PDA

View Full Version : For those who live in big cities...

Iceglow
07-23-2012, 09:03 PM
For those of you who live in big cities, when was the last time you did something really touristy?

I spent my day today helping a friend who is partially disabled (has trouble walking due to bad legs) with her children (the kids are 9 and 6), they live in Dorset normally so I went as assistance for her to the Tower of London then round most of Central London on a tour bus. We had quite good fun and even though I knew most of the things we saw already (it being like the 5th visit to the Tower for me and most of the places like Whitehall, Hyde Park, Parliament, Belgravia and the CBD I knew already from living in London all my life) I learnt a few new facts about places. I've already been asked by another friend if I don't mind doing the same sort of thing again later in the summer perhaps if she can get time to come up to London since she's never done the Tower of London.

For those of you who don't live in big cities, when was the last time you did something really touristy anywhere that was really cool?

Shorty
07-23-2012, 09:11 PM
When my mom came to visit me in May we went to the touristy parts of the city that local inhabitants avoid like the plague. It was actually really fun, though! We went to Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf and all the cool shops down there, went to the aquarium and the SF Science Center. After that we headed to Napa to be wine country tourists and I got smashed while my mother was my DD. It was awesome.

Jessweeee♪
07-23-2012, 10:37 PM
While my city is kind of a small city, there are tons of touristy things to do around here. I went to a water park last month!

Shattered Dreamer
07-23-2012, 10:48 PM
One of my favourite things to do here in Dublin is touristy stuff. I love going to museum, galleries etc Although I've never been to the Guinness Storehouse strangely enough :O

Miriel
07-24-2012, 12:35 AM
We get a lot of out of town visitors who always want to go see all the typical tourist attractions. At one point, I had to declare a moratorium on friends and family dragging us to attractions in San Francisco. If you want to come crash on our couch, totally fine. Eat whatever is in our fridge, fine. But do NOT expect me to go to Fisherman's Wharf ever again. Jesus christ.

I've been to the Golden Gate Bridge, a LOT in the past few years. Everybody wants to see it.

I still haven't visited Alcatraz or Angel Island though. ;_;

Shorty
07-24-2012, 12:47 AM
I still need to go to Golden Gate :(

Shlup
07-24-2012, 12:56 AM
I live near and work at Disneyland so I obviously don't mind going there 5-6 times a week. I haven't done any of the touristy LA stuff (Hollywood, etc) since I was a kid though.

Pike
07-24-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm in the closest town to Yellowstone National Park that isn't a tiny village with 300 people in it, so I've been to Yellowstone about fifty million times. And I have seen Old Faithful like four million times. It's gotten to the point that going there (usually to drag relatives there) is more of a pain than anything. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful place, but AUGH.

Anyways when Huxley was here we went to all the museums and stuff. It was pretty fun!

Agent Proto
07-24-2012, 01:24 AM
I live near DC, which is a hot spot for tourists, so when I do visit, I usually come as a tourist. The last time I went was with my fellow EoFF drink mixes during that East Coast meeting. I want to try to visit with my brother one day just to check out some other places I missed out.

Quindiana Jones
07-24-2012, 02:22 AM
I did a tour of all the museums in Manchester once. It was good fun. Ended up almost starving to death, though.

rubah
07-24-2012, 05:44 AM
the last time we went to little tokyo, I guess. I'm so lammmmmmmme

edczxcvbnm
07-24-2012, 06:28 AM
I work in Chicago and about the only touristy sort of thing I have done was watch some set stuff from the Dark Knight and Transformers 3 and even that is hesitant because it isn't every day they do big huge blockbusters in your city and it had been a long time since before Batman came along.

I like going to the Museums here when there are new exciting exhibits...or on adult night at the Planetarium where you can look through the big telescope out back (totally awesome). I walk by the Sears Tower every day and have only been in it once and that was for a meeting. I have never been to the top of what was once the world's tallest building.

Quindiana Jones
07-24-2012, 10:06 AM
If I ever went to Chicago, I would do a Dresden Tour. "And this is where he rode the dinosaur... he's been shot here before..."

Old Manus
07-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Apparently I get free entry to Cardiff Castle for not being a tourist, but I've never been inside.

Shiny
07-25-2012, 06:24 AM
I went to American Museum of Natural History. It was my first time being there. Definitely better than the MoMa. I think I shall go to Museum of Sex next. Just out curiosity.

Quindiana Jones
07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm fairly certain the exhibits are well guarded there, Shiny.