PDA

View Full Version : Soundtrack.

Quindiana Jones
07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Wolf Kanno, in the Rating thread, mentioned the joy of Penelo's theme. This made me think about the soundtrack to this game, and how I can't remember much of it. Well, any of it, to be honest. Certainly, it's been a while since I last played FFXII, but I can usually remember at least one track from an FF!

So, I journeyed 'cross the internet, to ye olde Youtube to search for some music. After going through a few, I realised that I remembered everything to do with the track that happened in game, from the layout of a particular area to the moves of a particular boss. This is quite surprising, I think. I always loved the FFXII soundtrack when I was playing it, and listening to them again I still love them, yet I couldn't remember any!

My conclusion is that FFXII's music complemented the game phenomenally well, in a way that I don't think the other FFs I've played have. This soundtrack is a total chameleon, blending in with what's going on so thoroughly that I didn't even notice them enough to remember yet, when prompted, cause all the memories of the game to come flooding back.

So, yeah. Good job FFXII. There's another reason why you're one of my favourites.

Alpha2099
07-24-2012, 04:55 PM
FFXII falls into the category of "Games for which I have the soundtrack, but never finished the game." It's a good all-around soundtrack, though it made me miss Nobuo Uematsu a lot. Uematsu's music was unique for almost every single track - they would all stand out in their own way. But if I listen to the FFXII soundtrack straight through, it puts me to sleep. With the way things are so heavily orchestrated, they start to sound alike if you listen too long.

Now there are some songs I like a lot, particularly "Rabanastre Downtown". And when I mix the soundtrack in with all my other music, it works quite well to hear the songs in doses. So I think it's a nice album, but not one that I can really listen to straight through, unlike FFVI or FFVII.

Fynn
07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
It certainly is an excellent soundtrack. I feel people look for melodies that stick in your head too much to appreciate this little gem - there's so much more to the aesthetic values of music.

ReloadPsi
07-25-2012, 01:32 PM
I found FFXII on the whole a bit forgettable, even though I to this day still try to like it because I think it actually is a good game, but there are a fair few tracks in the game that stuck with me.

The one in Rabanastre is absolutely fantastic.

Also Lowtown, because there was a shop in the town where I went to uni named Dalan's.

Jessweeee♪
07-25-2012, 06:53 PM
FFXII has a fantastic soundtrack. I especially like the Boss Battle theme.

DMKA
07-26-2012, 04:29 AM
Of all the FF games, this one has the least memorable soundtrack to me. Heck, I was just playing less than an hour ago for about four hours, and aside of the boss theme, the victory fanfare, and the level up music, I can't remember any of the music.

It's not that it's bad, in fact, I think it's great how it compliments your surroundings without being intrusive. It's just there to polish the experience, rather than being all like "HELLO I'M MUSIC AND I'M HERE, HEAR HOW BEAUTIFULLY COMPOSED I AM!" It probably does a better job than any of the other FF games in that department. The price it pays, however, for not standing out, is...well, not standing out.

Maybe that's really what a soundtrack should be.

ReloadPsi
07-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Also the music at the Phon Coast sounds like it belongs in the snowy, ambiguously holiday-themed level of a 3D platformer.

krissy
07-28-2012, 02:19 PM
i also think it's a perfect fit to the game i think
even if it's not as memorable as some of the other ones

Slothy
07-30-2012, 06:26 PM
For all of the talk of the soundtrack not being as memorable (and I'd agree to a certain extent since it was less focused on melody than previous entries) I will never forget the music that plays in Rabanastre. No matter how much I might want to sometimes.

ReloadPsi
08-02-2012, 01:55 AM
For all of the talk of the soundtrack not being as memorable (and I'd agree to a certain extent since it was less focused on melody than previous entries) I will never forget the music that plays in Rabanastre. No matter how much I might want to sometimes.

Why would you want to?

Bolivar
08-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Hitoshi Sakimoto is probably my favorite composer in this age of gaming. Whenever I hear his music, I get so excited that I'm playing a video game!

ReloadPsi
08-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Hitoshi Sakimoto is probably my favorite composer in this age of gaming. Whenever I hear his music, I get so excited that I'm playing a video game!

I... I think I get that vibe too. When I'm not playing FFXII I mostly think about what I don't like about it, but as soon as I either play or even just watch it I feel like I'm having fun, and I think the music is a big contributor to that.

Slothy
08-02-2012, 03:10 AM
Why would you want to?

Because I honestly heard it so many times I got sick of it. I definitely heard it more than any other song in the game.

Alpha2099
08-02-2012, 04:19 AM
Why would you want to?

Because I honestly heard it so many times I got sick of it. I definitely heard it more than any other song in the game.
That sentiment holds true for virtually every video game ever made. Some songs are good to hear now and then, but in heavy rotation, they become instruments of torture.

ReloadPsi
08-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Why would you want to?

I should count my blessings that I find it so infinitely excellent that I can't see myself ever tiring of it then.

Wolf Kanno
08-06-2012, 08:52 AM
I really liked the soundtrack but I agree it doesn't quite have the emotional impact that previous FF soundtracks had, partially because I feel VA took that job so music is more for the sense of environment than to tell a story. With that said. Battle for Freedom is still one of the best Final Boss themes in the series, easily as good as Dancing Mad and One Winged Angel.

For me FFXII's soundtrack is a bit like VIIIs, musically speaking, its all really good and there are some great tracks, but I feel it falters a bit as a soundtrack because it doesn't quite have the ability to link the music to the places, people, and moments in the game. I mean Penelo has a great theme song that is catchy and really works for the character, but Lady Ashe's theme is boring and doesn't really even feel like a character theme.

ReloadPsi
08-10-2012, 10:47 PM
With that said. Battle for Freedom is still one of the best Final Boss themes in the series, easily as good as Dancing Mad and One Winged Angel.

Wait, how'd that one go again? **Goes and YouTubes it** I spent most of that boss battle talking over it because I was getting annoyed with the constant queuing of spells :P

EDIT: Ooh snap, I think I like this one already and it's been like thirty seconds. Honestly, I don't know how I was able to find so much of this game so forgettable; it's like every time I go back to it I find something in it that I should've found the first time.

Also I've been whistling the Imperial leitmotif for freakin' days now, specifically the version that's heard wandering Archades. Love that tune.

Elpizo
08-11-2012, 08:33 PM
With that said. Battle for Freedom is still one of the best Final Boss themes in the series.

Quoted for truth. I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one who loves this theme. It's one of the reasons that the Undying is one of my favourite final bosses in the series.

Sephex
08-16-2012, 02:13 AM
I agree with the general opinion that this soundtrack blends more into the game, which I actually welcomed. I love me some Uematsu, but I don't think his style would have suited how this game flowed.