PDA

View Full Version : Your three (3!) desert island FFs

Flying Arrow
07-08-2012, 05:14 PM
At first glance this is another 'what's your favourite FF' thread. But no! I'm going to force you guys to pick apart what you like about each game and then make some hard decisions.

Here's the deal: which of the three games would you bring with you to a desert island, never to play the other entries again? For example, I wouldn't pick FFVI, as good as it is. Yes, it has an amazing tale to tell (especially by today's gaming standards), but just doesn't present itself as well as VII to me (which makes sense, it being a SNES game). So VII wins out over VI. Now, I could pick both VI and VII, but then I'd have two entries that scratch a similar itch for me, and what about my other itches? As far as the 2D itch goes, there are other 2D entries that can do other things as well - FFV, for instance. Basically, you have three choices and you need to get the most value out of those choices.

So without further delay, here are mine:

FFV: Lighthearted in a very enjoyable way. The most fun Job system in the series. I come back to this game almost more than all of the others (or at least want to but can't find the time). This game scratches the 2D itch and has probably the most satisfying pure gameplay and adventure before the series started getting deathly serious about everything.

FFVII: My choice story-driven entry. To me it has the most interesting of all the FF stories, followed closely by VI and a little less close by X. It's probably the most memorable game I've ever played. It scratches the story-driven itch, and is put over the top by its adventure-game atmosphere, amazing setting, and beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds. VI is its closest competitor for the "story-driven" entries, but doesn't have the same aesthetic appeal.

FFXII: I said V has the best pure adventure, but I think XII comes close or even tops it. It has a wide open, living world that is just a ton of fun to explore. The Gambit system lets me explore and battle and a brisk, non-interruptive pace. It's the most unique in the whole series and a lot of fun to just run around and play. I think it has the most core content of all the mainline FF games (that is, sidequests that don't involve card games, Blitzball, Chocobo breeding, or other stuff that's a completely different flavour as the main game), and that means I can play it longer during a single playthrough than probably all of the other entries. It's also beautiful and glorious and a 3D JRPG done right.

What about everyone else? I'd like to keep this limited to the mainline games: I-XIII, including X-2 and XIII-2. No Tactics series or Theatrythym or Crisis Core or whatever. Just the numbered series.

Del Murder
07-08-2012, 05:34 PM
VI because it's my favorite.

Tactics because it will keep me busy.

XI if I have an online connection.

Sylvie
07-08-2012, 05:42 PM
VII because I know pretty much every nook and cranny of it. I was thinking along the same lines as Del with XI because of having an online connection, but I don't care that much. I'll pick VIII because it's time consuming and it keeps me busy. My last choice would have to be III for the NES probably.

ReloadPsi
07-08-2012, 06:56 PM
I, because it's my favourite and I can't get enough of the possible party combinations, IX, because I just love it so much but have never owned it, and XII, because I've still not done that much with it and I've finally decided after like five years that I do actually like it.

The Man
07-08-2012, 07:43 PM
VI: The game that got me into the series and pretty much an all-around perfect game.

IX: The best of the games after VI.

V: The main series entry with what is probably the best battle system.

Though, that said, I might replace one of those with XII, which gets pretty consistently good reviews from people whose taste I trust and which I haven't played.

Sylvie
07-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Though, that said, I might replace one of those with XII, which gets pretty consistently good reviews from people whose taste I trust and which I haven't played.
no

Alpha2099
07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
VII because that's my favorite.

V because the Job system offers some replayability.

I for pretty much the same reason as V.

Pike
07-08-2012, 10:04 PM
No Tactics series

Ooof that makes this a really tough question.

I'm inclined to say I, III, and either VI or VII. The first two for jobs/replayability, and the last one for story and nostalgia.

Del makes a good point about XI with an internet connection, though. I never played it, but an MMO would certainly pass the time on an island.

Del Murder
07-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Didn't see no Tactics. In which case I choose FFV which is Tactics lite.

Jinx
07-09-2012, 04:45 AM
one of them, cos Final Fantasy is a shitty series.

Quindiana Jones
07-09-2012, 07:11 AM
FFIX, because obviously I would pick FFIX.
FFXII, because it's a thoroughly enjoyable game in every sense (I even enjoyed grinding!) and Balthier.
FFXI would be a great addition, because if I'm on a desert island - with a PS2 and internet connection - then it would be a cool way to pass the time. I played it for the trial period, but I didn't fancy the subscription cost, otherwise it's definitely a game I'd've liked to sink my teeth into a little more.

Rantz
07-09-2012, 08:00 AM
VII, VIII and IX are the games I most often find myself wanting to replay, though I might replace one of those with XIV if MMOs are a valid pick. I like the 2D games, but I don't get the urge to replay them as much. X and XII are tempting, though.

Freya
07-09-2012, 09:17 AM
IX, X and possibly XII.

IX: Well this one is obvious.
X: It was the first one I really played after IX, it wasn't until later that I went back to the older ones before IX
XII: I like the older games but I think with XII, there is a bit of room to have more replayablity with all the job hunting. And if i'm alone on an island, it'd probably be nice to hear someones voices from X and XII. Else I'd probably go crazy with the lack of socialization.

Pete for President
07-09-2012, 11:54 AM
X, because I love it's world, has a well thought out story and tons of stuff to do.

IX, because I never really finished all the sidequests, so I haven't seen it all. Loved the world though.

And I'd probably pick one of the MMO's (even though I never played one) for the exploration part.

Jessweeee♪
07-09-2012, 02:54 PM
FFXII because not only is it one of my favorites, but it's perfect for this scenario because it has the most to do in terms of sidequests and such.
FFX, on the condition that I can try the International Version, because now that I have nothing else to do I can tackle the impossible monster arena and the dark aeons and such.
FFVIII because it's the most fun to break and it has my favorite world :3

EDIT:

Oooh but maybe I could substitute FFXI for FFVIII. Social needs partially fulfilled!

Jiro
07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I would pick VI, IV and XIV. VI is my favourite and has plenty of replayability. IV is an excellent title and one I have yet to finish and seems like another I would replay often. XIV because it's an MMO and would keep me busy until I was rescued. Hell, I might be able to ask Loony BoB via XIV to come and rescue me.

The cases of VII, VIII, and IX are much thicker than the others though so if I needed raw materials...

Alpha2099
07-09-2012, 04:26 PM
one of them, cos Final Fantasy is a titty series.
Not sure if you're serious, or just being facetious. My instincts say facetious.

Mercen-X
07-09-2012, 08:20 PM
no

stuff you...

Jinx
07-09-2012, 08:27 PM
one of them, cos Final Fantasy is a titty series.
Not sure if you're serious, or just being facetious. My instincts say facetious.

/applauds

I'd probably choose VII, IX, and X. They all have a very high replay value for me. But I'd probably want to take Shadow Hearts: Covenant instead. Cos then I could travel the world and remember all the cool places I'll never get to see because I'm stuck on a fucking desert island.

Yeargdribble
07-09-2012, 11:11 PM
It's funny... I wouldn't actually take my favorites I don't think. The first two are easy.

FFXI because there's a ton to do and I actually really do like it.

FFXII because even though I don't care for the story, there is a lot of gameplay and tons of side content.

After that would have to be VI or IX. VI is probably my favorite, but IX would keep reminding me of all of the other games and keep the nostalgia fresh in my mind.

Shiny
07-09-2012, 11:48 PM
FFX because I want to beat all the fiends in that damn Monster Arena.
FFVI because it's my favorite of the oldbies.
FFXIII because I'm playing it right now. Mine as well finish it.

Psychotic
07-10-2012, 12:11 AM
VII because it's the best.
IX because I've been meaning to replay it for ages and haven't got around to it yet.
VI as above.

Sephex
07-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Final Fantasy IV: This is my favorite game of all time, so including this would be a no brainier. If I am allowed to choose which version I get I would choose the PSP version since it has the most content to go through, thus, taking more time to play through in isolation!

Final Fantasy VII: Also a good game to consume a lot of time because I would attempt to do EVERYTHING in it. Plus, this is the perfect game to play multiple times without getting bored since I find that the self imposed challenges you can put on yourself would warrant multiple playthroughs. Plus, it is damn fun game!

Final Fantasy IX: I almost choose FFVI, but I realized that I have played that game way more that FFIX. While I can blow through FFIX with no problem, I would still have to recall and rediscover elements while playing through it again. Also, I like the more medieval based FFs more!

NOTE: If I am allowed to, I would exchange FFIX for FFXI to coordinate with other players to rescue me! :)

Depression Moon
07-10-2012, 03:21 AM
None, because how the hell would I play any video games on a deserted island?

Alpha2099
07-10-2012, 03:31 AM
None, because how the hell would I play any video games on a deserted island?
Don't you go bringing logic into this discussion. We don't tolerate that in these parts.

Jiro
07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
You'd be amazed at what you can do with a couple of coconuts and a palm leaf.

Quindiana Jones
07-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I'd be disgusted at what you can do with a couple of coconuts and a palm leaf, Jiro.

Sylvie
07-12-2012, 06:01 PM
you'd be amazed at what you can do with an electricity generator