PDA

View Full Version : Which version of the Lunar games should I get?

Alpha2099
07-10-2012, 03:30 AM
In my quest to find more RPGs to play, I've decided to go get the first 2 Lunar games. Research tells me that I have two options: I can get the original Sega CD versions, or I can get the Playstation remakes. One would think the Playstation versions are better, and some reviews suggest they are. However, it seems like there are significant differences between the Sega CD and Playstation version of Lunar 2. The Playstation version cuts out dungeons and changes the movie sequences, among other things.

Basically, I am appealing to you gamers out there who likely have more experience than me. Should I go for the original experience and get the Sega CD versions, or are the remakes significantly better that I should get those instead?

Wolf Kanno
07-10-2012, 03:35 AM
I like the Playstation versions. They don't really cut out dungeons as much as remove a few throw away bosses that had nothing to do with the story in the first place. Kept a certain character in your party longer, altering the story for the better. Have better voice acting and cutscenes. Rebalanced the games to make them more user friendly and touched up the graphics significantly. It's pretty damn funny as well.

Alpha2099
07-10-2012, 03:38 AM
I heard that from some other folks as well. I already have the PS1 version of the first Lunar downloaded, and I wanted to be sure I was going down the right path before committing to the Lunar 2 download.

Nice
07-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Don't forget about the PSP remake of the first game. I think that's worth getting as it's up to date. I played Lunar 2 for the PS1 and it's one of my favorite RPGs so get that hands down!

There are differences between the versions but honestly, to practical it's cheaper to the get the PSP or PS1 versions. Plus you get bonus content in the PSP version of Lunar 1 and updated graphics (which don't count for much but hey).

Jiro
07-10-2012, 01:21 PM
The PSP version of Lunar is really good. I ought to finish that so I can get it back to Roogle.

Vyk
07-10-2012, 08:58 PM
The PS1 games had bonus material too. Not sure what PSP offers, but there's a nifty "making of" for each PS1 game. Physically having a copy would be ideal, for the art book, and trinkets they included, plus the box was glorious. Working Designs became a master of packaging after a while. I never played the SegaCD ones, but from what I gathered upon the "Complete" releases, the changes they were making were for the better, and upon learning some of them, I would have to agree. Can't really speak for the PSP version much. But that's the only other one I'd suggest, as the DS one was apparently insultingly horrible (Or was it a GBA game? I can't remember how long its been)

Roogle
07-10-2012, 11:34 PM
I want to recommend that you play the latest remake in the series, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony on PSP.

The only issue with that recommendation is if you plan to play both games in the series. Lunar: Eternal Blue, the sequel, is only available in English on Sega CD or Playstation, so you should choose one of those if you plan to play it.

The old Sega CD versions are my favorites because of my own nostalgia and childhood with the series. They are markedly dated games, and the game mechanics are a little hard to understand. Lunar: The Silver Star, for example, has no elements in its magic system, and Lunar: Eternal Blue made you pay to save your game.

Alpha2099
07-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Lunar: The Silver Star, for example, has no elements in its magic system, and Lunar: Eternal Blue made you pay to save your game.
Wow. That's...weird.

Raistlin
07-11-2012, 01:29 AM
I love the PS1 version of Lunar: SSSC, so I whole-heartedly endorse that option. It's a noticeable improvement of the original.

I haven't played the PSP version, but, FYI, the GBA remake is terrible.