amount of time" If they say "XXX was total crap at his job, he slacked off, got in to trouble and was disruptive to the workforce." Then legally "XXX" could sue the reference writer. So essentially a reference which is glowing is what you are hoping for. If you work for a major company however it is likely your reference is pre-scripted and will be the exact same as anyone else who works for the company if they left. "XXX worked here between these dates, they performed as expected" type of thing. You can request a manager or superior to write you a personalized reference if you wish but it is their prerogative to simply say "no, sorry" and that's that. Also if they do write you a personal reference then they'll generally count as a character reference not a employment reference on your job application.

I've quit a few jobs before, I quit working for Sainsbury's and worked my 4 weeks notice period. I had a 16 hour a week contract where I would work mondays and tuesdays however I also worked every week some overtime 'til the point whereby it legally was contractual of Saturday and Sunday. I simply worked my 16 hours and worked my 20.5 hours in HMV at that time on the remaining days of the week. My resignation letter was actually written using the lyrics of "So Long & Thanks For All The Fish" from hitchhikers guide. My manager saw the funny side of it, my HR manager did not, she made me write a second more official letter. My last day was pretty much me being a dick and knowing my managers couldn't do shit all to me for it.

I quit working at Pizza Hut and seriously my manager there refused to take me off the books. He used to insist on paying me an hours wages every few months so that the company wouldn't automatically close my contract down. Hell I didn't even ever work that hour lol. I know he eventually let it close down but that was about 6 - 9 months after I officially quit the company. He really wanted me to go for management training, in hind sight I probably should have.

I'm looking for a new job atm, it's harder this time I can't do an instant start and work my notice period out on my current contract because I work 37.5 hours. Unless I went to night shifts for a month or managed to get signed off sick during it, that might be possible at the present rate they're destroying my ability to cope with the stress they give me. If offered a better job whereby I can leave without working my notice period I probably would leave without working it, simply use any remaining holiday and call in sick on the remaining days, it'd take too long for the company to drag my contract through a disciplinary proceedure held in my absence to fire me so I'd get away with it.

Jessweeee♪
07-05-2012, 03:08 PM

I know some coworkers who straight up quit without a two weeks back when they were like... 15, 16 years old and ten years down the road it still haunts them. I imagine it depends on the employer though. Ask foa, she knows about this kind of stuff.

Yeah, you could totally screw yourself over but you might get lucky. I have a friend that threw a hissy fit and set all the money in the cash register on fire when he quit a job and he still manages to get work xD

Jinx
07-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Okay, Pike...why are those people still using their first job when they were 15 that they just quit without notice as a reference/on their resume? Take it off!

Slothy
07-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Okay, Pike...why are those people still using their first job when they were 15 that they just quit without notice as a reference/on their resume? Take it off!

That's what I was wondering. I could understand it might make finding your next job a bit difficult, especially if it happened when you were an adult, but teenage jobs aren't really all that important, particularly once you've had a few after high school. Hell, my resume has been so cramped the last few years I dropped anything pre-University, and I think I even drop my job as a teaching assistant if need be. And I don't think I told anyone that I edited example questions in an accounting text book just because I forgot which publisher I technically worked for.

The only way future employers find out where you worked is if they either know your former boss or you tell them right?

Pike
07-05-2012, 03:52 PM

No idea!

sharkythesharkdogg
07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
In the military it was nice. I simply stated I had no intent to re-enlist after my tour of duty was up. They interviewed me, offered a bonus for extending my contract, and I politely declined. Once my out processing paper work was done, I took the 2 months worth of vacation I had been saving up. I timed it to where I only had two month left in my assignment before I started vacation. I went on terminal leave.

I went on vacation around the area during the first month, and was swinging by work with my beard and civilian hair cut. I was nice because I'd actually saved up 3 months of vacation, but they wouldn't let me take that many months in a row. So I cashed out the last month, and used it as my vacation fund.

The final month of leave, I packed up and moved to my new place and my new job. That was probably the most enjoyable experience I've had leaving any job.

My last job in retail management, I gave a month's notice. I explained the job was fine, but I had to go help run the family business. They were happy, and said I could come back in the future if I wanted. They found someone to promote and replace me, so I actually only worked two weeks of that month. It all ended on good terms.

rubah
07-06-2012, 02:37 AM
you suck it up and give your notice

(unless you live in an at-will state and you hate everyone you work with. Do whatever, then)

Faris
07-06-2012, 02:59 AM
When I left my first job, I gave my boss a heads up that I might be getting a job elsewhere and I also took Christmas off due to stress. Before New Years, I let her know that I got hired and won't be working there once the new year begins.

If I leave the job I have now, I would likely give another verbal two weeks notice and try to line up a replacement (small business)

DMKA
07-06-2012, 03:05 AM
I'm an employer myself, and I prefer for employees to stop showing up rather than put in a two week notice, and everyone that has put in a two weeks notice I've fired early. :p

fire_of_avalon
07-06-2012, 04:01 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is most places. But do people actually know that sort of rule? My manager had no problem speaking her mind about it over the phone. I hardly doubt her honesty would've landed her in trouble somehow. Who knows though. It's a stupid rule though, I wanna know what kind of diptit I'm hiring.

Mostly it depends on where you live and what type of company you work for. As a general rule most, if not all, states have laws protecting people from malicious negative feedback - feedback presented in such an extreme way that would prevent a potential employer from hiring you, all candidates being equally suitable or less suitable for the position.

But they can discuss facts that would present you in a negative light. If you didn't work your full notice they can say "Megan didn't work her full notice." They can't say "Megan was a blight on this company and we hope she is dead. For your sake you should stab her in the face."

Now that being said, defamation is a very fine line and straying from the facts even a little can get people in trouble. That's one reason most companies have policies in place that indicate management should not provide any information on previous employees, and they should refer inquiries to HR departments. But no, if you were late most of the time it is perfectly legal for an employee to say "Megan was late most of the time."

EDIT: Almost forgot to add - your old manager is a walking time bomb of getting into trouble. Saying things like "John was lazy" are character judgements, they're based on subjective perception and not recordable fact.

Here's a fun fact for everyone to keep under your hat. In almost all states you have a right to a copy of anything you sign. This means codes of conduct, disciplinary records, performance reviews, etc. I'm actually in the process of getting my previous performance reviews from my last job.