PDA

View Full Version : Blitzball sign of victory

Jiro
07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
You remember how the blitzball sign of victory is the same as the prayer of Yevon, right? Well when Wakka first shows it to Tidus and then asks him to do it, Tidus is fucking useless at it. But then he says that any blitzballer would know it. So is there some bad translation going on here, or is Tidus really just whack?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4zjabFmxI1qj23h3.png

Jinx
07-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Wtf is wrong with Tidus' lips in this picture?

I'd say Tidus is just a fucking idiot. Remember, this is the man who MERE SECONDS before the scene you mention can't even repeat the fucking word "crusaders."

CREWS-OF-WHAT?

Jiro
07-10-2012, 09:48 AM
His stupidity for these first sections of the game make me wonder if there really is truth to the "Sin's toxins" thing.

Jinx
07-10-2012, 09:51 AM
His stupidity for these first sections of the game make me wonder if there really is truth to the "Sin's toxins" thing.

What's his excuse midway through the game when he calls Macalania Temple the "Macarena Temple?"

Tidus is such a tit.

Jiro
07-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Sometimes people stumble with words that have foreign sounds but honestly I think he might've taken one too many hits to the head.

Jinx
07-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Jiro, you're such an optimist. <3

Pete for President
07-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Possible answers on the prayer thing:
1: In Dream Zanarkand, maybe only the crowd does the prayer thing, not the players. Thus, Tidus might be clumsy.
2: Tidus is slow at it on purpose to not show Wakka that his world has something in common. Unlikely, but fun to speculate.

As for the crusaders thing:
1: The Crusaders were founded after the war between Bevelle and Zanarkand. It is very much possible Tidus has never heard of the Crusaders, as the Fayth that dream Tidus would not know about it.
2: (Maybe combined with #1) In a world where all is well and all you do is Blitzball, without getting taught history or whatever, it is possible you never heard of the term 'crusaders'. Especially if you're only 17 and your head does not develop beyond kick-ball-in-goal.

The Macarena Temple thing is awesome nonetheless. Epic face palming by Lulu iirc.

Jinx
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm saying that the word "crusaders" is not hard to repeat.

Pete for President
07-10-2012, 05:30 PM

For someone who has never heard that word before? Don't think we can judge. But hey, enough seriousness about derp-stuff.

Jinx
07-10-2012, 05:35 PM

For someone who has never heard that word before? Don't think we can judge. But hey, enough seriousness about derp-stuff.

Except the part where you can, becase it's in the exact same language he already speaks.

Jessweeee♪
07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I always assumed he was pretending to suck at it :confused:

Sephex
07-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Tidus may know the sign of the Blitzball hand thingy, but that doesn't mean he is good at it. He was probably one of those arrogant athletes that got high off his own fame.

"HA HA HA HA HA! I'M THE STAR OF THE ZANARKAND ABRAHAM LINCOLNS!! I DON'T NEED TO LEARN THE GANG SIGN!! HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!"

Pete for President
07-10-2012, 09:25 PM

Except the part where you can, becase it's in the exact same language he already speaks.

Not a valid argument. Imagine yourself hearing the following word for the first time and repeat it correctly (after all, it's in the language we were speaking before): Antidisestablishmentarianism

Jinx
07-10-2012, 09:32 PM
A 12-syllable-word over a 3-syllable-word?

It's one thing to be like OH WAKKA WHAT IS A CRUSADER

IT'S ANOTHER FUCKING THING TO SAY CREWS OF WHAT?

Sephex
07-10-2012, 10:28 PM
The more important question here is this: Why is Tidus a member of Jersey Shore in Jiro's original post?

Jiro
07-11-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm going to go with Pete on this one, and say that he obviously was too busy wtf'ing at the tropical village and Wakka's jamaican accent mon to really hear properly, coupled with the fact he'd never heard the word before. That has to be it.

Jinx
07-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Or just the fact Tidus is a fucking idiot.

Jessweeee♪
07-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Obviously they do the macarena in Zanarkand and it was totally intentional.

Tidus: They say he went to the Macarena Temple
Wakka: Macalania Temple
Tidus: Aye!

Jinx
07-11-2012, 02:06 AM
Omg, you're so right, Jesswee. He's still an idiot, though.

Sephex
07-11-2012, 03:21 AM

Sam, here is a video I made that you will love.
Tidus Tribute - YouTube (http://youtu.be/dtMxC1PKdEo)

Jinx
07-11-2012, 04:29 AM

Some parts of this made me giggle uncontrollably. Especially the picture of Christopher Titus.

Sephex
07-11-2012, 04:33 AM

Some parts of this made me giggle uncontrollably. Especially the picture of Christopher Titus.

One of my friends lost his **** when he saw that. Glad you enjoyed the vid!

blackmage_nuke
07-11-2012, 06:20 AM
I think the crusaders thing is totally legitimate. It's like the first time you hear the word euthanasia and you automatically think 'youth in asia' and go through a whole conversation wondering why all these young asians are killing people.

The slow blitzball sign of victory makes sense too. Its like if you know how to do the twist then you go to some foreign country and theyre all "Im going to show you how to do our religous cultural dance, it's sacred so if you do it wrong we may be offended", then they start doing the twist and youre all "I cant be doing this right... because it just feels like im doing the twist"

Jiro
07-11-2012, 07:02 AM
That makes rather good sense, man!

Pete for President
07-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Those are some great examples Blackmage.

blackmage_nuke
07-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Only since its the bb sign for victory it would be more like if they started doing 36502 but i dont know the name of this dance. I tried googling 'that dance where your arms go in a horizontal circle' but that didnt help at all, and it's not stirring the pot because that has your hands together as though your holding a spoon.

Jiro
07-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I have a feeling it has something to do with KFC as I seem to recall something about a beardy man and a cane doing that dance but then I also remember it happening elsewhere and yeah I don't have any fucking idea either dude.

NecroPoster
12-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Sorry for the necro post.

I thought the reason for the blitzball sign for victory being the same as the prayer of Yevon was because that's just what it evolved into over the thousand years. Kinda how a salute was originated from the action of a rider raising the visor on his helmet when encountering another rider to show he was friend, not foe (whereas now it's a sign to show respect to superior officers).

Could it also be that Jecht made that sign a lot, so thus when he, Braska, and Auron defeated Sin, that became the prayer of thanks (i.e. "victory" over Sin)?

Or it could always be that Tidus was just dense as all get out and didn't realize people were praying for the Abes' victory... but it makes you wonder... why were they praying to Yevon if he was still alive?

I'm more inclined to think it's the first idea... but who knows I guess.

Mirage
12-05-2013, 07:39 PM
I think he was just trying to mimic Wakka's motions without actually thinking about how it was similar to the blitzball sign until after he had performed it.

As for the foreign words, he's probably never heard them before, so idk. He might not be good with languages in general. Not everyone is good with words, and I'd think a sports dude might easily be one of those who aren't.

Jessweeee♪
12-06-2013, 05:16 AM
Originally I posted that I thought he was purposely faking but now I think he's just really uncertain about it. Like, to him it's this silly gesture everyone does at a sporting event, a sport that he knows Spira greatly enjoys as well. Wakka is making this motion like it's a sacred sign of respect and Tidus is mimicking it very cautiously. Like "For real? I have to be doing this wrong." It's like being told "hey we're going to communion, you know how to do that right? No? Okay the priest is gonna give you a little wafer. This represents the body of our lord Jesus Christ. Then you both do the prayer." And then he describes this motion that you recognize to be a high five and tells you that's the prayer.