PDA

View Full Version : Computer Vs Tablet

Jentleness
07-13-2012, 06:09 AM
My husband tells me he wants to buy a new laptop for work and I was thinking about giving him my laptop (I just bought it last September) and getting a tablet for myself. Now that I am no longer in school I realized that all I ever really use my laptop for is to chat and browse the internet, and once in awhile I use the kindle app or play a game of spider solitaire. When I do these things I usually have my laptop on my lap while I lean back against a stack of pillows on my bed. I was thinking that a tablet would be a lot easier to do this with and would be a lot more portable and easier to use than my smartphone when I am away from home. However, I am not tech savvy so I'm not even sure if tablets are all they are cracked up to be or if they're just the new fad. So, my question is for all of you who are techys out there:

What are the pros and cons of ditching my laptop for a tablet?

:hello:

Alpha2099
07-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Tablets are more portable, and if you only use it for basics like email and such, that's really all you need.

However, if you ever get the itch to start gaming, you'll be out of luck. You also can't really download much of anything, and I doubt you'd be using Microsoft Word on there for anything.

Shorty
07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
It seems like an expensive gadget to use for just the basics, as mentioned above. Having one would be nice, but my phone has about as much space and does just about everything a tablet can. They're neat and portable but the cost of say, a brand new iPad vs. what it can actually do is a little ridiculous.

If they could start packing 500 gigs or something, I might be more inclined to get one.

Sylvie
07-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I think tablets are stupid and I think touch screens are stupid. Your money will be better spent on a fully functioning computer and not something that has been dumbed down so that it looks futuristic and simple.

Pike
07-14-2012, 12:43 AM
While I do admire the portability of a tablet, ultimately I'm not interested until it can play all the games my desktop computer can!

Jinx
07-14-2012, 01:01 AM
My parents both have iPads, and I like to play on them. I would never spend that kind of money for one myself. I have a nook to read things on, a cell phone to play things and chat on, and a computer to internet on. Oh, and and iPod touch. I feel they're kind of wasteful.

ReloadPsi
07-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Well tablets are mostly touch screen, and I would rather bathe in your mother's menstrual discharge than use something that is mostly touch screen, so I'd go with computer.

GhandiOwnsYou
07-14-2012, 10:56 AM
I've got an iPad, and it comes in rather handy in a number of situations. It's definitely, 100% not a computer replacement though. There's a lot of stuff that you need a computer for. Anything typing-intensive will make you want to scream, so if chat is one of your main uses, I'd steer clear. Also, there's no real interface to get to the files themselves that are saved on an iPad, so if you post a lot on image boards, you're going to be out of luck. The only real workaround I've found was to use a photobucket app and then link images.

If you have access to a computer easily enough for certain things, then it's no big deal. They're a really convenient reference for stuff. I bought a motorcycle about a year ago and used the iPad to store all the manuals to fix it up, and being internet enabled meant it was easy to double check stuff. I also use it a lot as a reference for games, its convenient enough to leave it sitting in your lap while you play in case you want to double check something online. I also read in bed a lot with it. Lastly it's literally revolutionized my time in the bathroom. Incredible. Magazines beside the toilet is effing 1990's.

Mirage
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't get a tablet for chatting unless you feel really comfortable with typing a lot on touchscreens.

If you are, sure, why not?

Pike
07-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Lastly it's literally revolutionized my time in the bathroom. Incredible. Magazines beside the toilet is effing 1990's.

That's what books and Game Boys are for!

Sephex
07-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Once in awhile I will find an old EGM from 2005 or something and read it while in the crapper. I wonder what the Nintendo Revolution will be like!

Alpha2099
07-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Once in awhile I will find an old EGM from 2005 or something and read it while in the crapper. I wonder what the Nintendo Revolution will be like!
I have an old Game Informer magazine from about 8 years back talking about Halo 2. Supposedly that game was going to be released on something called "Xbox 2". I must have missed that one, plus the 358 other iterations.

Agent Proto
07-14-2012, 07:41 PM
If you want something portable, I'd probably invest in a netbook rather than a tablet.

escobert
07-15-2012, 12:06 AM
I think tablets are stupid and I think touch screens are stupid. Your money will be better spent on a fully functioning computer and not something that has been dumbed down so that it looks futuristic and simple.

For once I agree 100% with Sylvie. Especially the touch screen part. This is why I only get BlackBerries. I don't want your smurfin android touch crap :mad2: and I will NEVER buy anything made by apple again. They ruined my life when they stopped supporting MAC OS 8.6.

Bunny
07-15-2012, 12:09 AM
"My husband wants a new laptop.. I'm going to give him my old one that I don't want anymore so I can buy a new toy for myself!"

Sylvie
07-15-2012, 12:22 AM
If you want something portable, I'd probably invest in a netbook rather than a tablet.
Yeah, I have been using an Acer Aspire One netbook since Christmas and it's definitely the best simplistic computing device I can imagine having. Having more power would be great, but I can take this thing with me wherever and it doesn't get in the way, and I'm very happy with the battery life.

For once I agree 100% with Sylvie. Especially the touch screen part. This is why I only get BlackBerries. I don't want your smurfin android touch crap :mad2: and I will NEVER buy anything made by apple again. They ruined my life when they stopped supporting MAC OS 8.6.
For once!

"My husband wants a new laptop.. I'm going to give him my old one that I don't want anymore so I can buy a new toy for myself!"
+1