PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, that Ozma

ReloadPsi
07-08-2012, 04:11 PM
I found Ozma to be one of the easiest optional bosses in the series, but I still thought it was no pushover. I went after it after one of my friends managed to beat it and started bragging of having done it before me, but whined about what a long and difficult battle it was, having to deal with it using so many Curagas on itself, hitting his party with Curse and so on.

This struck me as a little unfair of him to brag about as I didn't even own the game myself, so I borrowed it from him, played it through, and took on Ozma myself, with a party of Zidane and Freya for damage, and Quina and Amarant for their Auto-Life abilities, as well as their damage-dealing skills being none too shabby.

Despite getting kicked to the curb pretty badly, I only took two actual attempts to beat it, the successful of which only taking two full rounds thanks to me spamming Thievery, Dragon Crest, Frog Drop and No Mercy.

I reckon this boss would've been a lot more challenging if they'd thought to give it a few more HP, but whatever.

Share your Ozma stories, people!

Gamblet
07-08-2012, 08:16 PM
I have beaten it with different party combinations pretty easily. My favourite tactic is equipping everyone with shadow absorbing equipment. Vivi casting Doomsday, Dagger summoning Ark, Zidane stealing and Freya using Dragon's Crest. No heals are needed because Doomsday heals everyone. Sometimes I have to throw a few Remedies, but that's it.
For me, the strategy for beating the boss is going all out, not wasting time on healing. I maybe a bit wrong, it's been a while since I last played this game.

Depression Moon
07-08-2012, 10:00 PM
I think I might've only beat Ozma in 2 tries too. I do remember the team I had was Zidane, Garnet, Quina, and Amarant. I can't remember the roles exactly, but I do remember Amarant's curse helping out greatly. I made him weak to shadow which caused him to hurt himself when he used Doomsday.

Freya
07-08-2012, 11:14 PM
To be honest, I can't remember ever trying Ozma. It's the only thing besides an Excalibur 2 run that i've never done in IX

Tigmafuzz
07-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I remember the first time I beat Ozma. It was anti-climactic.

Jiro
07-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Beating Ozma did feel a little anticlimactic because he had been built up to be so tough and I overprepared myself.

Gamblet
07-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Beating Ozma did feel a little anticlimactic because he had been built up to be so tough and I overprepared myself.

I guess that happened to me too.

DMKA
07-26-2012, 05:01 PM
I was really disappointed with Ozma, personally. That (useless) strategy guide for the game made him out to be some super out of this world hard boss. I beat him on my first try with ease. He's by far the easiest ultimate boss in the series, for me anyway.

Not the most disappointing though. That goes to the Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon in FFX. :p

Quindiana Jones
08-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I remember having to properly psych myself up for the fight. I spent ages just standing outside the spot where you meet Ozma, taking deep breaths and picturing how I was going to fight him. He was impressive in that playthrough.

In later playthroughs, however, I've been able to destroy him with very little difficulty, which is a bit of a shame.

Mercen-X
08-18-2012, 06:23 PM
I hate everyone who has beaten optional FF bosses...

I can't beat Ruby, Emerald, Omega, Ozma, (there's probably something in X I couldn't beat, though I can't think of it at the moment)... :eep:

Sephex
08-18-2012, 07:19 PM
This was one of the optional "super bosses" that I have never tried. I don't know, I guess I am just interested in it. After reading this thread, I now less interested in trying it because you guys are all saying how it is anticlimactic and boring! :mad:

Marshall Banana
08-18-2012, 07:44 PM
I beat Ozma with a party of level-one characters. =D! Most fun Final Fantasy challenge ever.

Jiro
08-19-2012, 04:50 AM
How? Why?

Goldenboko
08-19-2012, 04:58 AM
I beat Ozma with a party of level-one characters. =D! Most fun Final Fantasy challenge ever.

After beating him at level 40-ish, I can't imagine the undertaking this would be.

Sephex
08-19-2012, 05:08 AM
I remember reading a guide to do that for fun and a guide to do an insane speedrun to get the Excalibur II. I forget which one said it, but the author of one of the guides said something like, "If you are doing this to have fun, stop now. You will not have fun. You will be miserable."

I shook my head and had a good laugh.

Tigmafuzz
08-19-2012, 12:32 PM

It's actually pretty simple if you know how his AI works. You just need the right equipment and the right abilities set. There are probably a few youtube videos of it but I'm far too lazy to look for any.

Old Manus
08-20-2012, 03:32 PM
I just realised that I never bothered doing this part of the game. Thank God for Youtube, because now I can pretend to people on the internet that I have, and it was easy.

Marshall Banana
08-20-2012, 05:01 PM

It's actually pretty simple if you know how his AI works. You just need the right equipment and the right abilities set. There are probably a few youtube videos of it but I'm far too lazy to look for any.
Yeah, the challenge isn't really beating Ozma; it's keeping your party members at level one until you can face Ozma. Good times~ (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/126690-level-one-ozma-challenge.html)