PDA

View Full Version : controlling devices on my wireless connection

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-05-2012, 04:37 AM
ok, so I just put in the wii in our 12 year old room and hooked it up to our wireless internet so she can have netflix in her room. I run my pc and the wii on the wireless network, and have a wired connection to my blu ray player. is there a way that I can pull up and see everything on my router and say if I want to disable her connection at her bedtime to ensure shes not on while we're asleep, without turning it off to my pc, is there a way to do that?

Mirage
07-05-2012, 12:01 PM
That would probably mostly depend on the router itself, as there is a big variety in routers with different features. Maybe netflix has some parental controls built in that you could set for the account she's using?

chionos
07-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Netflix has lame parental controls, nothing that will help SoS I think. Most routers do what you're wanting OP. You might get lucky and have one that does exactly what you're looking for. My cisco router allows me to set time limits and auto-on and off times to anything on the network. Worst case scenario, though, if you get into your router's advanced settings you should be able to find a DHCP client table that will list each object currently accessing the network. This is also the place you'd go to see if a neighbor has somehow hacked your password and is leeching your connection. Most of the time the table has the option to kick specific ip addresses off the network. It won't stop them from reconnecting, but hopefully your daughter would get the picture, yeah? The problem with all this is that the Wii retains its connection to the internet (for updates and also to allow the transferal of power for charging peripherals) even when the system is turned off, but I believe that you can turn that function on and off in the Wii's wireless configuration.

Old Manus
07-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Unless the router has built in access time controls, I don't think there's any way of doing that non-manually without other software. You could ban the MAC address of the Wii every evening and unban it in the morning, I suppose.

Spawn of Sephiroth
07-12-2012, 04:16 AM
Unless the router has built in access time controls, I don't think there's any way of doing that non-manually without other software. You could ban the MAC address of the Wii every evening and unban it in the morning, I suppose.

how i do that?

Old Manus
07-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Have a look at the connected devices (on the router's config page, probably http://192.168.1.1) and try and spot the Wii (obviously it has to be connected first) and write down the MAC address or something, then there should be an option to deny access to certain devices, and you just punch in what you wrote down. It all depends on your router model, though. Would still be a good idea to have a look at some software that does it easily for you.