PDA

View Full Version : The Great Debate: Inverted vs. Non-Inverted Controls

Pike
07-23-2012, 01:50 AM
You know what I'm talking about. Inverting the Y axis on games (usually first person ones) so that pushing up makes you look down and vice-versa.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbXPB33g6EKgkMookfEEpRVVqJgXsmWnaEo8_LAMYTZePLQPSHBganMc-qsg

The idea is that someone who usually plays inverted feels like they're controlling the back of the character's head, whereas some one who doesn't feels like they're controlling the character's eyes or hands or whatever.

So tell me, EoFF. Which is the superior your preferred control scheme?

Inverted is always the right choice

Madame Adequate
07-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Inverted controls are Correct and non-inverted are deviant, and a sign of mental deficiency that calls for immediate institutionalization.

Da Vinci, Mozart, Turing, and Szilard all used inverted controls. Loony Bob, Joel Holmes, and HC do not. This says it all.

Jinx
07-23-2012, 02:06 AM
I can't handle those sort of games anyways. Inverted would fuck things um worse for me.

Del Murder
07-23-2012, 02:31 AM
I played inverted for a number of years but now the default is non-inverted and I just got used to it (too lazy to always change settings).

Agent Proto
07-23-2012, 02:58 AM
I just stick with what is default to the game settings.

NorthernChaosGod
07-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Inverted is for normal human beings.

Slothy
07-23-2012, 03:19 AM
I used to play inverted. Then I got into socom which defaulted to non-inverted and I never bothered to change it. Now I'm incapable of playing a console shooter with inverted controls. That doesn't bother me though since the question of which controls are best for shooters is only correctly answered when one says mouse and keyboard.

Strangely though, inverted isn't a problem for me when playing flight games. Mind you, if you use anything else for controlling a plane or space ship you should be ridiculed and shamed into correcting your error.

Jessweeee♪
07-23-2012, 03:47 AM
For me it depends. First person is non-inverted because it's from the PC's point of view. Third person is dual inverted because you're swiveling a camera around the character in a circle. If I can't change the setting for both axes, then regardless of the POV they must be the same. I never understood why devs let you invert Y and not X in so many games. Is it difficult to do in some situations?

escobert
07-23-2012, 03:53 AM
non-inverted. ALWAYS.

Or, Mouse & Keyboard ftw!

Sephex
07-23-2012, 04:07 AM
Inverted feels more natural for me. When I was a kid, non inverted felt better. Don't know why my mind made the switch on me!

Hollycat
07-23-2012, 06:15 AM
Inverted controls are Correct and non-inverted are deviant, and a sign of mental deficiency that calls for immediate institutionalization.

Da Vinci, Mozart, Turing, and Szilard all used inverted controls. Loony Bob, Joel Holmes, and HC do not. This says it all.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dlKb7t8nzzI/T6so0QW-0pI/AAAAAAAAGks/77PhVZnEml0/s1600/kenny-and-the-dragon.jpg
(This is the picture that came up when I googled Name Dropper Archer, get over it)

I only use inverted if I can set it to both horizontal and vertical, because it feels awkward as heck to only use one.

VeloZer0
07-23-2012, 06:29 AM
I actually like to re-map my y-axis control to the left/right and x-axis to up/down just to enhance the challenge of the gaming experience.

blackmage_nuke
07-23-2012, 06:30 AM
First person = Inverted

Third person = Non - Inverted

Repeated Switching required = Inverted

oddler
07-23-2012, 06:33 AM
I've always been an inverted guy. It just feels... good. Oh yeah.

Shattered Dreamer
07-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Why in the blue hell would I invert my controls? Up should be up & down should be down god damn it!

Jiro
07-23-2012, 09:40 AM
How is this a debate? This makes even less sense than Soda vs Pop. There is clearly only one choice. Inverted controls are god tier. There are no other tiers. Inverted or nothing. Get out on my plane of existence anywanker who wants to use non-inverted. There's a reason it's called "non-inverted," in much the same way as the term "illegal" is built on the correct thing to do - "legal." Stop being idiots and put it on inverted.

Quindiana Jones
07-23-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm Schindler's Listing all you freakish inverted scumbags. What is wrong with you?

Slothy
07-23-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm Schindler's Listing all you freakish inverted scumbags. What is wrong with you?

Obviously their brains are wired backwards. Or I guess upside down might be more accurate in this case?

Del Murder
07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Hello my opinion is obviously the correct one that all intelligent people have and therefore all who disagree with me are wrong and stupid. This is an original and not played-out persona to adopt on the Internet.

Sephex
07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Hello my opinion is obviously the correct one that all intelligent people have and therefore all who disagree with me are wrong and stupid. This is an original and not played-out persona to adopt on the Internet.

Not impressed Del Muder! We've all been to 4chan!

Quindiana Jones
07-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Wow Del! That's an excellent impersonation of a whiny little bitch you've been doing for 11 years!

This is your best impersonation yet! - Quin

Slothy
07-23-2012, 03:06 PM

Might want to avoid the census reveal thread then.

Everyone else totally needs to come and see the census results though. They're happening right now in the General FF section.

Del Murder
07-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Not impressed Del Muder! We've all been to 4chan!
I must be the only person left who hasn't ever visited that site.

Might want to avoid the census reveal thread then.

Everyone else totally needs to come and see the census results though. They're happening right now in the General FF section.
Well it's tradition in the Census thread. Though I will say it's a been bit more controversial than usual this year.

Slothy
07-23-2012, 04:25 PM
I must be the only person left who hasn't ever visited that site.

I've been linked to it without realizing, but I've never actually visited it intentionally.

Though I will say it's a been bit more controversial than usual this year.

I don't know what you mean. :laughing:

Madame Adequate
07-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Whoa hey let's all slow down here a second. It's not a persona when it's a factual truth. I'm smarter than someone with severe brain damage - that's not bragging or a persona, it's just reality.

And if you use non-inverted controls, you have severe brain damage.

Slothy
07-23-2012, 05:17 PM

Or use a mouse.

Hollycat
07-23-2012, 05:22 PM

Or use a mouse.

Or like simple controls.

Sephex
07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Non-inverted controls are not that bad, I guess. You can OH SH--

http://i.imgur.com/vWoxF.gif

Quindiana Jones
07-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't understand it, but those dogs are adorable.

Sephex
07-23-2012, 07:26 PM
I was basically saying that my brain locks up when faced with a sudden decision with a non inverted style.

I also wanted an excuse to post the gif.

edczxcvbnm
07-23-2012, 08:30 PM
I use mainly standard controls. I use inverted controls for 3rd person games but even that is changing because some games like Rainbow Six have slightly 3rd person views and it is too annoying to change it up.

Also, non-inverted is a stupid term coined by asshats that refuse to call standard controls standard because it isn't their standard. When I go into a game to change control styles it doesn't say non-inverted. That term doesn't exist because it is simply the standard normal controls ;D

I Took the Red Pill
07-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Standard controls for almost everything, if I find myself flying a plane or jet in a game, then I do prefer those controls inverted. But I don't usually end up in this situation. Also, this:

Also, non-inverted is a stupid term coined by asshats that refuse to call standard controls standard because it isn't their standard. When I go into a game to change control styles it doesn't say non-inverted. That term doesn't exist because it is simply the standard normal controls ;D

Sephex
07-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I use mainly standard controls. I use inverted controls for 3rd person games but even that is changing because some games like Rainbow Six have slightly 3rd person views and it is too annoying to change it up.

What a non-inverted response from you!

Sylvie
07-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I use "non-inverted".

Tigmafuzz
07-25-2012, 09:06 PM
I can use inverted or non-inverted equally well. I prefer non-inverted, but if the game doesn't have an option to change the controls (or if I'm just too lazy to even go to the options menu and check) I have no problems with inverted.

Pike
07-25-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm kind of impressed. I'm so used to inverted that I literally can't play something the other way.

Hollycat
07-25-2012, 09:10 PM
I don't understand.

Where are all these inverted games? I play almost nothing but standard.

Slothy
07-26-2012, 12:20 AM
I don't understand.

You're young. There was a time and a console when standard wasn't really standard. Those days were the late 90's and that console was the N64.

Hollycat
07-26-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't understand.

You're young. There was a time and a console when standard wasn't really standard. Those days were the late 90's and that console was the N64.

I couldn't afford a 64. I had a nes.

Quindiana Jones
07-26-2012, 02:15 AM
In Okami, I always had the X-axis on Standard, and the Y-axis on Inverted. So the right thumbstick essentially controlled the camera like a joystick.

Madame Adequate
07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't understand.

Literally every game ever made lets you invert controls. I quite sincerely cannot remember the last game which did not give you that option. And I would know because such a game would be unplayable tripe and, thus, would stick in the memory.

e; I'd like to relate a happy tale to you folks. My friend Michael, when we first became friends, was a non-inverted player. Over the years of playing with me he got so used to inverted controls whenever I handed something off to him or whenever we couldn't be bothered retrieving his account that he now plays only with inverted controls.

So remember, even if you've used incorrect controls all your life, there is still hope.

Mirage
07-26-2012, 09:52 PM
In first person view, non-inverted. In third person view, inverted. This applies to both axes.

If you use inverted in first person view you are fucking insane and need to get your brain rewired.

Jiro
07-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Literally every game ever made lets you invert controls. I quite sincerely cannot remember the last game which did not give you that option. And I would know because such a game would be unplayable tripe and, thus, would stick in the memory.

e; I'd like to relate a happy tale to you folks. My friend Michael, when we first became friends, was a non-inverted player. Over the years of playing with me he got so used to inverted controls whenever I handed something off to him or whenever we couldn't be bothered retrieving his account that he now plays only with inverted controls.

So remember, even if you've used incorrect controls all your life, there is still hope.

Sadly I have a tale of the opposite, but I am endeavouring to hand him the controls while set at inverted so that he may relearn what it is like to be human.

GhandiOwnsYou
07-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Inverted Controls. There is no excuse for ever using standard controls. Every great once in a while I'll come across a rail shooter segment in a game with standard controls locked in and it makes me want to burn society to the ground. The most blasphemous of sins however, is allowing vertical inversion and not allowing horizontal inversion. WTF game developers.

Jiro
07-29-2012, 03:53 AM
I don't understand.

Oh it's clear that you don't understand. Because you see, it's inverted vs non-inverted. Not "standard." Don't even try to pull that move. Inverted is standard, is normal and is master control.

Del Murder
07-29-2012, 05:15 AM
I think it's like driving on the left or right side of the road. There's no real correct way to do it, it's just what you're used to.