PDA

View Full Version : FFTA Appreciation Thread

Pike
07-15-2012, 01:32 AM
"No," everyone always wails, "Play the original Tactics."

"No, screw that," I say, "I'd rather play my silly little "kids'" game on my GBA that helped me get through an otherwise horrific sophomore year of college."

One of the best games with the FF name? Debatable, for sure. Some of the most fun I've ever had gaming? Oh yeah.

Who else loves this game?

Gamblet
07-15-2012, 01:57 AM
I still haven't played this yet because I do not own GBA, but I kind of think I like the original better.

Elpizo
07-15-2012, 12:11 PM
I adore this game. May have something to do with it being my first Final Fantasy, or how its storyline struck a chord with me because, well, who hasn't thought of living in a video-game sometimes? The great soundtrack and fantastic gameplay didn't hurt either. FFTA is a fantastic game, hands down.

Hollycat
07-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Love it. Not nearly as good as the sequel, but very good

Jiro
07-16-2012, 01:24 AM
I am a big fan of FFTA. It was probably the first time I played a game of these style (I don't want to say "tactical" and have MILF jump down my throat :greenie:) and spawned a love of the genre. There's something about the whimsical style that I really enjoyed, and it was the only GBA game I repurchased after my collection got nicked so there you go. They could go without the hour long introductory scenes on subsequent playthroughs though imo.

Heath
11-20-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm rather late to the thread, but FFTA and indeed FFTA2 are among the two most underrated games in the whole series. They're great fun, deceptively complex, and sadly over looked. The battle style is more complex than initially seems to be the case, and for my money, more fun than most of those found in the main series.

I think it's a real shame more people haven't played and appreciated the FFTA games.

Jowy
11-21-2012, 01:23 AM
all we ever did in journalism class in twelfth grade was link our GBAs together and do all of the cooperative battles for the super elite weapons. it was awesoooooooooome.

Yar
11-21-2012, 01:44 PM
I like it. :D Probably the first game where I actually did grinding for fun.

I wouldn't call it kiddy... I'd say it's "simplified". I spent a whole summer playing this game. When I first tried FFT, I was probably still too young to really understand all the mechanics, but this game helped me better understand FFT. I'd say that FFT is the better of the two, but TA is far from a "bad game", and it will always have a place in my collection.

Buuut, I didn't care much for TA2. :(

Flaming Ice
11-21-2012, 04:36 PM
I bought it and it wouldn't save so I couldn't even play it very much :cry:

Fynn
11-23-2012, 10:13 PM
I loved the story and how real it was in terms of the characters and their problems. There is some nice analysis of escapism here.

Skyblade
11-25-2012, 12:47 AM
"No," everyone except Skyblade always wails, "Play the original Tactics."

"No, screw that," I say, "I'd rather play my silly little "kids'" game on my GBA that helped me get through an otherwise horrific sophomore year of college."

One of the best games with the FF name? Debatable, for sure. Some of the most fun I've ever had gaming? Oh yeah.

Who else loves this game?

Fixed it for you.

I've always said this game is superior to the original Tactics. Not as good as FFTA2, but better than the original, and it has some great character work, not to mention some phenomenal stories and quests. This game is awesome.

Raistlin
11-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Eh. I understand why people like the game, but I couldn't get into it. I enjoyed it for a number of hours, but then just got tired of it. FFT has much more engaging characters and story.

Heath
11-25-2012, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=Raistlin;3170734FFT has much more engaging characters and story.[/QUOTE]

I was musing over that when I made my original post. I've never played FFT, though I'm aware of how highly rated it is. I wonder if the change of direction (and the fact that it may not be quite as good as the original) is one of the reasons why FFTA is rather unappreciated.

Bolivar
11-26-2012, 06:46 AM
It's a really cool game. The Quest/Ivalice team definitely got back to their roots in Tactics Ogre, with larger battle parties and larger 2d maps. I recognize that a lot of the work done in this game probably went back into the re-balancing of the Tactics Ogre remake, so I owe this game a huge debt. The gameplay was a lot tighter than FFT, not as unforgiving or exploitable from the time I spent with it. It also introduced us to the world of FFXII before the game came out, and that's a pretty awesome thing.

I could go on talking about why I didn't finish it or how it's an inferior spinoff, but this isn't the thread :choc2: