PDA

View Full Version : Sewing

Jinx
07-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Recently I've gotten the itch to start sewing. I did it once when I was kid and still have the pajama bottoms, but never really got into it. I want to get my mom's sewing machine out of storage and teach myself.

Ultimately, I want to be able to make my own clothes. I'll probably start with a skirt, but would love to make/design my own dresses.

Does anyone else here sew? If so, what do you like to sew? (lol) What projects do you find easy/hard?

krissy
07-19-2012, 12:53 AM
i can do buttons

back in the fifth grade i made a plush red xiii stuffed toy

i have no idea where it is now

Pike
07-19-2012, 12:55 AM
I can wing sewing up holes in clothes. And by wing, I mean it doesn't work out very well because it looks terrible and knotty and comes undone within ten minutes.

NorthernChaosGod
07-19-2012, 01:00 AM
I can sew pretty decently, but I mostly just sew buttons on and fix holes/tears.

Shlup
07-19-2012, 01:01 AM
I sew sometimes. Not particularly well. I think the part that gets in the way of most people getting into it is not remembering how to thread the machine and getting frustrated when it jams, but once you get past that part it's easier to get into. I need to learn to follow larger patterns myself.

Sephex
07-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Since edczxcvbnm probably won't see this thread for awhile I am going to steal his thunder a bit and say that he's actually been getting good at sewing. He's been taking shirts that he thinks are too big on him and making them more fitted to his frame.

As for me? Well, my Home Ec teacher was never thrilled with me.

fire_of_avalon
07-19-2012, 01:48 AM
I used to sew a lot but now i just mend things. Sewing is all about repetition and patience.

Tigmafuzz
07-19-2012, 02:33 AM
I can sew pretty decently, but I mostly just sew buttons on and fix holes/tears.

Shorty
07-19-2012, 03:14 AM
I'd like to make a few custom things for myself, but I wouldn't want to put effort into making all of my clothes. My mama taught me to sew but it's been a few years and I'm probably terrible at it now.

All the chicks I work with are into crocheting. I teased them about being grannies at first but they're actually making really cute scarves :(

rubah
07-19-2012, 03:24 AM
I hemmed some pants for a friend to wear to a job interview last weekend. I hope I didn't impair his success!

I altered some shorts that were too big for me. It was just a trial run for a larger-scale pair of capris I want to alter, on a pair of shorts that I hadn't worn anyway, but I've taken to wearing them more since they dont' fall off anymore.

What I'd really like to do is get some solid color t-shirts and embroider stuff on them. I bought several colors of embroidery floss and am only hampered now by lack of a t-shirt and design that gets me excited enough to make the effort.

Freya
07-19-2012, 04:45 AM
I need to learn cause I need to alter some clothes to fit me better but i'm too lazy to learn.

Miss Lady Shelly
07-19-2012, 06:48 AM
I have always wanted to learn how to use a sewing machine but never got around to it.. my grandma has one of the older ones (that literately fold up into a desk) and was going to teach me how to use it but well things happen and she just is not in the right state of mind anymore. :(

But I do know how to sew by hand.

For projects and what not idk if cross stitching and needle pointing count...but i love to do them

Jinx
07-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Marshall Banana
07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
I enjoyed sewing a lot more when I had a Hello Kitty sewing machine (RIP).

I especially liked making fleece hats. I made a Moogle hat for a giveaway at EoFF at one point!

The pom-pom squeaked like a dog toy. XP

Jessweeee♪
07-19-2012, 05:36 PM
I only make blankets and sometimes repair seams in my clothes. I never realized how much being left handed can affect how you cut until I took a sewing class. I'm bad with anything that isn't a straight line, so everybody gets blankets for Christmas. My favorite kind of blanket to make has a little pouch on it so you can fold it into a pillow.

Pike
07-20-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't even know how to use a sewing machine. My mom is pretty handy with one, but she's like 800 miles away.

Slothy
07-20-2012, 11:59 AM
I learned how to sew a bit several years ago when making a halloween costume. There's a reason I don't often participate in halloween though. Largely because I'm obsessive when it comes to doing it right if I'm going to do it at all. Case in point; when a man wants a cape for a Superman costume that doesn't look like someone tied a blanket around their neck, he's got to make it himself.

Jiro
07-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Could probably still remember how to do it if I tried. Buttons and shit. I made a bag once.

~*~Celes~*~
07-22-2012, 01:48 AM
i can put buttons back on! that's about it though. :D