PDA

View Full Version : Game Over

Jiro
07-18-2012, 04:00 AM
http://images.cosplay.com/photos/17/178729.jpg

What's your favourite/least favourite game over screen in the series? Thankfully I haven't seen a lot of them in my time, but I always found the FF7 one interesting. The movie reel is just kind of sweet. FF8's broken gunblade is pretty cool too. Not a fan of FF10 or 10-2 with just coloured text overlay, very bland and very boring.

Here's some pics if you're a badass and don't know what they all look like. (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Over)

Del Murder
07-18-2012, 04:02 AM
The FF games are generally so easy that I don't even remember the game over screens. So thanks for the link!

One that will always stick with me is FFXI. That painful groan of your character hitting the mat will stick with me for a long time, and I got sad every time I saw it. Poor Tmoney. :(

Jinx
07-18-2012, 04:04 AM
FFIX's looks like a graver marker.

Hollycat
07-18-2012, 04:07 AM
The only ones I remember are Crisis core and XIII. Never seen the rest except 2-5

gonna give it to 8

oddler
07-18-2012, 05:49 AM
One that will always stick with me is FFXI. That painful groan of your character hitting the mat will stick with me for a long time, and I got sad every time I saw it. Poor Tmoney. :(

This is definitely the one I've encountered most. And that downward spiral sound when you level down. That one hurts your heart.

Hollycat
07-18-2012, 06:44 AM

This is definitely the one I've encountered most. And that downward spiral sound when you level down. That one hurts your heart.

What's this now about leveling down?

oddler
07-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Well, in XI, you don't actually die so it's technically not a game over. The penalty for being "downed" is loss of experience so leveling down is possible. And a real wound to your pride. :p

Wolf Kanno
07-18-2012, 09:56 AM
I may give it to VIII, though it's pretty difficult to see unless you encounter a Malboro or don't know how junctioning works. The image isn't what gets me though, it;s the fact it's where the Prelude theme plays that makes it nice to see.

Other than that, I kind of like VI's simply cause watching your character kneel down and stare at you. just kind of places the clincher of how badly you screwed up.

Gamblet
07-18-2012, 01:38 PM
I agree with Wolf Kanno with FF VI.

However, I like the FFVIII's the most because the picture makes me sad, seeing such a fine sword cut in half. :(

Sephex
07-18-2012, 04:11 PM
FFVI is the eeriest for sure. That or it implies that the party leader twisted his/her ankle and is really sad about it.

Slothy
07-19-2012, 05:37 PM
I quite like the look of VII, VIII and IX, but you know, I think I'll have to give it to Mystic Quest.

Give up? They might as well remove yes and change no to not smurfing likely! It's a slap in the face, the throwing of a gauntlet. Anyone who reads that screen and says "yeah, ok, why not?" is a coward.

Jowy
07-19-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm finally getting around to playing FFIX and seeing the game over screen more than I care to.

Trumpet Thief
07-19-2012, 10:57 PM
To agree with Sephex, the Final Fantasy VI one is definitely the most eerie for me as well.

In terms of hilarity, nothing tops 'You've been annihilated' in FFIX. Always made me feel useless as a kid. :p

Shorty
07-19-2012, 10:59 PM
FFVIII, because I saw that stupid thing so many goddamn times when I was trying to beat Ultimecia.

Quindiana Jones
07-21-2012, 07:53 PM
I used to intentionally allow myself to die in FFIX, because the game over music is really pretty.

sabin101
07-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Me and a bunch of friends of mine used to joke that when we die we will never have pretty music like in a final fantasy game lol. I really did like the ff 9 when you die it is really soothing.

Tigmafuzz
07-22-2012, 08:28 PM
The only time I've ever actually seen a game over screen in Final Fantasy was in IX. It my first time playing it and I was trying to beat the game quickly. I was only about level 30 at the very end. I thought Trance Kuja was the end... Necron OUT OF FUCKIN NOWHERE totally wrecked my shit.

I Took the Red Pill
07-22-2012, 09:38 PM
I was never particularly struck by any FF game over screens, of the ones I've played anyways, but the Chrono Cross game over (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZG8rPzR5ds) stuck with me. Reading "Fate has no forgiveness for those who stand against it..." prompted an "oh yeah? smurf you i'm gonna try again" response type of thing from me which led to a lot of Chrono Cross being played instead of homework or whatever else I should have been doing in middle school.

Mercen-X
07-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I was thinking of that screen while reading through this thread..

I would assume I've had a game over at least once through any game. I've been able to find the VIII pic online so I don't know if I saw it in-game or just online. I've died in VII more often than I care to mention... actually, it's far too often to count. Same is true for DoC and CC. I don't recognize the screen from IX so I can only assume I've never seen it in-game. Looks neat though. I'm pretty sure I've seen the game over screen a few times in X though I agree it's so bland I could hardly be expected to remember it. I've probably seen the game over for X-2 as well at least once. That XII pic doesn't look familiar, is it just the screen turning red over whatever battle you lost in? Never played Wings, TA, 13, Quest, Ring... I know I've seen the GO screen the one time for Tactics. Never played it again because I saw that screen after my first battle. Dissidia is basically a fighting game and, as in any fighting game, I usually lose fairly often. I definitely like the look of the screen though as well as the victory screen for winning.