PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play An Admittedly Tired YouTube Formula

ReloadPsi
07-10-2012, 02:18 AM
I somewhat enjoy Let's Plays on YouTube, but I find I can only watch those of games I have already actually played, or runs through really elaborate ROM hacks played by Let's Players I've already decided I liked, as I like them to be more informative than anything.

My favourites would be HCBailly, to whom I originally subscribed for his Mario Paint works, but later went on to tear the asshole off of every single offline FF bar number 10, and who I generally like except when he raises his voice or tries to impersonate Darth Sidious, ChuggaAConroy for his Pokemon LPs (and those of games I've actually played... we don't have many in common) and his enthusiastic commentary that just never seems to let up on the handy information or snarky remarks, and Sir Ron Lionheart, because he, when he isn't doing a horribly annoying falsetto for a female character, is just plain immensely entertaining, especially when he played Sonic The Hedgehog The Porcupine.

I'd get onto the Let's Play bandwagon myself, but unfortunately my laptop is a piece of crap and can't handle the recording process. I'd quite like to do Awful Fantasy 3 (which I would have to censor heavily due to there being penises and at least one Goatse) Super Mario World, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, as well as reviewing all my favourite childhood games. Oh, I'd totally have to cover my RPG Maker favourites too.

Discuss Let's Play any way you wish.

Jinx
07-10-2012, 03:00 AM
I tried to watch that Sir Ron Lionheart guy, and couldn't figure out what the fuck was going on with his voice. And then he'd make a really stupid joke and laugh at his own joke, and it was never funny.

krissy
07-10-2012, 03:13 AM
i always wonder why these 'bobbyjoe playing thru i am alive 1/23' clips get thousands and thousands of views
then i remember that there is in fact a mute button on youtube and people just wanna see what it plays like

Alpha2099
07-10-2012, 03:42 AM
Like you, I can really only watch an LP of a game I already played, or am about to play. While I don't watch them like regular TV programming, there are some folks on Youtube that I gravitate to. My favorite is GarlandtheGreat, who not only does LPs, he'll show speedruns and 100% completions and all kinds of things. I like him the best.

Old Manus
07-10-2012, 09:17 AM
80% of LP videos on Youtube are done by people who aren't funny, or think that talking in a stupidly exagerrated English accent is funny.

Of course, the GOAT is Necronopticous' FFIV. Followed closely by the guy who did all the Resident Evil games on SA. Aw man, I'm getting no work done this morning

Jiro
07-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Video LPs are not my favourite, mostly because I can't play youtube videos for like, ever. I read a good LP "My Life is a Goddamn Mess (http://lparchive.org/Persona-3/)" which is a fun little narrative infused story of Persona 3. I love when there's that element of creative influence as well as them just playing.

GhandiOwnsYou
07-10-2012, 09:59 AM
I've not been a huge fan of most Let's Plays, but I will admit to keeping Two Best Friends Play as a guilty pleasure. By proxy, Two Best Sisters Play is awesome too.

I Took the Red Pill
07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Back in my more sadistic days, when I was playing through I Wanna Be The Guy on Hard Mode, I had followed a certain youtuber who was also playing thru the game and I enjoyed his commentary. It looks like his youtube channel is down but I found someone who's mirrored his runthrough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcybcCVC3zk). It was nice knowing there was somebody else out there sharing my pain. I did beat the game though, and I'm not sure I would've had the heart to continue if not for his LP videos. So thanks, random internet dude.

edczxcvbnm
07-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Games are too long to watch a full Let's Play for the most part. I prefer people making a video where they either play a new game for about 10 minutes or a retrospective type thing. Both are shorter and cuts to the funny stuff instead of the boring middle of things.

The only two Let's Play that I have liked are

1) The play throughs of the the Space Quest game because the guy voiced all the dialog making it a bit of a new experience.

2) The Spoony Experiment's Let's Play of Swat 4 because each video was pretty short and it wasn't completely half-assed.

Jessweeee♪
07-10-2012, 07:16 PM
I don't really like video LPs. I love some of the screenshot LPs on this Something Awful archive though. Especially the pokerdoods.

The Let's Play Archive (http://lparchive.org/)

Jiro
07-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Yeah that place really is golden.

Pike
07-12-2012, 01:44 AM
I do love me some written Let's Plays. I've seen a couple of good video ones, as well, but overall I prefer a good old well-written story with screenshots.

Quindiana Jones
07-12-2012, 01:52 AM
MoogleFTW is often entertaining. (On Bobby Corwen): "He's not a monster, he's a love interest!" made me laugh and was the reason I subscribed.

Sephex
07-12-2012, 01:52 AM
I do a few here and there and come across as awkward, so I guess I am doing it right.