PDA

View Full Version : Studying Snacks?

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2012, 08:07 AM
My whole life revolves around education at this point, and I'm sure that there are tons of grizzled veterans that pulled off 4.0 averages in University loungin' around here. I'm going through crunch time now, and I've got about a year to go before my bachelor's, and I have a very big problem.

I don't know what to eat.

Believe it or not, this is a very, very big deal for me. Maybe it's all in my head, but what I eat almost always affects my mood and my ability to pay attention. I would say that I'm in pretty good shape physically, but when final exam season starts up and I'm stick in my room for a week or two at a time (a bit of an exaggeration, but you get what I mean), I start to cave into a whole lot of junk food. I know that this is a problem, but I never pick the healthy alternative when I'm studying at 2am in the morning or finishing up that final essay.

Do you guys have any idea of what I could use as a healthy, but tasty, snack for my all-day textbook sessions? List as many suggestions as you want, please. I've had to learn the hard way that going through dozens of BBQ chips makes you feel like crap very, very quickly. :(

Old Manus
07-12-2012, 09:34 AM
<s>UNBAN SNACKS</s>

Custard Creams

Quindiana Jones
07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Sandwiches. Lots of sandwiches. Meat, salad, mustard. Sandwiches.

Pike
07-12-2012, 11:39 AM
I am a bad person to ask for this because I spent entire years of my college education eating nothing but Little Debbies. So, I will just let others answer for me.

Slothy
07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Eat a nice steak or grill up some hamburger patties. Fish loaded with butter or sour cream or something. The fattier the better.

I'm dead serious.

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I am a bad person to ask for this because I spent entire years of my college education eating nothing but Little Debbies. So, I will just let others answer for me.

I don't even think we have Little Debbies here in Canada... correct me if I'm wrong.

And Vivi22, I'll trust you. I'm taking summer classes so I'll save up some steak from the next barbeque and keep it safe for 'study time'. :)

Jinx
07-12-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't study.

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2012, 02:50 PM
That doesn't mean that you don't snack... :)

Pike
07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't even think we have Little Debbies here in Canada... correct me if I'm wrong.

They look like this:

http://www.selllittledebbie.com/Images/fundraising.jpg

Those Nutty Bars, especially. Those were my breakfast every morning for a whole semester once.

I Took the Red Pill
07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Apples, Sour Patch Kids, Adderrall. Perhaps the occsasional muffin. Washed it all down with coffee blacker than my soul

Slothy
07-12-2012, 04:13 PM

They look like this:

http://www.selllittledebbie.com/Images/fundraising.jpg

Those Nutty Bars, especially. Those were my breakfast every morning for a whole semester once.

I think we may have some variety of Little Debbie snacks at Wal-Marts here. Don't know about the rest of Canada. I seem to recall my wife buying some one time, but they might have been another brand.

Not that I'm advocating eating them for study food.

Quindiana Jones
07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Or ever. I mean, look at those things. Jesus Christ.

Slothy
07-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Well, there's that too, but everyone indulges sometimes. And with names like cosmic brownies and star crunch, what self-respecting starship captain could resist?

Shorty
07-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Baaabybel cheese! They aren't very manly, but it's a nice little burst of protein to help curb your appetite. Fruit and nuts are obvious, but it you want something a little sweeter, maybe try granola bars?

Also, these smurfing things are glorious.

Madame Adequate
07-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Fruit?

Shorty
07-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Fruit, Huxley. Fruit.

Jinx
07-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Fruit?

What's fruit, precious?

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Nevermind. We definitely have those.

Drat, these suggestions are going to send me down a dark, dirty road.

Slothy
07-12-2012, 05:15 PM

What sounds tastier though? Some store bought, mass produced, prepackaged snack cakes, or a freshly barbequed steak? I know which one I'd prefer.

Jessweeee♪
07-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Grapes. They're bite sized, not messy or sticky, and best of all they are fruit. The only downside is lots of sugar.

krissy
07-12-2012, 05:47 PM
we got that debbie stuff in the sobeys and other food stores around here

Raistlin
07-12-2012, 06:00 PM
This is what I do when it's time for all-day studying/writing/research:

1) Drink something that's not water. Caffeine doesn't really affect me, but a strong taste and carbonation helps keep me from getting drowsy. Coke is my drink of preference.

2) Have food that you can munch on continuously. It's not about filling yourself up; again, it's about keeping awake and focused. Pretzels, for example, are perfect for something that you can just keep eating all day.

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2012, 06:05 PM

1) Drink something that's not water. Caffeine doesn't really affect me, but a strong taste and carbonation helps keep me from getting drowsy. Coke is my drink of preference.

2) Have food that you can munch on continuously. It's not about filling yourself up; again, it's about keeping awake and focused. Pretzels, for example, are perfect for something that you can just keep eating all day.

That sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the advice.

And Vivi22, I'm actually going with the 'steak' advice as well. Sounds way too delicious to pass up. :)

Staying awake and energetic is usually the hardest part.

Jinx
07-12-2012, 06:08 PM

And Vivi22, I'm actually going with the 'steak' advice as well. Sounds way too delicious to pass up. :)

Medium rare, or nothing else, TT.

Trumpet Thief
07-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Duly noted. Time to go to class half asleep :(

Slothy
07-12-2012, 06:33 PM
That stuff might work for Raistlin, but I'd be fighting to stay awake after a couple of hours if I were drinking any amount of Coke and eating pretzels personally.

I prefer blue rare. Actually, that's kind of a lie. I'd prefer raw, but it's so hard to raise and slaughter your own meat these days.

Jinx
07-12-2012, 06:34 PM
That stuff might work for Raistlin, but I'd be fighting to stay awake after a couple of hours if I were drinking any amount of Coke and eating pretzels personally.

I prefer blue rare. Actually, that's kind of a lie. I'd prefer raw, but it's so hard to raise and slaughter your own meat these days.

I actually prefer plain ol' rare, but that's too much for most people. I've never had blue rare, but that's how my dad likes it. I imagine in the next 5 years, that's where I'll be.

Slothy
07-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I actually prefer plain ol' rare, but that's too much for most people. I've never had blue rare, but that's how my dad likes it. I imagine in the next 5 years, that's where I'll be.

Asking for blue rare in a restaurant is a pain because most cooks either don't know how to cook it that way, or simply refuse and you end up with rare. I've run into a few steakhouses where they get it right before though. If they're so afraid of me getting sick I'll sign whatever waiver they put in front of me, just cook my damn steak properly. Usually I'd send it back if I weren't so damn hungry whenever I go out to eat.

qwertysaur
07-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Asking for blue rare in a restaurant is a pain because most cooks either don't know how to cook it that way, or simply refuse and you end up with rare. I've run into a few steakhouses where they get it right before though. If they're so afraid of me getting sick I'll sign whatever waiver they put in front of me, just cook my damn steak properly. Usually I'd send it back if I weren't so damn hungry whenever I go out to eat.

I worked at a restaurant where we couldn't cook a burger under medium. I mean, chop meat and steak are different, though. But still. Stupid legal issues.

Also, most places I go and ask for medium rare, I get medium.
Then try asking for rare next time you go there and it will be cooked medium rare :bigsmile:

If you are studying for Math, then I recommend pie. If that math tomic is Trig, then pie is essential.

Whatever helps you focus is what you should eat. I like smoothies personally when I'm studying. :quina:

Jiro
07-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Twisties, cheetos. Paper.

Madame Adequate
07-13-2012, 01:49 AM

What sounds tastier though? Some store bought, mass produced, prepackaged snack cakes, or a freshly barbequed steak? I know which one I'd prefer.

Hmmm yes BBQing some steaks sounds like a very quick and not-time-consuming thing to do while searching for food in the middle of a study session :greenie:

Agent Proto
07-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Twisties, cheetos. Paper.

Avoid cheetos if you're writing a paper, though.

Slothy
07-13-2012, 02:00 AM
Hmmm yes BBQing some steaks sounds like a very quick and not-time-consuming thing to do while searching for food in the middle of a study session :greenie:

If you're not taking breaks occasionally then you're not studying effectively. And if you're taking too long to cook a steak the you're really just overcooking the steak and don't deserve to eat it anyway.

But if you are taking a break, and you're not ruining a good steak, it'll be great fuel to keep the hamster alive a few hours longer without needing to snack much.

Jinx
07-13-2012, 02:01 AM
wtf

people

you don't BBQ a steak

you grill it

fuck me

Shiny
07-13-2012, 02:59 AM
I have smoothies too and if they were around, peaches. Definitely need gum as well, minty chewing gum.

Shorty
07-13-2012, 03:03 AM
You people are ridiculous. A steak is a fucking meal. The request was for a healthy snack.

Jinx
07-13-2012, 03:20 AM
You people are ridiculous. A steak is a smurfing meal. The request was for a healthy snack.

Sometimes I eat four, five steaks in one sitting.

Who's a snack now? :smug:

Trumpet Thief
07-13-2012, 03:27 AM
I love you guys.

Shorty
07-13-2012, 03:47 AM
You people are ridiculous. A steak is a smurfing meal. The request was for a healthy snack.

I don't even... you are? Are they itty bitty steaks? Because steaks are still A FUCKING MEAL.

Jinx
07-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Sarah, I'll say it again.

You're a puss.

Shorty
07-13-2012, 03:58 AM
You're backward as shit.

NorthernChaosGod
07-13-2012, 04:07 AM

You're a snack.

Jinx
07-13-2012, 04:12 AM

You're a snack.

Hey Jules, what a nibble?

Miss Lady Shelly
07-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Gushers fruit snacks, Little Debbie brownies, and those snack packs that came with either crackers, bread sticks, or pretzels and cheese.

Yar
07-13-2012, 05:47 AM
I love pita and hummus :love:

craisins too :D

almonds, cashews, peanuts, walnuts, they're great when I want something crunchy

When I have time I like to make some fried tofu yummm

And you can never go wrong with fruits and veggies!! I love going to the produce section and buying fruits or veggies I've never eaten before. I ate a mango for the first time the other day, and I liked it!

Trumpet Thief
07-13-2012, 05:51 AM
My routine grocery stop with my roommate has ended with me purchasing (for studying):

1) Carbonated Water (inspired by Raistlin)
2) Homemade Sandwich supplies (Flambard)
3) Granola Bars (Shorty)

Fruits and vegetables are a given.

Keep the suggestions coming, and steak will definitely be a possibility in the near future. :)

NorthernChaosGod
07-13-2012, 06:00 AM

You're a snack.

I'm assuming this is 'want' instead of 'what', so yes.

Tigmafuzz
07-13-2012, 06:30 AM

You're a snack.

I'm assuming this is 'want' instead of 'what', so yes.

Cannibal.

NorthernChaosGod
07-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Like you don't want to eat her.

Tigmafuzz
07-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Like you don't want to eat her.

Not devour her, no.

Quindiana Jones
07-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Well, there's that too, but everyone indulges sometimes. And with names like cosmic brownies and star crunch, what self-respecting starship captain could resist?

It's the oatmeal creme pies that concern me.

Slothy
07-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Eat a good healthy meal like a steak and you won't have to snack. You also won't get the foggyness that comes with snacking on half the tit everyone's recommending.

Shorty
07-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Sure, a steak will fill you up, but most people aren't having steak for three meals a day. It's recommended that you have five portions of something throughout the day - three meals and a snack between breakfast/lunch and one between lunch/dinner. Then you won't be raiding cupboards at 11pm because what you ate throughout the day has kept you full.

Also, those fucking oatmeal pies have like 310 calories a piece. No thanks.

Jinx
07-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Sure, a steak will fill you up, but most people aren't having steak for three meals a day. It's recommended that you have five portions of something throughout the day - three meals and a snack between breakfast/lunch and one between lunch/dinner.

Then you won't be raiding cupboards at 11pm because what you ate throughout the day has kept you full.

Why not five small portions of steak a day?

Shorty
07-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Try it and tell me how that works out for you :greenie:

Slothy
07-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Sure, a steak will fill you up, but most people aren't having steak for three meals a day. It's recommended that you have five portions of something throughout the day - three meals and a snack between breakfast/lunch and one between lunch/dinner. Then you won't be raiding cupboards at 11pm because what you ate throughout the day has kept you full.

Everyone is different, all food is not created equal, and one size fits all recommendations of eating 5-6 times a day don't hold for everyone because of that.

Honestly, I eat maybe 3 times a day. More like 2.5 times a day sometimes if yesterday was any indication. I started the day with a breakfast of a reasonably sized steak, almonds, and a glass of whole milk mixed with a bit of 35% whipping cream because I'm experimenting with upping my fat intake while keeping carbs really low, and lowering my protein intake a bit. Had that at around 7am and I didn't eat again until 2:30. Wasn't hungry, wasn't having any cravings even when I got hungry, or any huge drops in energy. I just kept going along fine, had a light meal at 2:30, then ate again around 5 or 6 with my wife. Wasn't hungry again until I woke up this morning.

And you'll be happy to hear that pretty much every meal I eat everyday includes, if not steak, some form of beef Miss Boobs. Keeps me feeling nice and full all day long with plenty of energy.

Shorty
07-13-2012, 05:04 PM
That's a great recommendation for upping your fat content, but I don't think that steak is what most people are looking for when asking for healthy snack recommendations.

Quindiana Jones
07-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Steak and cheese sandwiches, job done. Now you people can stop having this ridiculous conversation. :roll2:

Slothy
07-13-2012, 05:12 PM
No, but they should be. And who's going to say no when someone says go eat a steak? Dirty vegetarians is who. Who wants to be one of them?

Jinx
07-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Steak isn't that bad for you. Sure, it's red meat. But it's just protein.

Quindiana Jones
07-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Also, if you want to ensure plenty of elbow room in a library, take a few hard boiled eggs.

NorthernChaosGod
07-13-2012, 11:44 PM

Or they could just eat better meals so you don't feel like snacking. And 5-6 meals a day is ridiculous.

Jiro
07-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Nah I could eat 5-6 meals a day. Yesterday I had a couple pieces of toast at 7:30am for breakfast and I was hungry again by half 8.

Slothy
07-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Not surprised if you only had toast.

Jinx
07-14-2012, 02:29 AM
Next time have peanut butter toast.

Iceglow
07-14-2012, 02:56 AM
smoked bacon. just roll it up and munch tastes fantastic. If you keep it refrigerated it'll be fine and you won't get food poisoning if it's fresh enough because it's been smoked (which does cook it enough to prevent food poisoning, what do you think smoked salmon is?) Once you've gotten a taste for smoked bacon as is, it can be hard keeping bacon long enough to cook.

Polish sausages such as Kielbasa or Hunters Sausage tend to do well as snacks too.

Fruits, Nuts are an obvious one, the cheese snacks works well too.

Also if you need a sweet tooth get a big multipack bag of stuff like M&Ms simply put them in a huge bowl (I suggest a mixing bowl) and every few minutes allow yourself one or two the instant sugar hit and everything should help.

Drinks wise, redbull can work in regards to limited bursts of studying, you'll find after the initial hit your body will crash all the harder for having it, best used only towards the end of the day so you can go to sleep once the crash kicks in. Redbull is too destructive for your liver and kidneys to put in all day unless you sip it slowly which no man has ever managed to do before. Coke does work too as will apple juice generally (though be prepared to piss a lot)

Or they could just eat better meals so you don't feel like snacking. And 5-6 meals a day is ridiculous.

Well what isn't mentioned there is the size those 5 - 6 meals a day ought to be. Clench both hands as fists, put them side by side. No meal bigger than that should ever pass your lips at any given time. When looking at it like that, it's quite easy to eat 5 - 6 meals a day. Especially when training hard in the gym.

NorthernChaosGod
07-14-2012, 03:09 AM

Well what isn't mentioned there is the size those 5 - 6 meals a day ought to be. Clench both hands as fists, put them side by side. No meal bigger than that should ever pass your lips at any given time. When looking at it like that, it's quite easy to eat 5 - 6 meals a day. Especially when training hard in the gym.
I know that they're supposed to be smaller meals, but there's no real benefit for eating 5-6 meals a day versus eating 3 meals a day. In fact, I get by on 2 meals a day quite often.

Raistlin
07-14-2012, 03:11 AM
Well what isn't mentioned there is the size those 5 - 6 meals a day ought to be. Clench both hands as fists, put them side by side. No meal bigger than that should ever pass your lips at any given time.

smurf, so that's why I stopped getting head from the ladies. I knew it wasn't because of the stalking! Er... nevermind. :shifty:

While it is true that many nutritionists do argue that eating more, smaller (as in, lower calories) meals is healthier, the physical size of the food does not factor into that calculation.

Jiro
07-14-2012, 03:35 AM
Not surprised if you only had toast.

Yeah but four pieces of it should generally get you further in the day. But then, I'm hungry an hour after any meal.

Slothy
07-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Yeah but four pieces of it should generally get you further in the day. But then, I'm hungry an hour after any meal.

You'd think so. But you'd be surprised how often you'd be wrong. Try skipping the bread and having some eggs instead. Even the eggs alone would have you feeling full longer than that.

Quindiana Jones
07-14-2012, 06:43 AM
While it is true that many nutritionists do argue that eating more, smaller (as in, lower calories) meals is healthier, the physical size of the food does not factor into that calculation.

The hand thing is a general measure of the size of one's unstretched stomach. The principle behind it being that you don't need more food than exactly enough to top you up. The problem with rule of thumb being that everyone has different thumbs.

The 5-6 meals a day thing is about improving one's metabolism. It's generally accepted that that sort of system will provide an efficient metabolism across the board. However, this only really comes into play for professional sports types, because the whole point of being a professional sportsman is that you are running at maximum capacity in every regard. The typical pleb who just does less than a dozen hours exercise a week and is other fairly sedentary doesn't need to worry about this.

Anyways, if you wanna stay fuller for longer, eat more fat. As Vivi said, chuck in some eggs or something with your toast.

NorthernChaosGod
07-14-2012, 08:42 AM
The 5-6 meals a day thing is about improving one's metabolism. It's generally accepted that that sort of system will provide an efficient metabolism across the board. However, this only really comes into play for professional sports types, because the whole point of being a professional sportsman is that you are running at maximum capacity in every regard. The typical pleb who just does less than a dozen hours exercise a week and is other fairly sedentary doesn't need to worry about this.

That's not even true though. >:[

Your metabolism increases when you eat based on the content of what you eat, not how often you eat. The same macronutrients spread out over 3 meals versus spread out over 6 meals will have the same effect on your metabolism overall.

Quindiana Jones
07-14-2012, 09:46 AM
That's my point, Julian, though I didn't phrase it particularly well. Eating more often only really matters to athletes, because they need the energy.

Psychotic
07-14-2012, 10:04 AM
why isn't this thread about 24/7 steak?

Quindiana Jones
07-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Isn't there already a steak appreciation thread?

NorthernChaosGod
07-14-2012, 10:13 AM
That's my point, Julian, though I didn't phrase it particularly well. Eating more often only really matters to athletes, because they need the energy.

Well considering even Michael Phelps sticks to 3 meals a day, I'm pretty sure everyone can do 3 meals a day with no negative effects.

Pike
07-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Eyes on Finding Food

Psychotic
07-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Isn't there already a steak appreciation thread?I feel like every thread should be a steak appreciation thread.

Trumpet Thief
07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Microwaveable bacon is just about the best thing ever. :colbert:

Madame Adequate
07-14-2012, 07:00 PM
I've commented on this before but I'm endlessly amused by the fact that the one topic that can get members all across EoFF to unite in the most serious debate and discussion is not the Israel-Palestine situation, nor the economic crises of the last 4 years, nor the erosion of civil liberties in much of the world in the name of "anti-terrorism", but it is in fact healthy eating.

Trumpet Thief
07-14-2012, 07:15 PM
To be fair, conversations about politics can turn into turd-flinging contests much faster than conversations about healthy eating.

Slothy
07-14-2012, 07:16 PM
I've commented on this before but I'm endlessly amused by the fact that the one topic that can get members all across EoFF to unite in the most serious debate and discussion is not the Israel-Palestine situation, nor the economic crises of the last 4 years, nor the erosion of civil liberties in much of the world in the name of "anti-terrorism", but it is in fact healthy eating.

Is it that surprising? Your average person doesn't know diddly about economics, could care less about what goes on in foreign countries (or hell, their neighbors homes if it doesn't affect them), and few people even understand why many of the liberty's being eroded are important anyway. But eating? We all do it, and you can bet everyone has ideas and opinions on how they prefer to go about it.

Besides, diet basically lies at the heart of problems like growing obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc. and all of the medical problems which that brings and our present health care systems are entirely unprepared for. So it actually is kind of important.

To be fair, conversations about politics can turn into turd-flinging contests much faster than conversations about healthy eating.

You'd be surprised.

Trumpet Thief
07-14-2012, 07:19 PM
I probably rushed to judgement there. I haven't read some of the more politically-oriented threads here. They're probably full of civil (if limited, as I'm my own Milf stated) discussion.

Quindiana Jones
07-14-2012, 09:08 PM

The honour of steak is in jeopardy, MILF. Is there any greater cause for confrontation?!

Slothy
07-14-2012, 09:12 PM
I probably rushed to judgement there. I haven't read some of the more politically-oriented threads here. They're probably full of civil (if limited, as I'm my own Milf stated) discussion.

Actually I was referring to the fact that discussion of diet and nutrition can sometimes get so heated you'd swear people thought you were killing kittens when you disagree with them. It's not as bad as politics usually, but some people can get really upset if you say something that disagrees with what they've been taught or come to believe in their lives, just like pretty much anything else.

Shorty
07-14-2012, 09:13 PM

Well considering even Michael Phelps sticks to 3 meals a day, I'm pretty sure everyone can do 3 meals a day with no negative effects.

Shut the smurf up, Julian. (http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/)

Eating small meals 5-6 times a day works for me to keep me full.

Pike
07-15-2012, 01:11 AM

I dunno, I've seen some food threads get pretty hairy

Trumpet Thief
07-15-2012, 01:18 AM

I dunno, I've seen some food threads get pretty hairy

I'll take your word on that one. :p

NorthernChaosGod
07-15-2012, 01:24 AM

Shut the smurf up, Julian. (http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/)

Eating small meals 5-6 times a day works for me to keep me full.
That's the exact page I first saw to make sure he did eat like that, so I don't know what you're getting at.

Eating 2-3 would work just the same.

Shorty
07-15-2012, 01:28 AM
What I'm getting at is that comparing any eating habits of Michael Phelps to any normal person is absurd because he clearly has a Zeus-sized stomach and works out eighteen hours a day to burn all those calories.

Tigmafuzz
07-15-2012, 05:49 AM
And all that cannabis probably doesn't make him any less hungry.

NorthernChaosGod
07-15-2012, 11:01 AM
What I'm getting at is that comparing any eating habits of Michael Phelps to any normal person is absurd because he clearly has a Zeus-sized stomach and works out eighteen hours a day to burn all those calories.

My point was that Quin said something to the effect of only athletes benefit or should eat 5-6 meals a day, when clearly one of the best athletes alive makes due on 3 meals a day. There is absolutely zero reason to eat more than 3 meals a day other than personal preference.

Quindiana Jones
07-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Eat more, get more energy. That was my ultimate claim, Julian. You helpfully corrected my assumption about the metabolism nonsense, but the principle was the same. Phelps is unusual in pretty much every regard, so he just lumps all his food into three meals, but it's common practice to eat the same amount over 5 or 6 meals. This is what the typical athlete does, hence my claim that eating more often can benefit athletes.

Jiro
07-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Not everyone has the luxury of being a full time athlete.

NorthernChaosGod
07-15-2012, 11:44 PM
I wish I could be a full-time athlete.

Eat more, get more energy. That was my ultimate claim, Julian. You helpfully corrected my assumption about the metabolism nonsense, but the principle was the same. Phelps is unusual in pretty much every regard, so he just lumps all his food into three meals, but it's common practice to eat the same amount over 5 or 6 meals. This is what the typical athlete does, hence my claim that eating more often can benefit athletes.

Well then, alright.

Jowy
07-16-2012, 04:40 AM
Two pieces of wheat toast with Nutella spread if I have a sweet tooth. Mini-pepperoni wrapped in a leaf of lettuce if I want something salty. Always satisfies. I will have a Choco Taco if I feel like being indulgent.

ReloadPsi
07-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Because I don't feel like sifting through seven pages to check if someone already said this, I will say it now:

Don't have study snacks. They'll distract you. Just have decent meals at the usual times.

Jinx
07-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Obviously the superior thing to do in this situation is to eat one massive meal at dinner time, and not eat again for 24 hours.

Slothy
07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Obviously the superior thing to do in this situation is to eat one massive meal at dinner time, and not eat again for 24 hours.

If Michael Phelps weren't such a pansy he'd probably do that, but not everyone can be a bad enough dude to eat one meal a day and save the president.

Quindiana Jones
07-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I eat my entire month's worth of food in one meal, and I fight bears daily. All of you are weak and inferior. Kiss my feet, you ponces.